Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is Whit Worth $20 Million?
(01-10-2017, 04:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Exactly.  Don't blow your team up and rebuild it every couple years through Free Agency, but bring in those couple missing pieces to get you over the hump... actually go "all in" sometime.  We always hear about "building for the long term", but unfortunately it never seems to come.

Yes...for instance...we've needed a Center for quite some time.

What do the Bengals do...they draft a Center in the 4th Round and hand him a starting job.

We don't even start most 1st Round picks year 1...yet a 4th Round Center is drafted and named starter. This has been a weakness of the team for several seasons.

Imagine if we brought in a free agent Center and upgraded that weakness.
Reply/Quote
I could see Ogbuehi outplaying Whitworth in 5-6 years, but I doubt we keep him beyond the end of his contract, which is through 2018. I would definitely sign Whitworth for 2 years and $20MM, as we will need a new LT then anyway.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 04:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes...for instance...we've needed a Center for quite some time.

What do the Bengals do...they draft a Center in the 4th Round and hand him a starting job.

We don't even start most 1st Round picks year 1...yet a 4th Round Center is drafted and named starter. This has been a weakness of the team for several seasons.

Imagine if we brought in a free agent Center and upgraded that weakness.

that's not the norm for us though. One of the most substantial knocks on Marvin is drafting guys and then not playing them much until the last year of their deal (if ever). Bodine being such an exception there that it's almost like Marvin stuck him in just to say "See, rookies are horrible. Let me go see if Olin Kreutz wants another shot."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 04:37 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I could see Ogbuehi outplaying Whitworth in 5-6 years, but I doubt we keep him beyond the end of his contract, which is through 2018.  I would definitely sign Whitworth for 2 years and $20MM, as we will need a new LT then anyway.
Drugs are bad
Reply/Quote
What I'm hearing from most posters is Whit should get his $20 million for 2 years. I guess we'll hear more about this in the future. Remember, he is asking for $20 million. Hopefully, Mike Brown gives it to him. I would love to see him even give him more. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 05:37 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: What I'm hearing from most posters is Whit should get his $20 million for 2 years. I guess we'll hear more about this in the future. Remember, he is asking for $20 million. Hopefully, Mike Brown gives it to him. I would love to see him even give him more. lol

I remember this is an unconfirmed rumor until proven otherwise. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:21 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: It was on ESPN the other day. Not sure of the details. Says he wants $20 million. Might be for 2 years.

Sounds like you started a thread not very sure of anything.

I'll throw this at you, how much is it worth to keep the QBs  from getting killed on every play as in 2008 when every single play Carson got hit until he was injured and Fitzgerald got hit every single so he just started running for his life every snap.  We had what I consider one of the worst and ugliest years in Bengals history. Carson Palmer first had his nose broke in preseason against New Orleans and had his arm injured early in season. Trying to tough it out and play he had it injured for good. They almost ripped the arm off him. Carson Palmer had to under go a modern miracle surgery that still left it unsure if he could ever play again. Yes,  the surgeon worked miracles.  Yes Carson fought and worked his way back in therapy.  No, his arm wasn't strong yet in 2009 but we had Benson carrying the load as we went to running more than ever.  So I ask you, HOW MUCH IS PASS PROTECTION FOR OUR QUARTERBACKS WORTH IN 2017   ???

You say just draft a Left Tackle.  Tell me, who is this College Wonder Boy who is going to replace Whitworth his rookie year. I look at the many draft lists. I see some Left Tackles that will have to play Right Tackle in the NFL because they lack Left Tackle skills. I see some Right Tackles. I see no true Left Tackle in this draft on anybodys draft lists in Round One.  Who is this Wonder Boy who is going to come in and protect Andy Dalton and AJ McCarron  ???

I'll throw this at you. Whitworth, Zeitler, Kirkpatrick, LaFell, Burkhead all unsigned at free agent time is not a good thing. I blame Mike Brown and Family and say they are yet again being too cheap to win.  We just lost Jones, Sanu, Hall, Nelson, Andre Smith.  Are we to lose these others also because we are so afraid Mike Brown and Family may have to spend some money ?   Considering the lack of a star Left Tackle in this draft, if anybody gets the Franchise Tag, it HAS to be our Left Tackle Whitworth.  I would hope that does not mean we lose Zeitler and Kirkpatrick leaving that years draft pointless.  I would hope we can keep LaFell and Burkhead.  I would hope Mike Brown and Family do not go so cheap that they lose last years players and this years players in about 12 months time.  If that happens we will be lucky to win 4 games in 2017 and it will be The Brown Family's fault, not the players and coaches.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 05:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I remember this is an unconfirmed rumor until proven otherwise. 

Believe what you want. I heard it on ESPN. Just because you can't google everything it must be false to you.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Go to ESPN.com and read the news on Whitworth. They say he should get $9-10 million per year. So Whit asking $20 million for 2 years would not be out of line. The question is whether the Bengals pay it or not.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 04:41 PM)Benton Wrote: that's not the norm for us though. One of the most substantial knocks on Marvin is drafting guys and then not playing them much until the last year of their deal (if ever). Bodine being such an exception there that it's almost like Marvin stuck him in just to say "See, rookies are horrible. Let me go see if Olin Kreutz wants another shot."

They started him because they were cheap and didn't want to pay a good Center to come here.

I doubt it was Marvin's call.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:46 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Go to ESPN.com and read the news on Whitworth. They say he should get $9-10 million per year. So Whit asking $20 million for 2 years would not be out of line. The question is whether the Bengals pay it or not.

I doubt any other teams offer him that much...so my guess is they get him for $7-8 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah but 99% of teams fall between those 2 extremes. Teams like the Pats, Broncos, Seahawks, etc that have used occasional forays into FA to get them over the hump with key acquisitions that helped them win championships.

(01-10-2017, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well the Broncos signed Payton Manning...so a free agent was directly responsible for them winning a Super Bowl. They also signed Louis Vasquez who is a dominant guard. Demarcus Ware. Aqib Talib.

That's a major part of a Super Bowl Core. Without those guys...they don't win the Super Bowl.

(01-10-2017, 04:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Exactly.  Don't blow your team up and rebuild it every couple years through Free Agency, but bring in those couple missing pieces to get you over the hump... actually go "all in" sometime.  We always hear about "building for the long term", but unfortunately it never seems to come.

Truth, we don't need to go out there and get the biggest names. But at this time we should go get someone to
keep us really competitive. Otherwise we won't be competitive next year. The O-line has to be addressed in FA
especially if we lose Zeitler which seems almost likely.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:37 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Believe what you want. I heard it on ESPN. Just because you can't google everything it must be false to you.

Take what ESPN says with a grain of salt man.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:46 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Go to ESPN.com and read the news on Whitworth. They say he should get $9-10 million per year. So Whit asking $20 million for 2 years would not be out of line. The question is whether the Bengals pay it or not.

Where's the part Whit asked for $20 million?

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/25829/andrew-whitworth-kevin-seitler-lead-bengals-group-of-offensive-fas

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/9641/andrew-whitworth

Quote:With the Cincinnati Bengals' 2016 season over, their focus now turns to putting together their 2017 roster.

Here's a look at the offensive players who could become free agents in March.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth: Whitworth, 35, has spent his entire career with the Bengals and most recently signed a two-year extension worth $9.2 million. Whitworth may be the oldest tackle in the league, but he remains one of the NFL's best pass-blockers.

Because of his age, he would likely get only a one or two year contract but would still command at least an average of $9-10 million, which is now below market for a top left tackle. If the Bengals won't pay it, some other team surely will.

Whitworth said he wants to stay at left tackle. With the state of the Bengals offensive line, he's a must re-sign.
"I don't think any left tackle in the league pass protects better than I do," Whitworth said. "I think I'm right there with all those (top) guys. Are they younger and all those good things? Yeah, but that's really it."

He added" "I'm open to anything and everything. I want to play football."

There is nothing about Whitworth asking for $20 million.  Doesn't mean it isn't true because the reporter misreported his extension details.  It means it is an unconfirmed rumor until proven otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 09:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Where's the part Whit asked for $20 million?

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/25829/andrew-whitworth-kevin-seitler-lead-bengals-group-of-offensive-fas

There is nothing about Whitworth asking for $20 million.  Doesn't mean it isn't true because the reporter misreported his extension details.  It means it is an unconfirmed rumor until proven otherwise.

From what that says 18-20 mil for two years.

Guess someone could take it as 20 mil for two years...

But it is ESPN and Whit might take a touch under 18 mil because of his age.

Reps for finding it.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 09:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: From what that says 18-20 mil for two years.

Guess someone could take it as 20 mil for two years...

But it is ESPN and Whit might take a touch under 18 mil because of his age.

Reps for finding it.  Rock On

That is the reporter speculating what Whit is worth based upon age, ability, and his position.  A reporter's speculation is not the same as Whit asking.  Which is also different than an anonymous message board user claiming Whit is asking for $20 million, but can't tell us if it is one season or two or three.  Twenty million for one season is ridiculous.  Twenty million for two seasons is within reason.  A lot of speculation without any details or a source is an unconfirmed rumor.  Especially considering this is the same guy who wants to trade AJ because he believes "AJ is on the downslide of his career."  Guy is fishing, but I'm not taking the bait.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 09:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Where's the part Whit asked for $20 million?

You cannot admit you are wrong can you? Big deal if it is only rumor. $20 million is in line with his worth. If you want me to declare a source, it was on ESPN the other day. Not everything is in written text on the internet.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:14 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You cannot admit you are wrong can you? Big deal if it is only rumor. $20 million is in line with his worth. If you want me to declare a source, it was on ESPN the other day. Not everything is in written text on the internet.

Uh, ahem, excuse me sir..  I believe it is you that need to be admitting the mistake.  Taking a random statement from some guy on ESPN, who was only opining btw, and claiming it to be what Whitworth wants is totally misleading.  If the statement had actually originated from Whitworth, or even Whit's agent, I could understand the hype.  But, it is just ESPN pushing fake facts, and you being gullible enough to run with it, for whatever reason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That is the reporter speculating what Whit is worth based upon age, ability, and his position.  A reporter's speculation is not the same as Whit asking.  Which is also different than an anonymous message board user claiming Whit is asking for $20 million, but can't tell us if it is one season or two or three.  Twenty million for one season is ridiculous.  Twenty million for two seasons is within reason.  A lot of speculation without any details or a source is an unconfirmed rumor.  Especially considering this is the same guy who wants to trade AJ because he believes "AJ is on the downslide of his career."  Guy is fishing, but I'm not taking the bait.

I see, it is about personal attacks with you. Green should be traded. You watch, we get nothing when his hammy ruins his career.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Uh, ahem, excuse me sir..  I believe it is you that need to be admitting the mistake.  Taking a random statement from some guy on ESPN, who was only opining btw, and claiming it to be what Whitworth wants is totally misleading.  If the statement had actually originated from Whitworth, or even Whit's agent, I could understand the hype.  But, it is just ESPN pushing fake facts, and you being gullible enough to run with it, for whatever reason.

I see, blame the reporter who said Whit is asking for $20 million. How do you know ESPN is pushing fake facts? I guess you were there like the others. I just report what I saw on TV. And stated my source. You can believe it or not.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote