Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official: Lou is our guy
I'm not going to pass judgement on any of ZT's decisions just yet. I'll admit I'd like it a lot better had we gotten a proven vet DC but I'll trust in ZT until I have a "real reason" to not.

Guess I'm still just so happy ML is gone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: These are TERRIBLE examples of the point you are trying to prove.

Mike Zimmer was the DC when Dallas had a #1 defense in 2003.
Bill Belichick won a playoff game with the BROWNS. Not his fault the owner chose the next year to announce his team to a different city.

The season he got fired, he was 4-12.  He was 36-44 in Cleveland.  Guess that's pretty stellar, huh?  Oh, and sometimes a coach's record is not his fault?  Interesting.

And Zimmer came here from Atlanta.  How well did that go?  4-12.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: What if I told you PFF had Shawn Williams rated above Landon Collins last year....

I’d tell you that whole Giants D sucked last year. Which is my concern with this hire.

Williams did have better stats last year, but Collins was out for 4 games and played hurt for a couple. Look at career stats and you’ll see Collins is the better player. Also, a 3 time pro-bowler and all-pro in 2016. How many of those does Williams have?

Of course we could have both of them and move Collins to WLB. Decent size at 6’ 222lbs, not sure about his block shedding ability though.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:16 PM)GodFather Wrote: no way, dont have to look, no way in hell a "shitload" of people were excited. I remember more complaining than anything else..

There were a whole bunch of people excited, don't deny it. The word was that this guy (Austin) had gotten head coaching looks, he was very highly regarded around the league, he was going to take our defense to the next level before being the next Bengals coordinator to get hired away (if he wasn't the guy to replace Marvin). I can't remember anybody being concerned about the hire at the time, I'm just taking your word on it.

But now? Oh yeah, he was a bum and we all totally knew it wasn't going to work out at all, what were they thinking...
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A shitload of people were excited, go back and look again.

I think a lot of fans were excited about "change" rather than Austin.  Well, there were a lot of changes this off season, now there seems to be some anxiety regarding personnel.  

Taylor is bringing in familiar people who in some capacity he either has worked with or feels comfortable.  And there is some angst because the people joining the new staff do not have name recognition or outstanding track record.  

Let's hope that Taylor has a plan.  Change is coming.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d tell you that whole Giants D sucked last year. Which is my concern with this hire.

Williams did have better stats last year, but Collins was out for 4 games and played gimpy for a couple. Look at career stats and you’ll see Collins is the better player.

The Bengals D didn't suck last year too? Would seem if we are giving passes to guys based on the defenses they played on Williams actually looks way better now haha.

The Giants also used to have a much better pass rush earlier in his career. There is a lot to be said about how defensive line play impacts secondary stats. Not saying he isn't a good just pointing out the push to get rid of Williams is kind of comical.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This is exactly how he should be introduced at his PC. 

"Seriously, though...who else were we going to hire? Come on in, Capt. Lou.."

Beats your suggestion so far: "Introducing the Bengals DC... nobody." I'm sure that'd be a roaring success.

Who should they have hired? I mean you must have an answer, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:16 PM)GodFather Wrote: no way, dont have to look, no way in hell a "shitload" of people were excited. I remember more complaining than anything else..

Clearly you do:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Austin-says-we-can%E2%80%99t-beat-ourselves-more-from-his-presser?highlight=austin
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Teryl-Austin-Next-DC-of-Bengals-Confirmed?highlight=austin
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/8/16865572/teryl-austin-joining-bengals-defensive-coordinator-per-espn

Yes, a lot of detractors, but a SHITLOAD of people loved the hire and thought he would be a success.

But of course, this post sums up your stance perfectly:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Austin-Promises-Defense-Will-Play-Without-Fear?pid=503473#pid503473

So because YOU didn't like the hire, it means that the rest of the world didn't too, right?

Stop man.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A shitload of people were excited, go back and look again.

Some were excited, some weren't. It's funny how similar that thread was to this one in some ways. Mentions of Del Rio. People ripping others for not "waiting and seeing".

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Teryl-Austin-Next-DC-of-Bengals-Confirmed?highlight=teryl+austin

Quote:bengals73 

I'm not excited by this hire - Then again Marvin is back - so does it really matter anyways?

"Detroit’s defenses under Austin weren’t not as good after his first season, ranking second, 18th, 18th and 27th in yards allowed from 2014-17."

(01-08-2018, 11:51 PM)Benton Wrote: I only watched two Lions games this year. Wasn't aware they had a defensive coordinator. 

Whatever

(01-09-2018, 12:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Dude's squad made our 32nd ranked offense look like world beaters.  Forgive me for being less than ecstatic......

(01-09-2018, 12:14 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, same. Definitely not ecstatic over his hiring, but I guess it's something different. Jerry

Quote:Shake n Blake

I'm willing to give any new guy a chance, but I've played the "lets force ourselves to get excited about an unexciting player/coach" game before, and I'm just done with it. Unless the player/coach has a good resume, I'm not going to force myself to come up with reasons to get excited about it. Austin's resume is mediocre at best. Hopefully Lazor does a better job filling out his offensive staff - particularly our next o-line coach....seeing how that coach could be around for the next quarter-century.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d tell you that whole Giants D sucked last year. Which is my concern with this hire.

Williams did have better stats last year, but Collins was out for 4 games and played hurt for a couple. Look at career stats and you’ll see Collins is the better player. Also, a 3 time pro-bowler and all-pro in 2016. How many of those does Williams have?

If the Bengals did bring in Landon Collins, they could still move Williams to backer/hybrid role.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:30 PM)NKURyan Wrote: There were a whole bunch of people excited, don't deny it. The word was that this guy (Austin) had gotten head coaching looks, he was very highly regarded around the league, he was going to take our defense to the next level before being the next Bengals coordinator to get hired away (if he wasn't the guy to replace Marvin). I can't remember anybody being concerned about the hire at the time, I'm just taking your word on it.

But now? Oh yeah, he was a bum and we all totally knew it wasn't going to work out at all, what were they thinking...

People weren't excited about him, if they were excited it was only because of the chance the defense could turn into something special and were willing to give him a chance. Theres a difference between that. Let me give you MY opinion on the todays situation...

I would've been ecstatic if the Bengals hired Jack Del Rio as DC

I am hopeful that Lou can do good things and will turn this defense around.

But excited about Lou? No not even elevated...
Reply/Quote
Let’s hope his nickname changes from ‘Captain’ Lou to ‘Sweet’ Lou.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some were excited, some weren't. It's funny how similar that thread was to this one in some ways. Mentions of Del Rio. People ripping others for not "waiting and seeing".

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Teryl-Austin-Next-DC-of-Bengals-Confirmed?highlight=teryl+austin

Like I said, a lot of detractors as well (of course there would be, in a sitch like this), but a lot of people were psyched and onboard.

Nobody should have any expectations at this point. None.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: The Bengals D didn't suck last year too? Would seem if we are giving passes to guys based on the defenses they played on Williams actually looks way better now haha.

The Giants also used to have a much better pass rush earlier in his career. There is a lot to be said about how defensive line play impacts secondary stats. Not saying he isn't a good just pointing out the push to get rid of Williams is kind of comical.

(02-21-2019, 05:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals did bring in Landon Collins, they could still move Williams to backer/hybrid role.  

This was far and away Williams’ best season and it’s basically what Collins’ average seasons are.

I added some more to my post. I had the same idea of having Collins and Williams, but I think Collins would be the better LB.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: People weren't excited about him, if they were excited it was only because of the chance the defense could turn into something special and were willing to give him a chance. Theres a difference between that. Let me give you MY opinion on the todays situation...

I would've been ecstatic if the Bengals hired Jack Del Rio as DC

I am hopeful that Lou can do good things and will turn this defense around.

But excited about Lou? No not even elevated...

Super! The Bengals (or anyone else in the NFL, evidently) didn't want JDR, so that ship has sailed.

Until somebody points out someone definitively better on the market right now that they could've hired, I'm not going to be disappointed.

...and make no mistake, the Bengals would be getting killed right now on these exact same boards if they *hadn't* hired him, so I don't really know what the hell they're supposed to do sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:25 PM)McC Wrote: The season he got fired, he was 4-12.  He was 36-44 in Cleveland.  Guess that's pretty stellar, huh?  Oh, and sometimes a coach's record is not his fault?  Interesting.

And Zimmer came here from Atlanta.  How well did that go?  4-12.

Yes, they went 5-11 AFTER announcing that they were leaving the city. They started 3-1, but no team plays well when the players and fans know they are leaving. Hence why they finished the season with a 1-6 run.

Zimmer had a bad season in Atlanta when Bobby Petrino joined the team, and quit before his first season was even over. Doesn't remove the fact that he was the DC of a #1 defense.

- - - - - - - - - -

So basically your point was that guys who were successful prior, had a bad year in unusual extenuating circumstances, therefor everyone who complains about any meh hiring is wrong.

As I said, it's a terrible example.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:32 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Beats your suggestion so far: "Introducing the Bengals DC... nobody." I'm sure that'd be a roaring success.

Who should they have hired? I mean you must have an answer, right?

Seriously, are you on the goofballs?

How could you possibly glean from anything I've said that I advocate hiring no one?

Sorry, I can't take you seriously until you sober up.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
GLAD THAT IS OVER

Really not all that bad. Due to Super Bowl, Zac Taylor not allowed to join Bengals until late. In his 1st and 2nd weeks he got a lot of offensive coaches. In his 3rd week he got his D Coordinator. Del Rio & Bengals both decided not a good fit. Grantham decided to stay at Florida Gators, which is a good job him and his Family just moved to last year. Maybe the Family sick of moving every year. Next for an interview was Lou Anarumo who is now hired. Bengals decided they were more interested in this guy than Manuel or Pleasant. The Giants DB Coach has some NFL D Coordinator experience with Dolphins. So he has been an NFL D Coordinator before and has an idea of it. People making fun of his college experience, I really didn't want a college coach with no NFL experience. This guy has NFL experience and that one of his colleges has the word MARINE in it isn't a bad thing. I think Bengals just hired an offensive coach with the word MARINE on his resume, maybe the new O Line Coach. MARINE might be the way to go on conditioning and getting these knuckleheads to block and tackle and cut down on stupid before the snap procedure penalties as Paul Brown use to cut way down on those. Mostly I like that he has a little NFL experience as D Coordinator.

So Welcome Lou Anarumo. GO BENGALS. I now change my mood from dunno / questionable to Hopeful. GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:38 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I'm sure there are a handful of posters who may have looked into it, but "everyone" is definitely a stretch. And for those who looked into said resume... Did they look at the players he had at the time? The coaching philosophy of those higher up on the tree than him? His injury reports? How much freedom he had to coach the way he wanted to coach? His influence on scheming and playcalling? I'm guessing the people who took all of that into account in forming these opinions is even smaller.

And I'll freely admit to not knowing a thing about any of these... but that's my point! Most of us have no real clue at this point, so let's just hold off until at least training camp before condemning the hire.

I mean if people were expecting them to hire the reincarnated spirit of Bob Ryan or to actually call back JDR at this point, I don't know what to tell you, but who else were they going to hire that would be any better than this guy?

Not only that, but why is it a problem that Zac knew this guy before? Zac knows what he's getting with Lou. The bottom line is that we either trust Zac or we don't. 
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
Before Gus Bradley masterminded the Legion of Boom in Seattle he was the LB coach of the an average TB Bucs team. Before that his only stint at DC was with North Dakota State.

Before Marvin Lewis was the defensive coordinator of arguably one of the best defenses ever he was a LB coach for an average Steelers team and had never been a DC before.

Before Todd Wash became the DC in Jacksonville of one of the best defenses in the NFL he was a defensive line coach. His last sting as a DC was 10 years prior at Missouri Southern State.

Matt Eberflus who turned around a bad Indy defense last year was previously a LB coach in Dallas who had pretty average success up until the year before he to to Indy. His last stint as a DC before that was 10 years prior at Missouri.

I can keep going finding guys who were pretty much unheard of before they became DC's and ended up having success even if their position coach work was pretty unheralded. Obviously there are plenty who flamed out too, but this idea that it's a bad hire has no real basis in fact because frankly no one knows how it will go.
Reply/Quote