Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperative now we draft Oline 2/3 round
(04-30-2021, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, you are saying "can't stay on the field" and counting games before he ever got on the field. He was hurt when drafted, and it showed up in camp. He got it fixed. He's been injured once since. If he gets hurt this season, then maybe injury prone would be a label.

Okay Billy Price was hurt before he was drafted as well.  We see how that one has panned out 4 years later. 

Like I've said the kid could turn into a good LT, do I see elite no but that could change.  

First thing he needs to do is stay healthy and keep his ass on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:45 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Okay Billy Price was hurt before he was drafted as well.  We see how that one has panned out 4 years later. 

Like I've said the kid could turn into a good LT, do I see elite no but that could change.  

Billy Price wasn't good when he played, Jonah has been. Now you are trying two combine two separate arguments together. Price was injured coming in and has been pretty healthy since.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:45 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Okay Billy Price was hurt before he was drafted as well.  We see how that one has panned out 4 years later. 

WJIII missed his first year, and has missed parts of other seasons, but I don't see people saying he is injury prone. Same with multiple other 1st round picks. Of course he needs to stay healthy, every player does.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:36 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Okay Reiff is an upgrade over Hart i'll give you.  

However, to say that Jonah is improving and has the potential to become an elite LT is reaching a little bit. 

Jonah's first thing he should be doing is trying to stay on the field.  

Dude has played 10 out of 32 games in 2 season.  That doesnt say durable to me.  That says to me he can't stay healthy and stay on the field, and when you're not on the field you're not playing.  

We'll see if the kid can put it together this year and stay on the field or only play half a season again. 

To be fair Jonah Williams played 3 full seasons at Alabama without missing a game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: Billy Price wasn't good when he played, Jonah has been. Now you are trying two combine two separate arguments together. Price was injured coming in and has been pretty healthy since.

Billy Price was a consensus top center coming out of Ohio State.  He won the Remington Trophy coming out of Ohio State. 

Yet he wasn't a good player.  I believe the Remington Trophy goes to the nations best college football center. 

Is it possible Price was rushed back from his injury, lost confidence because he was constricted in what he was able to do?  

I have no clue but both players were all stars coming out of college and capable of playing in the NFL.  

Again, everyone has opinions and my opinion is when Jonah is on the field he's been good, but not great. 

They were also evaluated and drafted by the exact same offensive line coach I believe in Frank Pollack.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:50 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Billy Price was a consensus top center coming out of Ohio State.  He won the Remington Trophy coming out of Ohio State. 

Yet he wasn't a good player.  I believe the Remington Trophy goes to the nations best college football center. 

Is it possible Price was rushed back from his injury, lost confidence because he was constricted in what he was able to do?  

I have no clue but both players were all stars coming out of college and capable of playing in the NFL.  

Again, everyone has opinions and my opinion is when Jonah is on the field he's been good, but not great. 

They were also evaluated and drafted by the exact same offensive line coach I believe in Frank Pollack.  

But pretty darned good for a first year player, and he's only getting better with each game.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:50 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Billy Price was a consensus top center coming out of Ohio State.  He won the Remington Trophy coming out of Ohio State. 

...and when he got to the NFL he couldn't play well. Since he has been here he (Price) has continued to prove he couldn't play. Jonah has played better in his limited time than any point in Price's stint here. You tried to act as if Price being bad is somehow comparative to Jonah, but again in Jonah's limited action he has already proven to be more skilled than Price. The injury tie to performance falls apart because of Jonah's early returns compared to Price's overall return. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:50 AM)Synric Wrote: To be fair Jonah Williams played 3 full seasons at Alabama without missing a game.

That goes for a lot of players though.  I mean I look at a player back in the early 2000's Chris Perry.  

Kid was a good player.  He just couldnt stay on the field.  He also was never hurt when he played a Xichigan. 

So it goes to show just because you were never hurt in college doesnt mean you can't get injured in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote

Price was NOT the consensus top C that year. It was Frank Ragnow. Ragnow likely would have been the Remington winner in 2017 had he not injured his ankle in late October and had to miss the rest of the season. But he was dominant for multiple years up to that point. At the time, Ragnow had the two highest-graded seasons for C according to PFF since they started evaluating college players. His grades were 94.5 in 2016 and 93.7 in 2017 before he went down to injury. Price didn't even crack the Top 10. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-frank-ragnow-the-forgotten-superstar-of-the-2018-nfl-draft

I recall quite a few draft big boards that had Price as a 2nd rounder who was either the 2nd or 3rd C. He was considered a better fit for a man/gap/power scheme compared to Daniels, who was a better fit for a zone scheme.
It's no secret the Bengals (and Pollack specifically) wanted Ragnow, but they didn't bother thinking about what other teams might do to get him ahead of the Bengals, and he got swiped at 20. Given the Bengals did a terrible job of getting a C in FA, they absolutely needed a C, so they reached for Price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Price was NOT the consensus top C that year. It was Frank Ragnow.

The irony is that Ragnow is playing G for the Lions.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: ...and when he got to the NFL he couldn't play well. Since he has been here he (Price) has continued to prove he couldn't play. Jonah has played better in his limited time than any point in Price's stint here. You tried to act as if Price being bad is somehow comparative to Jonah, but again in Jonah's limited action he has already proven to be more skilled than Price. The injury tie to performance falls apart because of Jonah's early returns compared to Price's overall return. 

You got a point there Synric.  I still think if Pollack had stayed when Zac arrived that Billy would've been a good, serviceable center for the Bengals, but when you're being coached by a coach that couldnt put a line together for 2 season it doesnt help.

I just hope Price goes to another team next season and we look back and say damn we f**ked that one up.   
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:54 AM)TJ528 Wrote: That goes for a lot of players though.  I mean I look at a player back in the early 2000's Chris Perry.  

Kid was a good player.  He just couldnt stay on the field.  He also was never hurt when he played a Xichigan. 

So it goes to show just because you were never hurt in college doesnt mean you can't get injured in the NFL. 

Exactly you cannot predict injuries. 

Jonah has shown he can play full seasons while in college so it's just as possible he will have a mostly injury free career as it's as possible he is injured next yeae.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: The irony is that Ragnow is playing G for the Lions.

No he isn't. He played G as a rookie but played C since then.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would say the value of protecting your Franchise QB from injury is more important and if Bengal War Room is correct there is 1st round talent still out there in 2nd round for Oline

Don’t forget the run game is really bad right now. Better run blocking up front is a “must have,” not a “nice to have.”
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:46 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm thinking either:

2 - OL
3 - DL
4 - OL

Or

2 - DL
3 - OL
4 - OL

Either way I think they go defense once tonight.

The elephant in the room is the odds that BPA is a DL.  Barrimore is better than any OL outside of Jenkins right now.  Neither are likely to be there, but if so I'd take Barrimore and mortgage a pick next year for an extra OL pick in the 3rd or 4th and look for a FA. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:57 AM)Beaker Wrote: The irony is that Ragnow is playing G for the Lions.

Was Ragnow there for the taking when the Bengals picked Price???? No? Didn't think so, so why do people continue to bring him up?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:38 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After the below average job of addressing our Oline in FA and passing on the top lineman in the draft with with 1st pick, I believe it is imperative we draft Oline 2/3 round this draft.  Right now we are looking at having 4 starters from one of the worst lines in the NFL on opening day and a injury or two away from weak backups...

Teven Jenkins, from Oklahoma State if he's available. Has experience at multiple o-line positions; could be plug/play day one starter at RG. If I were a GM, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 
GO STRIPES!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:47 AM)Goalpost Wrote: O-line, sure.  But they need pass rushers also.

They have pass rushers. They can always use more, sure. But protecting #9 has to be the priority right now. If they won't do that, few other things will matter. 
GO STRIPES!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:27 AM)Beaker Wrote: I blame Dave Lapham for running his mouth too much about Ragnow for that one. He telegraphed our plans and Detroit traded up ahead of us to take Ragnow.

Blame the Bengals for trading down to pick up Buffalo's malcontent OL who was content to be a malingerer. They could have easily taken Ragnow at 12 if they hadn't traded down to 21.

(04-30-2021, 11:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: WJIII missed his first year, and has missed parts of other seasons, but I don't see people saying he is injury prone. Same with multiple other 1st round picks. Of course he needs to stay healthy, every player does.

WJ3 games missed in 5 years: 21
Jonah Williams games missed in 2 years: 22

Jonah missed more games in Year 2 than WJ3 did in year 2-5 combined.

Only as a rookie. He moved back to C after that and became a 2nd Team All-Pro there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:41 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals drafted 3 linebackers last year to refill that postion group. I wouldnt be surprised if they do that this year with the offensive line. 2nd, 3rd, 6th or 2nd, 4th, 6th.

Yeah the depth of the class is here.  I hope they do some soul searching and realize there isn't anything wrong with taking 3 OL and making MJ, Price, Johnson or even Adeniji having to fight for their jobs. 

Realistic depth chart

J. Williams/Cosmi
Cosmi/Spain
Hopkins/C.Green 
Su'a-Filo/Spain
Reiff/Adeniji 

That's your 8 dressed if healthy, the last one or two spots go to the late round pick or MJ, Price, Johnson, Sutherland or Prince.  
Reply/Quote