Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
I've said that women can't be men and men can't be woman, and I was faced with a lot of backlash on here.

Bud Light has lost something like six billion in sales and market value.

My question is, is this country right that a man can't be a woman and a woman can't be a man or are beer drinkers just a bunch of bigots?
You've probably heard that women all look good after 10 beers. lol When a company gets involved in politics, there are consequences.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Bud Light's core demographic isn't exactly known for being the most knowledgeable in their understanding of current science and sex, gender, and sexuality. Nor are they known for being the most tolerant and accepting. This was a stupid move by their marketing folks.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I guess it would be easy for me to answer because I don't have this problem but I actually don't care : Let people be who they are. I'm not obsessed about that topic.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(05-08-2023, 01:32 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You've probably heard that women all look good after 10 beers. lol When a company gets involved in politics, there are consequences.

I'm not just saying this to you specifically, but it is interesting how a company like Anheiser Busch can donate millions to a political party and politicians for years, and still only be seen as "becoming political" by having one marking initiative involving a trans influencer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I gotta be honest, I didn’t pay very much attention to this, and I have no idea who this person is, but man this seemed like a huge overreaction.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-08-2023, 08:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I gotta be honest, I didn’t pay very much attention to this, and I have no idea who this person is, but man this seemed like a huge overreaction.

Same here.  I only have any idea about this situation because of the backlash from conservatives being big news.
It just proves the overhyped hysteria of the right. This wasn’t an advertising campaign. They sent a commerative can to a media influencer (whether you liked or agree with them) on a milestone in their life. Cue the hysteria.
Please explain, how this decision by Bud Light impacted ANYONE’s life other than the recipient’s. It is simply another sign that today’s conservatives go out of their way to find something to be outraged about.

The over reaction has been simultaneously ridiculous and sad. It shows us far more about the sheep mentality of the right than it does about Bud Light.

Bud’s parent company reported this morning, that the overall impact has been about 1% of their global sales.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(05-08-2023, 08:26 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Same here.  I only have any idea about this situation because of the backlash from conservatives being big news.

According to this article that references a Washington Post poll, about 2/3 of Americans asked responded that trans women should not be allowed to compete in Women's sports, at any level of competition.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/look-sports-world-reacts-to-transgender-athlete-poll-results/ar-AA1aRpg5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4114776109a34f9eb1c3aeb492d4db55&ei=127

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-08-2023, 08:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to this article that references a Washington Post poll, about 2/3 of Americans asked responded that trans women should not be allowed to compete in Women's sports, at any level of competition.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/look-sports-world-reacts-to-transgender-athlete-poll-results/ar-AA1aRpg5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4114776109a34f9eb1c3aeb492d4db55&ei=127

This isn't about a trans person who is competing in sports versus females, as far as I know.  That's the thing about all this, I can get the idea that biologically born males shouldn't compete in sports versus females, but this is about people losing their shit over a trans person being involved in anything.
Were the woke trans activists that tried to boycott the game 'Hogwarts Legacy" right and I was wrong for buying & playing it? The boycott was due to JK Rowling's tweets from about 3 years ago, which I didn't necessarily disagree with, other than she probably should have kept it private to avoid the woke mob. Many of those activists were saying those that bought it were supporting transphobia and hate.

1 billion dollars in sales later, that attempted boycott failed. And I had a really fun time playing it, especially roaming around Hogwarts with the moving pictures and all it's secrets.

But I do see some overreaction from a few people like Kid Rock on the Bud Light thing. Because in my little cis male gendered brain (did I phrase that right?), who actually drinks Bud Light and is rich? Doesnt make any sense to me.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

I think, and I know this could really start something, that the trans rights activists have gone too far and this boycott is part of that. I have absolutely zero issue with anyone living as their authentic selves, right up to the point that doing so negatively impacts on others. BTW this is essentially what JK Rowling said that got her labeled a transphobic bigot and worse. Transwomen playing in women's sports has already been mentioned, but you could include transwomen with male genitalia using women's locker rooms. You could also include children being taken to drag shows (yes I know trans and drag are not the same thing but it's all getting lumped in), which I don't get at all. My parents wouldn't have taken me to any sexually explicit show of any kind when I was a kid. They didn't let me come to the Follies in Paris when we visited and I was twelve.

But I think what has people up in arms the most is "gender affirming care" for children. Here's where the mud really starts flying. People under eighteen having unalterable medical treatment, and puberty blockers would be included here as they have permanent effects, really bothers a lot of people. It also rather exposes a huge area of hypocrisy for the progressive left. They constantly point to the scientific fact that the brain is not fully developed until around twenty-five, hence those people should be treated as less culpable than a full adult. At the same time they will advocate for irreversible medical procedures for people much younger than eighteen. Also, is there a degree of social contagion at work causing young people to identify as trans? While the jury is still very much out on this I strongly suspect we'll find out in a few years that this is exactly the case. And there is a large segment of our society who have planted their flag on labeling limiting that type of "care" as "trans genocide."

So I think Dylan Mulvaney is caught up in all of the above. Add in the fact that there are some people who think she's not genuine and is just doing this for attention. I could care less about that, as I said be whatever or whoever you want as long as it doesn't negatively impact on others, and I don't know how you could make an argument that Mulvaney is doing that.
(05-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Were the woke trans activists that tried to boycott the game 'Hogwarts Legacy" right and I was wrong for buying & playing it? The boycott was due to JK Rowling's tweets from about 3 years ago, which I didn't necessarily disagree with, other than she probably should have kept it private to avoid the woke mob. Many of those activists were saying those that bought it were supporting transphobia and hate.

1 billion dollars in sales later, that attempted boycott failed. And I had a really fun time playing it, especially roaming around Hogwarts with the moving pictures and all it's secrets.

But I do see some overreaction from a few people like Kid Rock on the Bud Light thing. Because in my little cis male gendered brain (did I phrase that right?), who actually drinks Bud Light and is rich? Doesnt make any sense to me.

People are free to boycott, and I believe personally that people should make their preferences known via economic means. The interesting thing about this Bud Light thing is just how inefficient and chaotic our ability to logically boycott is.

The company is political for making these promotions with a trans person, but wasn't political when they were giving millions to a political party.  We see people like Don Jr begging boycotting conservatives to stop because the company has a history of giving people he supports money.  We see people of note and influence making a grand gesture to show they are NOT buying Bud Light, but they are buying other beverages that are made by the same company they are vowing to boycott.

Add in that conservatives gleefully make corporations into gigantic, ultra rich, too big to fail, monoliths and then think they're going to send them to the dark ages by boycotting them.  Just seeing conservatives boycotting or fighting against these insane corporations that have more money than most countries on the planet via decades of conservative-backed initiatives and economic loopholes is interesting.  We spend decades subbing to these giant corporations and they do something woke and now suddenly the NFL and Disney and Anheiser Bush are going to feel the wrath of the people.

Oh, and part of getting back at these woke companies is electing republican politicians who are going to make sure they never have to pay taxes.  Good idea, we've got this one.  Power to the peasants. 
(05-08-2023, 11:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Add in that conservatives gleefully make corporations into gigantic, ultra rich, too big to fail, monoliths and then think they're going to send them to the dark ages by boycotting them.  Just seeing conservatives boycotting or fighting against these insane corporations that have more money than most countries on the planet via decades of conservative-backed initiatives and economic loopholes is interesting.  We spend decades subbing to these giant corporations and they do something woke and now suddenly the NFL and Disney and Anheiser Bush are going to feel the wrath of the people.

Interestingly enough many GOP politicians have stated that the boycott is unnecessary as AB is a rather large GOP donor.  This boycott is much more of a grassroots movement than a political one, which is probably why it's having the effect it is and is ongoing.
(05-08-2023, 08:32 AM)pally Wrote: Bud’s parent company reported this morning, that the overall impact has been about 1% of their global sales.

But also state it's too early to have a full view.

In the long run, it will have more of an impact than 1%. Many men (rather you agree or not) will not want to drink Bud Light because of the backlash they would receive from their friends and coworkers. Similar to why I wouldn't sit at a bar next to my friends and order a Green Fairy or a Milky Way Martini. Not because I don't have confidence in my being, but because I don't want to hear the BS. 

(05-08-2023, 11:33 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interestingly enough many GOP politicians have stated that the boycott is unnecessary as AB is a rather large GOP donor.  This boycott is much more of a grassroots movement than a political one, which is probably why it's having the effect it is and is ongoing.

I hear ya, it's another one of those moments where it's clear the royals of the GOP have lost control of the mob they have created.  With that being said, we regular folks and our boycotts are like the Japanese army shooting at Godzilla.  It's also interesting to think that 10 years ago I was living in Chicago and on the dating scene and the overly liberal women I'd match up with would find my love of the NFL to be an offputtingly conservative thing that they were against and boycotting.

We can do what we see fit and right, but AB and the NFL and Disney are going to be around long after we are dust.

(05-08-2023, 11:37 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: But also state it's too early to have a full view.

In the long run, it will have more of an impact than 1%. Many men (rather you agree or not) will not want to drink Bud Light because of the backlash they would receive from their friends and coworkers. Similar to why I wouldn't sit at a bar next to my friends and order a Green Fairy or a Milky Way Martini. Not because I don't have confidence in my being, but because I don't want to hear the BS. 

To each his own, but I feel like the "cool" thing to do is to do what you want and not care what other people think.  I had the mindset you are expressing when I was a teenager, where I didn't feel safe without a seatbelt on, but I didn't want to wear one in front of my friends because I didn't want to look like a wimp.  Ida know, just seems like the "alpha" dudes would order whatever they want and not care about the opinions of the sheep, or something.
(05-08-2023, 11:37 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: But also state it's too early to have a full view.

Sounds like lame friends and co-workers, but I do get it. I grew up in a small town and there was a lot of stuff like this. If you didn't do the "manly" thing, you would get made fun of relentlessly/get nicknames/etc.

A quick joke is fine and maybe even expected. "Oh, Goose has to have his fruit juice let him be." However, the guys that will just drown you in BS for it? Those are the dudes that don't wash their asshole because they are afraid of it being gay. 
I mean I've been boycotting Bud Light for years, but mainly because most beer tastes like carbonated piss water.

Of course the hilarious part of all of this is the people flocking to social media to show themselves buying the shit and then shooting it or running it over with their cars. Like bro - they won. You gave them money; they stopped caring after that.

Plus that beer you just swore fealty to also put out some Trans acceptance publicity, as has the car manufacturer your using to crush your beer. You're just too daft to find it. (This last part isn't directed at anyone here specifically; just a general response to some TikToks I've seen over the last few weeks).
(05-08-2023, 12:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sounds like lame friends and co-workers, but I do get it. I grew up in a small town and there was a lot of stuff like this. If you didn't do the "manly" thing, you would get made fun of relentlessly/get nicknames/etc.

A quick joke is fine and maybe even expected. "Oh, Goose has to have his fruit juice let him be." However, the guys that will just drown you in BS for it? Those are the dudes that don't wash their asshole because they are afraid of it being gay. 

The "manliness monitors" have so much in common with catty and image-obsessed high schools girls that it gives me irony overload.  

Oh my gaaawwwd you're wearing/drinking that? I don't think we can be friends anymore!
(05-08-2023, 11:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: To each his own, but I feel like the "cool" thing to do is to do what you want and not care what other people think.  I had the mindset you are expressing when I was a teenager, where I didn't feel safe without a seatbelt on, but I didn't want to wear one in front of my friends because I didn't want to look like a wimp.  Ida know, just seems like the "alpha" dudes would order whatever they want and not care about the opinions of the sheep, or something.

Well, a person could do what you suggest and listen to the BS or he can order a Miller Lite and not have to deal with it at all. I think boycotting has more of an impact than many think and as long as we are talking about it and the topic remains in the media, it will have an impact.

However, when we speak of boycotts not having an impact on major companies, SeaWord and Nestle would disagree.