Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the John Ross Experiment near its end
(09-20-2020, 05:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can try to find it.

With that said, even if Ross did have a slight chance to catch it, he would have had to lay out and could have risked injury.
Given he's in a contract year and has had multiple injuries the past few years (including big injury last year from an awkward landing), perhaps he doesn't want to be overly risky.

And you don’t see a huge problem here? He’s not earning a contract making 0 plays either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
TD was one people can argue about, but he missed yet another target. He just has not proven to be one of the top 4 receivers on the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And you don’t see a huge problem here? He’s not earning a contract making 0 plays either.

It depends.

If he gets hurt, he could be out for many games, which greatly impacts his ability to produce.

For example....
John Ross lays out for the catch for the TD, but it busts up his shoulder or elbow and now he's out for 4-8 games.
That's 4-8 games in which he could have put up the same yardage or more than the TD that he would have scored.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bench Ross for Higgins. Make Tate #4 in rotation.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Bench Ross for Higgins. Make Tate #4 in rotation.

Yes
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re not getting it. Look at those pics...Tate is open even when he’s not. Like Lap said it’s more “80/20” balls with him.

Then why did he only catch 50% of his targets last year?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Bench Ross for Higgins. Make Tate #4 in rotation.

100% agree with this.

We need to be building for next season.  Tee Higgins may very well be our "#1" next year.  The more reps he gets the better.  And he should be plenty capable.  There's a reason he was the #33rd pick.

I'd actually like to see Boyd and Higgins with the most reps, with AJ still being completely relevent, but just getting the breathers he's been getting.

Then I'd like to see Tate mixed in a bit, equal to Thomas.  Ross should slide down the depth chart, used only in 4 or and 5 wide, or situationally from time to time.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because you keep overstating his lack of speed when it's not something that makes that big of an effect. 

A 20 yd route means he gets there 1/10th of a second slower than the average WR. 

That was like a 40 yard route, iirc. The difference between a guy who runs a 4.22 40 and a guy that runs a 4.68 40 is .46 seconds, or about half a second.

If speed doesn't make that big of an effect, then why do draftees see their stock rise and fall based on what they run?  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Then why did he only catch 50% of his targets last year?

I guess you didn't see all those passes Dalton threw way off target, behind him, way over his head ? I guess you didn't see Finley hitting him in the ankle ?

Boyd's catch % dropped 10% from 2018 to 2019.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:00 PM)Whatever Wrote: That was like a 40 yard route, iirc. The difference between a guy who runs a 4.22 40 and a guy that runs a 4.68 40 is .46 seconds, or about half a second.

If speed doesn't make that big of an effect, then why do draftees see their stock rise and fall based on what they run?  

I said the average WR. How many other WRs have run a 4.22?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does anyone actually have the replay? I only saw it live and the one replay, but from what I can remember it was absolutely not as cut and dry as some of you are making it sound. Like he might not of been able to stay in, but “impossible?” I don’t think so. I know AU165 said he watched it a few times and he thought there was at least a chance Ross could have caught it inbounds.

I went back on GamePass and watched it over and over, frame by frame. There was no chance. That's why i brought AJ into it. With that kind of length, maybe...maybe there's a chance but it would be an all timer. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I went back on GamePass and watched it over and over, frame by frame. There was no chance. That's why i brought AJ into it. With that kind of length, maybe...maybe there's a chance but it would be an all timer. 

It hits him right on the fingers but not in the hands it would have been a extremely difficult catch. As for laying out for it he likely wouldnt have caught it because Ross was running full speed and you actually slow up slightly before laying out. If he was 6'2 to 6'4 maybe but I dont think laying out was an option really.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does anyone actually have the replay? I only saw it live and the one replay, but from what I can remember it was absolutely not as cut and dry as some of you are making it sound. Like he might not of been able to stay in, but “impossible?” I don’t think so. I know AU165 said he watched it a few times and he thought there was at least a chance Ross could have caught it inbounds.

(09-20-2020, 06:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I went back on GamePass and watched it over and over, frame by frame. There was no chance. That's why i brought AJ into it. With that kind of length, maybe...maybe there's a chance but it would be an all timer. 

Weelllllllll, slap my face and call me Betty. The All 22 gives a much better angle than the game tape...

[Image: ross-alligator.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'm all for Tee Higgins and to a lesser extent Mike Thomas getting more snaps over Ross so they can continue to build connection with Burrow. Higgins is likely to be one of Burrows primary targets for the next few years and Thomas is showing he deserves a roster spot. Ross is probably done in Cincy after this season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

(09-20-2020, 06:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Weelllllllll, slap my face and call me Betty. The All 22 gives a much better angle than the game tape...

Hmmm. That wasn't a very good picture.
Here's one from behind Burrow.

[Image: ross-alligator2.jpg]

Safe to say he was moving pretty fast and i still, based on this and previous viewing full speed, don't think he could have caught it.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Weelllllllll, slap my face and call me Betty. The All 22 gives a much better angle than the game tape...

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hmmm. That wasn't a very good picture.
Here's one from behind Burrow.

[Image: ross-alligator2.jpg]

Safe to say he was moving pretty fast and i still, based on this and previous viewing full speed, don't think he could have caught it.

Would have been close though. That’s the point...

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Would have been close though. That’s the point...

Yeah. I agree that he could have laid out for it. 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 07:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. I agree that he could have laid out for it. 

If you think about the possible physics of it, if he lays out, what are the chances his feet land in bounds?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 08:08 PM)McC Wrote: If you think about the possible physics of it, if he lays out, what are the chances his feet land in bounds?

I've posted that it would be slim to none and i stick by that. 

It's just the optics where Ross is concerned. 

Reply/Quote