Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's officially over
(10-01-2019, 08:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not 5. Hopkins has been a good Center. And Jonah will hopefully be as good as advertised. It’s more like 2-3.

At the moment, it's 3.5. Hopkins has been good, Miller has had some decent play, and some bad. Jordan is awful....Smith and Hart LOL (that's all that needs said), and Billy Price may be the worst of them all. He had the embarrassing pancake against SF, and last night, he just stood there and watched as his man sacked us on our last play. He never even laid a hand on anyone. I mean, he's Ced O bad at this point.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 09:28 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: No they don't. Watson has been struggling this year because his line is crap and he's one of the best QBs in the league at extending plays. 

Our line is a dumpster fire. Literal rusty turnstiles would be more effective. They would at least get stuck occasionally and cause an inconvenience to the defensive line. 

Andy isn't a great QB, and I'd agree the team shouldn't view him as the future, BUT no one will succeed behind the joke of an offensive line we put out week after week. 

I concur....with the exception of New Orleans game (where he was also pummeled), Watson has killed me in FF! LOL.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 01:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I posted the below in the All things Andy sub forum:

On one of the sacks last night Andy looked like he was literally frozen. I have never seen anything like it. I'm not sure if a permanent benching is the answer put when he struggles like he has in the last 2 games they need to pull him and let him watch . He's a smart guy maybe he can pick up something. Hell he might be better at identifying things than our current staff.

As to the OP: Nothing is over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

There were 2 or perhaps even 3 sacks last night where Dalton indeed just froze ! No attempt at side stepping, no attempt to move. It was like his brain just hit the ejection button while his body stood motionless.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: At the moment, it's 3.5. Hopkins has been good, Miller has had some decent play, and some bad. Jordan is awful....Smith and Hart LOL (that's all that needs said), and Billy Price may be the worst of them all. He had the embarrassing pancake against SF, and last night, he just stood there and watched as his man sacked us on our last play. He never even laid a hand on anyone. I mean, he's Ced O bad at this point.

I saw that. He was shuffle stepping backwards looking down out the ground chanting "take me to my happy place". That's when I turned the TV off
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There were 2 or perhaps even 3 sacks last night where Dalton indeed just froze ! No attempt at side stepping, no attempt to move. It was like his brain just hit the ejection button while his body stood motionless.

There was 1 play where he looked terrified and just wanted to get the hot potato in someone else's hands.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Dalton has THAT guy pissed, and i didn't think you could get that guy pissed.  Nervous

I'm getting my 2nd wind
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, but I also feel the Andy ship has sailed.  So, they really need to see if Finley can be a good starter, worth building around, or if they need to pick a new franchise QB.  Honestly?  If it weren't for the Jonah Williams, Clint Boling and Cordy Glenn situations, I don't believe that we're having any of these conversations right now.

Your last sentence nails it.....we were sunk before we ever took the field this season. None of them have played a down, and at least two of them won't play this year. One never will again. That's a pretty damn deep hole to dig out of.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There was 1 play where he looked terrified and just wanted to get the hot potato in someone else's hands.

He has always panicked under pressure but he is now under siege, not pressure. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Your last sentence nails it.....we were sunk before we ever took the field this season. None of them have played a down, and at least two of them won't play this year. One never will again. That's a pretty damn deep hole to dig out of.

Wyche you know me from the mother ship back in 11 or whatever. You know I've never blamed AD for this teams failures. Never been a Dalton basher.

I'd have to write 3 pages to sum up the AD era and that would be just a quick overview. Having said that I just strongly feel the AD era is over. It's time to pull the plug.

We need to see what we have going forward and we need more than just a final two or three games look at Finley and/or Dolegala.

When on this team is the Oline ever gonna be perfect to insert the rookie QB ? 2028
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Your last sentence nails it.....we were sunk before we ever took the field this season. None of them have played a down, and at least two of them won't play this year. One never will again. That's a pretty damn deep hole to dig out of.

I know every team deals with injuries, and I know every fanbase feels like their team gets the worst of it, but I gotta tell you.  I don't know what it is about this team, but when they get hit with the injury bug it's almost always severely crippling. 

What happened to this offensive line over the last five years can almost be classified as a human atrocity. 
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:14 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: He has always panicked under pressure but he is now under siege, not pressure. 

For most of Dalton's time here, we had a REALLY GOOD pass blocking line. I saw a stat about how few pressures it gave up.

Now, we're arguably the worst.

Hart reverted to being Bobby Hart this past game. False start. Hands to the face. Getting beat for sacks.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We HAVE to use free agency to sign a couple quality free agents at LB and OL. You can't bank on the draft.

Don't tell US that. Tell that to the freaking Bengals FRONT OFFICE!!!  Pissed
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For most of Dalton's time here, we had a REALLY GOOD pass blocking line. I saw a stat about how few pressures it gave up.

Now, we're arguably the worst.

Hart reverted to being Bobby Hart this past game. False start. Hands to the face. Getting beat for sacks.

I literally laughed out loud when Hart drew the false start flag there late in the game. Just when you think something good might happen in this game (not that it mattered for the outcome) cue the Benny Hill music.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Don't tell US that. Tell that to the freaking Bengals FRONT OFFICE!!!  Pissed

They're trying to get in touch with D. Roland and Gutcheck now.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
The Bengals reminded me last night in the Monday night game of the Dave Shula, Bruce Coslett era back in the nineties,with quarterbacks John Kitna,Akili Smith,Terrible O line.This is the worst,in my opinion,I have seen the Bengals look in a long long time.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Wyche you know me from the mother ship back in 11 or whatever. You know I've never blamed AD for this teams failures. Never been a Dalton basher.

I'd have to write 3 pages to sum up the AD era and that would be just a quick overview. Having said that I just strongly feel the AD era is over. It's time to pull the plug.

We need to see what we have going forward and we need more than just a final two or three games look at Finley and/or Dolegala.

When on this team is the Oline ever gonna be perfect to insert the rookie QB ? 2028

If that's directed at me, I actually said we could put in a rookie in a season or 2.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does Dalton deserve ANY blame according to you?

I never absolve Dalton of everything....  But if you think replacing just him will fix any of this...  You aint been watching.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 08:29 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, he would — and he should.  I’m one of Andy Dalton’s biggest supporters on Planet Earth and I would genuinely love to see him finish his career with a winning team and even win a playoff game.  My utmost desire would be to see Andy win here in Cincinnati but after 2015 that’s not going to happen.  

Quite frankly, I’m afraid for him.  There’s no protection to speak of and Andy isn’t mobile.  He’s a good runner but he’s not mobile; those are two different skill sets.  However, simply letting Andy Dalton go and finding a more mobile quarterback isn’t a long term answer.  It doesn’t address the five elephants in the offensive line room.

But if you look back over years when the O-Line was decent, Dalton displayed similar traits.  He is an NFL quarterback that is good at some things but not really great at anything.  I think his lack of pocket presence, batted down balls, timely fumbles have been reoccurring for nearly 8 years.  Dalton simply does not have the intangibles, the leadership acumen to help this team overcome some of its weaknesses.  Dalton has displayed below average situational awareness during critical times in the game.  He is not off my much, but enough that he falls into the twirling blades of game-time mental mistakes. 

The O-line clearly needs talent and it will take probably 2-3 years to fix.  Unfortunately, there is no hiatus and games must be played.  Hopefully Williams is a keeper somewhere, either at OT or Guard.  Hopkins is good at pass-pro but does not get push at the LOS.  I Honestly think the team could replace 3-4 O-Line players over the next 4 years.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: But if you look back over years when the O-Line was decent, Dalton displayed similar traits.  He is an NFL quarterback that is good at some things but not really great at anything.  I think his lack of pocket presence, batted down balls, timely fumbles have been reoccurring for nearly 8 years.  Dalton simply does not have the intangibles, the leadership acumen to help this team overcome some of its weaknesses.  Dalton has displayed below average situational awareness during critical times in the game.  He is not off my much, but enough that he falls into the twirling blades of game-time mental mistakes. 

The O-line clearly needs talent and it will take probably 2-3 years to fix.  Unfortunately, there is no hiatus and games must be played.  Hopefully Williams is a keeper somewhere, either at OT or Guard.  Hopkins is good at pass-pro but does not get push at the LOS.  I Honestly think the team could replace 3-4 O-Line players over the next 4 years.  

My reply is: After 9 years, it's blatantly obvious that Dalton isn't some transcendent talent that can win as a Bengal. MANY QB's can't. Honestly, it remains to be seen if any QB can have great success for this franchise in more than a catch lighting in a bottle sense one season.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They're trying to get in touch with D. Roland and Gutcheck now.  Ninja

Heck, at this point, I'd take Bodine's being pushed back into Dalton. At least, he still keeps the defender in front of him.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote