Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Lou Gets Hired As Head Coach What Are Your Thoughts On..
(02-05-2023, 01:06 PM)TheFan Wrote: Do you think people from the defensive side might follow Lou if they're going to be getting promotions? Not sure how much that typically happens but might be a concern for either Lou or Brian leaving. 

It's a possibility, but remember, when Zim left to be HC in Minnesota he thought Guenther was going with him to be promoted to DC. Paulie decided to stay and accept the Bengals DC position. If Bettcher or one of the other internals gets offered the DC job here, it's a much better deal for them also becausr they have JoeyB as QB as well and that makes defenses better. With Murrays part time replacment on the field, the defense in Arizona is going to be on the field a lot, and we all know how that works out. There are a lot of considerations in play
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:25 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: None of those guys keep their players disciplined like Lou does

It’s all a big downgrade no matter how you slice it

x2 and his scheming and adjustments are nuts.

Dude is a beast.

Lou > Zim …. all day every day.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 10:20 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m pretty sure he’s not. Casear2727 might no more.

It almost has to be Bettcher dont you think?

Zac is huge on continuity, Bettcher has the experience, knows the system and the players...a new DC may want new position coaches, our D doesnt need a major shakeup.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's a possibility, but remember, when Zim left to be HC in Minnesota he thought Guenther was going with him to be promoted to DC. Paulie decided to stay and accept the Bengals DC position. If Bettcher or one of the other internals gets offered the DC job here, it's a much better deal for them also becausr they have JoeyB as QB as well and that makes defenses better. With Murrays part time replacment on the field, the defense in Arizona is going to be on the field a lot, and we all know how that works out. There are a lot of considerations in play

That's what I think plays out.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 03:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It almost has to be Bettcher dont you think?

Zac is huge on continuity, Bettcher has the experience, knows the system and the players...a new DC may want new position coaches, our D doesnt need a major shakeup.

No because he’d leave with Lou I’m scared. But I don’t think Golden was a great fit.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No because he’d leave with Lou I’m scared. But I don’t think Golden was a great fit.

He could, they did coach together at the Giants.  But Bettcher and his family are from Indiana and he was previously fired in Arizona.  Also, does Bettcher want to be DC under a defensive HC?  Thats kind of like an experienced OC going to work for an HC that calls the plays himself.  Lastly, Bengals DC might be a better job than Cardinals DC, especially with autonomy for the DC here.

I'll try to get the feel from some of the defensive players as to their feelings regarding Bettcher.

Reply/Quote
Broncos former(?) DC, Ejiro Evero? He's supposedly leaving.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No.

You have to go with a diversity hire.

https://www.nfl.com/news/niners-lead-way-in-comp-picks-for-diverse-rewards-policy

49ers are cleaning up with the new rules in place. We would be stupid to hire white guys as coordinators with the type of advantage we could get for a non white coordinator leaving and getting a head coaching promotion. Which if we have prolonged continued success assistant coaches will be promoted elsewhere.

Racist as hell rule. But I didn’t make it.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately Fangio was hired by Miami and Zac would have gone full throttle after him. He loves Fangio.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: No.

https://www.nfl.com/news/niners-lead-way-in-comp-picks-for-diverse-rewards-policy

49ers are cleaning up with the new rules in place. We would be stupid to hire white guys as coordinators with the type of advantage we could get for a non white coordinator leaving and getting a head coaching promotion. Which if we have prolonged continued success assistant coaches will be promoted elsewhere.

Honest question: If this is the current rule, that’s fine. How can Cincinnati make the rule work to the Bengals’ advantage?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think I prefer Bettcher who knows Lou's system

He might know the system but he wouldnt have Lou's forethought of how to adjust in games, especially his brilliant half time adjustments. That's all Lou. You can imitate someone but you will never do it as well as them.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: No.

Yeah it pays to discriminate white coaches.  They need to petition to the league for even higher picks for the least represented minority.

If they hire Jackie Chan to be a figurehead, give Bettcher a raise to actually calls the plays.  Have Chan show his stunt work and when another team signs him in a year or two maybe we get a 2nd rounder. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 05:41 PM)GodFather Wrote: He might know the system but he wouldnt have Lou's forethought of how to adjust in games, especially his brilliant half time adjustments. That's all Lou. You can imitate someone but you will never do it as well as them.

Do you know Bettcher?  That is an odd comment if not...

Reply/Quote
I can't imagine a new DC doing a better job than Lou has done. But life goes on.

Regarding Marvin and Zim, they are both in their mid-60's. Their time has passed. There are some young gun defensive position coaches out there who would be great for us and who would be more than eager for the opportunity. Zac can have his choice. He has only made one bad coaching hire and it has been corrected.

As for Del Rio, screw him.
Reply/Quote
On a serious note, while Bettcher and Anarumo have worked together for a while, Bettcher always ran a primary 3-4 defense during both stops as a DC, while Lou has ran a base 4-3. Should Lou leave and Bettcher become DC (which is probably the most likely scenario), do you think he makes major changes to the scheme/playbook?
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 06:28 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: On a serious note, while Bettcher and Anarumo have worked together for a while, Bettcher always ran a primary 3-4 defense during both stops as a DC, while Lou has ran a base 4-3. Should Lou leave and Bettcher become DC (which is probably the most likely scenario), do you think he makes major changes to the scheme/playbook?

Good point, but a couple things.

Any NFL D Coordinator should be able to coach either base D, 3-4 or 4-3.  We have zero 3-4 LBs and would have to replace every DE on the team if we cahnged our base to a 3-4.

Also, Lou runs a 4-3, bastardized 3-4, 5-3-3, etc, almost every game.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 06:28 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: On a serious note, while Bettcher and Anarumo have worked together for a while, Bettcher always ran a primary 3-4 defense during both stops as a DC, while Lou has ran a base 4-3. Should Lou leave and Bettcher become DC (which is probably the most likely scenario), do you think he makes major changes to the scheme/playbook?

I think Bettcher goes with Lou.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 06:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think Bettcher goes with Lou.

I think a DC under a guy like Lou would be handcuffed a bit.  A team is hiring Lou for his defensive prowess, not sure why Bettcher would want that over being more in control of his own defense, especially since he has been a DC. 

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 06:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think a DC under a guy like Lou would be handcuffed a bit.  A team is hiring Lou for his defensive prowess, not sure why Bettcher would want that over being more in control of his own defense, especially since he has been a DC. 

Unless we expressly tell Bettcher he won't become the DC, I think he stays. A DC under an offensive coach is a much better job than a DC under a defensive coach, because of the additional control.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 05:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Do you know Bettcher?  That is an odd comment if not...

I thought it was too. You can get a good understanding of how someone thinks working with them.
Reply/Quote