Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Daltons "Brady /Beldsoe" moment?
(10-12-2020, 06:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a simple question, but it was not what we were discussing.

We were talking about which player had a greater impact on winning games.  And it is clear that the Bengals could win without Green having a good day, but they could not when Dalton had a passer rating under 90.

Dalton carried the Bengals.  Green did not.

How’d we have 5 straight winning seasons then with Dalton only having a rating over 90 once?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Jerry Jones is Mike Brown west.

And I wish Dalton all the luck in the world ! Hope he tears it up.

Just with a much nicer stadium.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How’d we have 5 straight winning seasons then with Dalton only having a rating over 90 once?

it's funny because Dalton had a 91 qb rating in 2016, but they didnt make the playoffs that year

but to answer your question, I think it was because when he played bad, it was BAD. So if he logs 3 games all with lower 90 qb ratings, then his 4th one he puts up a 30 qb rating, the overall qb rating becomes a mid-high 80
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:13 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: If they have to rely on Andy to win the game, they will be disappointed.  Just as we were in Cincinnati. He cannot carry the team with his arm. 

Good thing they have Zeke, Amari, Lamb, and Gallup... This isn't an individual sport.

And Dalton isn't a Bengal... Enough!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty small sample size no? AJ was obviously pivotal in our 11-15 success. To say Andy “carried the offense” is patently false. Many would argue it was the other way around.

I'd argue that we had a much better roster and staff from top to bottom back then... Nobody carried the team. I'd also argue that Andy Dalton doesn't play for the Bengals anymore.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:55 PM)jason Wrote: I'd argue that we had a much better roster and staff from top to bottom back then... Nobody carried the team. I'd also argue that Andy Dalton doesn't play for the Bengals anymore.

Facts

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:52 PM)jason Wrote: Good thing they have Zeke, Amari, Lamb, and Gallup... This isn't an individual sport.

And Dalton isn't a Bengal... Enough!!!

Just don’t suggest this doesn’t belong in JN. Don’t want to get your head bit off...

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:55 PM)jason Wrote: I'd argue that we had a much better roster and staff from top to bottom back then... Nobody carried the team. I'd also argue that Andy Dalton doesn't play for the Bengals anymore.

For sure  Joe
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 07:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure  Joe

I mean... I wish him well, but c'mon.

Go get em Ginger Tarzan!!!

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton be like:

“The lord giveth and the lord taketh away (sorry Dak not sorry)”
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Trade AJ to Dallas.  Problem solved!

I'm good with that.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Horrible call to go for it on fourth down last night.

The announcers kept saying that it was the correct call based on analytics, but there is no way in Hell that a team up by 8 has the exact same chance of winning a game as a team up by just 5.  If they had been attempting a 50+ yard FG that could have easily been missed and given Seattle the ball on the 40 I could see the logic.  But they were inside  the 10 and a FG makes it impossible to lose in overtime and not only forces the opponent to score a td but also get the 2 point conversion to force overtime.

Their math had to be off someway.

I agree. One thing that is overlooked is when they scored to make it 21-19 In the 3Q they went for 2 and didn’t get it. At the time I disagreed with that as well. I said at the time kick the xp to make it 21-20. There was still 3:44 left to play in the third quarter. Had they kicked that xp it would have been 27-21 later when the 4th and inches decision came up. At that point no doubt they kick the FG to go up 9. They win the game. As a coach I have alway tended to be conservative sometime to a fault. But I have seen that 1 point change things in a big way later many times as it did for the Vikings. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How’d we have 5 straight winning seasons then with Dalton only having a rating over 90 once?

You have to look at individual games to determine why we won.  You don't have to have a 90 rating in every game to have a 90 rating for a season.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe not Brady, but this could definitely be a "Jim Plunkett" story.

Plunkett had been a starter for 7 seasons and never even made the playoff when he signed as a back up for the Raiders.  In 1980 Oaklands starting QB was former Pro-Bowler Dan Pastorini who had won multiple postseason games with the Oilers, but he struggled early in the season and the Raiders were only 2-3 after he got knocked out of the 5th game of the season. Plunkett stepped in and went 13-2 as a starter to lead the Raiders to a Super Bowl championship.   He played out of his mind in the AFC Championship and Super Bowl going a combined 27-39 for 522 yards, 5 tds and zero interceptions plus running for a 6th td.

The Plunkett comparison is a good pull, spot on. I don't see it ending that way for Dalton, at least this year. It's hard enough to win a Super Bowl in the first place and with that defense it seems especially unlikely.

Could be interpreted as a Brady/Bill B situation but instead it's Dalton/Bengals. Was it the system/organization holding him back or the other way around type thing.
Reply/Quote
As a Ravens fan, I never viewed Andy Dalton as a bad player. At least against us he played as well as most other QBs. Our system didn't confuse him, he didn't play scared and he made plays to win games. We've always invested in our DBs but Dalton & AJ gave us fits. He also kept us out of the playoffs with Boyd.

I don't follow the Bengals like you guys but I don't think Dalton's the type of QB who makes or breaks a franchise. He's not one of the handful of guys who can carry a team but he's not a franchise killer either. He relies on the front office, coaches and teammates heavily like most QBs. I think QBs are just polarizing in general. Went through it with Flacco and this year has been the Dak, Brady & Wentz drama show. I wish Dalton well.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just with a much nicer stadium.

And 15 playoff wins and 3 Lombardis.
Reply/Quote
Dalton. Lol

What a loser
Reply/Quote
Murray’s accuracy looks terrible tonight. Missed 2-3 wide open guys already.

Reply/Quote
Ezekiel "butterfingers" Elliott - 2 fumbles both cashed for TDs.
Reply/Quote
Dalton probably wondering when the Bengals line joined him in Dallas.
Reply/Quote