Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
JB press conference
(06-16-2022, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of people are ill informed when it comes to what it takes to purchase a firearm, because they get their information from the news. They published a story about an emergency physician yesterday talking about the total devastation to the body that "assault weapons" cause. I'd have loved to be in the reporter pool and asked him how he discerns an AR-15 wound from a .223 bolt action rifle wound. Or how he discerns an AR-10 wound from a .308 hunting rifle wound. A lot of people are just purely ignorant on the subject, and Mr. "A 9mm will blow your lung out of your body" is the worst of all.

There's so much misinformation, talk by the uninformed, and outright lies out there about firearms it's not even funny. Like you say they believe AR 15's are the most powerful weapons ever invented and they possess some magical devastating killing power.

I'll never forget an article by Bonnie Erbe back during the D.C. sniper tragedy, early 00's. That article had so much misinformation in it, it was comical. She said "the AR 15 in .223 was the preferred weapon of snipers." "The killing power of this weapon is way beyond anything else." Just on and on. Her article made about as much sense as me trying to give a lecture to doctors on open heart surgery. But people eat it up and quote it as truth.

People believe the movies. They see an actor dive behind a couch and the villain is 8 feet away with a full auto AK and he dumps a whole mag into the couch and the hero pops up, untouched, with a 9mm handgun and it knocks the villain out into the other room with one shot. Because you know that fabric and wood of a couch will totally stop the 7.62x39 round from point blank range. And the 9mm has the killing power of the 454 casull in the right hands.

I could go on and on but I'll shut up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-16-2022, 08:34 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If Joe says he supports the right to bear arms, he likely is getting rail roaded by the media.

That is exactly what he said. He did not call for the banning of these weapons.

Too much knee jerk reaction on issues like abortion and gun rights.
Comparing what Del Rio said to Burrows comments is ridiculous.

The NFL is no different from any other business. They have a right to control their public image. To claim that all "political" comments are the same completely ignores this fact. If you are a white supremacist, holocaust denier, or dismissive of what happened on 1-6 then you need to keep your opinions to yourself or suffer the consequences. That is the way it works at pretty much every job where you are representing your employer to the public.
(06-16-2022, 11:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Comparing what Del Rio said to Burrows comments is ridiculous.

The NFL is no different from any other business. They have a right to control their public image.  To claim that all "political" comments are the same completely ignores this fact. If you are a white supremacist, holocaust denier, or dismissive of what happened on 1-6 then you need to keep your opinions to yourself or suffer the consequences. That is the way it works at pretty much every job where you are representing your employer to the public.

Do you ever actually read what you type? They are exactly the same, they are political and divisive. 

You call someone's analogy "ridiculous" then jump to mentioning white supremacy and The Holocaust..

WTS, this is my last comment on the matter; it's distracting from this sports related sub-forum
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-16-2022, 12:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you ever actually read what you type? They are exactly the same, they are political and divisive. 

You still don't get it.  "Divisive" is not the issue with this.  The NFL does not care if it silences people like white supremacists, holocaust deniers, and people who are dismissive of the attempt to overturn the election.  They will do what is best for their public image.  They are not a government.  They are a private business.
(06-14-2022, 03:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not sure if this goes here or media vault ?

And I've still never mastered imbedding if somebody can. I just found it pretty interesting what Joe said about Jesse Bates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BClddnAEVw

Well with Minka Fitzpatrick's contract that he just got I just don't know how we pay the next great Franchise QB in himself, Tee
Higgins, Ja'Marr Chase and Jessie Bates. Have to sacrifice somewhere and Safety would probably be the one position that would
hurt us the least at this moment with us Drafting Daxton Hill and Tycen Anderson. Completely understand Burrow though.

Jessie is a damn good player and was a big part in us getting to the SuperBowl this year but he is also inconsistent over his 
career especially in tackling.
(06-16-2022, 09:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most states in the union a person can buy a gun from another private party without a background check.  In some states this even applies at gun shows.  Licensed gun dealers have to perform background checks, but private sellers to not.  But even in the states where there is a requirement there is no way to enforce the law because guns are not registered to specific owners.

Burrow was dead on with his answer.  Don't ban guns.  Just make some laws to keep them out of the wrong hands.

We should do that with drugs as well....... oh, wait. Ninja
(06-16-2022, 03:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We should do that with drugs as well....... oh, wait. Ninja

We do do that with drugs.  Everyone knows drugs are a problem so we make laws to punish the people who traffic them.

So why shouldn't we do the same with guns?
(06-16-2022, 10:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's so much misinformation, talk by the uninformed, and outright lies out there about firearms it's not even funny. Like you say they believe AR 15's are the most powerful weapons ever invented and they possess some magical devastating killing power.

I'll never forget an article by Bonnie Erbe back during the D.C. sniper tragedy, early 00's. That article had so much misinformation in it, it was comical. She said "the AR 15 in .223 was the preferred weapon of snipers." "The killing power of this weapon is way beyond anything else." Just on and on. Her article made about as much sense as me trying to give a lecture to doctors on open heart surgery. But people eat it up and quote it as truth.

People believe the movies. They see an actor dive behind a couch and the villain is 8 feet away with a full auto AK and he dumps a whole mag into the couch and the hero pops up, untouched, with a 9mm handgun and it knocks the villain out into the other room with one shot. Because you know that fabric and wood of a couch will totally stop the 7.62x39 round from point blank range. And the 9mm has the killing power of the 454 casull in the right hands.

Remember the tv reporter who went to the range and fired an AR, then wrote about the massive recoil and muzzle blast that left him with PTSD? You can't make that crap up. Imagine my disappointment when I fired my first AR-15 at night, after watching "Predator" with Arnold's AR throwing  5 foot flames out of each port from the flash suppressor.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
The amount of hate that Ben Baby has received on social media and by some on here has been insane.

This notion that football reporters / players can only talk about football and nothing else is just weird as hell to me.

I like to know what players think about things, what they do away from the football field, etc...and I like reporters who don't just stick to a boring ass script and ask questions that aren't just football related.

For those that are pissed because Baby asked a non-football question...do you also get as pissed when reporters ask players about what they like to eat, or about playing video games, or what music they listen to, or who's the best dressers on the team? 

I usually try to hold my tongue on these kinds of topics, but this whole thing has just been embarrassing as shit to watch.
(06-16-2022, 10:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's so much misinformation, talk by the uninformed, and outright lies out there about firearms it's not even funny. Like you say they believe AR 15's are the most powerful weapons ever invented and they possess some magical devastating killing power.

(06-16-2022, 03:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember the tv reporter who went to the range and fired an AR, then wrote about the massive recoil and muzzle blast that left him with PTSD? You can't make that crap up. Imagine my disappointment when I fired my first AR-15 at night, after watching "Predator" with Arnold's AR throwing  5 foot flames out of each port from the flash suppressor.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

I don't see what any of this has to do with gun control regulations.  You can cry about "misinformation" all you want but the fact is that AR-15's were designed to kill people and we have all seen a lot of people killed by them.

I agree that the big issue is not banning AR-15's.  But it is kind of strange to hear people act like AR-15s are not used by a lot of mass killers for the specific reason that they were designed specifically for mass killing.
(06-16-2022, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The amount of hate that Ben Baby has received on social media and by some on here has been insane.

This notion that football reporters / players can only talk about football and nothing else is just weird as hell to me.

I like to know what players think about things, what they do away from the football field, etc...and I like reporters who don't just stick to a boring ass script and ask questions that aren't just football related.

For those that are pissed because Baby asked a non-football question...do you also get as pissed when reporters ask players about what they like to eat, or about playing video games, or what music they listen to, or who's the best dressers on the team? 

I usually try to hold my tongue on these kinds of topics, but this whole thing has just been embarrassing as shit to watch.

https://effectiviology.com/false-equivalence/
Quote:False equivalence is a logical fallacy that occurs when someone incorrectly asserts that two or more things are equivalent, simply because they share some characteristics, despite the fact that there are also notable differences between them. For example, a false equivalence is saying that cats and dogs are the same animal, since they’re both mammals and have a tail.

I get using a term such as "hate" appeals to emotion, but my comments are more to the journalistic integrity and the hypocrisy of the NFL given the reactions and fines of what Del Rio said was his favorite food.....

I apologize if you somehow find that point of view "embarrassing"..

(06-16-2022, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://effectiviology.com/false-equivalence/

Do you want reporters to just ask football related questions or not?

If you're OK with them asking non-football related questions, then either you give them the freedom to ask whatever they want or you limit their freedom to only ask what certain people think is 'acceptable'.

Personally, I'm for them asking whatever question they want...and allowing the player to answer or not answer if they want. 
(06-16-2022, 04:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Do you want reporters to just ask football related questions or not?

If you're OK with them asking non-football related questions, then either you give them the freedom to ask whatever they want or you limit their freedom to only ask what is some people feel is acceptable.

Personally, I'm for them asking whatever question they want...and allowing the player to answer or not answer if they want. 

For real? No where did I say their "Freedoms should be limited". I said he should be embarrassed for asking such a decisive politically charged questions on the heels of The Del Rio matter.  JB easily could have said something to embarrass himself or the organization. Say the wrong thing and subject him to fines and suspensions. 

If you cannot see the difference between that and asking him what his favorite food; then we just differ. Doesn't make one or the other "embarrassing". 

Look at it like this:

We have 2 sub-forums on this board. One about food and drink and one about politics and religion. As an administrator do you have to police both similarly or does one provide me quotes that require moderation. If your answer is the "same" then they're the same

(06-16-2022, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For real? No where did I say their "Freedoms should be limited". I said he should be embarrassed for asking such a decisive politically charged questions on the heels of The Del Rio matter.  JB easily could have said something to embarrass himself or the organization. Say the wrong thing and subject him to fines and suspensions. 

If you cannot see the difference between that and asking him what his favorite food; then we just differ. Doesn't make one or the other "embarrassing". 

So, you agree Baby had the right to ask the question and Burrow had the right to answer or not?

You might not have liked the question, but just because it's a divisive topic doesn't mean it's off limits to ask a football player their opinion about, especially considering Joe hasn't shied away from speaking on social issues in the past. 
(06-16-2022, 04:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, you agree Baby had the right to ask the question and Burrow had the right to answer or not?

You might not have liked the question, but just because it's a divisive topic doesn't mean it's off limits to ask a football player their opinion about, especially considering Joe hasn't shied away from speaking on social issues in the past. 

Of course, he had the right and I have 0 idea where I ever indicated otherwise. It seems that's just something folks made up in their heads.

WTS, I'd have absolutely no issue if Liz Blackburn told him to leave his questions about divisive politics at the door when he comes into our facility to talk to our players or he's no longer welcome in our facility to talk to our players. And I damn sure wouldn't consider it embarrassing if she did. 

(06-16-2022, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  but my comments are more to the journalistic integrity and the hypocrisy of the NFL given the reactions and fines of what Del Rio said was his favorite food.....

There is not "hypocrisy".

You keep trying to act like the only reason Del Rio was fined was because his comments were "political".  That just is not true.  It is about the "content" not the fact that it was "political".  

The NFL does want citizens to know that they support regulations that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and mentally ill people.  

The NFL does NOT want citizens to think they believe the effort to overturn a valid election was "just a dustup".
(06-16-2022, 03:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We do do that with drugs.  Everyone knows drugs are a problem so we make laws to punish the people who traffic them.

So why shouldn't we do the same with guns?

We already do have laws against trafficking firearms. Those that break the law ignore them just like the drug laws. That's why they are criminals. Placing more laws on law abiding people does not affect those who break the law. 
(06-16-2022, 03:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see what any of this has to do with gun control regulations.  You can cry about "misinformation" all you want but the fact is that AR-15's were designed to kill people and we have all seen a lot of people killed by them.

I agree that the big issue is not banning AR-15's.  But it is kind of strange to hear people act like AR-15s are not used by a lot of mass killers for the specific reason that they were designed specifically for mass killing.

Every rifle ever invented, from the first matchlocks, to the flintlocks, to muskets all the way up to the modern sporting arms are designed to kill. An AR is no different than any other semi-automatic rifle. 
Team, let's not go down the rabbit hole of discussing gun rights here. I've tried to keep my comments apolitical and more on the practice of asking our players political questions after a team workout in our facility.