Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ima say this and it is what it is
(08-15-2022, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.

Every star player that misses practice time is justified.

But if a player that is struggling with his game misses practice it is because he is a lazy POS who just does not care.

Jackson Carman always had work ethic concerns, and his performance on friday has shown that he really hasn’t improved at all.

Add on top of that his new injury, and it’s completely fair to rag on the guy. For whatever reason
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.

Every star player that misses practice time is justified.

But if a player that is struggling with his game misses practice it is because he is a lazy POS who just does not care.

That the two situations are entirely different?

That a guy should care about losing his starting job?

That trust exists after a player earns it? Yeah, that's not unique to athletes, that's the entire world. If a person has already shown they are both good and trustworthy, they are given more leeway than someone who hasn't been around long and while they have been around they've been unreliable and unproductive.

Try to Fred less.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:25 PM)higgy100 Wrote: No disrespect but not sure you or anyone else really has any idea how things actually work in a professional sports organization. On the contrary, they're going to actually take far more precaution whatever the issue actually is with JC because it is just a week plus and one game into a preseason. Last thing they want/need is the injury (or boo boo as many of call it) to get worse. A couple days off is what they're banking on here.

Are you not anyone else? Or are you in a professional sports organization?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Not ready to give up on Carman by any means, but he really needs to start showing something SOON for me not to panic about the LG spot going into the season...because I am getting there.

Him being injured just compounds this. It's not his fault and I don't blame him for being injured, but him missing reps is not good for him and the LG spot in general. It's just unfortunate.

At this point if things are shaky going into the season at LG - it's more on the FO than it is on Carman. They drafted this guy, they knew what they had going into the season, and they were content with it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except how many of those fan favorites are in danger of losing their job to their backups due to poor performance?

This year, most of the starting spots were already set going into camp.  I think the closest is CTB sitting with injury when some were hoping he would beat out Apple.  Or Bates, but he's technically still unsigned.

Billy Price, on the other hand, had a fairly strong contingent of people using his constant injuries as an excuse.  

Carman certainly didn't impress against the Cards.  You would like to see him out there, but if the trainers feel it's best to hold him out, then it's probably for the best.  If his struggles continue, it's probably time to add a vet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not ready to give up on Carman by any means, but he really needs to start showing something SOON for me not to panic about the LG spot going into the season...because I am getting there.

Him being injured just compounds this. It's not his fault and I don't blame him for being injured, but him missing reps is not good for him and the LG spot in general. It's just unfortunate.

At this point if things are shaky going into the season at LG - it's more on the FO than it is on Carman. They drafted this guy, they knew what they had going into the season, and they were content with it.

Carman’s beat this year. He’s shot. No way he’s suddenly turning it around this season.

Next year? Maybe that’s a different story. Maybe he can turn into a decent back up
Reply/Quote
I'm not impressed with the kid, but maybe he had the injury before the AZ game, played through it, and aggravated it further ?

Regardless, I'm all for bringing Spain back for insurance.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What I see here is they guys who already didn't like Carman taking a victory lap. 

Why shouldn't they?  What exactly has Carman done that should make anyone reconsider their position on him?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why shouldn't they?  What exactly has Carman done that should make anyone reconsider their position on him?

It's Fred's contrarian shtick. He thinks he's smarter than us all. 

I get not giving up completely on the guy, but to criticize those of us who are down on him because of the ACTUAL physical evidence presented is just...weird. 

Every Bengals analyst I've seen out there has been highly critical of Carman's performance from not only Friday but his entire career. Not sure how we can sit here and be positive about what is going on? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of the negative comments towards Carman are out of frustration with the guy.It’s hard for people to empathize with this guy after his performance last year,and then with a year of experience under his belt he comes back in the first pre-season game and still doesn’t show any improvement,or maybe even looks worse than before.

Remember,this guy was a second round pick.I think they even traded up to get him.He received alot of hype,and people were expecting more than what he’s shown thus far,and,people are getting frustrated because opening day NFL season is rapidly approaching.

We all know that with a good OL this team will be hard to stop.Here’s hoping that he or Volson or Smith can just step in there and dominate that position so we don’t have any weak links on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I get not giving up completely on the guy, but to criticize those of us who are down on him because of the ACTUAL physical evidence presented is just...weird. 

Every Bengals analyst I've seen out there has been highly critical of Carman's performance from not only Friday but his entire career. Not sure how we can sit here and be positive about what is going on? 

Exactly, just what has Jackson Carman done in a Bengals uniform to make anyone think that he's going to live up to 2nd round pick status?  I mean, we continue to give Drew Sample grief about being over drafted, why all of the coddling of Jackson Carman?  I think that some on here just have a real soft spot for Carman, because he was a hometown product.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Decision not to practice was trainers', not Carman.

What I see here is they guys who already didn't like Carman taking a premature victory lap.  Reminds me of the Sewell fans when Chase had so many drops in preseason last year

What has Carman done to make anyone like him?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That the two situations are entirely different?

That a guy should care about losing his starting job?

That trust exists after a player earns it? Yeah, that's not unique to athletes, that's the entire world. If a person has already shown they are both good and trustworthy, they are given more leeway than someone who hasn't been around long and while they have been around they've been unreliable and unproductive.

Try to Fred less.

Sometimes players don't make it in the NFL just because they don't have enough talent.  Every guy who does not make it is not a lazy POS who does not care.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What has Carman done to make anyone like him?

Why should I have a personal hatred for someone just because he is not a good football player?

Again you are proving my point.  A star player misses tiem with an injury it is no big deal.  But A players who struggles gets called a POS when he misses time with an injury.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I get not giving up completely on the guy, but to criticize those of us who are down on him because of the ACTUAL physical evidence presented is just...weird. 

Show me the ACTUAL physical evidence that Carman is healthy enough to practice but is just choosing not to because he is a lazy POS.

Weird.
Reply/Quote
People still falling for Fred’s lawyer schtick
Reply/Quote
I mean, I'm pretty much over Carman, but not because he refuses to practice through an injury. I think the new generation of NFL players actually care about how their bodies will function once they retire and I think that's admirable.

I am over Carman because he sucks when he plays the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:32 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean, I'm pretty much over Carman, but not because he refuses to practice through an injury. I think the new generation of NFL players actually care about how their bodies will function once they retire and I think that's admirable.

Super admirable. His elbow hurts, and he doesn’t want to have his elbow hurt more

Very admirable. I respect the young players for not wanting to have an ouchie elbow. I mean, imagine being 60 with a nagging elbow?

Admirable.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:32 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean, I'm pretty much over Carman, but not because he refuses to practice through an injury. I think the new generation of NFL players actually care about how their bodies will function once they retire and I think that's admirable.

Jackson Carman had some good games last season and a couple bad ones but signs were pointing up going into this year. One bad preseason game isn't likely to make or break his career. Especially when every other member of the Offensive Line played the same way. It looked like none of them were ready to play.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Super admirable. His elbow hurts, and he doesn’t want to have his elbow hurt more

Very admirable. I respect the young players for not wanting to have an ouchie elbow. I mean, imagine being 60 with a nagging elbow?

Admirable.

Unironically, yea. There are stories about guys who play through multiple knee injuries and struggling to walk in their 40s and 50s. Then there's obviously the whole concussion issue. 

Quote:The University researchers determined that “among this historical cohort of former NFL players, over 90% reported sustaining at least one musculoskeletal injury during their professional careers. Respondents self-reported that many of these injuries required surgery, resulted in their professional playing careers prematurely ending, and still affected them.”

“The additional findings highlight the large percentages of NFL players reporting surgery (60.7%), a premature end to their professional football career (40.3%), and still being affected by injury (74.8%), further augment the concern about the effects from musculoskeletal injuries on overall functioning across the lifespan,” commented the investigators.”

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/health/retired-nfl-players-carry-considerable-damage-into-life-after-football/289-e99ab972-6762-4a91-ab1a-30e4296d2432
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4506746&page=1

Football is a game that is played for people's entertainment. You shouldn't wreck your long term health for it. Especially if you're a player like Carman who sucks ass regardless of how much practice he gets  Tongue
Reply/Quote