Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indy game thoughts
(09-04-2015, 01:53 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No they are not. They really aren't. If they wanted pass rushing DE's they'd stop adding 6-7 ogres who can't bend. They want DEs who set the edge and can contain. Then wonder why they don't get the QB.

Neither Hunt or Clarke will help much in the pass rush. They aren't pass rushers. 

You aren't listening to me. IT'S ABOUT THE PROCESS NOT RESULTS.

Hunt's "results" are an illusion. He isn't really winning to create the pressure and sacks. He's able to his 28 year old man strength vs bad players and give the appearance of good or they just flat out miss a block. When the OT gets their hands on Hunt, he's done. 
How many times tonight did he have no clue what to do and let the QB just get away because his football IQ is around 5? 

This really makes you realize how important Geno has been to our pass rush. Usually 4-3 teams really make pass rushing THE priority with their DE's.

As for Hunt vs Clarke, it's like arguing if Lady Gaga is better than Justin Bieber. They both suck really. I give a slight edge to Clarke due to age. Hunt is close to retirement. I'd hate to see him turn into one of those players that hangs on a year too long, so we should probably cut him and let him ride off into the sunset.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
People who stood out for me last night.

The Good:

Hawk- Made a couple of really nice stops, looked stout against the run.
Sims- Like Hawk blew up a couple of run plays, he definitely is the run stuffer we missed since he left.
Dawson- Fast, good instincts, solid tackling. The hype after his draft selection seems to be true.
Peerman- I saw a guy out there who makes yards. He is solid, good on ST, why would we cut him? Consistency is hard to come by in the league, especially as a backup player.
Little- Has to make the team. He was always a talent with the Browns but just far too inconsistent. He hasn't shown any of this this year. Having him as the 4th/5th WR on the roster is somewhat of a steal.
Carter- Continued his good pre-season. Will be a very useful passrusher this year, has to make the team.
Hunt- He made the Harris interception by driving his man back into the QB forcing him to make an off balance hop pass. He is far too much of a physical talent to give up on this year. I think he is still shaking off the rust. Mid season he should be ready to wreak havoc.

The Bad

Bodine- Considering he is our starting centre he looked one of the worst lineman out there. Seems to have lost some upper body strength and his footwork is getting lazy. He really needs to sort it out, otherwise we may have a situation on our hands.
Tate- I don't hate him like others, but I think we have seen his ceiling. He is a very average player. He is a solid returner, but I don't think that should be enough. He had a good game, but you can tell that he would struggle in getting separation against a better calibre of player.
Backup o-line apart from Winston- They struggled all night. Obviously when so many inexperienced players all start at once the overall protection looks worse, culmination of errors. That being said, should two of our starters go down, I do not feel as confident in the depth as I have in previous seasons.

Reply/Quote
I wanted to see more Alford, but I'm sure the coaches have their reasons for going heavy on Tate last night. Little looked good tho and thats a plus.

Clarke vs Hunt is a tough one. I'd give the edge to youth at this point, but neither has impressed much.

Dawson is a beast. He's destined to see a lot of playing time, imo.
Reply/Quote
Watching the game on NFL Network at the moment.

There were some good individual efforts.

Sadly, I believe the team will keep lessor players with more experience rather than bring along some promising young guys. We'll find out soon.

Carter has to make the team over Hunt and Still.

Our defense gets 3 INTs, but by players who aren't that likely to make the final roster. Rather ironic really.

Despite the extra pressure and poor OL play, McCarron kept his head in the game and didn't throw up any prayers.

Is there a center out there we might be able to trade one of our DLmen for?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Bodine worries me - a lot ! He got used and abused on like 3.5 or 4 of every 5 plays he was out there for.

Time to end the Hunt experiment

If Carter doesn't make this team ???

Kroft is going to be a good TE I believe.

As much as they had Peerman out there I'm wondering if he makes it ? Wilder maybe ?

Little should be on the team.

And yes Dawson is going to be a good one.
Reply/Quote
Our backup OLine was atrocious.

Indy blitzed like it was the playoffs.

Carter really does look like a pass rusher.

PJ is a player. What is his natural position? He should be a starter.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Offensive line is shaky

McCarron will be just fine, just needs to learn some ball security

Hardison is good

Tate just managed to make himself uncuttable

Dawson should be starting Week 1

Peerman should be cut

I hope we can stash Kumerow on the PS
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 01:00 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bengals need to invest in stickier gloves.

And better back up O lineman. Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 08:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Watching the game on NFL Network at the moment.

There were some good individual efforts.

Sadly, I believe the team will keep lessor players with more experience rather than bring along some promising young guys. We'll find out soon.

Carter has to make the team over Hunt and Still.

Our defense gets 3 INTs, but by players who aren't that likely to make the final roster. Rather ironic really.

Despite the extra pressure and poor OL play, McCarron kept his head in the game and didn't throw up any prayers.

Is there a center out there we might be able to trade one of our DLmen for?

You're not kidding.  Problem is it's not a plug and play position on the football team.  Other than the QB it's the most critical function on the offense. 
Reply/Quote
I find it strange as I watched the entire game and I thought Hunt was creating havoc all night. He was dominant.

Little looked good.
Still had his moments and showed a motor I have never seen before. Was it enough?

Thompson has shown little.
Sims did not play well last night
Hardison and Williams both are interesting rookies.

Hawk looked good last night.
Dawson looked great at times, but looked horrible in pass defense.
McCarron had some nice throws and again looks like an NFL backup QB. He can't fumble 2 times a game.
Alford has not impressed me yet.

I still think Watson (who fumbled) is better than Wilder Jr. but see neither make the 53
Tate and Peerman earned their spots this pre-season again.

Carter has been impressive and we need to find him a LB spot (Flowers was hurt so maybe IR for Flowers if injury is serious or cut and resign him)

Overall, one boring game as neither offense could do anything
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Munoz- Loves him some AJ McCarron and he cracked me up with a call about Alford on his Kick Return. When Alford took the ball inside the End Zone and began to bring it out, he said "Show me something Mario", when he got tackled at about the 13 yard line he finished up with "showed me he should have taken a knee." It was hilarious and very un-Munoz like.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
TE worries me behind Eifert and Hewitt.... this is a position i could see us grabbing a player at here during cuts.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 01:29 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How many times has Clarke gotten pressure this preseason? I dont get why so many are screaming to cut Hunt when Clarke hasnt done shit. And all those wanting to cut Hunt want to hand Clarke a job for doing what exactly?

Both are needed.  Clarke will back up RDE, and Hunt the LDE.  It is funny to hear how Munoz evaluated Hunt's play compared to so many folks on here.  He will be quality depth at LDE and will, hopefully, help keep Dunlap fresh. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Both are needed.  Clarke will back up RDE, and Hunt the LDE.  It is funny to hear how Munoz evaluated Hunt's play compared to so many folks on here.  He will be quality depth at LDE and will, hopefully, help keep Dunlap fresh. 

Hunt is a really bad football player that happens to be a really good athlete.

Your obsession doesn't change that.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Munoz- Loves him some AJ McCarron and he cracked me up with a call about Alford on his Kick Return. When Alford took the ball inside the End Zone and began to bring it out, he said "Show me something Mario", when he got tackled at about the 13 yard line he finished up with "showed me he should have taken a knee." It was hilarious and very un-Munoz like.

I laughed when I heard that as well.  He really seemed impressed and always took time to point out how Hunt was always in the backfield.  Maybe he hasn't got the memo that he sucks. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: TE worries me behind Eifert and Hewitt....  this is a position i could see us grabbing a player at here during cuts.

When Kroft went down, I said "he just separated his shoulder".  Thank God that wasn't the case.  Protect yourself better, young man!  We need you for the entire season!

Uzomah seems as lost as Fisher.  I still can't believe they took a flyer on this "athlete" when Nick Boyle was available and is a dominant blocker than can still catch the ball and move the chains (reliable, but not flashy).  Baltimore took him three picks later.  I loved this draft overall, but Fisher and Uzomah disappoint me.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 08:56 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Offensive line is shaky  YOU MEAN IT'S OFFENSIVE?

McCarron will be just fine, just needs to learn some ball security.  HE REALLY DOES NEED A JOCK STRAP.

Hardison is good.  VERY IN DEPTH.  I LIKE IT.

Tate just managed to make himself uncuttable.  WHERE IS THIS MAGICAL ELIXIR HE HAS??

Dawson should be starting Week 1.  IT'S GREAT THAT HE'LL BE ALIVE TO SEE THE BENGALS PLAY.

Peerman should be cut.   THAT'S JUST MEAN.  PLUS IT'S MESSY.

I hope we can stash Kumerow on the PS.  I THINK THIS IS A CODE FOR MARIJUANA.

My attempt at levity.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I'm just getting to watch the game now and so far I'm seeing what a number of guys are saying:

Bodine does not look good at all, or the O-line really.
Peerman looks his usual pre-season good and doing his vest to make the team
and
Little is looking good.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:22 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Peerman- I saw a guy out there who makes yards.

Were we watching the same game? I'll give you he didn't do bad on ST but his running was horrible. The dude didn't even average 2 yards a carry. If wilder doesn't make this team it's a darn shame.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When Kroft went down, I said "he just separated his shoulder".  Thank God that wasn't the case.  Protect yourself better, young man!  We need you for the entire season!

Uzomah seems as lost as Fisher.  I still can't believe they took a flyer on this "athlete" when Nick Boyle was available and is a dominant blocker than can still catch the ball and move the chains (reliable, but not flashy).  Baltimore took him three picks later.  I loved this draft overall, but Fisher and Uzomah disappoint me.

the good news is fisher has some time....

But Uzomah didnt do anything to warrent a spot past the PS in my opinion. Dropping passes was about his highlight of the preseason.

so this is a position i hope we are watching the waiver wire for. Kroft has had his moments but i see some growing pains there if he plays a lot of snaps this season.
Reply/Quote