Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official: Lou is our guy
(02-21-2019, 11:50 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm starting to see a pattern with NFL coaches, its not WHAT you know, but WHO you know?

the coach you hire = hires people he knew or worked with in the past.

could be good, could be bad.

Most jobs work like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hilarious

Seriously, don't see much complaining, just questioning the depth and quality of experience. I'm sure he'll do fine. Heck, with 16yrs of Marvin, we all could use a little mystery.

This...and so they didn't get a big "name"....who cares?  The last thing I want is someone that is stubborn and thinks their old style of defense is the way and wouldn't adapt.  I don't know much about this guy other than he worked with Zac in Miami.  I want this coaching staff to all be on the same page with what Zac laid down as a basic strategy.  Synergy among the coaches, synergy on the team....

Now, about that LB group.  Go make some news in FA and have some significant additions before the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 08:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This...and so they didn't get a big "name"....who cares?  The last thing I want is someone that is stubborn and thinks their old style of defense is the way and wouldn't adapt.  I don't know much about this guy other than he worked with Zac in Miami.  I want this coaching staff to all be on the same page with what Zac laid down as a basic strategy.  Synergy among the coaches, synergy on the team....

Now, about that LB group.  Go make some news in FA and have some significant additions before the draft. 

Exactly.  Better players make for better coaches, plain and simple.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:21 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Anybody they would've hired would have been called them settling... not sure what people were expecting at this point, and the vast majority of us have no real idea about this guy's coaching ability one way or the other.

Plus ZT and this guy knew each other, so it's not like the interview process needs to involve them getting to know one another.

I think the only way of not having the perception of settling would have been if Del Rio would have been hired.
Let's face it, the fans wanted certain candidates and the Bengals didn't hire one of those candidates.
If this DC fails, I don't see him sticking around long because he wasn't even in the top 3 choices for ZT. Look for a better replacement next year, no big deal.
And I think this org will give ZT 3 years to try to get back to the playoffs, if anything to try to win something with the current core.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:22 AM)McC Wrote: Exactly.  Better players make for better coaches, plain and simple.  

And I like the idea of the so-called "youth movement"....how about playing (and coaching) with some frickin energy!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just like with Teryl Austin, this gets a giant "meh" from me.

That said, just like with Austin, I'll give Anarumo a shot. We'll see.

Agree. Same here
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 11:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And I like the idea of the so-called "youth movement"....how about playing (and coaching) with some frickin energy!

I do, too.  They weren't kidding when they said "New Dey".  

I think there's a reason previous guys were either turned down or didn't want to coach here.  It's got nothing to do with ability.  I think JT wanted fresh thinking.  There's a reason why DelRio hasn't picked up another gig.  Capers can't seem to snag another DC or HC position, either.

The rest?  I believe JT told them what he was looking for, and they didn't like it.

I think it's much more important to have a coach here who is on the same page as the HC then someone who has a "reputation".  Look no further than Hue's on Browns DC and OC hirings as proof of what can go wrong.  Both were "name" coaches who sniped Hue right out of a job.  Better to have one who is swimming in the same direction as the HC.

Let's get this party started!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 11:34 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: At least Anarumo is not Anotherurmor.

Or Anotherejection
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 12:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Or Anotherejection

Another-ejection?

I think you meant 

Anotherrejection
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:14 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Another-ejection?

I think you meant 

Anotherrejection

Just like how Bengalitis probably meant Anotherrumor?  

Are you really spell checking a made up play on a surname?  LMAO

Tbh, I just didn't like how 2 r's looked, so I left one out. I figured people would still get it, but maybe I overestimated.  Smirk
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the only way of not having the perception of settling would have been if Del Rio would have been hired.
Let's face it, the fans wanted certain candidates and the Bengals didn't hire one of those candidates.
If this DC fails, I don't see him sticking around long because he wasn't even in the top 3 choices for ZT. Look for a better replacement next year, no big deal.
And I think this org will give ZT 3 years to try to get back to the playoffs, if anything to try to win something with the current core.

I agree. The Bengals have shown they'll move on from a guy pretty quickly these days... they're not locked into him if he struggles OR if something better should come along.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 08:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This...and so they didn't get a big "name"....who cares?  The last thing I want is someone that is stubborn and thinks their old style of defense is the way and wouldn't adapt.  I don't know much about this guy other than he worked with Zac in Miami.  I want this coaching staff to all be on the same page with what Zac laid down as a basic strategy.  Synergy among the coaches, synergy on the team....

Pretty key really.   Just hope the like minded guys he gets turn out to know what they're doing.  

And I agree.  They need to get two pretty significant FAs along with a good draft to get them back in the race.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 12:03 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I do, too.  They weren't kidding when they said "New Dey".  

I think there's a reason previous guys were either turned down or didn't want to coach here.  It's got nothing to do with ability.  I think JT wanted fresh thinking.  There's a reason why DelRio hasn't picked up another gig.  Capers can't seem to snag another DC or HC position, either.

The rest?  I believe JT told them what he was looking for, and they didn't like it.

I think it's much more important to have a coach here who is on the same page as the HC then someone who has a "reputation".  Look no further than Hue's on Browns DC and OC hirings as proof of what can go wrong.  Both were "name" coaches who sniped Hue right out of a job.  Better to have one who is swimming in the same direction as the HC.

Let's get this party started!!!!!!!

True story.  That one picture of Hue with Williams after the first Cleveland loss seems to support this thesis.   Williams' expression says, "What?  Me?  Don't know what you're talking about.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 12:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Or Anotherejection

I just got a Bengals email newsbyte that said 'Bengals Defense Skipping to My Lou'.

One of the corniest yet!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just got a Bengals email newsbyte that said 'Bengals Defense Skipping to My Lou'.

One of the corniest yet!

And that is saying something. 

Hobs was cracking up when he wrote it, I'm sure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/thread/2639/bengals-hired-coach-lou-anarumo
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 03:30 PM)McC Wrote: And that is saying something. 

Hobs was cracking up when he wrote it, I'm sure.

Do you think he's intentionally corny or do you think he has no clue?

Kind of how William Shatner acts except Shatner is in on the joke and does it to be funny.
Reply/Quote
He has an awful lot to prove, but I see some long-term potential.  After hearing him speak in some old interviews I get the impression that he's probably very bright, energetic, and is a straight shooter type.  His floor is probably lower than a Fox or JDR, especially early in his career, but I could see a good identity shifting defense in the future.  
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 03:41 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/thread/2639/bengals-hired-coach-lou-anarumo

Great, they have a guy that likes to minimize the loss when they lose a coach, just like we do around here!  ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think energetic is a good quality in a coach. That tends to be able to get guys fired up.
Reply/Quote