Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Dalton a Patriot?
(04-26-2020, 02:17 AM)J24 Wrote: Jay Gruden is there Offensive Coordinator + maybe there not sold on the Mustache as you are. Who knows though it's just speculation.

It's not so much about being sold on Minshew so much as looking at the situation from their perspective.  They have a popular 6th round pick rookie who stepped up when their FA-bust QB in Foles went down immediately.  If you are Gruden how do you sell the idea that you are going to bring in a QB you coached who hasn't had a winning season in 4 years, won 2 games as a starter last year, and on paper has stats that are significantly worse than the popular cheap guy you have now?

Let's look at Burrow and Minshew without the whole 1st overall pick vs 6th round afterthought thing.  Minshew was a .500 QB with 21 TDs to 6 INTs and a rating of 91.2.  If Burrow puts up similar numbers in 2020 are we going to say "Oh crap...we need to go back to Dalton!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not so much about being sold on Minshew so much as looking at the situation from their perspective.  They have a popular 6th round pick rookie who stepped up when their FA-bust QB in Foles went down immediately.  If you are Gruden how do you sell the idea that you are going to bring in a QB you coached who hasn't had a winning season in 4 years, won 2 games as a starter last year, and on paper has stats that are significantly worse than the popular cheap guy you have now?

Let's look at Burrow and Minshew without the whole 1st overall pick vs 6th round afterthought thing.  Minshew was a .500 QB with 21 TDs to 6 INTs and a rating of 91.2.  If Burrow puts up similar numbers in 2020 are we going to say "Oh crap...we need to go back to Dalton!"

Those aren't bad numbers.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:59 PM)motoarch Wrote: Those aren't bad numbers.

I know there is more to it than stats, but again Dalton's value is at an all-time low right now so expecting Gruden to show up and be like "Hey this QB I coached 7 years ago should be our starter!" is a hard sell.  With that being said, if Minshew flops hard this year I can't imagine anyone being too surprised.  He's like a good-natured underdog version of Baker Mayfield though, the guy is fun and popular and the Jaguars just watched a 3rd overall pick in Bortles go bust and SB MVP Nic Foles stink it up as well.

They've got an interesting QB now and they may as well roll with it.
Reply/Quote
Nothing is going to happen until we release Andy. Then he is free to do deals that cause a lot less cap pain.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if Dalton is a patriot, but I just read that the Patriots drafted a kicker yesterday with a snazzy 3%er tattoo that he's vowed to cover up... Maybe Dalton has one of those stickers on his Lexus.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep poo pooing this scenario.  Unless I missed it, NE has not drafted a QB. You can't tell me they are going to roll with Brian Hoyer and some kid I've never heard of. There's a deal in the works somewhere. 1 on 1 trade for a lineman? Belicheat, I would think, would realize if he puts a decent team around Dalton, he could win for them for a season or 2 while they work out getting their next franchise QB.

They aren't rolling with Stidham and Hoyer man, no way.

Belichick doesn't play to lose for an early pick, Dalton to the Pats is very likely.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They aren't rolling with Stidham and Hoyer man, no way.

Belichick doesn't play to lose for an early pick, Dalton to the Pats is very likely.

Everything comes to an end. The Pats could finally be entering a bit of a rebuild. Belichick certainly seemed more interested in acquiring picks then he did finding a bridge QB who doesn’t give him a great chance to win a championship anyway.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Everything comes to an end. The Pats could finally be entering a bit of a rebuild. Belichick certainly seemed more interested in acquiring picks then he did finding a bridge QB who doesn’t give him a great chance to win a championship anyway.

You think Billy B would want to lose to get an early pick?

I don't. He would lose with Hoyer starting for sure, don't know about Stidham yet but Dalton would at least give them a chance.

That is, as long is their O-line holds up.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Everything comes to an end. The Pats could finally be entering a bit of a rebuild. Belichick certainly seemed more interested in acquiring picks then he did finding a bridge QB who doesn’t give him a great chance to win a championship anyway.

BB has said he missed on a QB, not his plan just drft did not fall to him. My guess is Love or Hurts was his target. Philly and Packers did the unexpected.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You think Billy B would want to lose to get an early pick?

I don't. He would lose with Hoyer starting for sure, don't know about Stidham yet but Dalton would at least give them a chance.

That is, as long is their O-line holds up.

I don’t think Dalton gives them a chance to win a championship. That’s the thing. And that’s what it’s about for the Patriots. I think he’d rather just rebuild the team for a year or two, and make one more run before he retires.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep poo pooing this scenario.  Unless I missed it, NE has not drafted a QB. You can't tell me they are going to roll with Brian Hoyer and some kid I've never heard of. There's a deal in the works somewhere. 1 on 1 trade for a lineman? Belicheat, I would think, would realize if he puts a decent team around Dalton, he could win for them for a season or 2 while they work out getting their next franchise QB.

Pats and Jags are waiting for the Bengals to cut him so they could get him cheap. It almost seems certain at this point that he gets cut, I can't imagine he stays in Cincy, takes a huge pay cut, and also trains/helps his replacement. I know Dalton's a nice guy and all but damn, I just don't see the staying scenario. My 2 cents.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think Dalton gives them a chance to win a championship. That’s the thing. And that’s what it’s about for the Patriots. I think he’d rather just rebuild the team for a year or two, and make one more run before he retires.

I just don't know if Belichick has it in him to not go for a Championship.

Sure, Dalton has sucked in the big games for the most part but he is solid and has never had great coaching around him for the 
most part. He is a good pocket passer in the middle of the field that is very good at throwing post routes. I think this would be a
good move for the Pats if they want to get rid of a little salary and I just saw the Zac interview and he knows something brother...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not so much about being sold on Minshew so much as looking at the situation from their perspective.  They have a popular 6th round pick rookie who stepped up when their FA-bust QB in Foles went down immediately.  If you are Gruden how do you sell the idea that you are going to bring in a QB you coached who hasn't had a winning season in 4 years, won 2 games as a starter last year, and on paper has stats that are significantly worse than the popular cheap guy you have now?

A few reasons why you would bring a veteran in to compete  and backup Minshew 

1. A small window by Minshew vs large window by Dalton (overall winning record, lead team to 5 playoffs, solid QB, still young for a QB etc)
2. If Jacksonville feels they have the pieces to compete they might want a veteran to be able to step in if Minshew struggles or gets hurt
3.  Dalton's greatest success as a QB was under Gruden.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think Dalton gives them a chance to win a championship. That’s the thing. And that’s what it’s about for the Patriots. I think he’d rather just rebuild the team for a year or two, and make one more run before he retires.

The Patriot way is the believe that Bill will take a player (that commits to the Patriot way) and move them up a level and really that actually is what makes Andy appealing to teams like the Patriots.. He has performed well enough to get into the playoffs, as a whole protects the ball and gets rid of it.. that is appealing to Patriots since they have a system that would build on that
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 09:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Patriot way is the believe that Bill will take a player (that commits to the Patriot way) and move them up a level and really that actually is what makes Andy appealing to teams like the Patriots.. He has performed well enough to get into the playoffs, as a whole protects the ball and gets rid of it.. that is appealing to Patriots since they have a system that would build on that

You’re basing your opinion on pure speculation. The Patriots have shown absolutely no interest (that we know of) at this point.

To me it’s just wishful thinking. Both in that the big Dalton fans want to see him go to the Patriots, and that they want to still get something for him.

I’m expecting neither will happen. Just my opinion.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 09:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Patriot way is the believe that Bill will take a player (that commits to the Patriot way) and move them up a level and really that actually is what makes Andy appealing to teams like the Patriots.. He has performed well enough to get into the playoffs, as a whole protects the ball and gets rid of it.. that is appealing to Patriots since they have a system that would build on that

Andy Dalton has all the basic skills the Patriots want. Basically he’s very malleable and coachable which is all Bill Belichick needs. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Andy in New England but it’s not going to happen this week.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 09:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Patriot way is the believe that Bill will take a player (that commits to the Patriot way) and move them up a level and really that actually is what makes Andy appealing to teams like the Patriots.. He has performed well enough to get into the playoffs, as a whole protects the ball and gets rid of it.. that is appealing to Patriots since they have a system that would build on that

Agree with this Essex.

(04-26-2020, 09:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re basing your opinion on pure speculation. The Patriots have shown absolutely no interest (that we know of) at this point.

To me it’s just wishful thinking. Both in that the big Dalton fans want to see him go to the Patriots, and that they want to still get something for him.

I’m expecting neither will happen. Just my opinion.

Wishful thinking isn't a bad thing, but common sense says there is something going on between us and the Pats.

Looking at the way Belichick hasn't gotten a proven QB and the way MB and him get along and the way Zac was almost 
hinting at something in his Draft interview is telling me something. We need to treat Dalton better than just cutting him.

Dude is a stand up brother, just treat Dalton right.

We said we would, keep to our word.

(04-26-2020, 09:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andy Dalton has all the basic skills the Patriots want.  Basically he’s very malleable and coachable which is all Bill Belichick needs.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see Andy in New England but it’s not going to happen this week.

Same.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 09:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andy Dalton has all the basic skills the Patriots want.  Basically he’s very malleable and coachable which is all Bill Belichick needs.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see Andy in New England but it’s not going to happen this week.

Just think back to the last time Bill saw Andy play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:21 PM)McC Wrote: Just think back to the last time Bill saw Andy play.

I’m sure Bill Belichick has film on Andy Dalton from any game he wants, not just the last time he played New England. I would think film against the rest of the AFC East would be more valuable.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m sure Bill Belichick has film on Andy Dalton from any game he wants, not just the last time he played New England.  I would think film against the rest of the AFC East would be more valuable.
The notion that Belichick wants Andy Dalton is a fabrication that exists nowhere outside the minds of some Bengal fans.

Seriously, he's gonna follow up Brady with Dalton?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote