Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Dalton a Patriot?
(04-25-2020, 11:16 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think Dalton would be open to a pay cut if we trade him to a team he can start for. With the musical chairs at QB almost over with he’ll probably be open to a pay cut to stay here soon if he’s not already. He’s in a situation now where less money will be his best career move

I think AD would restructure if given a guarantee Burrow would have to beat him out for job. ANY QB would love to throw to these guys we have now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think AD would restructure if given a guarantee Burrow would have to beat him out for job. ANY QB would love to throw to these guys we have now.

Why would he not just wait to get cut and then sign with a team that needs a starting QB?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Pats or others have permission to restructure AD contract. They could give him a 2 year deal worth 25 million, but only 15 million guaranteed or a 3 year deal to spread the cap over many years, but no only 18 million guarantee (18 million divided by 3 years equals cap hit of only 6 million for the Pats).

It can be done more easily than some realize if a team wants Dalton.

If it would be so easy (and they actually want Dalton as much as some of you think) why hasn’t it already happened?

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:56 AM)McC Wrote: Cam has already passed a physical by an independent doctor.

I hadn't heard that.

The only physical I heard about was with the Panthers prior to his release.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:27 AM)TheSweetness Wrote: Why would he not just wait to get cut and then sign with a team that needs a starting QB?

There’s not a lot of teams left that need starting QB’s and there is some actual competition on the FA market as well. I’d take Dalton over those guys but that doesn’t mean NFL teams will agree. It’s also not a guarantee that he’ll get cut. I know everyone says look at the cap hit, but don’t forget, this is Mike Brown and the Bengals. They’ve been known to be stubborn from time to time. They will do everything possible before cutting him for nothing. They’ve already strengthened their grip on him in that relationship just by watching all of these other jobs fill up.

His best choice at this point is to take a pay cut (bigger the better for him) and hope we either trade him now to a team that likes him and his new lower cap hit (which we could make a signing bonus and basically trade him away with little to no cap hit for the new team) over the other QB’s available and their likely higher hits, or keep him to start the first few game or teach burrow and trade him at the deadline
Reply/Quote
Make it stop
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Make it stop

I missed your takes on this stuff. Lol

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If it would be so easy (and they actually want Dalton as much as some of you think) why hasn’t it already happened?

Right there with you.  The Patriots, or Jags, likely aren't as interested in Dalton as Bengals fans would hope & if they are interested, they'll hold firm and wait until he is released before mulling over whether they want to sign him or not.  

Dalton has been a serviceable NFL QB and joins Bengals greats at the position: Kenny, Boomer, and Palmer.  In today's NFL, however, he's been an average to good QB, not great and certainly not a playoff winning/Super Bowl bound QB.

All that said, I hope a team caves and gives us a 4th or 5th round pick for him today.
Reply/Quote
I would love to land Thuney. But I do not see it happening. With or without Dalton included. Why?

1) Would you trade an all-pro offensive lineman in his prime right as a new QB is being broken in? Me neither.

2) If you answered yes, for what? NE has a zillion mid-round picks, they are spending picks to move up. They do not need another 4th or 5th.

3) There is always fat NFL teams can trim off a roster because there is so little guaranteed money. Take us for example. If we had to, we could create $10 million in cap savings with little dead cap impact.

Player: Salary: Cap hit if cut/traded: Savings
Shawn Williams. $4.485: $400k: Savings = $4,085,000
Alex Redmond: $2,133,000: $0: Savings = $2,133,000
Cethan Carter: $2,133,000: $0: Savings = $2,133,000
Josh Tupou: $2,133,000: 0$: Savings = $2,133,000
Andrew Erickson: $1,966,688: $166, 688: Savings = $1,800,000
LeShaun Sims: $1,681,250: $250k: Savings $1,431,250
Giovani Bernard: $4,766,666: $666,666 ($666,668 in 2021): savings: $4,100,000

That is $17.5 mil in savings on 7 guys. Say $800,000 per to replace them with minimum types ($5.6 mil), and we still saved $11.9 mil. Would it suck to lose those guys? Especially Gio & Shawn? Yes. Would you do it for an all-pro lineman at age 27?

Point is, if NE wants, they can create room. Though it could sting a bit.

4) Eason & Fromm are still on the board.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:50 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Snip

Nothing to add to your post, but that username?? Child please.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nothing to add to your post, but that username?? Child please.

I know, everyone knows Tyler Eifert is the real 85 lol
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:59 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I know, everyone knows Tyler Eifert is the real 85 lol

Who? Oh yeah...that guy was pretty good that one year...

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fromm is still on the board, too.

You don't even have to pay that guy.  State Farm will pay his salary and then some.   Here is the commercial:

Jake Fromm walks in to the locker room of his new team and every time he introduces himself to someone, he says:  "Jake Fromm", and the person replies "State Farm".  It was just too easy.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't blame the Jaguars or the Patriots for already having a deal worked out and wanting to make it official AFTER the draft.
Reply/Quote
4th round seems like the round in which we could swing a trade for Andy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No way in hell dalton starts over Burrow. Imagine the backlash.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Make it stop

LOL

And the known biggest Dalton hater chimes in with a fearful comment. Bfine is afraid Dalton stays. Hilarious
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 12:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: LOL

And the known biggest Dalton hater chimes in with a fearful comment. Bfine is afraid Dalton stays. Hilarious

Obviously I was gone too long. I'm one of the few that wanted Andy to stay. Hell, I started this thread before I was sent on mandatory vacation:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Andy isn't going to restructure.

His best bet at this point is to wait for the Bengals to either cut him so he can go somewhere to compete for a starting job or at least a 1 year deal with a little bit of signing money and try again in 2021. Or he can hold a clipboard here and wait for a midseason trade so he can showcase his stuff or try again in 2021.

If he restructures that will add more time to his deal and limits his chance at making a better money somewhere else as a possible starter.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Same boat as you. A lot of chatter of Andy landing there, but no moves. I read somewhere that BB might have enough confidence in Stidham to roll with him. Or, maybe there’s a qb he thinks he can mold into greatness that he’s confident he can get in later rounds? Hard to tell with BB. I think if they want to continue being competitive, then need someone like Andy for a few years.

Of course he's going to say that, like the Bengals are going to say that they'd be happy to have Dalton stay. It undermines negotiating positions to concede otherwise. I wouldn't read anything into it.

(04-25-2020, 10:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure we would have heard if he was... Tongue

I don’t think NE has the cap room for Dalton. They would probably try to sign him for peanuts if we cut him, but they had like 37 mid round picks and didn’t even call.

I just don’t think we get anything for him at this point. Probably just ends up getting cut.

Do we know they didn't call or is that an assumption?

(04-25-2020, 12:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Andy isn't going to restructure.

His best bet at this point is to wait for the Bengals to either cut him so he can go somewhere to compete for a starting job or at least a 1 year deal with a little bit of signing money and try again in 2021. Or he can hold a clipboard here and wait for a midseason trade so he can showcase his stuff or try again in 2021.

If he restructures that will add more time to his deal and limits his chance at making a better money somewhere else as a possible starter.

There are a couple of reasons he might want to restructure.

1. He's coming off a down year. He may fancy his chances of securing a favorable deal in free agency after a year more when he's won more than 2 games. Restructuring buys him time to bounce back.
2. He'll get more money by restructuring than being cut. He's not getting $17m on the open market at this stage of the year. Restructuring will allow the Bengals to top up whatever his new team can afford to pay this year.
Reply/Quote