Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the John Ross Experiment near its end
I hope he's done. A lot of people talk about without him we can't stretch the field and no one defender will worry about a long ball. I disagree with that because he really is a non-threat anyway, the guy can't catch and just seems like he's not in the game mentally at all. Point in case, last game when everyone else is hurrying back to the line at end of the game he is just jogging lightly. It was garbage time and we were most likely weren't going to win but it just that attitude, he's always had that, he just doesn't try. As a pro making millions you shouldn't have the perception and record of not giving 100% all the time. Hopefully we can trade him and get a 5th round or better (doubtful) but just give me Tate at this point, at least he'll work his ass off.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:11 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I hope he's done. A lot of people talk about without him we can't stretch the field and no one defender will worry about a long ball. I disagree with that because he really is a non-threat anyway, the guy can't catch and just seems like he's not in the game mentally at all. Point in case, last game when everyone else is hurrying back to the line at end of the game he is just jogging lightly. It was garbage time and we were most likely weren't going to win but it just that attitude, he's always had that, he just doesn't try. As a pro making millions you shouldn't have the perception and record of not giving 100% all the time. Hopefully we can trade him and get a 5th round or better (doubtful) but just give me Tate at this point, at least he'll work his ass off.

Yep that jog said it all for me. I thought burrow might have an impact on his psyche. He clearly hasn’t, which indicates he is beyond repair. See ya Ross!
Reply/Quote
Since they didn't pick up his option, yes the experiment is near its end.

He will not be a Bengal in 2021.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 07:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: In two games, Ross has 2 catches for 17 yards.. I believe he is in the top 2 of most plays at WR..   How much longer do we play a guy who continues to not perform and disappear in games. I think if he does not show something by game 5, we start players other WRs more.

Thoughts?

My personal opinion is that they should start giving Mike Thomas the majority of the #3 WR snaps.  He has deep speed and at least on the surface has outplayed Ross the first two weeks of the season.

The actual answer is a lot more complex.  Being fair to Ross, he was open for a deep TD against LA and Burrow just overthrew him.  He was also running wide open along the end line on the ill fated AJ Green opi call.  Fans put a guy in their doghouse and try to rationalize how everything bad that happens around them is their fault, often because they're pushing an agenda that someone else should play and/or trying to deflect criticism from another player.  Fans get into their minds that a starter is terrible and any scrub is an upgrade.  That proves to be bs 9 times out of 10, but they do it anyway.  A good coach looks at the film dispassionately and assigns blame appropriately.  They also look at what the player does every snap, not just the snaps the ball comes to him.  They look at practice and meetings, which we don't have access to.  There can be a ton of reasons we don't see as to why one WR plays over another.  With Ross, he's been the #3 through two different HC's and OC's, so there's obviously something there the coaches see that his detractors don't.  
Reply/Quote
I think Ross doesn't really care, at least in the way he plays. He is just going through the motion. I think mentally, he is unfit for the NFL at least on this team. Two different coaching staff, no real progress. I cringe whenever he touches the ball, which is not often...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Trade JR for a ******' Hot Pocket at this point. Put Tate in so his misfiring agent doesn't bust a load all over his Men's Wearhouse slacks, thinking anybody other than Cincinnati wants Auden Tate.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 03:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: My personal opinion is that they should start giving Mike Thomas the majority of the #3 WR snaps.  He has deep speed and at least on the surface has outplayed Ross the first two weeks of the season.

The actual answer is a lot more complex.  Being fair to Ross, he was open for a deep TD against LA and Burrow just overthrew him.  He was also running wide open along the end line on the ill fated AJ Green opi call.  Fans put a guy in their doghouse and try to rationalize how everything bad that happens around them is their fault, often because they're pushing an agenda that someone else should play and/or trying to deflect criticism from another player.  Fans get into their minds that a starter is terrible and any scrub is an upgrade.  That proves to be bs 9 times out of 10, but they do it anyway.  A good coach looks at the film dispassionately and assigns blame appropriately.  They also look at what the player does every snap, not just the snaps the ball comes to him.  They look at practice and meetings, which we don't have access to.  There can be a ton of reasons we don't see as to why one WR plays over another.  With Ross, he's been the #3 through two different HC's and OC's, so there's obviously something there the coaches see that his detractors don't.  

Could it be the draft capital that was spent on him?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 03:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: My personal opinion is that they should start giving Mike Thomas the majority of the #3 WR snaps.  He has deep speed and at least on the surface has outplayed Ross the first two weeks of the season.

I wouldn't call it an overthrow. Ross got his hands on the ball. Ross just isn't very good.
Reply/Quote
Ross has had many chances to not be crappy John Ross and he just can't seem to make it happen. Change the people or change the people, as the saying goes. Since John Ross is unable to change himself, it's time the Bengals change him out for a different guy.

BTW, I think Burrow is showing himself to be able to work with ANY WR in general. He floats boats, so to speak, and raises everyone's tide and NOT the other way around. Put Higgins, Tate, & Thomas in there and I don't think it matters.

This leads me to want to look into the scheme ZT is running. This is the 2nd year in a row that WRs aren't getting major separation, screens not working, etc and it's hard for me to keep blaming ALL of the WRs ALL the time, especially with the new ones that were added.
Reply/Quote
Ross has not been in a better situation in his entire time in cincy and still he is producing nothing. He is done here, total bust. Would trade him for any generic OL prospect I could get. Almost any other WR should be on the field instead of Ross. Ross has a ton of potential. Potential is what people call it, when there are expectations of your abilities or talents and you have an inability to apply any of those.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 08:34 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I blame the coaches. Auden Tate should be eating John Ross’ snaps. Foe those that would tell me the two are nothing alike, I agree. Currently as the offense stands Burrow has no time for deep balls, so it would stand to reason to play the bigger bodied Tate who can make shorter contested catches as he will not be going downfield anyway.

I blame the coaches, too, but for a different reason.  Why is Ross not running end-arounds, screens, slants, and try to get the guy in space?  We FINALLY did that with Mixon on some pass attempts:  4 receptions for 40 yards on 4 targets.  I will take that all day.  Sadly, that might have been Mixon's best day in his career as a receiver.  Like Mixon, Ross can only make plays when he is targeted and they should absolutely be finding ways to get him involved.  

It already makes me want to vomit, but I can 100% see a scenario where Ross signs with the steelers and we see him used in that way and he excels.  It would be the perfect middle finger from the steelers and they have always been so good at that.  
Reply/Quote
Hopefully so. Limited hands. Limited catch range. Zero high point skills. Poor ball security. He's fast though.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 10:12 AM)P W Wrote: Ross has not been in a better situation in his entire time in cincy and still he is producing nothing. He is done here, total bust. Would trade him for any generic OL prospect I could get. Almost any other WR should be on the field instead of Ross. Ross has a ton of potential. Potential is what people call it, when there are expectations of your abilities or talents and you have an inability to apply any of those.

Yep

I'm done with the excuse making for Ross. Yes the guy is fast but that's the one and only box he checks. End it NOW
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 12:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I'm done with the excuse making for Ross. Yes the guy is fast but that's the one and only box he checks. End it NOW

Send Ross to the Reds. He can be a pinch runner.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 12:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Send Ross to the Reds.  He can be a pinch runner.

That might be an option ? He's probably miss 2nd base on the slide though.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 09:08 PM)Tony Wrote: Anything.. Bubble screens,  Jet sweeps. Get him involved...Watch hes gonna go somewhere like New England and Kill it..

Players to cut,

1. John Ross,dude is awlful,he simply cannot catch in traffic.Drops everything,I seriously believe he is scared of getting hit.CUT HIM OR TRADE HIM.

2.I list Johan Williams simply not to cut him,but sit him down,he got manhandle all game, and he allow a bed sack of Burrow.He could not block much of anyone.He is too small and fragile to battle the big nasty NFL. He is another problem. Iam telling everyone,this guy got beat ALL GAME.

3.Number 74 cost us the game,he got beat badly by miles garrett on the goal line and cost a sack,strip of Burrow and that was the game.He is a big nothing dude and moves his feet worse than my old grandma,who is 84. He is awlful and he got beat all game and allowed burrow to get sacked and rushed out of pocket all game.WE NEED OLINEMEN.This team is going NOWHERE BUT DOWN.And they are going to put the QB ON IR.BELIEVE THIS.
Reply/Quote
Stupid coaching doesn't know how to use him or Gio.

It's kind of like asking Mixon to run outside (he does it on his own merit). not every player is built for everything (they ask Ross to catch long balls, that's basically AJ's duty, Ross will fail).

For being one of if not the fastest guy in the NFL, we only see it on long balls, which is hilarious when considering Mahomes averages the least yards per catch (without YAC). He also averages one of the lowest attempted yards per catch. Ross goes to someone like KC and he's scoring 10 TDs in a season.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 12:34 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Players to cut,

1. John Ross,dude is awlful,he simply cannot catch in traffic.Drops everything,I seriously believe he is scared of getting hit.CUT HIM OR TRADE HIM.

2.I list Johan Williams simply not to cut him,but sit him down,he got manhandle all game, and he allow a bed sack of Burrow.He could not block much of anyone.He is too small and fragile to battle the big nasty NFL. He is another problem. Iam telling everyone,this guy got beat ALL GAME.

3.Number 74 cost us the game,he got beat badly by miles garrett on the goal line and cost a sack,strip of Burrow and that was the game.He is a big nothing dude and moves his feet worse than my old grandma,who is 84. He is awlful and he got beat all game and allowed burrow to get sacked and rushed out of pocket all game.WE NEED OLINEMEN.This team is going NOWHERE BUT DOWN.And they are going to put the QB ON IR.BELIEVE THIS.

Sorry fortyyearfan. You’ve been cut. You can’t follow your assignments. This is a Ross thread.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 12:36 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Stupid coaching doesn't know how to use him or Gio.

It's kind of like asking Mixon to run outside (he does it on his own merit). not every player is built for everything (they ask Ross to catch long balls, that's basically AJ's duty, Ross will fail).

For being one of if not the fastest guy in the NFL, we only see it on long balls, which is hilarious when considering Mahomes averages the least yards per catch (without YAC). He also averages one of the lowest attempted yards per catch. Ross goes to someone like KC and he's scoring 10 TDs in a season.

On most any well-coached team Ross, Bernard, and Mixon would become star players.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 09:08 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Ross has had many chances to not be crappy John Ross and he just can't seem to make it happen. Change the people or change the people, as the saying goes. Since John Ross is unable to change himself, it's time the Bengals change him out for a different guy.

BTW, I think Burrow is showing himself to be able to work with ANY WR in general. He floats boats, so to speak, and raises everyone's tide and NOT the other way around. Put Higgins, Tate, & Thomas in there and I don't think it matters.

This leads me to want to look into the scheme ZT is running. This is the 2nd year in a row that WRs aren't getting major separation, screens not working, etc and it's hard for me to keep blaming ALL of the WRs ALL the time, especially with the new ones that were added.

He's sinking old man AJ's boat. MInimal trade value for him now.
Reply/Quote