Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official: Lou is our guy
(02-21-2019, 05:39 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Super! The Bengals (or anyone else in the NFL, evidently) didn't want JDR, so that ship has sailed.

Until somebody points out someone definitively better on the market right now that they could've hired, I'm not going to be disappointed.

...and make no mistake, the Bengals would be getting killed right now on these exact same boards if they *hadn't* hired him, so I don't really know what the hell they're supposed to do sometimes.

I just wanted to add: JDR had name recognition, good track record, and experience which would have excited the fan base at this point. A JDR hire would have alleviated some anxiety fans are experiencing at this point.  Don't know if  JDR would have been the right fit with Taylor, and evidently, Taylor and JDR did not think it was a good fit.  In addition another big name was still out there in Fox.  

Taylor has stated (and I am paraphrasing) that he wanted coaches that are excited, fresh, and can bring out the best in the players.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:40 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Seriously, are you on the goofballs?

How could you possibly glean from anything I've said that I advocate hiring no one?

Sorry, I can't take you seriously until you sober up.

Who should they have hired?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: This was far and away Williams’ best season and it’s basically what Collins’ average seasons are.

I added some more to my post. I had the same idea of having Collins and Williams, but I think Collins would be the better LB.

It's what Collins average seasons were. History shows that plenty of guys peak early and never get back there. Not saying that will be the case here, but I am not out chasing a guy coming off shoulder surgery who wants big money when I have a currently comparable player. If your telling me I can get Earl Thomas I am interested because I think the production difference, atleast for a year or two, is a big jump forward.

Side note over the last 4 years Williams has 11 INTs while Collins has only had 8. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I just wanted to add: JDR had name recognition, good track record, and experience which would have excited the fan base at this point. A JDR hire would have alleviated some anxiety fans are experiencing at this point.  Don't know if  JDR would have been the right fit with Taylor, and evidently, Taylor and JDR did not think it was a good fit.  In addition another big name was still out there in Fox.  

Taylor has stated (and I am paraphrasing) that he wanted coaches that are excited, fresh, and can bring out the best in the players.  

I think it's fair to point out that nobody else has hired JDR, either.

...but I guess it's more fun to pretend it's just a Bengals thing.
Reply/Quote
Welcome Lou....Im just happy we didnt hire that retread Del Rio.
Reply/Quote
I’m not criticizing any of these coaches for at least a year or even two. They are coming into a situation where we have a lot of pieces missing as far as players. We have had the same coach here for 16 years who in my opinion got complacent. Not only is this Taylor‘s first head-coaching job, but he has to do scouting too. They have a lot Of challenges. I don’t expect to go to the playoffs next year. I hope to see is Improvement on both sides of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's what Collins average seasons were. History shows that plenty of guys peak early and never get back there. Not saying that will be the case here, but I am not out chasing a guy coming off shoulder surgery who wants big money when I have a currently comparable player. If your telling me I can get Earl Thomas I am interested because I think the production difference, atleast for a year or two, is a big jump forward.

Side note over the last 4 years Williams has 11 INTs while Collins has only had 8. 

Side note: found an interesting trivia nugget researching Collins.

“Collins ended 2016 as the only player in NFL history to have over 100 solo tackles, more than two sacks, at least five interceptions, and with a minimum 12 pass deflections.”
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Like I said, a lot of detractors as well (of course there would be, in a sitch like this), but a lot of people were psyched and onboard.

Nobody should have any expectations at this point. None.

Nobody has predicted the future in this thread, Truck. Some people are excited about the hire, and some look at the resume and aren't as excited. Not sure why that ticks people off so bad. If you're super excited about butter pecan ice cream, I'm not going to throw a tantrum because you expressed your love for it. So...if I hate butter pecan and express as much, why are the positive folks so intolerant of the differing opinion?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think it’s hard to tell from resume sometimes. Even Bill Belichick has been fired. (Another great Cleveland decision)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:45 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: Not only that, but why is it a problem that Zac knew this guy before? Zac knows what he's getting with Lou. The bottom line is that we either trust Zac or we don't. 

If Zac knows this coach and why Zac brought him in, THAT is a good thing.  I WANT the new head coach to have a big say in who his coaches are, unlike the old days of Mike Brown as the control freak leading franchise into Bunglesville. 

People just like to complain. Fan is short for Fanatic. The people on here don't have a clue who a good hire is.  Case in point, some wanted Hue, which shows they don't have a clue.  So they complained about Wyche, Shula, Coslett, Lewis and now Taylor who is only in his 3rd week here. They have no idea why they are complaining about Taylor, but they are just use to saying the sky is falling and blaming the coach first. 

It was time to blow up all things Lewis including some of his pet players.  Blow it up, rebuild, get this franchise out of last place.  A mistake Trumpy and Collinsworth said on WLW Radio long ago was Bengals firing Wyche but telling Shula to use the Wyche playbook. They said that Never works, Once a coach is gone, the playbook has to be gone. So the only way this can work is to let Taylor bring in his people, do his thing, kiss all things Marvin good-bye.

Those always Negative posters will call anything Positive as Homers.  Still, this is a time to be Positive.  Just as last place Reds made coaching changes and added new players, so are the Bengals.  There is no reason for all things Cincinnati to be in Last Place.  I see Positive Changes happening in Cincinnati Sports, and I'm excited that they are trying to improve, not content with the losing. Adjust, Adapt, Attack.  I'm very excited that Reds and Bengals making MUST NEEDED CHANGES. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm excited about the hire and I was excited about the TA hire. I'd rather be happy and wrong than pissed and right.

I'm ready for the Lou Wrecking Crew to wreck a few
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think this thread proves all those that say "I'd be happy with just one playoff win" folks wrong.

The huge wish was that we hire a staff of no Bengal retreads or "lazy" in house hires. We did exactly that and folks are still mad. Same as they would if we won a playoff game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: history has shown DC's with Italian surnames do well
in the NFL.

Someone has never heard of Defensio D'crappio.
Reply/Quote
I am excited and nervous on the new hires. i am glad we finally have a DC. I am in the wait and see camp. Until we can see the plan that this staff puts together it is hard to judge them. There does seem to be a thread throughout the staff that Zac hired coaches that he has some comfort with. Hopefully this translates into a unified approach to coaching with all coaches and players pulling together.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Side note: found an interesting trivia nugget researching Collins.

“Collins ended 2016 as the only player in NFL history to have over 100 solo tackles, more than two sacks, at least five interceptions, and with a minimum 12 pass deflections.”

Just read he had a Pro Bowl safety in Miami, as well.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking the frustration for many of us is that it took so long and consequently we ended up with what looks like it could be the bottom of the barrel as evidenced by Lou's mediocre track record.

BUT:
  • I really appreciate the posters who cited examples of previous position coaches with little DC experience that turned out great.
  • I am amazed that ownership has done so little to interfere with Taylor, which was a big litmus test for many of us.  So that is positive
  • And if Taylor has maintained his cool throughout what has been a very public shit storm maybe we have a guy that won't be rattled - which I find a very cool prospect.
I admit to feelings of dread related to the possibility we have a kid who doesn't know what the heck he's doing, and we're about to squander the crack in the window we have left in the core of our team.

But at this point I have the luxury of not knowing what is coming and the choice to view the possibility that Zac knows exactly what he is doing.

I'll just go with that. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:55 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm thinking the frustration for many of us is that it took so long and consequently we ended up with what looks like it could be the bottom of the barrel as evidenced by Lou's mediocre track record.

BUT:

• I really appreciate the posters who cited examples of previous position coaches with little DC experience that turned out great.
  • I am amazed that ownership has done so little to interfere with Taylor, which was a big litmus test for many of us.  So that is positive
  • And if Taylor has maintained his cool throughout what has been a very public shit storm maybe we have a guy that won't be rattled - which I find a very cool prospect.
I admit to feelings of dread related to the possibility we have a kid who doesn't know what the heck he's doing, and we're about to squander the crack in the window we have left in the core of our team.

But at this point I have the luxury of not knowing what is coming and the choice to view the possibility that Zac knows exactly what he is doing.

I'll just go with that. :andy:

Good post and I agree

:andy:
Reply/Quote
The "you can't see the future" arguments remind me of a year ago when I was arguing with a poster here over his #32 QB ranking for Patrick Mahommes. I said there is virtually no way Josh McCown has a better year than Mahommes, but he correctly pointed out that I "can't see the future."

All I can say is that if our defense continues to stink we are going to declare "no duh" on the situation.
Reply/Quote
Out of all the names in the search I certainly wasnt enthusiatic about hiring Lou. I cant poo poo the DC yet we gotta at least give him a chance to see what he got. I have said all along I would rather go unknown than to go with crap experience. Welcome aboard Lou....please dont suck.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: Okay, what’s next list on the things to panic about?

ZT bringing in Tannehill and making our Dolphins reboot complete?
Reply/Quote