Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Its becoming clear we knocked this last draft out of the park
(12-05-2023, 07:34 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: After last night we can really see how good of a draft Duke and co put together this year.

ROUND 1- Myles Murphy DE- Full disclosure I preferred Sam LaPorta on draft day and still would rather that have been the pick, BUT Myles is starting to really come on and show flashes of being a game changer.  He is 21 and won't be 22 until next month so his best days are wayyy ahead of him.  At this point his floor looks like a more athletic Sam Hubbard and his ceiling is sky high if he can hone his technique and reach it.

ROUND 2- DJ Turner CB- What a steal this kid was.  Day 1 looked the part of a good corner and will only get better.  The speed, the coverage, the tackling have all been awesome.  I expect with CTB out he will have a few plays where he looks like a rookie but for a late 2nd round pick can't ask for a better performance thus far.

ROUND 3- Jordan Battle S- Another absolute steal.  When we picked this kid I thought well ok special teamer and backup but boy was I wrong.  In only a few starts he's already shown he's gonna be a player for us for many years.  The instincts, the hitting both A from me.  He just seems to always be in on the play in the same way Vonn Bell was.  I can't really speak to his coverage skills yet but I don't notice him much which is probably a good sign.

ROUND 4- Charlie Jones WR- A couple injuries have set him back but when he's played he is already showing to be our best punt returner since Pacman.  I expect next season we will really find out if hes got game if (when) we let Boyd walk and he steps in to a more prominent role in the offense.  Keep in mind he is playing through a torn labrum that needs surgery in the off-season.

ROUND 5- Chase Brown RB- FINALLY THE COACHES LET THIS KID SHOW WHAT HE CAN BRING.  Listen I love Joe Mixon hes been a great Bengal but after last night I think Chase might be the best RB on the roster.  He has speed, juice, seems to read the hole well and oh did I mention SPEED (kinda important when you run out of the shotgun a lot).  If I was the coach from here forward Chase would be the starting RB and Mixon would be the goalline/short yardage back.  Still a lot we have to see to call him a steal but I think its looking like a steal.

ROUND 6-Andrei Iosivas WR- Steal.  6th round is not where you expect to find a WR who looks good as a rookie in a very talented WR room but Duke and co found one.  Yoshi will be good for us for a while and truly the sky is the limit for him.  Tall, long, fast, knows how to scramble and get open when plays get extended.  Very excited for this kids future.

ROUND 6- Brad Robbins P- So far hasn't been good enough.  Might be a miss here we will see if he can step it up.  

ROUND 7- DJ Ivey CB- Can't say I know much about the kid but I heard he was really flashing in camp.  He is on the active roster as a 7th rounder and that alone is quite impressive.  Time will tell if he makes an impact for us.

Overall just a fantastic draft class and when its all said and done might boast 6-7 solid players/starters for us.

100% agree, but Chase Brown has been battling injuries too. He just came off IR, and was limited a couple of weeks prior iirc. He and Mixon make a good change of pace.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brad Robbins needs to be replaced. He has had a couple of good games but most of the time he isnt very good. He still hangs out near the bottom in both punt yard average and net yard average as well as punts inside the 20. He cant flip the field, he doesnt pin teams deep. He is a liability instead of a weapon.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2023/REG/all/puntingaverageyards/DESC
Reply/Quote
I hope Jones comes into camp next year looking great in the slot. I have seen enough of Boyd's stupidity this season, dropped TD passes, the bad pass on MNF...
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:15 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I hope Jones comes into camp next year looking great in the slot. I have seen enough of Boyd's stupidity this season, dropped TD passes, the bad pass on MNF...

Not to mention horrible blocking, screwing over fans at events…

I’m beyond ready to move on from him.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not to mention horrible blocking, screwing over fans at events…

I’m beyond ready to move on from him.

What's he done at events?

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:22 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: What's he done at events?

Showed up like an hour late to a signing, then supposedly whined about not wanting to be there and left early. I don’t know where dude’s head is at this season, but it sure isn’t football.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Showed up like an hour late to a signing, then supposedly whined about not wanting to be there and left early. I don’t know where dude’s head is at this season, but it sure isn’t football.

That's bush league. Tee ain't got a deal, and I saw him come outside when the time was up and see the line. He said hell naw, and went back in and signed more. 

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Showed up like an hour late to a signing, then supposedly whined about not wanting to be there and left early. I don’t know where dude’s head is at this season, but it sure isn’t football.

That is terrible. He doesn't want to be here I don't think. He's kind of been the 3rd wheel awhile...
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:42 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That's bush league. Tee ain't got a deal, and I saw him come outside when the time was up and see the line. He said hell naw, and went back in and signed more. 

Yeah, I remember seeing that about Tee. Great kid.

Reply/Quote
Our defense has been really bad.

Turner and Battle try to hit hard on every tackle. Nice to see.

But, it's hard to say that any of our picks are good starters. I have hopes for some though. Too early to tell though, but promising.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 01:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our defense has been really bad.

Turner and Battle try to hit hard on every tackle. Nice to see.

But, it's hard to say that any of our picks are good starters. I have hopes for some though. Too early to tell though, but promising.

Jordan Battle is a good starter right now.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: In the end I would say Vigil and Billings were hits and pretty good draft picks. Considering both are still playing in the league. And Billings got a contract extension last month. Not many make it as long as they have

If a guy isn't good for us, then they're not a good draft pick by us.

Nobody in Jacksonville was celebrating how good drafting Reggie Nelson in the 1st round was for them when he was a Pro Bowler in Cincinnati and Oakland. Same as we weren't celebrating how Justin Smith got nominated for the Hall of Fame even though we drafted him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:42 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: If you don't think DJT and Battle have looked about as good as you can expect a rookie to look your standards are way too high.  Both pump out consistent 70s and 80s PFF scores AS ROOKIES.  Hell Marvin used to redshirt these guys.  

DJ Turner be on the receiving end of highlight reels and got clapped by Noah Brown.

It takes time for them to come too. I wouldn’t want him starting on a high stakes game as it stands.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:53 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: DJ Turner be on the receiving end of highlight reels and got clapped by Noah Brown.

It takes time for them to come too. I wouldn’t want him starting on a high stakes game as it stands.

We started CTB in the playoffs last year and he was fantastic. 2nd highest graded player on the team in the Buffalo game (84.5) after Reader.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:53 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: DJ Turner be on the receiving end of highlight reels and got clapped by Noah Brown.

Dang I didn't realize DJ is the only corner to ever give up yards in the NFL.  Guess he stinks Whatever

You are the same guy who made a thread to call 21 year old Myles Murphy a "bum" I think you just have a warped view of how hard it is to be good as a rookie in the NFL. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Mostly agreed, but I fear that Murphy's floor may still be in disappointment territory. It's still early but he seems to drop responsibilities and get out of position trying to freelance. If he can't be coached out of that it's not going to work out. His action is limited but he should be putting a little more on his stat line with those snaps as a first round pick.

When I saw Battle's film I didn't understand how we got him in the third. Measurables, I guess.

Between Iosivas and Jones we should have a good replacement for Boyd when he is up. Iosivas has the potential to be a latter day Chris Collinsworth.

People were knocking Chase Brown as slow earlier in the season. I think he was just hesitant. He's no speedster but he's got good burst, vision, and contact balance. He could become a great change of pace back if we actually ran the ball.

Brad Robbins has been a disappointment so far. That's an upgrade from the bust that he appeared to be in the first few weeks. There is still hope. He has looked great at times in warm-ups and he seems close to being able to deliver some game changing kicks.
Reply/Quote
A "not bad" draft. Robbins will be in a competition again this off season for a job...whether we draft a punter or not. Admittedly, I haven't looked at this upcoming draft class for punters, but even if it's a signee that's not drafted, Robbins is going to either step up or step out (of the roster).

TE......wished we had plucked one of the many good ones last draft, but we didn't. Irv Smith is gone. If he can't get any catches with Browing at the helm, Burrow isn't going to look his way much.

Again, wished we had plucked higher in this draft for a RB, but we didn't. Mixon has clearly lost a step or two. He's not dancing around in the backfield as much looking for something to open up. unless it's a big hole, he's not quick enough to hit the opposing DLs where a hole may open. Thanks Joe, but we're drafting another RB again next year.

The rest? Not bad. Wished Murphy would have asserted himself sooner, but he's coming on a little bit more, now.

We will need to get a replacement for Reader. I still don't think Tee is going anywhere. Down year for him. Unfortunately it was during a contract year. He'll take a "prove it" extension.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:14 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Brad Robbins needs to be replaced. He has had a couple of good games but most of the time he isnt very good. He still hangs out near the bottom in both punt yard average and net yard average as well as punts inside the 20. He cant flip the field, he doesnt pin teams deep. He is a liability instead of a weapon.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2023/REG/all/puntingaverageyards/DESC

(12-06-2023, 04:12 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Dang I didn't realize DJ is the only corner to ever give up yards in the NFL.  Guess he stinks Whatever

You are the same guy who made a thread to call 21 year old Myles Murphy a "bum" I think you just have a warped view of how hard it is to be good as a rookie in the NFL. 

Robbins hasnt been great. But there are no returns. His hang time is apparently what they thought. I would have taken that in the AFCCG last season. Im guessing his coffin corner kicks have been acceptable as well.

The DJ Turner slander is amateur at best. He is not, and never will be Sauce, but he is playing the 2nd most difficult position in the NFL and he is a backup thrust into a starting role. Yes he should have fallen on the fumble and he's been beat a couple times, I've watched Jalen Ramsey get destroyed multiple times in a single game. Those that cant see DJ's willingness to come up and make hits in the run game and the traits in pass defense says more about them than DJ.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's bush league. Tee ain't got a deal, and I saw him come outside when the time was up and see the line. He said hell naw, and went back in and signed more. 

I've been thinking that we can't afford him, but combine his talent with that kind of character and I feel like we have to.  Wish he weren't tied to that agent.
Reply/Quote
Good so far.

We're now entering the final quarter of the season, so I'm really hoping we start seeing some more Murphy.
Battle getting the start now at safety is both a testament to his ability but also Nick Scott was just not good, so it made sense to try someone else.
Having Hudson has helped mitigate the lack of draft investment into TE, but I do think we see TE addressed next draft.
I'm not sure if we've seen enough Charlie Jones to say he's worthy of replacing Boyd, but I'm not overly worried about it if he does take that spot going into next season.
Iosivas should become a decent backup outside WR, maybe even a lower end WR2 in the near future based on his growth through the remainder of this season and in the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote