Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is There a Doctor in the House? High Ankle Sprain ?
I think you know where I'm going with this. Who could lay some sports medicine knowledge on me? I'm wanting to know more about a high ankle sprain.Is it something an athlete can recuperate from quickly and return to action or is it somthing that could hinder, let's say, a NFL QB from returning to action within a few days?

Romo said a guy could play on it immediately after the injury because of adrenalin but he said it gets worse over the four days after the injury and can feel like a softball on you ankle. I know I've sprained my ankle pretty severely two or three times in my life and I could barely walk or days and it swelled to twice its normal size. I can't imagine trying to outrun professional athletes with a badly sprained ankle.

Let me ask the Bengals Board medical professionals another question. If your ankle has been compromised due to a high ankle sprain, is it something that increases the likelihood of injuring the ankle again? I know when I've hurt my ankle, it seems like if I'm not extremely careful, I'll roll over it again due to it already being in a weakened state.

I know very little about the medical side of this injury. Is it something an elite athlete can play with or can it be a real problem? I can't help but think it would have to seriously affect a QB's mobility and maybe even the ability to throw the ball down the field.

What's the verdict on this injury? Isn't this the same type of injury that has sidelined Cappa?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Not an expert, but I think Mahomes will at least be limited in his scrambling ability. Henne could play some of the game if necessary and he's no slouch. At a minimum, the injury will be uncomfortable and can impact the game.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
A grade 1 high ankle sprain, which this appears to be, is generally a 2-6 week injury. If next week wasn’t the AFCC game he wouldn’t play. But it is and he will. It will be taped heavily. He probably will not wear a brace as they restrict motion too much. He’ll likely have a torodol injection and even possibly a lidocaine injection into the ankle itself. It will be difficult for him to push off the foot which will be most noticeable on long passes. Lateral movements also will be compromised.

He should be limited this week in practice maybe even missing a day but this is Patrick Mahomes so he might defy all the medical experts, and armchair expectations. Bengals need to prepare as if he is normal Patrick

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I hope mahomes is at 100%. You support football teams your whole life to see them play players like this in games that matter. Really excited by the match-up, hope he's able to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 06:40 AM)Watersider Wrote: I hope mahomes is at 100%. You support football teams your whole life to see them play players like this in games that matter. Really excited by the match-up, hope he's able to go.

I’ll take an 80% m as mahomes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Watching the replay of the injury, I have no earthly clue how that man is going to play on Sunday. Not saying he won't. I just don't understand how.

It looked almost identical to Alex Cappa's, and Cappa was sidelined for at least 6 weeks (different positions, I know). It also looks like something similar happened to Pollard last night and he was immediately carted off the field.

Tony Romo said Mahomes' ankle will likely get worse as the week progresses, yet Mahomes is adamant he's playing. I'll give the guy tons of props if he makes it out there on Sunday, but I do have to wonder. I'm also curious what his risk of worsening the injury is should he try to play through.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Iv sprained my ankle badly twice and both times it was crutches for me.

First one i was able to walk by Monday. (Happened on Friday)
Second one which i think is closer to what happened to Mahommes i was pretty much screwed for 3 weeks. It still hurt in week 4 but if i wanted to play basketball or something i could’ve done it with minimal pain

If Mahommes got his ankle sprained like that no way he’s good in a week
-Housh
Reply/Quote
We're lucky Joe dodged that bullet in the game. Took a shot to his plant ankle at one point but walked it off
Reply/Quote
He returned to the game on Saturday. I assume he’s good to go for next week???

Or is it one of those injuries that hurts worse the next few days than it does when you injure it?
Reply/Quote
Mahomes will be medicated for pain and taped for support. At worst, he will be able to bring it but “only” be 90% of who he usually is (which is still better than most other QB’s at 100%).

Chad Henne didn’t exactly crap the bed as their back up.

What I don’t like is that now — we not only need to prepare Mahomes, but game plan on Henne too.

IMHO, the Bengals need to shut down Pacheko and Kelce

Both are super dangerous
Reply/Quote
I hope we get the same snow as we did in Buffalo.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:17 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: We're lucky Joe dodged that bullet in the game. Took a shot to his plant ankle at one point but walked it off

Yeah, the defensive player sliding across the field right into Burrows legs looked like a sure injury. It's possible his feet were not actually planted and that saved him.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:26 AM)tBengal Wrote: He returned to the game on Saturday. I assume he’s good to go for next week???

Or is is one of those injuries that hurts worse the next few days than it does when you injure it?

Romo said when he had a high ankle sprain, it was manageable the same day it happened but it got progressively worse through the week.  Plus Mahomes was hopped up on painkillers on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to watch how things unfold this week.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:31 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Romo said when he had a high ankle sprain, it was manageable the same day it happened but it got progressively worse through the week.  Plus Mahomes was hopped up on painkillers on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to watch how things unfold this week.

I guarantee you they had him iced up every hour all thru the night and yesterday to manage the swelling.He'll definitely play but pushing off that thing on mid-deep throws won't be too good and obviously trying to change direction when he scrambles which is a huge part of his game.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 06:19 AM)pally Wrote: A grade 1 high ankle sprain, which this appears to be, is generally a 2-6 week injury. If next week wasn’t the AFCC game he wouldn’t play.  But it is and he will.  It will be taped heavily.  He probably will not wear a brace as they restrict motion too much. He’ll likely have a torodol injection and even possibly a lidocaine injection into the ankle itself.  It will be difficult for him to push off the foot which will be most noticeable on long passes.  Lateral movements also will be compromised.

He should be limited this week in practice maybe even missing a day but this is Patrick Mahomes so he might defy all the medical experts, and armchair expectations.  Bengals need to prepare as if he is normal Patrick

This.  Dead on.  The tape job and shot will make him feel invincible.  Now, could he pay the price after the game?  Sure, but you can bet they won't be thinking about that this Sunday.  It is two weeks until the Super Bowl, and they will not look past Cincinnati.  

The media will drama it up to insane levels (get ready for a ton of ball washing during the broadcast) but he will be pretty much the same guy he has been. 
Reply/Quote
I'm sure they are using all the medical manipulation (steroids, etc) to get him ready for this weekend.

STOP Kelce, we're in SB again.

The block and release for huge yardage or a 1st down is getting so old with Kelce, whoever was the Jaguars DC needs to be canned ASAP.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:04 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Watching the replay of the injury, I have no earthly clue how that man is going to play on Sunday.  Not saying he won't.  I just don't understand how.      

It looked almost identical to Alex Cappa's, and Cappa was sidelined for at least 6 weeks (different positions, I know).  It also looks like something similar happened to Pollard last night and he was immediately carted off the field.  

Tony Romo said Mahomes' ankle will likely get worse as the week progresses, yet Mahomes is adamant he's playing.  I'll give the guy tons of props if he makes it out there on Sunday, but I do have to wonder.  I'm also curious what his risk of worsening the injury is should he try to play through.

It came out today that Pollard broke his leg on that play and needs surgery. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 10:37 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm sure they are using all the medical manipulation (steroids, etc) to get him ready for this weekend.

STOP Kelce, we're in SB again.

The block and release for huge yardage or a 1st down is getting so old with Kelce, whoever was the Jaguars DC needs to be canned ASAP.

Fired? IDK about that. Kelce was targeted 17 times in that game which is unheard of in this league. 14 catches for only 98 yards with a long of 15. He's a great player that caught umpteen balls on 5-6 yard sit down patterns, quick digs,drag patterns, etc.Tough to defend on those short ones.Obviously, they clearly targeted him and especially when Mahomes got hurt.

Yet, even with him catching those balls, Jacksonville fumbles the ball on a 1st down conversion on the KC 3 yard line and Kirk drops a deep ball on the KC 5.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 10:50 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Fired? IDK about that. Kelce was targeted 17 times in that game which is unheard of in this league. 14 catches for only 98 yards with a long of 15. He's a great player that caught umpteen balls on 5-6 yard sit down patterns, quick digs,drag patterns, etc.Tough to defend on those short ones.Obviously, they clearly targeted him and especially when Mahomes got hurt.

Yet, even with him catching those balls, Jacksonville fumbles the ball on a 1st down conversion on the KC 3 yard line and Kirk drops a deep ball on the KC 5.

So the coach shouldn’t be taken to task for a dumbass game plan because the Jags almost overcame his idiocy?

I watched the game. They literally let Kelce win the game by himself with all his catches.

I feel like you could only make the play you made if you didn’t actually watch the game and just read stats

Kelce won that game nearly by himself on offense. Had 10 catches at halftime dude. You don’t think 10 receptions hurt that defense? Like what’s the argument here?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I suppose I don't care how badly Mahomes is injured. The dude is a future-HoF QB so I hope the Bengals game plan as if they are facing a 100% healthy Mahomes. I'm sure Lou will have the defense ready to go.
Reply/Quote