Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official: Lou is our guy
(02-21-2019, 06:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this thread proves all those that say "I'd be happy with just one playoff win" folks wrong.

The huge wish was that we hire a staff of no Bengal retreads or "lazy" in house hires. We did exactly that and folks are still mad. Same as they would if we won a playoff game.

You might have a point if anyone were claiming to hate the overall staff and that 2019 is already a bust.

Overall, I like Taylor and much of the staff. Just not Anarumo and Jim Turner. And even with those guys, I don't "hate" them. Just not all that excited by those particular guys. 

So I'm not sure how me not liking 1-2 of the hires somehow proves I wouldn't be happy if we won a playoff game. Also, how long are we talking here? I would've been happy had Marv won a playoff game, but one playoff game isn't enough for most to be content for a decade. Nor should it be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hilarious

Seriously, don't see much complaining, just questioning the depth and quality of experience. I'm sure he'll do fine. Heck, with 16yrs of Marvin, we all could use a little mystery.

I thought ML was the head coach and not the DC the past 16 years.  Whatever

Let's hope the new staff gets 10 wins and instant respect through winning.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nobody has predicted the future in this thread, Truck. Some people are excited about the hire, and some look at the resume and aren't as excited. Not sure why that ticks people off so bad. If you're super excited about butter pecan ice cream, I'm not going to throw a tantrum because you expressed your love for it. So...if I hate butter pecan and express as much, why are the positive folks so intolerant of the differing opinion?

Because being positive is harder than being wrong being wrong is easy. The chances of the “negative” crowd being right is higher than theb”positive” crowd, because, well, it’s really easy to lose. So the positive people essentially think they’re doing something that’s more difficult to follow through on than giving in the the negative Nancy of the world. Reality is everyone has an opinion like everyone has an asshole... and most of them stink lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:26 PM)NKURyan Wrote: There were a lot of people really excited about them hiring a name coach in Austin last year (though noone will actually own up it) and that went over about as well as a wet fart during the season, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’ll be happy to “own up” to being excited about the Teryl Austin hire last season because his defenses in Detroit played fast. Obviously this didn’t happen in Cincinnati and I’ll be the first to admit it.

Similarly, I was upset the Bengals didn’t land Jack Del Rio this year but if Zac Taylor wants this guy from the Giants, I’m good with it. Maybe “name coaches” aren’t all that.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hilarious

Seriously, don't see much complaining, just questioning the depth and quality of experience. I'm sure he'll do fine. Heck, with 16yrs of Marvin, we all could use a little mystery.

That's a healthy way to look at this staff and the coming season. No idea what we've got with these characters, but if they are half as good as their bravado then we should get a win against the Squeelers.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:35 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Let’s hope his nickname changes from ‘Captain’ Lou to ‘Sweet’ Lou.

What’s the “Captain” nickname about?

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 08:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s the “Captain” nickname about?

Old rasslin manager named Captain Lou Albano. He hung around with Cindy Lauper.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 08:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Old rasslin manager named Captain Lou Albano. He hung around with Cindy Lauper.

He was even an early MTV star with an epic appearance in one of her videos.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Welcome aboard Lou. The media in NY seem to think he's a big loss on their staff. Definitely not an exciting name but it seems like Zac is getting guys based on their communication skills more than anything. He has an actual plan to build and create a new environment here and wants good communicators to get everyone on the same page. Dabo has set the standard on that kind of thing. They way Zac talks reminds me of what Dabo has done at Clemson.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 08:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s the “Captain” nickname about?

(02-21-2019, 08:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Old rasslin manager named Captain Lou Albano. He hung around with Cindy Lauper.

It's-a-Mario!

[Image: Dr1ITo1UcAEavNy.jpg]
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Well, I guess we will see these coaches “True Colors” then. As we were stuck with Marvin’s regime failures “Time after Time,” it was the “Same Ol’ Story.” Glad to welcome in this new staff, because the old regime were just a bunch of “”Girls, that just want to have fun.” Let’s just hope ZT can separate Mike from his cash in FA? “Money changes everything!”

Ok, lame, but just had to do it. I knows me some Cindy Lauper. Just don’t listen to it on the Harley (would be equivalent to Bengals running into the jungle to Katie Perry). Although, I could play that shit on a Honda! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 07:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought ML was the head coach and not the DC the past 16 years.  Whatever

Let's hope the new staff gets 10 wins and instant respect through winning.  ThumbsUp

I was speaking generally about under his command. But agree. 10 wins would be great. Yet honestly, if we get 4-5 win, but show an aggressiveness like we’ve not seen for sometime and see some good coaching in the process of a new leadership change? I’m going to be stoked. I really don’t expect much next year, but will be looking more to the building of the future more than the immediate end game results.

Goodness, please let them be active in FA and nail the draft.

Reply/Quote
People who didn't expect this post-Marvin underestimated what 20 years of networking as a HC can do.

We asked for this. Got to take the pros with the cons.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:35 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Let’s hope his nickname changes from ‘Captain’ Lou to ‘Sweet’ Lou.

I dunno, Captain Lou did manage Ivan Koloff to a world championship.  Hopefully our version can do the equivalent.
Reply/Quote
Watched the interview with him and felt pretty good about the hire. I think he fits well with Zac, and that's a plus already. He seems to have a bit of an edge to him. I'll be looking forward to seeing who he hires at LB and DL. More youth? They ought to consider Burfict as an assistant LB coach.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Its great that Zach is getting good coaches /communicators with the right mindset and everything. I respect his vision and what he’s doing. Hoping Lou knows his Xs and Os and can scheme effectively too. Hoping Zach can call a good game and scheme well/ adjust well in games. Lets give them all a shot. See what they can do.
Reply/Quote
At least Anarumo is not Anotherurmor.
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to see a pattern with NFL coaches, its not WHAT you know, but WHO you know?

the coach you hire = hires people he knew or worked with in the past.

could be good, could be bad.
Reply/Quote
Im wondering... any chance the Bengals pursue a thrid safety? Try something different on defense with a hybrid scheme. 3 safeties. One or two could play up as linebacker/defensive back hybrids. But also play 2 or 3 deep and also blitz/ play the run or cover?

Was just wondering seeing there’s 3 high profile safeties on the market. And we need help at linebacker.

#crazy thought
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 10:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well, I guess we will see these coaches “True Colors” then. As we were stuck with Marvin’s regime failures “Time after Time,” it was the “Same Ol’ Story.” Glad to welcome in this new staff, because the old regime were just a bunch of “”Girls, that just want to have fun.” Let’s just hope ZT can separate Mike from his cash in FA? “Money changes everything!”

Ok, lame, but just had to do it. I knows me some Cindy Lauper. Just don’t listen to it on the Harley (would be equivalent to Bengals running into the jungle to Katie Perry). Although, I could play that shit on a Honda! Hilarious

It was actually one if the better posts in this thread.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote