Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is Whit Worth $20 Million?
(01-10-2017, 10:25 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I see, blame the reporter who said Whit is asking for $20 million. How do you know ESPN is pushing fake facts? I guess you were there like the others. I just report what I saw on TV. And stated my source. You can believe it or not.

But, even the reporter didn't say that Whit was asking..  He only said that Whit should get.  Bit difference.  Yes, syntax matters when you are putting words in people's mouths.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, even the reporter didn't say that Whit was asking..  He only said that Whit should get.  Bit difference.  Yes, syntax matters when you are putting words in people's mouths.

Did you see the same segment? ESPN said Whit was asking for $20 million. I agree he should get it. I saw it on TV, not from the written article where he should get $18-20 million. You guys think googling should have every word on TV or something. 
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:14 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You cannot admit you are wrong can you? Big deal if it is only rumor. $20 million is in line with his worth. If you want me to declare a source, it was on ESPN the other day. Not everything is in written text on the internet.

Big deal if it is only rumor?  Well, for one, rumors are frequently false. Would you say "big deal" if it is false? No. 

I claimed it is an unconfirmed rumor because I can't confirm a primary source citing Whitworth asking for $20 million. So I don't know what you think I should admit I was wrong about. 

Twenty million is Whit's worth?  Is that $20 million per season? Because that isn't his worth. Is that $20 million for three seasons?  That's a bargain at less than $7 million per season. Probably below his worth. You don't have any more details. Without the details regarding the length of the contract, declaring Whit's worth is just more guess work. 

I'm sorry, but anyone who believes we should trade AJ for an unproven 1st round pick because "AJ is on the downslide of his career" has poor judgement. I'm gonna need just a little bit more than your poor judgement based upon a reporters speculation to "remember, he is asking for $20 million" when there is zero proof Whit asked for that except your claim he did. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:32 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Did you see the same segment? ESPN said Whit was asking for $20 million. I agree he should get it. I saw it on TV, not from the written article where he should get $18-20 million. You guys think googling should have every word on TV or something. 

The point is that if Whitworth, or his agent had actually said that they were looking for "X" amount of dollars, it would have been covered by at least some source that covers Bengals shit, or at least a source that was quotable.  I've seen nothing, searches turn up.... crickets.  So, I am inclined to say that ESPN is their own source, and guilty of "creating news" that hasn't actually taken place.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:22 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I see, it is about personal attacks with you. Green should be traded. You watch, we get nothing when his hammy ruins his career.

At this point, from what has been reported (and those reports are independently verifiable by yourself) the only thing AJ's hamstring needs is conservative treatment to heal completely.  Career ending hamstring injuries are few and far between. Usually hamstring injuries only become a problem when the athlete tries to return to competitive play too soon causing chronic reinjuries (which is t the case with AJ.) Or when surgery is required to reattach the hamstring to the bone. Even with surgery, most athletes are able to return to competitive sports. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:32 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Did you see the same segment? ESPN said Whit was asking for $20 million. I agree he should get it. I saw it on TV, not from the written article where he should get $18-20 million. You guys think googling should have every word on TV or something. 

You're right, you can't Google everything. Except NFL contract demands reported by ESPN on air are usually reported on ESPN.com, also. I guess the ESPN reporter who write that article missed the ESPN report you watched and that's why she didn't report it. 
Reply/Quote
Who in the heck blocks for Dalton if we lose Whitworth and Zeitler ?....Look for Dalton to get injured and then McCarron to get injured, which is worse than the 4 win or less season we will have. Why does Mike Brown and Family even have Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, LaFell, Peko, Burkhead still unsigned going into free agency. Do you realize that the 2012 draft is pretty much a bust if we lose first round picks Kirkpatrick and Zeitler along with Still and Sanu picked next and Marvin Jones. The extra pick for Carson Palmer goes down the drain. We get to keep IIoka and maybe Brandon Thompson out of the 2012 draft..I do not understand the Brown Family at all. Yes, when players reach the free agency mark, they want money, This why you do not have all these top players unsigned at the free agency mark. You have to admit some of these names should have been signed way before now. Of course there is the Franchise Tag and the going rate of pay to tag a O Lineman or CB is around 14 million for one year. Of course you only get the one Franchise Tag. I just fail to understand The Brown Family on anything they do. Not just Mike but the entire Family. I would assume that giving the long expensive contract to The Pacman and drafting Dennard and Jackson first round Mike and Family have no intention of also paying Kirkpatrick. They drafted those top pick O Linemen to probably replace Smith and Whitworth, but can we really count on those two in 2017, and one has to play right tackle. Painted into a corner, I think I would franchise tag Whitworth because there are no top Left Tackles in this draft but there are guards. In doing this as a GM, I would be very upset the Brown Family forced a choice between these two. Hopefully in tagging Whit and drafting a top guard Dalton won't have his head taken off in 2017. Looking at draft prospect lists, unless we trade down, looking at a guard not in round one, bur round two because maybe all but one could still be there. So for instance we take a LB in one to fill that need, then we take the guard in two. WE bring back the O Line minus Zeitler with one of the top guards in the draft as a rookie to try to keep Dalton from getting killed. Zeitler and Kirkpartrick leave and Dennard and Jackson better pan out at CB. In the end Whit cost about 14 mil on the franchise tag, not 20. Mike Brown feels he just saved 6 million and he gets a woodie
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Something is just wrong with the world when the offensive tackle is paid like the guy who threw 3 -hitters in the world series..
I figure if he's worth 20 million the person at the McDonalds drive through window and gets your order right the first time ought to be worth at least 15 bucks an hour and they're probably going to work more than 16 days a year.. if they wash their hands they're protecting YOU from untold nastiness.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: Something is just wrong with the world when the offensive tackle is paid like the guy who threw 3 -hitters in the world series..
I figure if he's worth 20 million the person at the McDonalds drive through window and gets your order right the first time ought to be worth at least 15 bucks an hour and they're probably going to work more than 16 days a year.. if they wash their hands they're protecting YOU from untold nastiness.. 

So you don't think football players should be paid as much as baseball players it sounds. I do know that 70 thousand people don't buy tickets to see the guy and McDonalds flip burgers and it isn't covered on National TV.  ...I'll repeat that they probably Franchise Tag Whitworth for the going tag price of around 14 mil for an O Lineman that is franchise tagged.  Of course Mike Brown once came on the radio and declared, " Why should I pay an old offensive lineman". He said this as he let Max Montoya go free agent. Max went to Oakland and was in the Pro Bowl several more years. Meanwhile the combo of Munoz retiring and Montoya leaving left us with no line getting Klingler and Ki-Jana Carter killed and those awful, awful season in the 1990's.  So Mike Brown may very well agree with you on not paying Whitworth or Zeitler after not paying Andre Smith, which will leave paying AJ Green and Andy Dalton pointless since Defenses will knock Dalton out for the season and there will be no blocking time for Green to ever get the ball thrown to him all season. Mike Brown would probably pay his players McDonalds wages if he could, even if it meant 20 years without ever winning a single game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: Something is just wrong with the world when the offensive tackle is paid like the guy who threw 3 -hitters in the world series..

Well Whitworth would be getting $20 million over 2 years.

The highest paid baseball pitchers make $25-30 million a season. They also pitch once every 5th day...and they aren't getting their brain and knees pounded on.
Reply/Quote
If 2 years, $20 million is what it takes to bring Whit back, you do it. No questions asked. Whit deserves it and there are no other viable options on the team. Knowing the organizations approach to free agency, LT isn't going to be fixed their so there are no other options.

What the guy has meant to this team, you sign him and move on. Whit should absolutely retire in stripes.
Reply/Quote
We could always go after a premier LT like Riley Reiff also. He's 28.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 12:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well Whitworth would be getting $20 million over 2 years.

The highest paid baseball pitchers make $25-30 million a season. They also pitch once every 5th day...and they aren't getting their brain and knees pounded on.

MLB has 25 man rosters and 30 teams. NFL has 53 man rosters and 32 teams. 

That's why MLB players get more $. That's also why mediocre NBA players make ridiculous $.

Smaller rosters = less distribution of income.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Are we sitting in here discussing our...WhitWorth?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That is the reporter speculating what Whit is worth based upon age, ability, and his position.  A reporter's speculation is not the same as Whit asking.  Which is also different than an anonymous message board user claiming Whit is asking for $20 million, but can't tell us if it is one season or two or three.  Twenty million for one season is ridiculous.  Twenty million for two seasons is within reason.  A lot of speculation without any details or a source is an unconfirmed rumor.  Especially considering this is the same guy who wants to trade AJ because he believes "AJ is on the downslide of his career."  Guy is fishing, but I'm not taking the bait.

I agree, me either. This is a lot of speculation and it is ESPN afterall.

(01-10-2017, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Uh, ahem, excuse me sir..  I believe it is you that need to be admitting the mistake.  Taking a random statement from some guy on ESPN, who was only opining btw, and claiming it to be what Whitworth wants is totally misleading.  If the statement had actually originated from Whitworth, or even Whit's agent, I could understand the hype.  But, it is just ESPN pushing fake facts, and you being gullible enough to run with it, for whatever reason.

(01-10-2017, 10:22 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I see, it is about personal attacks with you. Green should be traded. You watch, we get nothing when his hammy ruins his career.

Maybe if AJ retore that hammy by playing in the last game you might have some point.

AJ has a lot of time now to heal up and it should not be a problem in the future if healed correctly.

It would be crazy to trade AJ Green for a 1st round pick in the draft which is a crap shoot.

(01-10-2017, 10:25 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I see, blame the reporter who said Whit is asking for $20 million. How do you know ESPN is pushing fake facts? I guess you were there like the others. I just report what I saw on TV. And stated my source. You can believe it or not.

Where have you been? ESPN pushes the facts like every day. They are like Entertainment Tonight nowadays.

Everything is about ratings, they don't care about the truth.
Reply/Quote
How much worth is Whitworth worth if Whitworth were worth worth?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How much worth is Whitworth worth if Whitworth were worth worth?

I like that. How much money is a whitworth worth if a whitworth is whitworth.....Might as well laugh since Mike Brown and Family going to do what they going to do.  I will say if they lose most of the O Line, then don't trade McCarron. We may need 5 QBs as they get injured one by one. ....Now say Bengals and Brown 20 times fast.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 04:20 AM)kevin Wrote: I like that. How much money is a whitworth worth if a whitworth is whitworth.....Might as well laugh since Mike Brown and Family going to do what they going to do.  I will say if they lose most of the O Line, then don't trade McCarron. We may need 5 QBs as they get injured one by one. ....Now say Bengals and Brown 20 times fast.

I agree. Mike Brown will let Whit go to free agency and he will get his $20 million for 2 years elsewhere. We know Mike is cheap. I don't blame Whit. He's getting close to retirement and should ask for as much as he's worth.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 05:35 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I agree. Mike Brown will let Whit go to free agency and he will get his $20 million for 2 years elsewhere. We know Mike is cheap. I don't blame Whit. He's getting close to retirement and should ask for as much as he's worth.

I don't know if Whitworth will. He's already the oldest LT in the NFL. His play is going to start to decline sooner rather than later because of age.

There are several younger tackles on the market that will be the guys that get $10 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 05:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know if Whitworth will. He's already the oldest LT in the NFL. His play is going to start to decline sooner rather than later because of age.

There are several younger tackles on the market that will be the guys that get $10 million a year.

True, plus our team will go into rebuild mode if we don't re-sign Whit.

He is that important to THIS team. The coaches and FO put themselves in this situation by drafting Ogbuehi who is an obvious bust.
Reply/Quote