Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is Whit Worth $20 Million?
(01-09-2017, 05:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hogwash on the "Whit is too old to invest good money in" theory.  He's 35, not 45...

Here's 50 guys who played in the NFL 40 and beyond.

http://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/40-and-over-club/

Did you happen to notice how there were only four offensive linemen on that list, and how two of them played in the 1920's?  35 is a scary age for a left tackle, but the Bengals have no other viable options.

Give him two years $20 million and hope he is able to make it through the second year.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Being a good player and being a good coach are 2 different things. The skillset doesn't necessarily translate.

This is true but Whit is one smart dude. I bet he would make a fine O-line coach if he wanted to be one.

Or even a Head Coach some day.

(01-09-2017, 05:37 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Also, why is the assumption that he would even want to be a coach?  NFL coaches work insane hours and are under intense stress.  From what I understand he regularly gives paid speeches and does motivational activities, which I am certain pay more than being an assistant coach under Mike Brown.  If I'm him, no way would I want to do that.

Yeah, it was just a dream. Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:00 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Did you happen to notice how there were only four offensive linemen on that list, and how two of them played in the 1920's?  35 is a scary age for a left tackle, but the Bengals have no other viable options.

Give him two years $20 million and hope he is able to make it through the second year.

Whitworth seems to be incredibly preserved for an athlete his age.  He had knee issues a couple years back, but no mention of them this year or last.  He is one of the few big men in the NFL to actually lose weight, and maintain his playing ability.  I'd say that he knows what he's doing, he's a smart man.  It's not like he's some washed up has-been that is just hangin' on for one more paycheck.  The guy is still a great Tackle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whitworth seems to be incredibly preserved for an athlete his age.  He had knee issues a couple years back, but no mention of them this year or last.  He is one of the few big men in the NFL to actually lose weight, and maintain his playing ability.  I'd say that he knows what he's doing, he's a smart man.  It's not like he's some washed up has-been that is just hangin' on for one more paycheck.  The guy is still a great Tackle.

I agree, but time will catch up with him.  35 is very old for an NFL player, and basically ancient for a lineman.  Yes, he still plays at an exceptionally high level, but father time will catch up with him sooner versus later.  That's why I said you hope he makes it through the second year of a two year deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whitworth seems to be incredibly preserved for an athlete his age.  He had knee issues a couple years back, but no mention of them this year or last.  He is one of the few big men in the NFL to actually lose weight, and maintain his playing ability.  I'd say that he knows what he's doing, he's a smart man.  It's not like he's some washed up has-been that is just hangin' on for one more paycheck.  The guy is still a great Tackle.

All true.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's what goes through my mind every time someone says "the Bengals should hire Munoz or Krumrie" or some other retired player to coach. These guys are rich and playing golf every day and are retired royalty..... why would they want to???

They kinda did hire Krumrie.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:36 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree, but time will catch up with him.  35 is very old for an NFL player, and basically ancient for a lineman.  Yes, he still plays at an exceptionally high level, but father time will catch up with him sooner versus later.  That's why I said you hope he makes it through the second year of a two year deal.

I also feel like Whitworth is a man of dignity and honor, if he "fell off the cliff", he would likely gracefully retire.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's not coming out of my pocket because if it was he'd be playing for about $50 a year at most.
I am old enough to remember when it was outrageous to pay Catfish Hunter a million a year. Try to even imagine an offensive lineman getting paid that kind of money back then. I can't wrap my mind around these kinds of salaries. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's not coming out of my pocket because if it was he'd be playing for about $50 a year at most.
I am old enough to remember when it was outrageous to pay Catfish Hunter a million a year. Try to even imagine an offensive lineman getting paid that kind of money back then. I can't wrap my mind around these kinds of salaries. 

It's hard for me to imagine a MLB starting pitcher getting $35.5M per year, but even with his postseason woes, Kershaw somehow is getting it...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 06:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I also feel like Whitworth is a man of dignity and honor, if he "fell off the cliff", he would likely gracefully retire.

Many, if not most times, the athlete is the last to realize that he no longer has it.  They have spent their entire lives based around a sport, something they have always excelled at, and can not imagine the abilities are gone.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 07:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Many, if not most times, the athlete is the last to realize that he no longer has it.  They have spent their entire lives based around a sport, something they have always excelled at, and can not imagine the abilities are gone.

Perhaps guys that could never envision themselves doing anything other than being an athlete..  Whitworth has his collective shit together.  I'd say that he's looking for one last cash boost to fund whatever venture that he wants to pursue for the rest of his life, without tapping into the rainy day fund.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In a perfect world yes

But on a rebuilding team? No

But to me with no extra stuff factored in even at his age he's worth 20 mil for 2 to 3 years
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals were a normal team that was willing to be aggressive in FA, I'd definitely say no. Whit is the oldest LT in football and is destined to fall off soon. Therefore, 2 years makes me really nervous at 10 million per. I'd thank Whit for his service and look for a long term option in FA.

That being said...this is the Bengals and if Whit isn't brought back, they're likely to go into 2017 with Ogbuehi on top of the depth chart. Ugh. It's basically pick your poison due to the Bengals avoiding FA like the plague.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 08:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If the Bengals were a normal team that was willing to be aggressive in FA, I'd definitely say no. Whit is the oldest LT in football and is destined to fall off soon. Therefore, 2 years makes me really nervous at 10 million per. I'd thank Whit for his service and look for a long term option in FA.

That being said...this is the Bengals and if Whit isn't brought back, they're likely to go into 2017 with Ogbuehi on top of the depth chart. Ugh. It's basically pick your poison due to the Bengals avoiding FA like the plague.

Personally, I'd rather see them pay handsomely for a guy that we all know, love and trust to be the best that he is able, rather than taking a chance on some rent-a-dude to take care of Andy's ass.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 08:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I'd rather see them pay handsomely for a guy that we all know, love and trust to be the best that he is able, rather than taking a chance on some rent-a-dude to take care of Andy's ass.

Depends on who the rent-a-dude is. Personally, I think there's good players available in FA almost every year. I'd rather spend big bucks on a younger proven tackle than big bucks on a soon to be 36 year old. That kind of loyalty gets the Bengals in trouble all the time. 

I'd take Whit 10/10 times over Ogbuehi though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 08:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Depends on who the rent-a-dude is. Personally, I think there's good players available in FA almost every year. I'd rather spend big bucks on a younger proven tackle than big bucks on a soon to be 36 year old. That kind of loyalty gets the Bengals in trouble all the time. 

I'd take Whit 10/10 times over Ogbuehi though.

Well, when you're talking OL, you want to keep as many pieces of a 5 man machine in place as possible.  It takes time to integrate a new member, and gain cohesiveness with the unit.  Seeing how we have other needs at OL, I find it best to keep the lynchpin in place for now..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Is he worth it? Yes.

Do you want Ced trying to block Andy's blindside?

Do you even want Ced on the bench waiting to come in?

Remember Newhouse? Newhouse plays better than Ced.

We already need a new backup RT to replace Winston.

Reply/Quote
We can not afford to lose him this season.

So heck yes he is worth it and thankfully that is all he is asking.

Because the way I see it he has us by the short hairs.

But he is one of the all-time great Bengals anyway, so pay the man.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
giphy-facebook_s.jpg (480×270)
Reply/Quote
I don't know? Man he is getting up there in age. Would love to have him on the coaching staff if he doesn't go somewhere else. He's a moderate risk but I love the guy. Unless we all think we are going to the SB, the I say no.

Reply/Quote