Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is Whit Worth $20 Million?
Welcome to the Bengals Jake Long.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:21 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: It was on ESPN the other day. Not sure of the details. Says he wants $20 million. Might be for 2 years.

Can't find anything. Whit signed a 1 year extension for $9 million last year. I can't believe his agent would ask for 1 yr $20 million. I think the Bengals have to re-sign Whit for $20 million for 2 years because Ogbuehi just isn't ready. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 09:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Do you even want Ced on the bench waiting to come in?

Remember Newhouse? Newhouse plays better than Ced.

We already need a new backup RT to replace Winston.

Newhouse actually started for the Giants a lot of games this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 11:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Newhouse actually started for the Giants a lot of games this year.

And, they went one and done.  Same as when he was with the Bengals...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 11:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Can't find anything. Whit signed a 1 year extension for $9 million last year. I can't believe his agent would ask for 1 yr $20 million. I think the Bengals have to re-sign Whit for $20 million for 2 years because Ogbuehi just isn't ready. 

I agree. Whit isn't asking for much of a raise and we should not let him walk. Another team would pick him up in a second. I checked the draft and no tackle stands out.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Pay the man, and let O-man learn from sidelines and hit weight room, and provide depth.  2 year, 18 million, 12 million guaranteed, team option for 3rd year for $6 million.  I get invited to annual Whit BBQ with team
Reply/Quote
Let's add some perspective. Yes, Andrew Whitworth is the best player on the Bengals' offensive line -- but how good do you have to be to be better than Cedric Ogbuehi, TJ Johnson, Russell Bodine, Jake Fisher, Kevin Zeitler, and Clint Boling?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 08:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Depends on who the rent-a-dude is. Personally, I think there's good players available in FA almost every year. I'd rather spend big bucks on a younger proven tackle than big bucks on a soon to be 36 year old. That kind of loyalty gets the Bengals in trouble all the time. 

I'd take Whit 10/10 times over Ogbuehi though.

Agreed.  This is a big problem, so many Bengals fans have been programmed to believe that anyone who hits Free Agency is trash.  "If he was good, why did his old team let him walk"?  Really good players hit Free Agency every year.  There are salary cap casualties, guys who are looking for a change, there are a myriad of reasons why.

We are also told how it takes so much time for a new guy to learn the system, to get acquainted with the other players.  Look around the league.  Practically every team has guys who come in Free Agency and contribute immediately.  Every year I hear how the Bengals system is so complex that it takes a guy into year two before he really understands it... if that is true, it may be part of the problem.
Reply/Quote
If David DeCastro is somehow worth $10 mill a year, Whitworth is definitely worth that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 11:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Welcome to the Bengals Jake Long.

Those knees, tho  Mellow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:45 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Agreed.  This is a big problem, so many Bengals fans have been programmed to believe that anyone who hits Free Agency is trash.  "If he was good, why did his old team let him walk"?  Really good players hit Free Agency every year.  There are salary cap casualties, guys who are looking for a change, there are a myriad of reasons why.

We are also told how it takes so much time for a new guy to learn the system, to get acquainted with the other players.  Look around the league.  Practically every team has guys who come in Free Agency and contribute immediately.  Every year I hear how the Bengals system is so complex that it takes a guy into year two before he really understands it... if that is true, it may be part of the problem.

Agree. It's almost like many Bengals fans have been conditioned to believe FA is useless, destroys teams, etc. As if we don't have success stories like LaFell, Benson, Clements, Newman, Gilberry, Pacman, etc...and that's with the Bengals shopping from the scrap heap. Imagine if they actually looked for quality on occasion.

As you said, players aren't always FA's because "their old team doesn't want them". Sometimes their old team simply can't afford them. Sometimes they want a change of scenery or a bigger role. Were Marvin Jones, JJoe and Michael Johnson all bad players? Of course not. People need to stop eating up all the Hobson propaganda.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:45 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Agreed.  This is a big problem, so many Bengals fans have been programmed to believe that anyone who hits Free Agency is trash.  "If he was good, why did his old team let him walk"?  Really good players hit Free Agency every year.  There are salary cap casualties, guys who are looking for a change, there are a myriad of reasons why.

there's some truth to it but u can look at a team like the jets who are already over the cap and in the red due to too many fa deals. Then u can look at the packers who never deal in fa and may go to Super Bowl again.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:29 PM)Jpoore Wrote: there's some truth to it but u can look at a team like the jets who are already over the cap and in the red due to too many fa deals. Then u can look at the packers who never deal in fa and may go to Super Bowl again.

That's just it...the Packers do sign free agents.

They signed Charles Woodson. Ryan Pickett. Julius Peppers.  Letroy Guion. Anthony Hargrave. Jeff Saturday.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Is he worth it? Yes.

Do you want Ced trying to block Andy's blindside?

At this point don't even want ced blocking for extra point attempts.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:29 PM)Jpoore Wrote: there's some truth to it but u can look at a team like the jets who are already over the cap and in the red due to too many fa deals. Then u can look at the packers who never deal in fa and may go to Super Bowl again.

And you can look at the Bengals who haven't work a playoff game in 26+ years...Yes...we haven't work a playoff game since modern free agency began in 1992. Correlation?
Reply/Quote

Yeah but 99% of teams fall between those 2 extremes. Teams like the Pats, Broncos, Seahawks, etc that have used occasional forays into FA to get them over the hump with key acquisitions that helped them win championships.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah but 99% of teams fall between those 2 extremes. Teams like the Pats, Broncos, Seahawks, etc that have used occasional forays into FA to get them over the hump with key acquisitions that helped them win championships.

Well the Broncos signed Payton Manning...so a free agent was directly responsible for them winning a Super Bowl. They also signed Louis Vasquez who is a dominant guard. Demarcus Ware. Aqib Talib.

That's a major part of a Super Bowl Core. Without those guys...they don't win the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well the Broncos signed Payton Manning...so a free agent was directly responsible for them winning a Super Bowl. They also signed Louis Vasquez who is a dominant guard. Demarcus Ware. Aqib Talib.

That's a major part of a Super Bowl Core. Without those guys...they don't win the Super Bowl.

The Pats rented their starting CB tandem (Revis and Browner) for their last championship run. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Pats rented their starting CB tandem (Revis and Browner) for their last championship run. 

Other free agents they signed: Antowain Smith, Lafell, Stallworth, Heath Evans, Amendola, David Patten, Brian Waters, Mike Vrabel, Roman Phifer, Rodney Harrison, Seau, Bryan Cox, Colvin, Ninkovich, Buckley, and Revis.

Those are some pretty good players...
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah but 99% of teams fall between those 2 extremes. Teams like the Pats, Broncos, Seahawks, etc that have used occasional forays into FA to get them over the hump with key acquisitions that helped them win championships.

Exactly.  Don't blow your team up and rebuild it every couple years through Free Agency, but bring in those couple missing pieces to get you over the hump... actually go "all in" sometime.  We always hear about "building for the long term", but unfortunately it never seems to come.
Reply/Quote