Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Request for Todd Grantham
(02-13-2019, 03:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think I just read 1.3, but don't hold me to it.

EDIT:  1.39

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/florida-gators/2018/05/08/florida-gators-coordinator-todd-grantham-to-earn-1-39-million/

Okay.  This is why I was uncertain.  I stand corrected.  No, actually, since I'm not standing at the moment, I sit corrected.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 03:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So he went from "solid" to "bad" and "bad".

In '05 and '06, yeah. In 2007, their offense ranked 8th in both yards and points, and was pretty much entirely responsible for their 10-6 record, as Grantham's defense ranked 30th in yards and 21st in points allowed.

Not excited by it at all, not going to lie.

Fair enough. We'll just have to see. I don't find it exciting, but we'll see.

Indianapolis Colts (1999–2001)  -  D line coach

His D-Line was one of the catalysts of the biggest turnaround in league history (3–13 to 13–3), ultimately helping the Colts defense compile 56 sacks in two years, which was a club record since moving to Indianapolis

Houston Texans (2002–2004)  -  D line coach

constant improvement with strong play from the defensive line each of the 3 years.  In his first year, he took basically the same players who were terrible against the run and turned them into the 13th strongest run defense.

Cleveland Browns (2005–2007) - Defensive coordinator

This is a real outlier, but if you think about the Browns in 2005-2007 you have to understand the type of organization we're talking about.  This is a great quote from a browns news outlet.

"Cleveland seems to bring out the suck in otherwise phenomenal coaches. Perhaps internal tensions within the Browns organization may have contributed to some of that. Perhaps the Browns really do suck that bad, and Grantham just didn't have the mojo to turn the whole thing around all by himself. The NFL, perhaps more than college football, is about talent. Every coach in the NFL has the schematic chops."

During his two years, he only drafted 3 times in the first or second round in the draft and two had very productive careers.  Fact is his team got older and were constantly injured.  

Dallas Cowboys (2008–2009) - Defensive Line coach

During Grantham's 2 seasons with Dallas, the Cowboys improved from 13th (2007) to 2nd (2009) in the league in points allowed.  Despite only getting 1 draft pick in 2009 ( Brandon Williams ) he basically accomplished this with the same roster up front.

Georgia Bulldogs (2010–2013) - Defensive Coordinator /  Assistant Head Coach

In 2009 Bulldogs were ranked 113th Nationally in defense 

2010 they ranked 19th in his first year
2011 they ranked 5th
Georgia defense finished No. 45 in the nation in the 2013–2014 season after new players came in

Louisville Cardinals (2014–2016) - Defensive Coordinator
2014 - No. 1st ranked defense in college
2015 - No. 6st ranked defense in college
2016 - No.18th ranked defense in college

2017 -  After he left it dropped to 62nd ranked defense in college

Mississipi State (2017) - Defensive Coordinator

In what I think was the strangest moves ever in college football coaching Louisville decided to swap coordinators with Mississippi state.

While the Cardinals dropped to 62nd ranked defense he lead Missippi State to the 10th ranked defense in college

just to prove this isn't a just him taking over great defenses.  The year before they were ranked 56th

----------------------------------------

So when someone tells me this guy is a failure because he was the defensive coordinator on the browns 14 years ago it's almost laughable.  He has arguably one of the best resumes I've ever seen and we are lucky to get a guy of this caliber this late.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 04:24 PM)Okeana Wrote:

His D-Line was one of the catalysts of the biggest turnaround in league history (3–13 to 13–3), ultimately helping the Colts defense compile 56 sacks in two years, which was a club record since moving to Indianapolis

constant improvement with strong play from the defensive line each of the 3 years.  In his first year, he took basically the same players who were terrible against the run and turned them into the 13th strongest run defense.

This is a real outlier, but if you think about the Browns in 2005-2007 you have to understand the type of organization we're talking about.  This is a great quote from a browns news outlet.

"Cleveland seems to bring out the suck in otherwise phenomenal coaches. Perhaps internal tensions within the Browns organization may have contributed to some of that. Perhaps the Browns really do suck that bad, and Grantham just didn't have the mojo to turn the whole thing around all by himself. The NFL, perhaps more than college football, is about talent. Every coach in the NFL has the schematic chops."

During his two years, he only drafted 3 times in the first or second round in the draft and two had very productive careers.  Fact is his team got older and were constantly injured.  

During Grantham's 2 seasons with Dallas, the Cowboys improved from 13th (2007) to 2nd (2009) in the league in points allowed.  Despite only getting 1 draft pick in 2009 ( Brandon Williams ) he basically accomplished this with the same roster up front.

2011 they ranked 5th
Georgia defense finished No. 45 in the nation in the 2013–2014 season after new players came in

In what I think was the strangest moves ever in college football coaching Louisville decided to swap coordinators with Mississippi state.

While the Cardinals dropped to 62nd ranked defense he lead Missippi State to the 10th ranked defense in college

just to prove this isn't a just him taking over great defenses.  The year before they were ranked 56th

So when someone tells me this guy is a failure because he was the defensive coordinator on the browns 14 years ago it's almost laughable.  He has arguably one of the best resumes I've ever seen and we are lucky to get a guy of this caliber this late.

Grantham has been a successful coach. Even with some bad times with the Browns, he also had a very good season with them.

He has had more highs than lows, and that's what I want in a coach.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 03:40 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Brent Venables at Clemson is the highest paid assistant in college football, and I think Dave Aranda is second. Both of those guys clear at or over 2 mil, if memory serves. Todd is up there, but I doubt he's even top 10. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/12/05/assistant-football-coaches-highest-paid-lsu-clemson/1989693002/

Dave Aranda is number 1

Todd is actually ranked 9th, but lots do not slice **** hairs here.  He isn't far off from the very top considering the size of school and funding.  not to mention he's one of the guys on this actually considered to not be overpaid.  72nd to 21st in defensive ranking is a huge uptick, but that's what this guy does.  He takes shitty defenses and makes them better.

Reply/Quote
He's still in talks today. Per reports.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 04:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Grantham has been a successful coach. Even with some bad times with the Browns, he also had a very good season with them.

He has had more highs than lows, and that's what I want in a coach.

yeah, he also has at least 10 more years of defensive coordinator experience at the college level that he didn't have before the Browns.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 03:33 PM)Synric Wrote: An interview with Grantham about his defense.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Bolt/Florida-Gators-Football-Todd-Grantham-breaks-down-his-3-4-system-implementation-at-UF-115080446/

Probably the most important part.

Looks like Phillips’ version of 3-4. I wonder if Wade recommended Grantham or if Taylor went looking for somebody that ran the same system.
Reply/Quote
As long as the days of keeping failed assistant coaches for 10 years are over, I am fine with these hires.

We have to accept this is year 1 of 16, not all of these coaches are going to work. How ZT adjusts and how long it takes for him to move on is the key to all this.

Only time will tell.

But we have to start somewhere. And we need a coach who has at least called plays before. Right now we have none. So I think this has to be the choice. I can't imagine a staff where no one has ever called plays on either side of the ball.

Reply/Quote

Colts never had more than 42 sacks any season from '99 to '01, and the big turnaround from '98 to '99 was basically Manning improving massively from his poor rookie season (71.2 rating) to 4th in the league (90.7) his second year.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 04:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks like Phillips’ version of 3-4. I wonder if Wade recommended Grantham or if Taylor went looking for somebody that ran the same system.

You should have gotten a good look at them this year! LMAO

They crushed us. Sad

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Everyone gives Wade props, and he did hold the Pats to 13, but his unit routinely gave up 30+ a game, and got ran all over. Interesting that folks don't hold that against him. As they demand young HC's get a vet DC like Wade. Was his D really that good? Or did LA's offense scoring more and thus winning the game give him a pass.

Reply/Quote
Grantham is aggressive from what I can tell, which is a trait that has been sorely missing franchise wide for a long time now. Sign me up for that.
Reply/Quote

2011 they ranked 5th

Not only that, but Nick Saban named him ASST HC during his time at Mich. St.

Guy is a solid coach, to say the least.  Louisville was abysmal the very next season he left, as you noted.  I've seen a lot of his work at the collegiate level.  He's been good.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 04:54 PM)HuDey Wrote: Grantham is aggressive from what I can tell, which is a trait that has been sorely missing franchise wide for a long time now. Sign me up for that.

He's not a bit afraid to blitz! Smirk

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Colts never had more than 42 sacks any season from '99 to '01, and the big turnaround from '98 to '99 was basically Manning improving massively from his poor rookie season (71.2 rating) to 4th in the league (90.7) his second year.

It was still a club record, and Jim Mora, a defensive mind in his own right, saw fit to hire him to coach the dline, plucking him from Nick Saban's staff in East Lansing.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 05:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: It was still a club record, 

Nope.  Not even in the top ten in Colts history.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nope.  Not even in the top ten in Colts history.

"56 sacks in two years, which was a club record since moving to Indianapolis"

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:26 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Current DC at THE University of Florida.

He's been sniffing around looking for head jobs but didn't find much interest.

He's a great technical coach and I would hate for the GATORS to lose him. Not often the interests of my college team and pro team intersect.

Grantham blitzes a bunch, in a way we've come to playfully define as "emotional blitzing." When his D gives up a big play, he'll often just blitz harder out of anger.

I think he'd be a good pro DC and affordable, but Pleasant would probably be the better fit.

Ooooooh.... I would LOVE this.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 05:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: "56 sacks in two years, which was a club record since moving to Indianapolis"

It is silly to go on about something so minor, but this just is not true at all.

Maybe those numbers are just for d-linemen?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 04:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: He's still in talks today. Per reports.

It looks like he's been offered the job and the Bengals are waiting for an answer. He has kids in school and might not want to move. Let's hope he convinces his family to move.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote