Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
JB press conference
(06-15-2022, 08:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No they don't. They should leave it alone. 

Exactly! But in just about every news organization website this morning, there is a headline "Joe Burrow supports more gun control." They are using him, it's going to turn a lot of people away from him, and it should stop. 

I don't want to get into this topic, as it is not allowed. I'll just say if the reporters want to dig into something and actually do their jobs, they should look into how a guy working at Wendy's was able to get these guns. Not how he was able to legally buy them, but how he was able to afford them. He had a high-end Daniel Defense AR, handguns, etc. that would total close to 10 thousand dollars retail. Are they going to tell us he did that making 8 dollars an hour?
(06-15-2022, 09:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly! But in just about every news organization website this morning, there is a headline "Joe Burrow supports more gun control." They are using him, it's going to turn a lot of people away from him, and it should stop. 

I don't want to get into this topic, as it is not allowed. I'll just say if the reporters want to dig into something and actually do their jobs, they should look into how a guy working at Wendy's was able to get these guns. Not how he was able to legally buy them, but how he was able to afford them. He had a high-end Daniel Defense AR, handguns, etc. that would total close to 10 thousand dollars retail. Are they going to tell us he did that making 8 dollars an hour?

That was my first question. How the hell does an 18 year old fresh out of H.S. walk in and purchase guns worth thousands of dollars ?

We need to hear from Paul Harvey on this one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-15-2022, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You do, you have to pass an FBI background check, to purchase any gun through a dealer.

This unfortunately isn't true..

But I won't get into it here cause it's not the place. Taking politics out of it most Americans agree with Burrow and making sure there are checks and balances to purchasing weapons meant to kill shouldn't be a "hot take" or controversial. But that is where we are as a country. Why ask athlete's anything some may disagree with.... It certainly is okay when celebrities and athletes say what certain sides agree with, but when they don't it's "shut up and dribble".

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(06-15-2022, 10:08 AM)jj22 Wrote: This unfortunately isn't true..

But I won't get into it here cause it's not the place. Taking politics out of it most Americans agree with Burrow and making sure there are checks and balances to purchasing weapons meant to kill shouldn't be a "hot take" or controversial. But that is where we are as a country.  Why ask athlete's anything some may disagree with.... It certainly is okay when celebrities and athletes say what certain sides agree with, but when they don't it's "shut up and dribble".

Unfortunately, that clip is wrong. That was not a legal purchase, you have to be 18 to buy a long gun legally. So the video is a false narrative.
(06-15-2022, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Classic example of the someone who is not all that well informed on a subject being trapped into a soundbite. "You shouldn't be able to walk in there and buy one, you should have to go through a rigorous process." You do, you have to pass an FBI background check, to purchase any gun through a dealer. Why in the heck are they asking a football player about Constitutional issues anyway?

I think he was complaining about the fact that anyone can buy a gun from a private seller with no back ground check at all.
(06-15-2022, 10:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think he was complaining about the fact that anyone can buy a gun from a private seller with no back ground check at all.

True, but the point remains, that sale broke the law. There will always be people willing to break the law. They are called criminals.
(06-15-2022, 01:17 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: From legislators, sure. Reporters can **** off otherwise.

Ben Baby is the worst. Dude asks questions so he can increase his clout and gain more social media follows/influence. He knows exactly what he's doing. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(06-15-2022, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Classic example of the someone who is not all that well informed on a subject being trapped into a soundbite. "You shouldn't be able to walk in there and buy one, you should have to go through a rigorous process." You do, you have to pass an FBI background check, to purchase any gun through a dealer. Why in the heck are they asking a football player about Constitutional issues anyway?

Right? Like what is the point of asking this question? The shootings happened weeks ago at this point, it's not even like it happened yesterday and its front page news. 
(06-15-2022, 10:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ben Baby is the worst. Dude asks questions so he can increase his clout and gain more social media follows/influence. He knows exactly what he's doing. 

I agree... Baby is an absolute ass clown. I'm a laid back dude and believe in freedom of the press, but Ben Baby deserves someone spitting in his face for such a Dbag, selfish question that is COMPLETELY out of the blue and COMPLETELY unrelated to football. A total ambush question. He asked it for his own personal gain. No one should give a rip about Joey B's views on guns. As he stated: That's not his job.

I loved his answer. Absolutely nailed it... But Baby was trying to set himself up for notoriety by trying to set Joe up with a click bait question where the only answer is complicated - to where people can cut the answer up into snippets to make whatever headlines they wish.

Ben Baby deserves drinks pourd over his head any time he's caught out at any local Cincinnati restaurant for that absolute Douche Bag question.
(06-15-2022, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Unfortunately, that clip is wrong. That was not a legal purchase, you have to be 18 to buy a long gun legally. So the video is a false narrative.

Actually, if the "private seller" (as they refer to him) does not meet the threshold to be considered a dealer, then he doesn't need to be licensed, which means the minimum purchase age doesn't apply.  For long guns, that only applies to licensed dealers.  Separately, Federal law establishes a minimum age for possession of handguns, but not long guns.

ATF guidance on licensing:
https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download
ATF guidance on long gun age requirements
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-customer-have-be-certain-age-buy-firearms-or-ammunition-licensee
ATF guidance on unlicensed transfers
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca
(06-15-2022, 11:32 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I agree... Baby is an absolute ass clown. I'm a laid back dude and believe in freedom of the press, but Ben Baby deserves someone spitting in his face for such a Dbag, selfish question that is COMPLETELY out of the blue and COMPLETELY unrelated to football. A total ambush question. He asked it for his own personal gain. No one should give a rip about Joey B's views on guns. As he stated: That's not his job.

I loved his answer. Absolutely nailed it... But Baby was trying to set himself up for notoriety by trying to set Joe up with a click bait question where the only answer is complicated - to where people can cut the answer up into snippets to make whatever headlines they wish.

Ben Baby deserves drinks pourd over his head any time he's caught out at any local Cincinnati restaurant for that absolute Douche Bag question.

Ever since Joe was drafted he has indicated that he cares about social issue and will comment on them.

Sorry if this makes some of you feel uncomfortable, but any person who cares about society should be allowed to use his voice to express his opinion.  I do it.  I don't know why Joe should feel that he is not allowed to.

Stop trying to cancel Burrows freedom of speech.
(06-15-2022, 11:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ever since Joe was drafted he has indicated that he cares about social issue and will comment on them.

Sorry if this makes some of you feel uncomfortable, but any person who cares about society should be allowed to use his voice to express his opinion.  I do it.  I don't know why Joe should feel that he is not allowed to.

Stop trying to cancel Burrows freedom of speech.

I think you're missing our point. 

We don't have a problem with Joe talking about it - we have a problem with Ben Baby asking it and his motive behind asking it. This isn't the first time he's done something like this. He knows what gets picked up on outside of the local market to increase his exposure and he asks questions to do just that. The guy is the worst. 
The true story is the Bates comment and how much pull does JB really have... I guess we will see. That seemed like a very in-depth answer. Not the typical I understand the business of it all and it's none of mine type answer we get. Especially for a player on the opposite side of the team (defense).

(06-15-2022, 12:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think you're missing our point. 

We don't have a problem with Joe talking about it - we have a problem with Ben Baby asking it and his motive behind asking it. This isn't the first time he's done something like this. He knows what gets picked up on outside of the local market to increase his exposure and he asks questions to do just that. The guy is the worst. 

Okay then.  Stop trying to cancel Ben Baby's freedom of speech.

Athletes are just people.  They have opinions on all sorts of things.  Personally, I don't let their freedom of speech bother me.    For example, I always think it is silly when religious athletes talk like God is somehow involved in football games, but I don't get offended or upset with them for saying stuff like that.  They are allowed to have opinions as long as it does not affect what they do on the field.

Yep click bait shock jock kinda stuff. Hate that shit. 

Gulp

Bates is as good as gone. Too many players to pay starting next year and we have his replacement. JB just going to have to understand the business. Bates or Higgins?

(06-15-2022, 01:11 PM)jj22 Wrote:
Gulp

Bates is as good as gone. Too many players to pay starting next year and we have his replacement. JB just going to have to understand the business. Bates or Higgins?

Yikes

He'll probably play on the tag this season and that will be it. Like you say you just can't have top pay players at every position. 
i like seeing the Steelers spend that much money on a safety.
(06-15-2022, 12:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: The true story is the Bates comment and how much pull does JB really have... I guess we will see. That seemed like a very in-depth answer. Not the typical I understand the business of it all and it's none of mine type answer we get. Especially for a player on the opposite side of the team (defense).

Unfortunately, Bates just got a LOT more expensive this morning.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34096621/pittsburgh-steelers-make-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety-nfl-history

His asking price is now probably 19M AAV.

The job of a reporter is to ask questions that will generate a response that is story-worthy. It was a legitimate question to ask Joe, considering that he has spoken freely in the past about social issues such as this.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.