Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Lou Gets Hired As Head Coach What Are Your Thoughts On..
(02-05-2023, 06:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think a DC under a guy like Lou would be handcuffed a bit.  A team is hiring Lou for his defensive prowess, not sure why Bettcher would want that over being more in control of his own defense, especially since he has been a DC. 

Upon further research Bettcher has a history at Arizona as DC under Arians. Don’t know the relationship status could be sketchy as he expected to replace Arians and they passed him over. Could be just fine but it adds a little.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 07:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Upon further research Bettcher has a history at Arizona as DC under Arians. Don’t know the relationship status could be sketchy as he expected to replace Arians and they passed him over. Could be just fine but it adds a little.

I said that in one of my first replies to you, lol.  I have no idea the status of his opinion of the Cardinals organization today.

Reply/Quote
Now there are 3 in the Cardinals race for HC. Brian Flores has a 2nd interview

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
DC Paulie G? Paul Guenther. loved his double A gap stuff
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 07:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I said that in one of my first replies to you, lol.  I have no idea the status of his opinion of the Cardinals organization today.

Ha ha
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 07:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: No more retreads.

Right, all of these folks bringing up names that have been around forever are barking up the wrong tree.  It's clear to me that the direction the management is going with regards to coaching is modern minds for modern times.

In the event that Lou is offered and accepts a HC position, my prediction is that his successor will likely be another candidate that (seemingly) none of us are familiar with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:53 AM)GodFather Wrote: We are all holding our breath this offseason to see if Lou gets a head coaching opportunity. He deserves it with what he has done here the past couple of years, and I will be happy for him but in all honesty selfishly hope he's back next season in stripes taking this defense forward.

BUT let's say he does get a head coaching job elsewhere, what are your feelings bringing back Zimmer? He is close with the Brown family, and the only two DC's we've had these past 20 years that made a huge impact was Lou and Zim.

So, would you want Mike Zimmer back or someone else?

Zimmer just signed up with Prime Time @ Colorado i believe
Reply/Quote
Am I missing something about the mentioning of Ghosts of Bengals Past?

I don't think the Brown family ownership is going this route in their thinking. They are all in on Zac. If any coach leaves, Zac pretty much gets to make the choice for the replacement. That's at least how I perceive things right now with the organization. In Zac the Brown family trusts.
Reply/Quote
whomever we get to replace lou needs to have that ability to make those great adjustments that Lou was doing for us. Romo called it "next level" or something like that. This made our D look better then the talent we actually had.
I pray he stays but not holding my breath.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 11:42 AM)kalibengal Wrote: whomever we get to replace lou needs to have that ability to make those great adjustments that Lou was doing for us.  Romo called it "next level" or something like that.  This made our D look better then the talent we actually  had.
I pray he stays but not holding my breath.

This is way easier said than done.  The only guys that have this record of great adjustments are already DC's or HC's, maybe a fired HC?  We had no idea Lou was this good, was he even in our initial Top 5 candidates?  Every team wants what you are demanding and not many have it, thus Lou is getting HC looks.

Reply/Quote
I don't think Lou gets the AZ job. I've always thought Flores was a good HC and surely he will get another shot. Although his lawsuit doesn't help him. Their other finalist is an offensive guy which is what the NFL HC jobs are gearing towards.

If Lou does somehow get the job, then I think you have to hire a DC from within. Surely some of our assistants have learned from what Lou did for preparation, play calling, and whatnot. I think I would rather have an assistant continue the current trajectory of our defense than have some big-name come in and try to change it.

What really seems to make this team and its success work has been continuity in all areas.
Reply/Quote
AZ already has had potential candidates back away because they don't want to have to deal with Kyler Murray. Maybe Lou should do the same.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: AZ already has had potential candidates back away because they don't want to have to deal with Kyler Murray. Maybe Lou should do the same.

You can bet some of the candidates have been digging into Kyler.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You can bet some of the candidates have been digging into Kyler.

thats a big handcuff to slap on your wrist if its your First HC gig...

of course a defensive guy would hire an OC and let him deal with it  (And have that as an excuse if needed)

Some potential DC replacements  (list i found not one i created lol)
  • Sean Desai, Seattle Seahawks assistant head coach
  • Ryan Crow, Tennessee Titans outside linebackers coach
  • Demarcus Covington, New England Patriots defensive line coach
  • Christian Parker, Denver Broncos defensive backs coach
  • Marquand Manuel, New York Jets defensive backs coach
  • Patrick Graham, Las Vegas Raiders defensive coordinator
  • Bobby Babich, Buffalo Bills linebackers coach
  • Aden Durde, Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach
  • Vic Fangio, former NFL defensive coordinator and head coach
  • Eric Henderson, Los Angeles Rams defensive line coach/run game coordinator
  • Brian Flores, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive assistant
  • Jerod Mayo, New England Patriots inside linebackers coach
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: thats a big handcuff to slap on your wrist if its your First HC gig...

of course a defensive guy would hire an OC and let him deal with it  (And have that as an excuse if needed)

Some potential DC replacements  (list i found not one i created lol)
  • Sean Desai, Seattle Seahawks assistant head coach
  • Ryan Crow, Tennessee Titans outside linebackers coach
  • Demarcus Covington, New England Patriots defensive line coach
  • Christian Parker, Denver Broncos defensive backs coach
  • Marquand Manuel, New York Jets defensive backs coach
  • Patrick Graham, Las Vegas Raiders defensive coordinator
  • Bobby Babich, Buffalo Bills linebackers coach
  • Aden Durde, Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach
  • Vic Fangio, former NFL defensive coordinator and head coach
  • Eric Henderson, Los Angeles Rams defensive line coach/run game coordinator
  • Brian Flores, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive assistant
  • Jerod Mayo, New England Patriots inside linebackers coach

Great list but I thought the finalists were Lou, Flores, and the NYG OC.

Reply/Quote
Flores would be the perfect fit in Arizona. He would make or break Kyler. Either way, it would be the biggest problem solved for the Cardinals.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Great list but I thought the finalists were Lou, Flores, and the NYG OC.

well i ment for our replacement lol (if the need arises)
List is a bit outdated as Fangio is no longer available
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well i ment for our replacement lol (if the need arises)
List is a bit outdated as Fangio is no longer available

I know Zac loves him some Fangio. I’m pretty sure that would have been his first call. Ross wants to win. They showed that with their shenanigans with Flores. I can’t be convinced Flores accusations aren’t well founded. I bet Fangio who spurned Payton didn’t go for the gusto and a huge salary and the weather lol. Caesar may be right about Bettcher. He may not follow Lou to Zona. But I’m optimistic our staff stays intact. Next year get raided. I don’t know how things go in the draft of FA but I think we will be right there again in 23. Three years of success and we will get raided. Right now Callahan not calling plays helps us keep him and teams not hiring DC’s as head coaches as well helps us with Lou. The only thing helping us not get raided is Zac not being boy wonder like McVay.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 04:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I know Zac loves him some Fangio.

The Dolphins just hired him as DC
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 07:56 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Dolphins just hired him as DC

Yes that is correct as we alluded to that in previous posts. He spurned Payton for Miami.

Reply/Quote