Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indy game thoughts
I am seeing numerous comments about Bodine not looking good as well as the second string line.  This is all on Alexander.  This unit better be coached up in a hurry or his butt needs to go!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 02:57 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I am seeing numerous comments about Bodine not looking good as well as the second string line.  This is all on Alexander.  This unit better be coached up in a hurry or his butt needs to go!

Wouldn't hold my breath on PA going anywhere.  He's been here since his linemen were babies.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Sideline reporters are nothing but a nuisance. It's bad enough that if i want to get Bengal info, I have to have it filtered through Hobson's propaganda machine. Did I really have to hear him during preseason games? As bad as he is as a writer, he's twice as bad as a talker.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 01:00 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bengals need to invest in stickier gloves.

Or get some of this...
[Image: B7M6XEaCYAAyAf5.png]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 01:00 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bengals need to invest in stickier gloves.

Or take a little air out of the ball.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 03:48 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Or take a little air out of the ball.  Ninja

lol how could that possibly help anything
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 02:38 PM)Synric Wrote: 1. He was there I've seen Dunlap miss quite a few of those too. Offensive players make plays too.
3. He was not washed out he was inside his gap rushing right and tried to make a play back to the left hell of a lot harder than you think.
4. You are right TE got him I see it was BT that got initially hit by the tackle and came back for hunt who also was pushing on that inside gap.
5. Hunt initially won and the TE made a nice recovery offensive players make great plays too.
6. It was a backside play he wasn't in front of it...that was an excellent play by Hunt saying it was bad is very telling.
7. Yes TE still won still there missed the tackle...like I said positive and negative.

Carter still has to be able to play in the base defense like Gillberry.  how can you chance him on the field if he can't play whatever position he subbed for on the field. Don't get me wrong I want him and maybe they can teach him to play some linebacker but until then he's still a liability.

1. And those are bad plays by Dunlap but very few and far between. Usually on plays it takes a player of his caliber to even get to...And the QB was ducking. He was giving up...Hunt WHIFFED. WHIFFED.

3. ....I don't think you know what gap discipline or washing out is.

4. Yes. He got blocked by a TE...again

5. Hunt had his chance before the TE touched him. He just has no clue what to do...besides, isn't the benefit of a big dude like Hunt that a TE shouldn't be able to one-arm him out of the play?

6. I never said it was bad. I said he was unblocked. Like almost all of his good plays. You are ridiculous. 

7. Yes he beat a TE. Is this what you have gotten down to? Celebrating him beating a TE? 

Why does Carter have to play in the base defense? Answer: he doesn't. He is a pass rusher. He isn't a liability. You send him out on 3rd and long. If they see him and choose to run on 3rd and long...that's the offenses fault because he's not a push over. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 02:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Your post won't show up in quotes 3wt, but it is a factor this year, how is it not? Your logic on that one escapes me. 
People were giving him credit for adding good weight not sloppy weight. And he has looked stouter. He has to get better obviously, but it's a small improvement but an improvement none the less. 

Just saying that Hunt's age is not so old this year that it's a factor.  The difference between the ages of Clark and Hunt will factor in as Hunt continues to age, no doubt.  But this year I don't think it does.  He's not out of his 20s yet and doesn't have a lot of mileage.

I'm definitely not on a crusade to save Hunt.  He has not shown much against NFL starters, has been routinely injured and has got a low probability of getting his learning curve completed before he ages out.  He does flash, but it's really hard to know if he'll have enough chance - or health to grow from a really good athlete to an impact football player.   I don't think he should have been drafted that high because of his age and lack of experience, but obviously Zimmer did.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 04:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why does Carter have to play in the base defense? Answer: he doesn't. He is a pass rusher. He isn't a liability. You send him out on 3rd and long. If they see him and choose to run on 3rd and long...that's the offenses fault because he's not a push over. 

And what happens when they covert that 3rd and long goes no huddle and run right at him on 1st and 10. Happened to Gillberry quite a few times last season. Most memorable is the Indy TD of the 2014 playoff game.

Also giving Hunt beating a TE was his job and he accomplished it on that play and got beat by the TE on another it does happen Gresham beat JJ Watt a few times last season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:00 PM)Synric Wrote: And what happens when they covert that 3rd and long goes no huddle and run right at him on 1st and 10. Happened to Gillberry quite a few times last season. Most memorable is the Indy TD of the 2014 playoff game.

Also giving Hunt beating a TE was his job and he accomplished it on that play and got beat by the TE on another it does happen Gresham beat JJ Watt a few times last season.

Using this example in a game we got blown out in, is not a good indicator. 

Gresham didn't beat JJ Watt. Gresham beat Clowney. 

Shows what they think of Hunt that they routinely left a TE on an island to block him....good grief 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Using this example in a game we got blown out in, is not a good indicator. 

Gresham didn't beat JJ Watt. Gresham beat Clowney. 

Shows what they think of Hunt that they routinely left a TE on an island to block him....good grief 

Yes gresham went against JJwatt a few times and won because their starting RT (Newhouse) was awful.

Just because they lost doesn't make my point any less valid.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:00 PM)Synric Wrote: And what happens when they covert that 3rd and long goes no huddle and run right at him on 1st and 10. Happened to Gillberry quite a few times last season. Most memorable is the Indy TD of the 2014 playoff game.

This isn't an issue. Carter will be used in obvious passing situations and even if the other team runs, it's not like he's a weakling who's going to just be pushed out of the way.

What he can do for us is shorten the time a QB has to wait for receivers to come open down field, so it's all good to have a guy like this.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Yes gresham went against JJwatt a few times and won because their starting RT (Newhouse) was awful.

Just because they lost doesn't make my point any less valid.

If he won, it was on a double. 
One on one, Watt moved Gresham. 

Yes it does...it was a game we were completely overmatched. It wouldn't have mattered who was at DE

Teams ran at Gilberry all year...because Dunlap is an elite run stopping DE. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If he won, it was on a double. 
One on one, Watt moved Gresham. 

Yes it does...it was a game we were completely overmatched. It wouldn't have mattered who was at DE

Teams ran at Gilberry all year...because Dunlap is an elite run stopping DE. 

Actually Gresham did stand up Watt it was mentioned quite a few times when it happened and in plenty of Gresham threads since then.

Also was speaking when Gillberry was kicked inside to rush the passer next to Geno. Dunlap-Gillberry- Geno- Geathers. Teams ran on this formation a ton last year because they would convert on 3rd down go no huddle and run down the middle.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 07:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Actually Gresham did stand up Watt it was mentioned quite a few times when it happened and in plenty of Gresham threads since then.

Also was speaking when Gillberry was kicked inside to rush the passer next to Geno. Dunlap-Gillberry- Geno- Geathers. Teams ran on this formation a ton last year because they would convert on 3rd down go no huddle and run down the middle.

Had less to do with Gilberry more to do with Geathers.
Reply/Quote
McCarron can play - he's not shy about getting hit.

Our Oline backups are flat out terrible.

Mario Alford can fly!

I'd hate to have to choose between Wilder and Peerman.

Deshaun Williams is a player.

There are some guys (Kumerow, Keo) who have some serious potential imo.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it was the 3rd preseason game when i heard Lapham mention that Hunt had a disk removed from his back. If this is true the man is still getting healthy and once at full power he can help us. People want to talk about age. But Hunt had been playing football for 10+ years less than just about everybody in the NFL. So yes his football IQ isnt that of a seasoned vet. But to think he is done developing as a football player because he is 28 is foolish.

Not to mention when i was getting autographs down at training camp this year and asked Margus if he was ready this year the man looked at me with the meanest look in his eye and told me "im ready every year" he seemed angry at me for asking and i do believe i shat my pants a little standing next to that monster.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 01:34 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Clarke = 4 years younger, more durable and has shown some better skills. Clarke is showing run stopping ability. He did very well the last 2 games setting the edge for the most part. 

Hunt still just relies on the OT screwing up for the vast majority of his plays. He can't beat anyone who is technically sound. He can just hope to out-muscle or they flat out miss the assignment. 

It's about the process not the results. 

Hunt has done this every year. Bully some bubble players and look like a stud. Gets his shot vs a good player then does nothing all season. He was the same exact way at SMU.

To me Hunt looks slow afoot and never seems to make the initial contact with the ball carrier.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 08:41 AM)McC Wrote: Our backup OLine was atrocious.  

Indy blitzed like it was the playoffs.  

Carter really does look like a pass rusher.

PJ is a player.  What is his natural position?  He should be a starter.

For some reason PJ Dawson reminds me of Troy Polamalu 2.0 sans hairdo. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote