Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ima say this and it is what it is
(08-15-2022, 01:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Super admirable. His elbow hurts, and he doesn’t want to have his elbow hurt more

Very admirable. I respect the young players for not wanting to have an ouchie elbow. I mean, imagine being 60 with a nagging elbow?

Admirable.

It has nothing to do with when he is 60.  It has to do with him being healthy for the regular season.

It is amazing how some people will abandon simple logic in order to shit on a player.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Jackson Carman had some good games last season and a couple bad ones but signs were pointing up going into this year. One bad preseason game isn't likely to make or break his career. Especially when every other member of the Offensive Line played the same way. It looked like none of them were ready to play.

I appreciate the optimism, but I don't remember his rookie season the same way. If he were any good, Adeniji would not have been out there in the playoffs. Especially after that Tennessee game.

There's always a chance that Carman can come back and be fine, but I'm not counting on it.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 10:42 AM)Housh Wrote: I don’t like Carmen not practicing at if his elbow isn’t drastically hurt….

You are being gifted the opportunity to be the pencilled in starter based off NOTHING but your draft status. And you tweak your elbow a little bit and you have the nerve to take a practice off and allow Volston to get YOUR 1st team reps?

Carmen is looking to me like he doesn’t really care about working for his spot.

I don’t know him, idk how hurt his elbow is but I’m sorry.

My guess is the decision to not practice is a coach's or trainer's decision.
I don't think Carman played well Friday either, but not as bad as some think.

Also, just because he can't practice does not mean he can work on fitness on the rehab field.

Yes, he needs the work, but we have seen small injuries develop into major injuries so why would the team risk him being injured worse by practicing or playing in preseason games right now. It is long time until September 11, I hope he is 100% then.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Unironically, yea. There are stories about guys who play through multiple knee injuries and struggling to walk in their 40s and 50s. Then there's obviously the whole concussion issue. 

Big difference between elbows and concussions.

I’m sure you would’ve praised Joe Burrow if he missed a couple weeks with that dislocated finger last season

Very not admirable move by Joe Burrow. He should’ve protected his fingers.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why should I have a personal hatred for someone just because he is not a good football player?

Again you are proving my point.  A star player misses tiem with an injury it is no big deal.  But A players who struggles gets called a POS when he misses time with an injury.

So what's your point?  The difference between a star player missing is he has proven himself. A struggling player who hasn't and possibly on the cusp of being another piss poor name remembered by many as a wasted pick has not proven himself and should do everything it takes to improve and solidify his game even if it takes rubbing a little Ben-Gay on the elbow and popping some Ibuprofen.  

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Big difference between elbows and concussions.

I’m sure you would’ve praised Joe Burrow if he missed a couple weeks with that dislocated finger last season

Wow, so you think Joe Burrow would have practiced and played in preseason games with that injury now???????????????
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:46 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I appreciate the optimism, but I don't remember his rookie season the same way. If he were any good, Adeniji would not have been out there in the playoffs. Especially after that Tennessee game.

Carman was injured.  He was held out of most of the practices during the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Big difference between elbows and concussions.

I wouldn't have called him a little ***** if he did miss a couple of weeks.

As fans, we obviously will cheer for players who will put the team's success above their own well being, but I don't fault a player for, you know, wanting to be healthy. It's just a job, after all.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So what's your point?  The difference between a star player missing is he has proven himself. A struggling player who hasn't and possibly on the cusp of being another piss poor name remembered by many as a wasted pick has not proven himself and should do everything it takes to improve and solidify his game even if it takes rubbing a little Ben-Gay on the elbow and popping some Ibuprofen.  

So no player is ever really injured enough to miss practice.

Any injury can be cured simply with BenGay and ibuprofen?

No injury can be made worse by practicing before it is healed?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wouldn't have called him a little ***** if he did miss a couple of weeks.

As fans, we obviously will cheer for players who will put the team's success above their own well being, but I don't fault a player for, you know, wanting to be healthy. It's just a job, after all.

Yea that Joe burrow is being stupid playing through injury

Doesn’t he know that he must protect his eyelashes? Why isn’t he thinking about his future!?!??
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: As fans, we obviously will cheer for players who will put the team's success above their own well being,

Risking making an injury worse by practicing or playing in preseason is the OPPOSIT of trying to help the team.  Instead it is selfish and arrogant.

AND THAT IS WHY NFL COACHES DON'T LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE IF THEY PRACTICE OR NOT.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carman was injured.  He was held out of most of the practices during the postseason.

Okay, that makes sense. Apparently, he played 4 snaps against Tennessee, so he was at least considered healthy enough to play that game. They must have been only using him in heavy sets, because Adeniji and Spain played 100% of the snaps.
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1485209100279496707/photo/1
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:53 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Yea that Joe burrow is being stupid playing through injury

Doesn’t he know that he must protect his eyelashes? Why isn’t he thinking about his future!?!??

Joe Burrow did not decide when he practiced and when he didn't.

If I understand you correctly you don't think any player should ever miss a practice with an injury.  Is that correct?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:53 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Yea that Joe burrow is being stupid playing through injury

You're reacting very aggressively towards the idea of a person worrying about their personal health haha.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Risking making an injury worse by practicing or playing in preseason is the OPPOSIT of trying to help the team.  Instead it is selfish and arrogant.

AND THAT IS WHY NFL COACHES DON'T LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE IF THEY PRACTICE OR NOT.

I think the players have at least some level of input. Otherwise, there wouldn't be situations where a player is given a cortisone shot and sent back on the field. There's no way that's in their contract, so a player could theoretically decline the shot and say they were too injured to re-enter a game.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You're reacting very aggressively towards the idea of a person worrying about their personal health haha.

Some NASCAR fans don't enjoy the race unless someone gets in a crash.

Some NFL fans don't enjoy the game unless they get to see someone injured.  Preferably a head injury.  Those makes the coolest highlights.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You're reacting very aggressively towards the idea of a person worrying about their personal health haha.

You compared Carman protecting his elbow to players protecting themselves from CONCUSSIONS

And I have no problem with Carman missing practice with an elbow injury. You just said it was admirable. I think that’s way too strong of a word for a player missing practice with an elbow boo boo.

He should miss practice, and it’s not cowardice at all. But admirable? Pump the breaks.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your way off base. I've had hopes for Carman and still do and was happy when we drafted him. In the context of this thread though, if he is not giving his all? F him!

I’m not gonna lie. Fred’s guess is about where i am as a fan. I don’t care much for the kid and i don’t care at all that he liked the Bengals growing up. I wouldn’t say the victory lap part is correct because that would mean i was hoping for a player to do bad which is stupid when you root for a team. But i do not care much for him. Gives off bad work ethic vibes like Andre Smith did but he isn’t as good as Andre was so it can’t really be forgiven
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He should miss practice, and it’s not cowardice at all. But admirable? Pump the breaks.

Sometimes players make things worse when they try to practice/play with an injury instead of doing what is best for the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You compared Carman protecting his elbow to players protecting themselves from CONCUSSIONS

And I have no problem with Carman missing practice with an elbow injury. You just said it was admirable. I think that’s way too strong of a word for a player missing practice with an elbow boo boo.

He should miss practice, and it’s not cowardice at all. But admirable? Pump the breaks.

I mentioned concussions, but the articles I linked and quoted were regarding musculoskeletal injuries.

Such as an elbow injury.

I stand by admirable as an appropriate word. There's a lot of pressure from fans, coaches and players to play through injury, to "be tough" and, while that may be good for the team in the short term, it may have severe consequences down the line. 

It would be easy to succumb to peer pressure and play through an injury, potentially making it worse. Advocating for yourself is something not everyone is brave enough to do.

Now, I'm not saying Carman is definitely doing this. Maybe he did just hit his funny bone and cried about it in the nurse's office. I don't know. My point is, I'm not going to fault a player for being injured like the OP is, especially when I don't know the extent or severity of the injury.
Reply/Quote