Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Its becoming clear we knocked this last draft out of the park
(12-07-2023, 12:14 AM)jason Wrote: What are they gonna do with that money instead?

Think of the FAs you could sign for $27 million. Tee is not worth half that.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:57 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Think of the FAs you could sign for $27 million. Tee is not worth half that.

Ummm yes he is

He’s worth that because he’s a great player
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:57 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Think of the FAs you could sign for $27 million. Tee is not worth half that.

He’s absolutely worth half that. They’re never getting him for anything close to that low though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

I'd pay him 20 mil a year as a floor, but he's probably getting more than that.

And he's MORE than worth it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
For me it's still too early to say they did a great job on the 2023 draft. However I also think the arrow is pointing up towards that direction as opposed to being a bust of a draft, which is a good thing for sure. I would say by this time next season we will know with much more certainty.

In regards of the Robbins, I don't know if they should replace him, but should definitely consider bringing in competition for next camp and preseason.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 01:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'd pay him 20 mil a year as a floor, but he's probably getting more than that.

He and Reader are where we need to start.  They are very necessary.   Jonah Williams next.   I don't think it will be possible, but that's where I want to start.

Then we need to kill the draft
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 01:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'd pay him 20 mil a year as a floor, but he's probably getting more than that.

A WR who is tier 3 tier (nfl.com), 91st in receiving yards, 50th in y/c, 57th in yards/game and will not have a 1,000 season is not worth a franchise tag price.

And for those who want to argue he is hurt feel free to use his per game stats and project possible 17 results, and he still is not a top ten WR.

I like Tee but there are too many options (and draft picks) going forward. Keep the money and start building a decent defense. I can see $20 million but a franchise tag is stretching it.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:07 PM)3wt Wrote: He and Reader are where we need to start.  They are very necessary.   Jonah Williams next.   I don't think it will be possible, but that's where I want to start.

Then we need to kill the draft

Would love to bring back Tee, Reader and Jonah. I just don't think we will be able to afford Jonah as he may be the top RT 
in this FA and he may want to play LT still and might still be a little bitter about how we didn't tell him about Orlando. I think
George Fant or Eluemunor are much more likely in FA.

(12-07-2023, 02:24 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: A WR who is tier 3 tier (nfl.com), 91st in receiving yards, 50th in y/c, 57th in yards/game and will not have a 1,000 season is not worth a franchise tag price.

And for those who want to argue he is hurt feel free to use his per game stats and project possible 17 results, and he still is not a top ten WR.

I like Tee but there are too many options (and draft picks) going forward. Keep the money and start building a decent defense. I can see $20 million but a franchise tag is stretching it.

Tee having an injured and poor year only makes what we have to pay him less. We might actually be able to afford a multi year
contract for him now, yah never know. But we have to bring back Chase no matter what, so I would rather Tag Tee and trade him
or just let him test FA. He is banged up a lot, but he is a class act.

I wasn't for bringing him back for big money before this season because we need to keep the trenches strong and keep Chase 
here for the long term more than anything. But there may be a way to have it all for all I know.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love to bring back Tee, Reader and Jonah. I just don't think we will be able to afford Jonah as he may be the top RT 
in this FA and he may want to play LT still and might still be a little bitter about how we didn't tell him about Orlando. I think
George Fant or Eluemunor are much more likely in FA.

Tee having an injured and poor year only makes what we have to pay him less. We might actually be able to afford a multi year
contract for him now, yah never know. But we have to bring back Chase no matter what, so I would rather Tag Tee and trade him
or just let him test FA. He is banged up a lot, but he is a class act.

I wasn't for bringing him back for big money before this season because we need to keep the trenches strong and keep Chase 
here for the long term more than anything. But there may be a way to have it all for all I know.
I agree with your thoughts. The big problem the Bengals face is if they sign Tee to a large contract how much that might escalate what they will have to pay Chase. Chase will certainly have a case to be paid much more than Tee making the Bengals possibly facing paying a WR tandem $55-60 million a year (much more than the duos of Tyreek Hill/Jaylen Waddle or A.J. Brown/Devonta Smith) They have to focus on keeping Chase any any price. Even if that means letting some guys go.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:52 PM)jason Wrote: Down year or not, I don't think Tee will have to take a prove it deal. In fact I think they'll tag him at least once. There's no reason to let him walk after this year. Couple of tweaks and we could be the best team in the AFC hands down next season.

Could be.  I would make an effort to sign him now when he's had an injury season.  But, a tag next season is a definite if he doesn't sign an extension.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:24 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: A WR who is tier 3 tier (nfl.com), 91st in receiving yards, 50th in y/c, 57th in yards/game and will not have a 1,000 season is not worth a franchise tag price.

I don't buy the whole "trade him for draft picks" routine.  You trade a top tier WR for a bunch of maybes.  Not something I'd do. That gets you into the "always building towards tomorrow" mindset. You got Burrow. Give him top notch tools to work with.

And no....Iosivas is not that guy, nor is Trenton Irvin.

This is the time to extend him.  Unfortunately, his health enters into it.  But, he'll get his big pay day, just not now.  His 3rd contract will be the BIG payday.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 06:37 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I don't buy the whole "trade him for draft picks" routine.  You trade a top tier WR for a bunch of maybes.  Not something I'd do.  That gets you into the "always building towards tomorrow" mindset.  You got Burrow.  Give him top notch tools to work with.

And no....Iosivas is not that guy, nor is Trenton Irvin.

This is the time to extend him.  Unfortunately, his health enters into it.  But, he'll get his big pay day, just not now.  His 3rd contract will be the BIG payday.

Tag and trade is much better than letting him walk.  

I'd be fine if they tagged him and sent out feelers, if what they want is not offered we play him.  

With his agent I could see an extension being difficult.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:52 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I agree with your thoughts. The big problem the Bengals face is if they sign Tee to a large contract how much that might escalate what they will have to pay Chase. Chase will certainly have a case to be paid much more than Tee making the Bengals possibly facing paying a WR tandem $55-60 million a year (much more than the duos of Tyreek Hill/Jaylen Waddle or A.J. Brown/Devonta Smith) They have to focus on keeping Chase any any price. Even if that means letting some guys go.

Chase is waiting on Jefferson's contract, I dont think Tee has any impact.  But yes, keep Chase.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 07:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Chase is waiting on Jefferson's contract, I dont think Tee has any impact.  But yes, keep Chase.
I agree, from Chase's perspective, he will wait for Jefferson's contract. I guess I was looking at it from the Bengals' salary cap perspective. With Burrow, Chase and Tee can they really afford 110+ million for three guys while trying to build a championship team? Those three contracts would represent almost 50% of the $225 million salary cap. Just afraid they might not be able to retain and/or sign FAs in building this team.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:52 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I agree with your thoughts. The big problem the Bengals face is if they sign Tee to a large contract how much that might escalate what they will have to pay Chase. Chase will certainly have a case to be paid much more than Tee making the Bengals possibly facing paying a WR tandem $55-60 million a year (much more than the duos of Tyreek Hill/Jaylen Waddle or A.J. Brown/Devonta Smith) They have to focus on keeping Chase any any price. Even if that means letting some guys go.

Completely agree, have to keep Chase here. That is the only thing I know. Reader also should be coming back for a year or two.

We don't have replacement for him on the roster and it will take a Draft pick at least a year or two to fill his shoes.

(12-07-2023, 07:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tag and trade is much better than letting him walk.  

I'd be fine if they tagged him and sent out feelers, if what they want is not offered we play him.  

With his agent I could see an extension being difficult.

That is where I am at. Tag and trade, at least some feelers, play him if no good offers.

The agent is what makes me the most hesitant in keeping Tee, too bad. Class act and was blocking good last night on top of his skills.

Tee is a great teammate and a Bengals fan, I would hope to extend him, but it might not happen. Chase is the WR we need to keep.
Reply/Quote
Tag and trade or just play him sounds good to me

Trades are really hard when guys are free agents the next year.

Couldn’t imagine getting more than a 2nd

If he was under contract i seriously believe he’d be worth a 1st
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Among RBs this year, Joe Mixon is getting the 20th most yards before contact per rush and the 33rd most yards after contact per rush.

Last year he was 26th before contact and 34th after contact.

He's been below 32nd in yards after contact per carry two years in a row now. There's a limit to how hard of a runner you can be considered when you are consistently bad once contacted. The OL isn't excellent, but Mixon makes them look worse.

- - - - -

As for the OP, unless they're Ja'Marr Chase or Cedric Ogbuehi levels of obviously good or bad, I always think it's pointless to judge picks until at least 2 full years have passed. I'm sure there's plenty of threads in the depths of this board about how great the Bengals draft were mid-rookie-season. Think about how excited some people were for William Jackson, Nick Vigil, and Andrew Billings. plus the usual hype for late WRs like Cody Core.

Best attribute of Joe Mixon is that he very seldom leaves the ball on the ground.  He's very secure with the ball. I'd like to see where he ranks with ball security.  A running back that almost never fumbles is rare..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: Best attribute of Joe Mixon is that he very seldom leaves the ball on the ground.  He's very secure with the ball. I'd like to see where he ranks with ball security.  A running back that almost never fumbles is rare..

Mixon has 6 fumbles in his career... and 3 of those came in his rookie season (2017)

Zero in the last 2 years.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:26 PM)Housh Wrote: Tag and trade or just play him sounds good to me

Trades are really hard when guys are free agents the next year.

Couldn’t imagine getting more than a 2nd

If he was under contract i seriously believe he’d be worth a 1st

I think our fans way overrate Tee.  He is not a Top 10 WR, and I wouldn't be thrilled if he was my team's #1 WR.  He simply isn't fast enough, doesn't separate well, and is injured a lot. 

I not sure why any team would give up a 1st rounder with 5 years of a rookie deal for Tee that will be over 20M?  Why wouldn't they just draft a Top WR?  Chase could get garner a 1st and then some.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 12:23 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Mixon has 6 fumbles in his career... and 3 of those came in his rookie season (2017)

Zero in the last 2 years.

Mixon has always reminded me of Eric Ball.  He is very secure with the ball and rarely gets tackled for a loss, but never averages over 3 YPC and minimal YAC.
Reply/Quote