Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
JB press conference
(06-15-2022, 01:56 PM)pally Wrote: The job of a reporter is to ask questions that will generate a response that is story-worthy. It was a legitimate question to ask Joe, considering that he has spoken freely in the past about social issues such as this.  

Agreed.

Reporters should be able to ask anything they want.

Players should be able to answer or not answer if they want.

Joe chose to answer, and I thought his answer was fine.
(06-15-2022, 01:39 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Unfortunately, Bates just got a LOT more expensive this morning.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34096621/pittsburgh-steelers-make-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety-nfl-history

His asking price is now probably 19M AAV.

Personally, I wish they would try to deal Bates prior to the season. Get some draft capital for next year and free up that money to use elsewhere. I like Jessie, but no way I want to pay him 18-20 per year.
(06-15-2022, 02:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Personally, I wish they would try to deal Bates prior to the season. Get some draft capital for next year and free up that money to use elsewhere. I like Jessie, but no way I want to pay him 18-20 per year.

Agreed... Unfortunately they've gotta get him to sign something before they can even do that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-15-2022, 02:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Personally, I wish they would try to deal Bates prior to the season. 

We have one of the best chances ever to win it all this year.  No way we should trade away one of our best players and make the team weaker this year just to maybe help in the future.

With this team the future is now.
(06-15-2022, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have one of the best chances ever to win it all this year.  No way we should trade away one of our best players and make the team weaker this year just to maybe help in the future.

I think there's zero chance they sign him to a long term deal, and it's no guarantee that he will even play under the tag. Even if he does though, I'd rather not have this lingering for another year, especially since Jessie admitted to being distracted by it last season.
(06-15-2022, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay then.  Stop trying to cancel Ben Baby's freedom of speech.

Athletes are just people.  They have opinions on all sorts of things.  Personally, I don't let their freedom of speech bother me.    For example, I always think it is silly when religious athletes talk like God is somehow involved in football games, but I don't get offended or upset with them for saying stuff like that.  They are allowed to have opinions as long as it does not affect what they do on the field.

Personally, I don't let their freedom of speech bother me. 

Yet you clearly do. You are clearly bothered by what I said about Ben Baby. You are clearly trying to cancel MY freedom of speech. 

We could do this all day, Fred. Please just take your hypocritical takes elsewhere.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(06-15-2022, 01:39 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Unfortunately, Bates just got a LOT more expensive this morning.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34096621/pittsburgh-steelers-make-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety-nfl-history

His asking price is now probably 19M AAV.

Bates isn't an all pro and he didn't come close to playing like one this year. He doesnt deserve all pro money, these two aren't comparable. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(06-15-2022, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have one of the best chances ever to win it all this year.  No way we should trade away one of our best players and make the team weaker this year just to maybe help in the future.

Joe Burrow made a heartfelt point about Bates being invaluable in terms of his contribution to the locker room. He mentioned a dollar value can be placed on his work on the field, but not on his locker room presence, which Burrow clearly holds in high regard. If Bates were traded because of money it would not play well in the locker room. Nor with Burrow.
(06-14-2022, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, ofc he’s going to say pay Bates. He’s a good leader and teammate. But he’s also going to want Tee and Chase paid as well. And probably secretly even more so.

Also - shame on you for “Burrows” Gaah

I hope they can keep both Higgins and Chase but I doubt it. Both guys are going to be worth 20 Million at the very least(Chase will Probably 30 million and Higgins at 25 Million).

Also I believe Burrow can make a WR better than what they actually are.  Does Burrow need 2 superstar  Wrs for this offense to be elite?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(06-15-2022, 02:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: Joe Burrow made a heartfelt point about Bates being invaluable in terms of his contribution to the locker room. He mentioned a dollar value can be placed on his work on the field, but not on his locker room presence, which Burrow clearly holds in high regard. If Bates were traded because of money it would not play well in the locker room. Nor with Burrow.

Even the players who have been very vocal about supporting Jessie, like Hilton, Reader, etc...have all said they also understand it's a business. 
(06-15-2022, 02:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You are clearly trying to cancel MY freedom of speech. 

"Disagreeing with" does not equal "cancel".

Saying a reporter should not ask a certain question is the very definition of "cancel".

So wipe the tears off your victim card and put it away.
(06-15-2022, 02:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bates isn't an all pro and he didn't come close to playing like one this year. He doesnt deserve all pro money, these two aren't comparable. 

That's the argument that the Bengals will use and that's why Bates won't sign, because he disagrees.
(06-15-2022, 04:20 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's the argument that the Bengals will use and that's why Bates won't sign, because he disagrees.

Only problem is that in 2020 Bengals were putting Bates all over their social media as "the best safety in the NFL" and basically making him the face of the franchise on defense.
(06-15-2022, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only problem is that in 2020 Bengals were putting Bates all over their social media as "the best safety in the NFL" and basically making him the face of the franchise on defense.

And then 2021 came along and his stats were not great until the playoffs....
"Hey a Joe Burrow thread."
Guns and the contract for a Steelers safety.
Going to see if the Tee Higgins thread is about fuel prices and Deshaun Watson
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
I wonder why they didn't ask JB about his thoughts on abortion...

Asking him that question was about as relevant as asking Ted Cruz his thoughts on the Cover-2 defense.

Both the reporter and the NFL should be ashamed of themselves..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-15-2022, 11:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ever since Joe was drafted he has indicated that he cares about social issue and will comment on them.

Sorry if this makes some of you feel uncomfortable, but any person who cares about society should be allowed to use his voice to express his opinion.  I do it.  I don't know why Joe should feel that he is not allowed to.

Stop trying to cancel Burrows freedom of speech.

WTF are you talking about? WTF... kind of garbage is coming from your brain out into your fingers and onto your keyboard? You are LOOKING to clutch at your pearls, kiddo. That's soooooo WEAK IN THE MIND.

I love that Joe has takes and speaks out on social issues. Always have. And, yes, Joe Burrow has every right to free speech as anyone else i the USA. He can speak on or say... or not say whatever he wishes. Not in anything I typed did I infer to, hint at, or intimate the contrary. Same for Ben Baby.

What I did say was that it was a low life question for the reporter to ask in that setting: At the tail end of a post practice press conference. It's a complete ambush thing to do and was wayyyy off topic of the interview. THAT is what I said. This bullshit you're trying to tack on there is (shocker here) just another thing in the long line of moronic shit you type on here.

Now, I'm not going to call you any more names, but I will point out that the kind of people consistantly say moronic things tend to be MORONS.

WTF are you talking about, dude? BTW.... care to tell us all more about how Burrow can't throw the deep ball and is inaccurate past 15 yards? God your takes are just pathetic at this point. Go find yourself another bottle to crawl into.
(06-15-2022, 01:56 PM)pally Wrote: The job of a reporter is to ask questions that will generate a response that is story-worthy. It was a legitimate question to ask Joe, considering that he has spoken freely in the past about social issues such as this.  

No, it isn't. If it was that broad, then reporters would just ask wild things all the time to illicit responses for headlines.

The report's job is to ask questions relevant to the setting: The person's profession or on the person being interviewed's actions or history. Ben Baby's question was grossly out of bounds and had nothing to do with anything related to Joe Burrow or anything Joe Burrow has spoken about or taken action on.

My father worked at DDN for nearly 30 years with reporters and I have 3 clients who are retired sports reporters. One in a HOF for it.  That was an absolutely out of bounds, gasoline fire question and that Ben Baby knew... or should have known... what he was doing by asking it.
(06-15-2022, 05:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And then 2021 came along and his stats were not great until the playoffs....

A playoff run that lead us to the Superbowl!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(06-15-2022, 10:15 PM)J24 Wrote: A playoff run that lead us to the Superbowl!

A direct result of his play.