LB 81
S 21
CB 88
K 21
P 88
ST 81
Coach 81
My opinion

That 2005 team was awesome IMO. Also 2013 was good but not as good as 05. I am not old enough to remember the late 80s Bengal teams. I’m sure they were even better.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 11:48 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: QB 81
RB 88
OL 81
TE 81
WR 21
DL 88
LB 81
S 21
CB 88
K 21
P 88
ST 81
Coach 81
My opinion

Are you saying that Anderson is better than Burrow?

Come on now...

And not only did '81 have better corners, our best team CB-wise was probably 2014.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:00 PM)packerbacker Wrote: That 2005 team was awesome IMO. Also 2013 was good but not as good as 05. I am not old enough to remember the late 80s Bengal teams. I’m sure they were even better.

Im only rating 3 Superbowl teams. Obviously prime Geno makes all time Bengal team
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Are you saying that Anderson is better than Burrow?

Come on now...

And not only did '81 have better corners, our best team CB-wise was probably 2014.

All 3 were MVP type seasons for their era. 88 edges 81 in secondary for overall quality of depth
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:04 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: All 3 were MVP type seasons for their era. 88 edges 81 in secondary for overall quality of depth

Not arguing Ss, I'm arguing CBs Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Remains to be seen. I have a strong feeling that it is the best Bengals team though. Lombardi will cement that.
Reply/Quote
If they win in LA on Feb 12 you'll have your answer. If they lose we can debate it, but I'd rather save the time and energy and just win the whole f^&*in' thing
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Are you saying that Anderson is better than Burrow?

Come on now...

Ken Riley and Lamar Perrish? Those guys were killer.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Comparing QB's or really any position from 2021 to 1981 is kind of a fool's errand. The sport of football is completely different now than it was then.

If you stuck Kenny Anderson in his prime on this roster, he would probably suck tbh. Nothing against him, he was one of the best of his era, it's just evolution. The rules are different, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now because training and nutrition have evolved too. The way defense is played has adapted to fit the new rules and offensive schemes, too.

If we are adjusting for era - I'd probably still lean towards 2021 but honestly I was 6 years old in 1981 so I can't claim to be an expert on that team.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:51 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Comparing QB's or really any position from 2021 to 1981 is kind of a fool's errand. The sport of football is completely different now than it was then.

If you stuck Kenny Anderson in his prime on this roster, he would probably suck tbh. Nothing against him, he was one of the best of his era, it's just evolution.  The rules are different, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now because training and nutrition have evolved too.  The way defense is played has adapted to fit the new rules and offensive schemes, too.  

If we are adjusting for era - I'd probably still lean towards 2021 but honestly I was 6 years old in 1981 so I can't claim to be an expert on that team.

Right on !

There's to many differences to list. But to name a couple a big Olineman in 81 was like 245 lbs. They actually let the defense play in 81. You could go on and on.

But I'll wait until after next weekend to answer.
Reply/Quote
This poll is premature :) If we're only comparing SB teams then it has to wait to see how we fare in the actual SB
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
No team with Andy Dalton is in my running sorry. I just can’t do it.

The 2004-2005 team has got to be in there because I’m pretty sure they would’ve won at least up until the AFC championship that year.

Wasn’t alive for the 80s teams but they made the bowl so you gotta consider them

My personal pick is this years team. The D gets stops and the O scratches and scores enough to win
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right on !

There's to many differences to list. But to name a couple a big Olineman in 81 was like 245 lbs. They actually let the defense play in 81. You could go on and on.

But I'll wait until after next weekend to answer.

Defenses could hold outside of 5 yards in that era, this is why so many ppl list Jerry Rice as the GOAT WR. He was getting those stats when everyone was being allowed to hold. That era was turning guys who couldn’t cover for shit into Jalen Ramsey.

Also the way offenses are run is waaaaaaay different. QBs today are literally throwing 45 times in playoff games. QB getting to even 20 pass attempts back then would’ve been very dangerous
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Yes.After they build this OL into an elite OL,(Which hopefully they’ll do this offseason) then it won’t even be close.
Reply/Quote
I think the 2005 team loses to Pittsburgh with or without Palmer.

Marvin never showed any evidence he could win in the playoffs, and I don’t see why that game should be any different.

As for this poll question, I’ll go with 2021. Because they’re going to win the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
This is one of the best nfl teams of all time. :)
Reply/Quote
Even if 2021 is the correct answer, the results will be heavily skewed due to recency bias. A good amount of fans here (including myself) are not old and crusty enough to remember the 80s teams.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
In 1981 we were the superior team, but played like crap on the day. 4 turnovers, IIRC. And the goal line disaster. Lost 26-20.

Again, I think we were better in 1988. Boomer was hurt and limited. Krumrie gets hurt during the game. The Stanley Wilson fissco. Billups dropped the pick.

This time, overall, I think the Rams are the better team. Cupp, Donald, and Ramsey are likely the best at their positions in the league. Rams are better in the trenches. But I feel like we have the better QB, and will play closer to our potential, and eek out a win.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 01:01 PM)Housh Wrote: Defenses could hold outside of 5 yards in that era, this is why so many ppl list Jerry Rice as the GOAT WR. He was getting those stats when everyone was being allowed to hold. That era was turning guys who couldn’t cover for shit into Jalen Ramsey.

Also the way offenses are run is waaaaaaay different. QBs today are literally throwing 45 times in playoff games. QB getting to even 20 pass attempts back then would’ve been very dangerous

Right

WR's knew if they went across the middle they were gonna get blown up. On and on
Reply/Quote