Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Its becoming clear we knocked this last draft out of the park
(12-06-2023, 01:21 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: A "not bad" draft. Robbins will be in a competition again this off season for a job...whether we draft a punter or not. Admittedly, I haven't looked at this upcoming draft class for punters, but even if it's a signee that's not drafted, Robbins is going to either step up or step out (of the roster).

TE......wished we had plucked one of the many good ones last draft, but we didn't. Irv Smith is gone. If he can't get any catches with Browing at the helm, Burrow isn't going to look his way much.

Again, wished we had plucked higher in this draft for a RB, but we didn't. Mixon has clearly lost a step or two. He's not dancing around in the backfield as much looking for something to open up. unless it's a big hole, he's not quick enough to hit the opposing DLs where a hole may open. Thanks Joe, but we're drafting another RB again next year.

The rest? Not bad. Wished Murphy would have asserted himself sooner, but he's coming on a little bit more, now.

We will need to get a replacement for Reader. I still don't think Tee is going anywhere. Down year for him. Unfortunately it was during a contract year. He'll take a "prove it" extension.

Down year or not, I don't think Tee will have to take a prove it deal. In fact I think they'll tag him at least once. There's no reason to let him walk after this year. Couple of tweaks and we could be the best team in the AFC hands down next season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:15 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I hope Jones comes into camp next year looking great in the slot. I have seen enough of Boyd's stupidity this season, dropped TD passes, the bad pass on MNF...

(12-06-2023, 12:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not to mention horrible blocking, screwing over fans at events…

I’m beyond ready to move on from him.

(12-06-2023, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Showed up like an hour late to a signing, then supposedly whined about not wanting to be there and left early. I don’t know where dude’s head is at this season, but it sure isn’t football.

Wow, didn't know this about TB. Makes me think less of him for sure and he can go somewhere else and drop game winning TD's.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:51 AM)Roland Wrote: Mostly agreed, but I fear that Murphy's floor may still be in disappointment territory.  It's still early but he seems to drop responsibilities and get out of position trying to freelance.  If he can't be coached out of that it's not going to work out.  His action is limited but he should be putting a little more on his stat line with those snaps as a first round pick.

When I saw Battle's film I didn't understand how we got him in the third.  Measurables, I guess.

Between Iosivas and Jones we should have a good replacement for Boyd when he is up.  Iosivas has the potential to be a latter day Chris Collinsworth.

People were knocking Chase Brown as slow earlier in the season.  I think he was just hesitant.  He's no speedster but he's got good burst, vision, and contact balance.  He could become a great change of pace back if we actually ran the ball.

Brad Robbins has been a disappointment so far.  That's an upgrade from the bust that he appeared to be in the first few weeks.  There is still hope.  He has looked great at times in warm-ups and he seems close to being able to deliver some game changing kicks.

The good part about Murphy is those things are coachable. Agreed on Battle's film, it looked really good and now you see it in 
the NFL as well, he just isn't that athletic and teams I think at times put too much emphasis on athleticism and not as much on 
just being a good football player with instincts that can tackle.

(12-06-2023, 01:21 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: A "not bad" draft.  Robbins will be in a competition again this off season for a job...whether we draft a punter or not.  Admittedly, I haven't looked at this upcoming draft class for punters, but even if it's a signee that's not drafted, Robbins is going to either step up or step out (of the roster).

TE......wished we had plucked one of the many good ones last draft, but we didn't.  Irv Smith is gone.  If he can't get any catches with Browing at the helm, Burrow isn't going to look his way much.

Again, wished we had plucked higher in this draft for a RB, but we didn't.  Mixon has clearly lost a step or two. He's not dancing around in the backfield as much looking for something to open up.  unless it's a big hole, he's not quick enough to hit the opposing DLs where a hole may open.  Thanks Joe, but we're drafting another RB again next year.

The rest?  Not bad.  Wished Murphy would have asserted himself sooner, but he's coming on a little bit more, now.

We will need to get a replacement for Reader.  I still don't think Tee is going anywhere.  Down year for him.  Unfortunately it was during a contract year.  He'll take a "prove it" extension.

I do like Chase Brown a lot, but we do need to add another RB that can break tackles and can make people miss.

So true that we also need to add a Reader replacement. We cannot let him go without having one.

(12-06-2023, 01:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Robbins hasnt been great. But there are no returns.  His hang time is apparently what they thought.  I would have taken that in the AFCCG last season.  Im guessing his coffin corner kicks have been acceptable as well.

The DJ Turner slander is amateur at best.  He is not, and never will be Sauce, but he is playing the 2nd most difficult position in the NFL and he is a backup thrust into a starting role.  Yes he should have fallen on the fumble and he's been beat a couple times, I've watched Jalen Ramsey get destroyed multiple times in a single game.  Those that cant see DJ's willingness to come up and make hits in the run game and the traits in pass defense says more about them than DJ.

Yeah, no returns is a good thing with Robbins. I do wish he had a bigger leg, but it is what it is and Huber wasn't good his rookie
season either and he is our best Punter of all time. Well said on DJ Turner and his willingness to tackle and how hard he plays.

The way some attack him is ridiculous, like I said earlier, Leon Hall was worse than Turner his rookie season and he turned out 
pretty good. DJ Turner has fluid hips and elite speed, you just cannot coach this up and this is what makes him special. I could
see Turner being a top Corner some day because of these traits.

(12-06-2023, 01:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Good so far.

We're now entering the final quarter of the season, so I'm really hoping we start seeing some more Murphy.
Battle getting the start now at safety is both a testament to his ability but also Nick Scott was just not good, so it made sense to try someone else.
Having Hudson has helped mitigate the lack of draft investment into TE, but I do think we see TE addressed next draft.
I'm not sure if we've seen enough Charlie Jones to say he's worthy of replacing Boyd, but I'm not overly worried about it if he does take that spot going into next season.
Iosivas should become a decent backup outside WR, maybe even a lower end WR2 in the near future based on his growth through the remainder of this season and in the offseason.

I also think we will Draft a TE this next Draft or a WR early. This is why we need to bring in a RT like George Fant in FA.

I do think we might Tag Tee, but that is for only one year. I like Iosivas but I don't know if he is a Tee replacement either.

Between Chuck Sizzle and Iosivas we should have our Boyd replacement. Tee is another level when he is playing well.
Reply/Quote
no reason to draft a TE early when the team has other needs. I think you keep Tanner Hudson and his 3.5 catches for 36 yards. Plus he's cheap

Unless the BPA is a TE, then sure, grab the best

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:55 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I love Mixon and he is a solid runner he gets whats there and runs hard.  I just kinda feel like his limited speed means defenses dont have to stack the box because they aren't afraid he is going to find a seam and punish them with a long TD run.  Chase on the other hand can strike some fear in DCs with his speed.  Also, a fresh Mixon on the goalline and short yardage will be a legit weapon he is very very good at gettin yards in those situations.  

His speed isn't limited, his short area cutting/quickness is not good and acceleration is inconsistent.

But top-end speed, he's not slow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Very clear

Myles has come on slightly

Yoshi has like 2 TDs and is a ST ace

Jones is already a GREAT returner

And Battle is already starting over a vet who has a SB ring

Robbins is the only guy that’s struggling and that is pretty scary because i feel like kickers don’t really improve much over their careers. Hell obviously get better at directional punting but idk how much
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:34 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: After last night we can really see how good of a draft Duke and co put together this year.

ROUND 1- Myles Murphy DE- Full disclosure I preferred Sam LaPorta on draft day and still would rather that have been the pick, BUT Myles is starting to really come on and show flashes of being a game changer.  He is 21 and won't be 22 until next month so his best days are wayyy ahead of him.  At this point his floor looks like a more athletic Sam Hubbard and his ceiling is sky high if he can hone his technique and reach it.

ROUND 2- DJ Turner CB- What a steal this kid was.  Day 1 looked the part of a good corner and will only get better.  The speed, the coverage, the tackling have all been awesome.  I expect with CTB out he will have a few plays where he looks like a rookie but for a late 2nd round pick can't ask for a better performance thus far.

ROUND 3- Jordan Battle S- Another absolute steal.  When we picked this kid I thought well ok special teamer and backup but boy was I wrong.  In only a few starts he's already shown he's gonna be a player for us for many years.  The instincts, the hitting both A from me.  He just seems to always be in on the play in the same way Vonn Bell was.  I can't really speak to his coverage skills yet but I don't notice him much which is probably a good sign.

ROUND 4- Charlie Jones WR- A couple injuries have set him back but when he's played he is already showing to be our best punt returner since Pacman.  I expect next season we will really find out if hes got game if (when) we let Boyd walk and he steps in to a more prominent role in the offense.  Keep in mind he is playing through a torn labrum that needs surgery in the off-season.

ROUND 5- Chase Brown RB- FINALLY THE COACHES LET THIS KID SHOW WHAT HE CAN BRING.  Listen I love Joe Mixon hes been a great Bengal but after last night I think Chase might be the best RB on the roster.  He has speed, juice, seems to read the hole well and oh did I mention SPEED (kinda important when you run out of the shotgun a lot).  If I was the coach from here forward Chase would be the starting RB and Mixon would be the goalline/short yardage back.  Still a lot we have to see to call him a steal but I think its looking like a steal.

ROUND 6-Andrei Iosivas WR- Steal.  6th round is not where you expect to find a WR who looks good as a rookie in a very talented WR room but Duke and co found one.  Yoshi will be good for us for a while and truly the sky is the limit for him.  Tall, long, fast, knows how to scramble and get open when plays get extended.  Very excited for this kids future.

ROUND 6- Brad Robbins P- So far hasn't been good enough.  Might be a miss here we will see if he can step it up.  

ROUND 7- DJ Ivey CB- Can't say I know much about the kid but I heard he was really flashing in camp.  He is on the active roster as a 7th rounder and that alone is quite impressive.  Time will tell if he makes an impact for us.

Overall just a fantastic draft class and when its all said and done might boast 6-7 solid players/starters for us.

Agreed on all fronts.  The only miss was the FA signing (Nick Scott).  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:42 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: If you don't think DJT and Battle have looked about as good as you can expect a rookie to look your standards are way too high.  Both pump out consistent 70s and 80s PFF scores AS ROOKIES.  Hell Marvin used to redshirt these guys.  

EXACTLY!!! Pissed me off to no end
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, rookies look a hell of a lot worse than this most years unless you have really special players that are rare as can be like 
AJ Green or even better Ja'Marr Chase. Corners usually struggle more than DJ Turner has as a rookie, Leon Hall was way worse
as a rookie and he turned out to be a good player for us.

This is a rare Draft class as almost all of them have contributed almost immediately. This is not the norm.

A few Bengals legends that struggled early in their careers:

Andrew Whitworth
Leon Hall
Rudi Johnson (was just not given opportunities)
Jake Browning (struggled in the preseason and pitt game)  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not to mention horrible blocking, screwing over fans at events…

I’m beyond ready to move on from him.

Really?  What did he do?  I hate to hear crap like that
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's bush league. Tee ain't got a deal, and I saw him come outside when the time was up and see the line. He said hell naw, and went back in and signed more. 

Yeah, and how many #3 WRs are getting $10 million a year?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:49 AM)sandwedge Wrote: That is terrible. He doesn't want to be here I don't think. He's kind of been the 3rd wheel awhile...

I thought he was solid last year and was set to really tear up the Cheifs before getting injured.  Not so much this year, though.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:51 AM)Roland Wrote: Mostly agreed, but I fear that Murphy's floor may still be in disappointment territory.  It's still early but he seems to drop responsibilities and get out of position trying to freelance.  If he can't be coached out of that it's not going to work out.  His action is limited but he should be putting a little more on his stat line with those snaps as a first round pick.
Quick point about Murphy.  Dude is FAST.  I forget what QB, maybe Pickett had the outside angle on him and he chased him down from behind (made up ground quickly) and hit him before he got out of bounds.  
At that size, you rarely get speed like that.  If he can learn hand techniques and keep improving his pass rush moves, his ceiling is pretty high.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:52 PM)jason Wrote: Down year or not, I don't think Tee will have to take a prove it deal. In fact I think they'll tag him at least once. There's no reason to let him walk after this year. Couple of tweaks and we could be the best team in the AFC hands down next season.

Very good chance they tag him.  And lucky for him since that assbag agent turned down a really good offer because he felt he could do much better this offseason.  Well, Tee has not been available and hasn't set the world on fire when he has been.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The good part about Murphy is those things are coachable. Agreed on Battle's film, it looked really good and now you see it in 
the NFL as well, he just isn't that athletic and teams I think at times put too much emphasis on athleticism and not as much on 
just being a good football player with instincts that can tackle.

I do like Chase Brown a lot, but we do need to add another RB that can break tackles and can make people miss.

So true that we also need to add a Reader replacement. We cannot let him go without having one.

Yeah, no returns is a good thing with Robbins. I do wish he had a bigger leg, but it is what it is and Huber wasn't good his rookie
season either and he is our best Punter of all time. Well said on DJ Turner and his willingness to tackle and how hard he plays.

The way some attack him is ridiculous, like I said earlier, Leon Hall was worse than Turner his rookie season and he turned out 
pretty good. DJ Turner has fluid hips and elite speed, you just cannot coach this up and this is what makes him special. I could
see Turner being a top Corner some day because of these traits.

I also think we will Draft a TE this next Draft or a WR early. This is why we need to bring in a RT like George Fant in FA.

I do think we might Tag Tee, but that is for only one year. I like Iosivas but I don't know if he is a Tee replacement either.

Between Chuck Sizzle and Iosivas we should have our Boyd replacement. Tee is another level when he is playing well.

Tee is really tough in 50/50 balls with his height and basketball background (knows how to box out without fouling), but I would rather see more quick, elusive weapons that can uncover quickly and not force Burrow to hold the ball.  Not sure if that is Iosivas as an outside receiver, but I don't believe we will need to spend $20 million plus a year on a receiver that has the benefit of Chase on the other side to have solid production.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Showed up like an hour late to a signing, then supposedly whined about not wanting to be there and left early. I don’t know where dude’s head is at this season, but it sure isn’t football.

He was super nice at the meet and greet my son and I bought tickets for.  No idea what went on there.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:22 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very good chance they tag him.  And lucky for him since that assbag agent turned down a really good offer because he felt he could do much better this offseason.  Well, Tee has not been available and hasn't set the world on fire when he has been.  

I feel like this is what will happen.  I don't know if this team has it in them to tag and trade an asset like Tee.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:22 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very good chance they tag him.  And lucky for him since that assbag agent turned down a really good offer because he felt he could do much better this offseason.  Well, Tee has not been available and hasn't set the world on fire when he has been.  

A tag would be outrageously high. Doubt it happens.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: A few Bengals legends that struggled early in their careers:

Andrew Whitworth
Leon Hall
Rudi Johnson (was just not given opportunities)
Jake Browning (struggled in the preseason and pitt game)  Hilarious

Yep, happens all the time with rookies. Some people on here are holding these guy's to an unfair standard.

(12-06-2023, 06:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Quick point about Murphy.  Dude is FAST.  I forget what QB, maybe Pickett had the outside angle on him and he chased him down from behind (made up ground quickly) and hit him before he got out of bounds.  
At that size, you rarely get speed like that.  If he can learn hand techniques and keep improving his pass rush moves, his ceiling is pretty high.  

Saw that and it was impressive. Really like Murphy's upside and it was shown on that play against the stoolers.

He also chased down a fast player in the Jags game and prevented a first down.

We will see, yeah his assbag agent was dumb. Tee won't get near as much after this season.

(12-06-2023, 06:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Tee is really tough in 50/50 balls with his height and basketball background (knows how to box out without fouling), but I would rather see more quick, elusive weapons that can uncover quickly and not force Burrow to hold the ball.  Not sure if that is Iosivas as an outside receiver, but I don't believe we will need to spend $20 million plus a year on a receiver that has the benefit of Chase on the other side to have solid production.  

There are some talented Receivers in this Draft with speed. Might be the way to go especially if we bring in George Fant to play RT.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 07:22 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: A tag would be outrageously high. Doubt it happens.

What are they gonna do with that money instead?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote