Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
In Ced I Trust
I'm more worried about C and RG than I am about Ced tbh. I think he steps up his game and kicks ass this year. We sorely need to shore up the interior Oline though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:56 PM)treee Wrote: I'm more worried about C and RG than I am about Ced tbh. I think he steps up his game and kicks ass this year. We sorely need to shore up the interior Oline though.

Can I get some of whatever you're on? Ced made Bodine look good last year.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:01 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Can I get some of whatever you're on? Ced made Bodine look good last year.  Mellow

Dude hasn't even had a full offseason to train until now. It's just like Andre Smith when he first got here. He was pretty bad and got called a bust for a couple years, also because he had injuries at first. You all just need to take a chill pill.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:03 PM)treee Wrote: Dude hasn't even had a full offseason to train until now. It's just like Andre Smith when he first got here. He was pretty bad and got called a bust for a couple years, also because he had injuries at first. You all just need to take a chill pill.

Waiting three years for early draft picks to "maybe" pan out is not a good plan for success imo. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Waiting three years for early draft picks to "maybe" pan out is not a good plan for success imo. 

Neither is starting rookies just for the sake of starting them. I understand what you mean though. A lot of our high draft picks have just sat on the bench for the past few years.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:15 PM)xxlt Wrote: Yeah, honestly I don't know what hurts (in damage to the team and hurting the morale of fans) more between losing Whit and Zeitler. Letting Whit go may have been a better business decision - I mean I loved everything about him but paying 35 year old guys top dollar is not the path to the Super Bowl so maybe it was - not smart, but acceptable. And maybe they tried to extend Zeitler? I dunno - maybe it was a personality thing, maybe he didn't like the city, who knows? I would have been happy to see both or either return for sure, but all we can do at this point is hope that the two tackles we drafted last year step up and hope that the rest of the line does too. They have a full off season to learn together and hopefully be a cohesive unit come fall. I am not holding my  breath, but I am also not getting out by striped voodoo dolls. You know how it is as a Bengals fan - our theme song is:

The. Perfect. Song. LMAO :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:32 PM)treee Wrote: Neither is starting rookies just for the sake of starting them. I understand what you mean though. A lot of our high draft picks have just sat on the bench for the past few years.

I think there is a middle ground that the Bengals just haven't been able to find. Work some of these guys in to get them some experience and see what we've got. I feel like we're wasting guys, especially on the defensive side.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:03 PM)treee Wrote: Dude hasn't even had a full offseason to train until now. It's just like Andre Smith when he first got here. He was pretty bad and got called a bust for a couple years, also because he had injuries at first. You all just need to take a chill pill.

I was one of those saying Andre looked like a bust initially, but that was way more due to injuries than performance.

Andre never looked that bad on the field.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:38 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I think there is a middle ground that the Bengals just haven't been able to find. Work some of these guys in to get them some experience and see what we've got. I feel like we're wasting guys, especially on the defensive side.

Yea it really becomes apparent too when we only get a year or two of good production out of players on their rookie contracts. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:56 PM)xxlt Wrote: Those are relevant and accurate observations. And, the vultures may already be circling over what perhaps will soon be Andy Dalton's carcass.

I am not guaranteeing Ogbuehi will be a success. I am saying lots of "can't miss" guys miss in the NFL and the Bengals are not the only team that makes mistakes. I am also saying I remember a TON of criticism when the Bengals drafted a tackle named Munoz or something like that - big foreign looking kid from somewhere in California... and I also recall a fair amount of criticism when they drafted a tackle named Whitworth (some "experts" said it was a reach and that he might be able to play guard but not tackle...).

So, I am hoping the combination of 1. coming off injury, 2. making the jump to the NFL, 3. playing out of position, and 4. having your confidence shaken means that we don't have an accurate picture of our new starting LT yet. And as for the game where he promptly gave up 2 sacks - all the other 4 factors should be considered as background to that and I would suggest passing judgement on a career based on one bad series in one game would be akin to doing so based on a bad pre-season outing. I mean hell, there was probably a game early on in Jordan's rookie year where he had more fouls and turnovers than assists or rebounds or points.

I don't know if Cedric is going to do better when he gets a chance, but it appears he is getting one, and as a (long heartbroken fan of this confounding franchise) I am hoping he gets much better.

(03-10-2017, 01:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Rep.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am REALLY hoping he puts it all together, for our sake and Dalton's.  My issue is the lack of a backup plan by this FO, moreso than any personal vendetta against Ced, or even Piano Man.  It's the FO's fault we are in this position, and their fault we have an oline coach that says he can't coach up players during the season.  This was a TOTALLY Bungaled FA, no other way to put it.  Lose your two best FAs, and overpay for an average one.  Only in Son of Paul's bizarro world my friend....and I still say Zeitler should have been extended long before this became a fiasco.  Just bush league management.

(03-10-2017, 01:15 PM)xxlt Wrote: Yeah, honestly I don't know what hurts (in damage to the team and hurting the morale of fans) more between losing Whit and Zeitler. Letting Whit go may have been a better business decision - I mean I loved everything about him but paying 35 year old guys top dollar is not the path to the Super Bowl so maybe it was - not smart, but acceptable. And maybe they tried to extend Zeitler? I dunno - maybe it was a personality thing, maybe he didn't like the city, who knows? I would have been happy to see both or either return for sure, but all we can do at this point is hope that the two tackles we drafted last year step up and hope that the rest of the line does too. They have a full off season to learn together and hopefully be a cohesive unit come fall. I am not holding my  breath, but I am also not getting out by striped voodoo dolls. You know how it is as a Bengals fan - our theme song is:

(03-10-2017, 01:27 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Unfortunately, at this point, this is where we all have to be. It's not the player we wanted, but it's the player we have. Ogbuehi was far from impressive last season, but I hope he can put together a better year this season. In the interview he gave yesterday, he seems confident that he learned a lot from last season and that a full offseason will help him get to where he needs to be. Obviously that's what he should be saying, I'm just hoping there is truth to it and that he's doing everything he can to improve.

The Bengals handed their team and fans a giant shit sandwich yesterday, but there's nothing that can be done about it now. Make no mistake, I'll continue to question, *****, and bash when I see fit, but this is still my team and I will continue support them through thick and thin.

All of these are great posts showing exactly what we are going through.

Tough, but in the end we have to hope Ogbuehi steps it up and becomes a good LT.

It is his only position on the O-line with his size, athleticism and footwork.

He just needs to really get in the weight room and get to work.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was one of those saying Andre looked like a bust initially, but that was way more due to injuries than performance.

Andre never looked that bad on the field.

Really? I recall Andre having some trouble when he first got on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:44 PM)treee Wrote: Really? I recall Andre having some trouble when he first got on the field.

He struggled at times. Especially against speed guys, but he showed flashes of his ability to use his strength and size to overpower guys. 

Ced O has shown nothing. He gets beat by speed guys and power guys at an almost equal rate. His best asset was supposed to be his quick feet and athleticism, but he has guys run around him on multiple occasions. Maybe a full year in the weight room will help him, but nothing he put on tape last year looks even remotely promising.  Whatever
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:44 PM)treee Wrote: Really? I recall Andre having some trouble when he first got on the field.

"Some trouble" would be a welcome upgrade to what Ogbuehi offered last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Except for when they slid Whit to LG and started Og at LT and he promptly gave up 2 very quick sacks and was benched again.  Poor ol Boling had to play all season with a separated shoulder because no one was good enough to spell him, or Whit in order to move Whit to LG.  Now we're rolling with that bunch as our starters on a unit that gave up 41 sacks. Mellow

Fun fact, the two newly departed guys combined to give up 1 sack. Mellow

Exactly.  It's also not like he went from playing on the defensive side to tackle and got beat.  He went from one side to the other, and as you say, did not look any better once they moved him to his "natural position".  And not even like it was one thing... I am far from an expert on offensive line play, but he looked out of position, slow, weak, and was just plain man handled on a lot of plays last year.  The guy looked absolutely lost most of the time.  The fact that he continued to play in front of Fisher either means Fisher is even worse, or the coaching staff has too much pride to say "we missed on our first round pick".  Chances are it is a combination of both...

There is no way around it, this team lost the two best parts of an extremely weak unit yesterday.  We all know they are unlikely to do anything in free agency which leaves what is supposed to be a weak draft for linemen.  My guess is they roll with what they have and maybe take one or two mid to late round project guys. 
Reply/Quote

He had some trouble, but nothing like we saw from Ced this year. Ced couldn't do anything right this year. Bull rush, swim, rip, and any other move a DL can do was able to throw him off his game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:07 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He had some trouble, but nothing like we saw from Ced this year. Ced couldn't do anything right this year. Bull rush, swim, rip, and any other move a DL can do was able to throw him off his game.

Figuratively speaking, Ogbuehi makes Dennis Roland look like a superstar.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Figuratively speaking, Ogbuehi makes Dennis Roland look like a superstar.

Hilarious   I'm at the point where I can laugh now, but I'm still pissed. I really never thought we would let Whit walk and start Ogbuehi after benching him last year. I was wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:15 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Hilarious   I'm at the point where I can laugh now, but I'm still pissed.  I really never thought we would let Whit walk and start Ogbuehi after benching him last year.  I was wrong.

I hear ya.  The field crews at my job consist of a Giants fan, two Cowboys fans, two Steeler fans, a Panthers fan, and me as always the lone Bengal fan in any crowd.  Can you guess which one of us said absolutely nothing during lunch yesterday, while the others were all discussing the deals getting done?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hear ya.  The field crews at my job consist of a Giants fan, two Cowboys fans, two Steeler fans, a Panthers fan, and me as always the lone Bengal fan in any crowd.  Can you guess which one of us said absolutely nothing during lunch yesterday, while the others were all discussing the deals getting done?

That sucks.  I even envy the Browns fans right now.  At least they have Hue and Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:26 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That sucks.  I even envy the Browns fans right now.  At least they have Hue and Zeitler.

Oh, the Browns fans are crazy optimistic right now. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote