Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the John Ross Experiment near its end
(09-20-2020, 08:26 AM)jason Wrote: Could it be the draft capital that was spent on him?

I'm not sure if this directed at the doghouse part or the reason he's still playing, so I guess I'll address both.

He's been a disappointment based on where he was drafted, no question.  So is Price, but people are stumping for him to return to the starting line-up even now.  A lot of that comes down to the fact that Ross wasn't a popular pick to begin with.  Most people didn't want a WR with that pick and most people were screaming for them to draft a C when Price was taken.  A lot of people pull for Price and vilify Ross to try and vindicate their own takes.  

The current staff has shown no evidence of playing guys based on draft position.  Price would be exhibit A of that.  If guys behind Ross prove that they're better and can have a greater impact on offense, they'll get a chance to play.  People have greatly overestimated the amount of WR talent behind Ross, though.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 09:00 AM)treee Wrote: I wouldn't call it an overthrow. Ross got his hands on the ball. Ross just isn't very good.

Replay showed the ball was just out in front of his fingertips.  The announcers changed their tune and called it an overthrow after seeing the replay.  Burrow admitted he overthrew him.  Taylor said it was an overthrow.  
Reply/Quote
Would not be surprised if Ross is.made inactive the next game and
Tate is active. Thomas has moved up to that 4th WR spot I think
Based on prodiction
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That might be an option ? He's probably miss 2nd base on the slide though.  Hilarious

Or injure himself.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 01:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: Replay showed the ball was just out in front of his fingertips.  The announcers changed their tune and called it an overthrow after seeing the replay.  Burrow admitted he overthrew him.  Taylor said it was an overthrow.  

It was a catchable ball if he lays out for it. Period. Ross showed minimal effort. As usual.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 01:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was a catchable ball if he lays out for it. Period. Ross showed minimal effort. As usual.

He couldn't have gotten down in bounds if he drove for it.  He made the only play he could have that gave him a realistic chance to complete the catch.  It was just slightly overthrown.  You see numerous instances where AJ and others don't lay out for overthrows, but nobody questions their effort.  
Reply/Quote
Ross doesn't fit this offense.

We run a west coast offense with 4 and 5 wide sets. That system calls for precise route runners who can find the space, catch the ball in tight windows and who can make yards after the catch.
Ross is not a good route runner. He is not good catching in traffic. He is not an effort player (he gives up on way too many plays) and he does not even have particularly good hands.

His one big thing is amazing straight line speed and our Oline just does not allow for many deep passes to develop.

Tate would be exponentially more valuable to this offense for his ability to catch in traffic and make tight window catches.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 02:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: He couldn't have gotten down in bounds if he drove for it.  He made the only play he could have that gave him a realistic chance to complete the catch.  It was just slightly overthrown.  You see numerous instances where AJ and others don't lay out for overthrows, but nobody questions their effort.  

You know who does lay out for balls? Auden Tate.

[Image: 1175595245.jpeg]

[Image: cincinnati-bengals-v-los-angeles-rams-nf...53922l.jpg]

[Image: Ds4JI_zXgAIX7G_.jpg]

John Ross pretty much needs the ball dropped right in the bucket to make the catch.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 07:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: In two games, Ross has 2 catches for 17 yards.. I believe he is in the top 2 of most plays at WR..   How much longer do we play a guy who continues to not perform and disappear in games. I think if he does not show something by game 5, we start players other WRs more.

Thoughts?

My first thought is...can we stop calling it an experiment?  Whose weird ass idea is that anyway? 

This coaching staff inherited him.  The cap hit made cutting him prohibitive.  He's not trade bait.  So, what does that leave?  Trying to make it work, trying to make lemonade out of lemons.   It's really not more complicated than that.

And just think--if he wasn't here any more, what would take the place of the weekly thread or two or ten about him.  A lot of folks around here depend on him as a topic of complaint.  Why deny them that pleasure?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 03:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You know who does lay out for balls? Auden Tate.

[Image: 1175595245.jpeg]

[Image: cincinnati-bengals-v-los-angeles-rams-nf...53922l.jpg]

[Image: Ds4JI_zXgAIX7G_.jpg]

John Ross pretty much needs the ball dropped right in the bucket to make the catch.

Too bad the OL would have to pass protect an extra half a second in order to throw a route like that to Tate, not that he could actually get open enough on it for Joe to throw it to him if by some miracle the line didn't collapse.

Seriously, people complain about the OL sucking and Burrow getting killed and their grand solution is put one of the slowest WR's in the league out there and force them to maintain their blocks even longer.  Because logic...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Too bad the OL would have to pass protect an extra half a second in order to throw a route like that to Tate, not that he could actually get open enough on it for Joe to throw it to him if by some miracle the line didn't collapse.

Seriously, people complain about the OL sucking and Burrow getting killed and their grand solution is put one of the slowest WR's in the league out there and force them to maintain their blocks even longer.  Because logic...

You’re not getting it. Look at those pics...Tate is open even when he’s not. Like Lap said it’s more “80/20” balls with him.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 01:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: Replay showed the ball was just out in front of his fingertips.  The announcers changed their tune and called it an overthrow after seeing the replay.  Burrow admitted he overthrew him.  Taylor said it was an overthrow.  

It was definitely an overthrow. I don't know that AJ, in his prime, could have made that catch in bounds.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Too bad the OL would have to pass protect an extra half a second in order to throw a route like that to Tate, not that he could actually get open enough on it for Joe to throw it to him if by some miracle the line didn't collapse.

Because you keep overstating his lack of speed when it's not something that makes that big of an effect. 

A 20 yd route means he gets there 1/10th of a second slower than the average WR. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It was definitely an overthrow. I don't know that AJ, in his prime, could have made that catch in bounds.

Does anyone actually have the replay? I only saw it live and the one replay, but from what I can remember it was absolutely not as cut and dry as some of you are making it sound. Like he might not of been able to stay in, but “impossible?” I don’t think so. I know AU165 said he watched it a few times and he thought there was at least a chance Ross could have caught it inbounds.

Reply/Quote

People were super mad that Ross didn't lay out for the ball but I don't recall hearing a peep when AJ Green literally did the same thing Thursday night.

Ross needs to be more productive, but people are quick to put the blame on Ross for things when they don't do the same for other receivers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Had a worse oline when these photos were taken. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does anyone actually have the replay? I only saw it live and the one replay, but from what I can remember it was absolutely not as cut and dry as some of you are making it sound. Like he might not of been able to stay in, but “impossible?” I don’t think so. I know AU165 said he watched it a few times and he thought there was at least a chance Ross could have caught it inbounds.

I can try to find it.

With that said, even if Ross did have a slight chance to catch it, he would have had to lay out and could have risked injury.
Given he's in a contract year and has had multiple injuries the past few years (including big injury last year from an awkward landing), perhaps he doesn't want to be overly risky.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: People were super mad that Ross didn't lay out for the ball but I don't recall hearing a peep when AJ Green literally did the same thing Thursday night.

Ross needs to be more productive, but people are quick to put the blame on Ross for things when they don't do the same for other receivers.

Umm...people have been criticizing AJ for the last week. You guys are only seeing what you want to see.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Umm...people have been criticizing AJ for the last week. You guys are only seeing what you want to see.

Have they? I wouldn't say it's "what I want to see," but it might be that I haven't read every single post of every single thread.

EDIT - I mean specifically the lack of diving for a ball that's just out of normal reach, the same thing people have been super-critical of Ross over. I've seen criticism of AJ, but not for avoiding diving for balls in the end zone.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:09 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Had a worse oline when these photos were taken. 

Look at the CB’s he was beating too. The one pic was against Ward, who pretty much dominated us Thursday night.

Reply/Quote