Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its evident ZT doesn't care what Rd you were drafted
(08-28-2019, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why doesn't that apply to Price who was a 1st Round pick?

Because apparently the coaches like what they see better and don't use last year's performance or draft position as a measuring stick to assign starters this year. Same reason 1st Round pick John Ross is going to be behind UDFA WIllis.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 04:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because apparently the coaches like what they see better and don't use last year's performance or draft position as a measuring stick to assign starters this year. Same reason 1st Round pick John Ross is going to be behind UDFA WIllis.

FYI

Ross is listed as a starter still in 3 WR sets

They have Willis and AJ back up (who will start since AJ is out)
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 03:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Boyd was underperforming and had off the field issues...he clearly was getting the "draft status" treatment from Marvin who played him due to his 2nd round draft status when he could have given the undrafted and late-round guys the chance!

I know that's a popular notion but if it's "draft status" why didn't he give Ross a chance to play in front of Boyd?

I fully understand personnel folks want to commit to people they selected and I doubt Marvin or the Bengals have/had a monopoly on that POV, but there comes a time when you realize your pick didn't work out. We've seen it in numerous high round draft picks throughout Marvin's tenure and ZT seem more willing to give up on the previous regime's pick than his. As I mention he dubbed Jonah the starting LT before he ever put on a pair of NFL should pads and told our current starter "You're moving elsewhere". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 03:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Boyd was underperforming and had off the field issues...he clearly was getting the "draft status" treatment from Marvin who played him due to his 2nd round draft status when he could have given the undrafted and late-round guys the chance!

Boyd had a productive rookie year, so there was production there to warrant him playing.

Marvin did keep Watson last year even though he was outplayed. A disappointed decision.

Will ZT keep Ellis over Trayveon? Ellis was clearly more productive than Trayveon and kept himself available. If ZT is any different on this then Trayveon will be headed to the practice squad while he nurses his booboos. And Ellis will make the 53.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 01:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I just read Ravens have had a UDFA make their roster the last 15 years and ESPN is predicting this year being 16.

I knew Ozzie was a great GM, but I think that is impressive on the GM's part and also I guess Harborough also could care less where a player is drafted.

Every time a UDFA makes a roster a 6th or 7th round pick usually gets cut.  So it is more about luck than good drafting.

The Bengals have had quite a few UDFA that were somewhat productive in recent years (Erickson, Burfict, Redmond, Rey, Hewitt, Lamur, Andrew Hawkins, Hopkins).  We won a division title in '09 with 60% of our starting O-line made up of UDFA (Cook, Livings, Roland).  Wallace Gilberry and Benjarvis Green-Ellis were UDFA but they were with other teams before the Bengals signed them.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 04:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Boyd had a productive rookie year, so there was production there to warrant him playing.

Marvin did keep Watson last year even though he was outplayed. A disappointed decision.

Will ZT keep Ellis over Trayveon? Ellis was clearly more productive than Trayveon and kept himself available. If ZT is any different on this then Trayveon will be headed to the practice squad while he nurses his booboos. And Ellis will make the 53.

I could have included the sarcasm ninja, since I was being facetious.  It's wacky to see so many conclusions and comparisons based upon 0 games of ZT, but hey, I'm all about letting people predict and postulate so have at it.

In all fairness, the WR who got the most disdain for "keeping the young guys off the field" was Brandon LaFell who was really only guilty of being a vet and doing his job...the jerk.
Reply/Quote
The more I think about this situation with Price being beat out (ZT said not injury, but injury did give Hopkins opportunity) for a starting center job, the more I like it. In the past, a guy was injured and it was assumed the starter automatically gets the job back when healthy.

In this case ZT and staff said no, the starter has to prove they deserve to start when healthy. Add in a 1st round pick being benched, it does send a very clear message:
1. Back up work hard and you will be rewarded.
2. Starters, be careful sitting out practice with a hang nail, next guy can steal your job.

I don't see AJ being worried, but I can see our marginal starters every worried if they get nicked up or if they get lazy in practice.

I love it!!!

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 06:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The more I think about this situation with Price being beat out (ZT said not injury, but injury did give Hopkins opportunity) for a starting center job, the more I like it. In the past, a guy was injured and it was assumed the starter automatically gets the job back when healthy.

In this case ZT and staff said no, the starter has to prove they deserve to start when healthy. Add in a 1st round pick being benched, it does send a very clear message:
1. Back up work hard and you will be rewarded.
2. Starters, be careful sitting out practice with a hang nail, next guy can steal your job.

I don't see AJ being worried, but I can see our marginal starters every worried if they get nicked up or if they get lazy in practice.

I love it!!!

So why didn't you love it when Marvin cut established starter George Iloka last year and replaced him with a rookie?

Or when starter Brandon LaFell got cut in training camp for Tyler Boyd?

Or when rookie Giovani Bernard came in and got more touches than established starter Green-Ellis?

Or when starting center Kyle Cook got cut for rookie Russell Bodine?

Or when starter Leon Hall got benched in favor of Adam Jones?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 07:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So why didn't you love it when Marvin cut established starter George Iloka last year and replaced him with a rookie? Loved it

Or when starter Brandon LaFell got cut in training camp for Tyler Boyd? Loved it

Or when rookie Giovani Bernard came in and got more touches than established starter Green-Ellis?  [b]Loved it[/b]

Or when starting center Kyle Cook got cut for rookie Russell Bodine? [b]Loved it[/b]

Or when starter Leon Hall got benched in favor of Adam Jones? [b]Loved it[/b]

Said Leon should be cut/restructured years before he was no longer a Bengal

I anticipate rookies (high 2nd and 3rd round) draft picks taking roster spots from vets. Rarely do we cut any player drafted in round 5 or below. Elliott was an exception. I anticipate it.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 05:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I could have included the sarcasm ninja, since I was being facetious.  It's wacky to see so many conclusions and comparisons based upon 0 games of ZT, but hey, I'm all about letting people predict and postulate so have at it.

In all fairness, the WR who got the most disdain for "keeping the young guys off the field" was Brandon LaFell who was really only guilty of being a vet and doing his job...the jerk.

I agree with you. LaFell simply out played the young guys and finally he gave way to Boyd, but it took a couple of years.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 03:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How do we know that Price isn't 100%?

Has he never been 100% as a Bengal?

It's a Bengals fan thing. Someone mentions that they believe his ankle still isn't healed and all of the sudden, it's gospel. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 07:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So why didn't you love it when Marvin cut established starter George Iloka last year and replaced him with a rookie?

Or when starter Brandon LaFell got cut in training camp for Tyler Boyd?

Or when rookie Giovani Bernard came in and got more touches than established starter Green-Ellis?

Or when starting center Kyle Cook got cut for rookie Russell Bodine?

Or when starter Leon Hall got benched in favor of Adam Jones?

Kyle Cook was cut before the draft do they drafted Bodine n penciled him as the starter , ugh what a disaster

Adam Jones was an established vet who was younger n better than Leon. We are talking about rookies taking over vets spots here.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 12:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's a Bengals fan thing. Someone mentions that they believe his ankle still isn't healed and all of the sudden, it's gospel. 

Like Ross , he’s been injured for 2 years so next year is essentially his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ZT doesn't care what round folks were drafted before he got here.

NEW DEY......GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 03:35 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Adam Jones was an established vet who was younger n better than Leon.  We are talking about rookies taking over vets spots here.

Like Bates just last year.

Amazing what poor memories some people have.

"Marvin NEVER did anything like this!"
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hey, it's better than what I got. The funny thing is last year it had John Ross and I changed it (well someone smart did it for me) to Boyd. Glad I didn't ask for a Jonah update after this draft. Maybe I should scrap the Young Guns theme. Maybe work something into Longshots with Willis and Hopkins:

[Image: v1.bTsxMTMxMTI3MTtqOzE4MjIwOzEyMDA7MTQ5NDsxOTky]

A solid decision when you realize that Dennard will be in his age 28 season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am just really impressed that ZT doesn't care about resume of draft position. He only cares who the best players are. Finally something to help shed the same old Bengals label.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 06:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: I am just really impressed that ZT doesn't care about resume of draft position. He only cares who the best players are. Finally something to help shed the same old Bengals label.

In the honeymoon phase, it is all wonderful.

His decisions will be scrutinized  soon and winning keeps the honeymoon going. If we start losing, then the hate will follow for our new guy.

I hope he is making the right decisions, not just decisions liked because many felt ML would have done it differently. I get it though, fans need the perception things will and are different from ML.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 06:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: I am just really impressed that ZT doesn't care about resume of draft position. He only cares who the best players are. Finally something to help shed the same old Bengals label.

I'll have an easier time believing this if he makes John Ross play tonight instead of just having him start in Seattle. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 06:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll have an easier time believing this if he makes John Ross play tonight instead of just having him start in Seattle. 

I would love to see Ross on the field tonight to send a message. But I doubt it happens. Or does it? Sure there's an interview which says hes not playing tonight.

Reply/Quote