Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
(03-31-2023, 06:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We are gonna draft one to control the costs & stop the revolving door. 

TE1/2: Day 1-2 pick + Smith 
TE 3/4 (if we carry 4): Competition: Day 3 pick, Asiasi, Wilcox, Sample, Carter. 

They’ve worked well to set themselves up to take the BPA in several positions of need.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 09:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’ve worked well to set themselves up to take the BPA in several positions of need.

One thing I don't like his how many teams are positioned to take a Tight End early in the draft.

Raiders
Saints
Titans
Packers
Commanders
Lions
Dolphins
Cowboys
Chargers

Some other 2 TE teams like the Jaguars, Falcons, and Bears that need a second TE.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 09:39 AM)Synric Wrote: One thing I don't like his how many teams are positioned to take a Tight End early in the draft.

Raiders
Saints
Titans
Packers
Commanders
Lions
Dolphins
Cowboys
Chargers

Some other 2 TE teams like the Jaguars, Falcons, and Bears that need a second TE.

That’s very true. But there will be a lot of temptation with such a good TE draft to wait until the second round by most.We are essentially second round and could work in our favor. But I think getting Irv Smith backed us off from being forced to get a TE first round. But I don’t rule it out if they really like one. I think it’s the BPA of amongst OT, TE, DT, RB (Bijan) though he won’t be there, CB or even S
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s very true. But there will be a lot of temptation with such a good TE draft to wait until the second round by most.We are essentially second round and could work in our favor. But I think getting Irv Smith backed us off from being forced to get a TE first round. But I don’t rule it out if they really like one. I think it’s the BPA of amongst OT, TE, DT, RB (Bijan) though he won’t be there, CB or even S

This draft has so many good Tight Ends they were doing their mock drafts on Moving the Chains yesterday and they were saying many teams, knowing this, will not start taking tight ends until the late 2nd and even 3rd round, because although they may not get the exact one they want, there are a lot to pick from. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This draft has so many good Tight Ends they were doing their mock drafts on Moving the Chains yesterday and they were saying many teams, knowing this, will not start taking tight ends until the late 2nd and even 3rd round, because although they may not get the exact one they want, there are a lot to pick from. 

I’m hoping that with recent FA signings we are in better position to not be pigeonholed. So if Bijan ( not likely) Mayer, Wright, Kincaid, Washington, or CB’s Gonzalez,Banks,Turner, or Witherspoon are available

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This draft has so many good Tight Ends they were doing their mock drafts on Moving the Chains yesterday and they were saying many teams, knowing this, will not start taking tight ends until the late 2nd and even 3rd round, because although they may not get the exact one they want, there are a lot to pick from. 

All it takes is one team to start the dominoes falling.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote

All it takes is one team to start the dominoes falling.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
The tape is interesting. Swervin' Irv Smith may be the biggest under the radar steal in all of free agency and I'm glad he's a Bengal. His speed in the open field is extremely impressive and I watched lots of tape where he made some acrobatic catches while keeping his hands in the proper form to catch. His blocking is more than adequate too and for the Bengals to have a balanced offense the tight end needs to block at least as well as he runs routes.
Reply/Quote

There is at least 10 starting TEs in this draft. My prediction is that at least half will have a significant impact next season, on the field and in FF. With a draft class of TEs this good ole TB may even come out of retirement, AGAIN!  Ninja

On a side note, I traded for him in Madden and he's been a beast compared to the other TEs on the roster. Dude can be a serious weapon in the seam and on crossing routes.
Reply/Quote
i remember his dad when hewas with the saints. dont know a hole lot about the son. hope he can block like his dad
Reply/Quote
There was an interesting fact in the Bengals.com article https://www.bengals.com/news/irv-smith-jr-takes-advice-from-irv-smith-sr talking about how our new TE and T had fathers that played next to each other at TE and T in the NFL. That's pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 09:36 PM)Leon Wrote: i remember his dad when hewas with the saints. dont know a hole lot about the son. hope he can block like his dad

Sounds like a cool Dad too, sounded like he talked his son into coming here to get a SuperBowl ring.

Said he is the missing piece on this Offense, sure as hell hope so.

(04-02-2023, 09:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: There was an interesting fact in the Bengals.com article https://www.bengals.com/news/irv-smith-jr-takes-advice-from-irv-smith-sr talking about how our new TE and T had fathers that played next to each other at TE and T in the NFL. That's pretty cool.

Yep, Zeus Sr. and Irv Smith Sr were on the same team at one point in their careers and now both of their sons are on the Bengals.

That is pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 11:07 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m hoping that with recent FA signings we are in better position to not be pigeonholed. So if Bijan ( not likely) Mayer, Wright, Kincaid, Washington, or CB’s Gonzalez,Banks,Turner, or Witherspoon are available

Lukje Musgrave would be a major get as well. Comes from a football family, is a little raw but has all the tools. He was one of Charlie Wiess' favorite TE's in this draft. (not that I like Weiss, but he is knowledgable.)
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 09:36 PM)Leon Wrote: i remember his dad when hewas with the saints. dont know a hole lot about the son. hope he can block like his dad

Typical Alabama overhyped TE. That said, I think it's a good signing and we'll see how he does here.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 04:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Lukje Musgrave would be a major get as well. Comes from a football family, is a little raw but has all the tools. He was one of Charlie Wiess' favorite TE's in this draft. (not that I like Weiss, but he is knowledgable.)

I like him but not if we trade up.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 03:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The tape is interesting. Swervin' Irv Smith may be the biggest under the radar steal in all of free agency and I'm glad he's a Bengal.  His speed in the open field is extremely impressive and I watched lots of tape where he made some acrobatic catches while keeping his hands in the proper form to catch. His blocking is more than adequate too and for the Bengals to have a balanced offense the tight end needs to block at least as well as he runs routes.

to me he is a boom or bust and with how weak our TE position is i rather not have this type of player to rely on especially since the draft is still always a crap shoot on picking the right player and also how the draft picks go to enable you to get the right player.
Reply/Quote
The key as always is how does Smith fit into our offensive scheme. I am assuming they watch enough tape to make that judgement.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 03:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The tape is interesting. Swervin' Irv Smith may be the biggest under the radar steal in all of free agency and I'm glad he's a Bengal.  His speed in the open field is extremely impressive and I watched lots of tape where he made some acrobatic catches while keeping his hands in the proper form to catch. His blocking is more than adequate too and for the Bengals to have a balanced offense the tight end needs to block at least as well as he runs routes.

I like the signing a lot.

That said, I heard his hands aren't that good and he's not good on contested catches.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 05:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: to me he is a boom or bust and with how weak our TE position is i rather not have this type of player to rely on especially since the draft is still always a crap shoot on picking the right player and also how the draft picks go to enable you to get the right player.

As long as Burrow is the QB the chances are far far greater he's a boom and walks into a multi year deal with somebody just the way CJ and Hurst did.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 04:08 PM)higgy100 Wrote: As long as Burrow is the QB the chances are far far greater he's a boom and walks into a multi year deal with somebody just the way CJ and Hurst did.

Agree, if I have a question about Irv it is, can he stay healthy? I like him as a player big time.

Excited to see what he does in this Offense on dumpoffs in the screen game. He has a ton of speed for a TE.
Reply/Quote