Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is it time to give Lou some props?
The defense is really coming together this season. This was the third straight strong performance, despite the secondary being down their "money" CB. The DL, LBs, and Safeties have been doing a tremendous job. The entire unit finally seems like they're on the same page.

As for me, I'm going to have to take back some of the negative things and abhorrent thoughts that I've had about Lou Anarumo, over the previous two seasons. What say the rest of you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It had turned a bit of a corner last year late in the year outside of the Ravens game. The additional pieces on the interior along with the health of the unit has really helped for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The defense is really coming together this season.  This was the third straight strong performance, despite the secondary being down their "money" CB.  The DL, LBs, and Safeties have been doing a tremendous job.  The entire unit finally seems like they're on the same page.

As for me, I'm going to have to take back some of the negative things and abhorrent thoughts that I've had about Lou Anarumo, over the previous two seasons.  What say the rest of you?

We've definitely been looking good, especially compared to the last couple of years. But we were so bad the last 2 years it wouldn't take much to be better. That said, so far this year, we've looked like a top defense. 

I'll hold off judgment until later in the season when we play some good teams. Our first 4 games are probably the easiest stretch of games we have on the schedule so I'm not sure how much we really know yet. 
Reply/Quote
Still early in the year, but if this keeps up, then yeah...we'll have to adjust some of the narratives around Lou. Defense has been great. We did dump a ton of money into it, but the coach has to make it work. A bad coach would ruin good talent.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It’s time. It’s not like the success is only because the players are making insane individual plays. The plays themselves are great plays. He’s blitzing at the correct time and he’s using the safeties to PERFECTION. Do we even have one deep ball against us in 3 games? I cannot remember but if i can’t remember that must mean it’s not happening a lot. Awuzie has been AMAZING. Hilton has been great. Logan Wilson is playing like a ballhawk. The only weak spot on then D has been Apple. I cannot believe we have so many FA signings actually contributing.

Hubbard, Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, and Hendrickson are having great years all at once. I almost wanna discredit Lou and say ANY DC would be succeeding here but i won’t.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I'll tip my hat for the turnaround in D thus far. I was in the camp that didn't think he could do it.
Reply/Quote
Yea, Lou is definitely showing he can call defense well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Through 3 games...they're allowing just 317 total yards, 78 rushing yards and 18 points per game. 
Reply/Quote
Sure.  Here's three for him:
[Image: s-l300.jpg]

[Image: 7bcc78406a9c20dddcde613f21117bca.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
They are doing very well, most of the tackles are first man too.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll tip my hat for the turnaround in D thus far. I was in the camp that didn't think he could do it.

This ^^^

And if we can get Waynes on the field and Apple off the field they could be lights out...
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Through 3 games...they're allowing just 317 total yards, 78 rushing yards and 18 points per game. 

Really it's 15.5 points per game because 7 in the Bears game were from a pick 6.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
Any fan who says our defense has not played great has to have said Lou should go and something dumb ike he will never be a good coach. The Vikes with Cook are a great offense. In 3 games, we have shut down the running backs.

Hats off t Lou and the defense.

As for those who like to rap on Apple, he is back uo CB and our defense made Ben throw over 50 times, almost 60 to only get 318 yards. That is impressive on the road.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Always believed. Anyone can see he did good with what he had the last 2 years. No matter who was the D coordinator last year, still need the players to get it done. But he shut Lemar down last year.

Never got the Lou hate but I let the haters tall away and let the defense show for itself. And to those still not bought in, stay tuned. You gonna learn today!
Reply/Quote
I’m happy with how the D is performing but again they will get a real test against the ravens. By week 8 we will know how good the D is
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna have to see it against a good team first, but so far so good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The defense is really coming together this season.  This was the third straight strong performance, despite the secondary being down their "money" CB.  The DL, LBs, and Safeties have been doing a tremendous job.  The entire unit finally seems like they're on the same page.

As for me, I'm going to have to take back some of the negative things and abhorrent thoughts that I've had about Lou Anarumo, over the previous two seasons.  What say the rest of you?

I pretty much feel the same way. Ive been critical of Lou in the past but he did show some flashes last year. This year is a different story. He seems to know the kind of guys that fit what he wants, and they are doing a fine job of making it translate. Really liking what I'm seeing from the D this year. Hats off to Lou for sure. 
Reply/Quote

He absolutely deserves it.  This team needed to be solid against the run to win in the AFC North, and right now they are showing to be VERY TOUGH against the run.

The guys he has brought in have the energy and are relentless in their pursuit.  Effort matters, Dunlap.  

I am very excited at how the defense has gelled and played very well against solid talent.  The Vikes put a beating on the Seahawks today, and did it without Dalvin Cook.
Reply/Quote
I have always had mixed feelings about Lou. I think he is a good coach (Xs and Os) when his players are healthy ( look at the end of 19 and the start of last season) but I'm still bothered by what happened with Dunlap last season.

All that being said the unit looks like it is playing as 1 right now and we look like a playoff caliber team right now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Lou Anarumo didn’t do too well with “Marvin and Teryl’s guys” but with the players he wanted he’s constructing a very good defense. He could have (1) changed his scheme to fit the existing roster or (2) altered the roster to fit his scheme. I’m glad Lou picked (2) because the defense is tightening up. Let’s see what he dials up against Trevor Lawrence.
Reply/Quote