Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(08-16-2021, 06:53 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Turner should not have been hired and then should have been fired immediately after first year

This 100%

We could've retained Bill Callahan but he went to the Browns last year and their offensive line flourished as a result and we kept Turner for another year and blew it once again.

I would've loved to have Bill Callahan the most. Pollock learned under him.
Reply/Quote

Jackson still at third string after last Saturday's performance. Good to see Smith getting first team reps. Talk about a nice surprise!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 06:53 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Turner should not have been hired and then should have been fired immediately after first year,

but then we probably would not have Pollack now though.

To your first point, this is the issue with a really young head coach, even if they light it up in the interview ('cause you don't have much else to go on), they don't have a very big Rolodex (imagining that anyone actually has Rolodexes anymore).  Once Taylor couldn't get his first choice, he probably didn't have many options for second choice.

Once the Turner hire was made, you get into career psychology.  As someone trying to hire quality personnel, you don't want to have a reputation of throwing people under the bus.  Even though Turner should've had tread marks from his ankles to his forehead by the end of the first season, Taylor (probably at least thinks he) has to give him the chance to "establish his system."

I am curious, if anyone actually knows this, who made the decision to fire Turner?  Was it Taylor - I sincerely hope so, as it would at least show growth on his part as a head coach - or was he told to fire him?
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 09:35 PM)pally Wrote:

Good to see
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:56 PM)GodFather Wrote: The real question is why he was even hired here in the first place with his track record never mind staying for 2 seasons?

It was just a hurried dumb hire by Zac just coming off of the SuperBowl....

He knew the guy. Should of fired him after his first season sucking. Pollack should of never left but thank God came back.

I am not going to cry about Turner anymore, like what Pollack is doing.
Reply/Quote

Love Jackson's work ethic, think he will be very good for us. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love Jackson's work ethic, think he will be very good for us. Smirk

Well from the information out his lack dedication coming into camp ie weight and preparation cost him early so hopefully things have changed and he gets better results.
Reply/Quote
If Smith plays anything like he did Saturday, in the next two weeks, he's a staring G on opening day. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Smith plays anything like he did Saturday, in the next two weeks, he's a staring G on opening day. 

Is Smith really playing that well or are  Carmen , Jordan and all the others just not playing that great? 
Been hearing great thigs about Smith but he was  a 4th round , under weight rookie tackle, with alot of "upside"  is how he was described. 
Playing the WFT next week...it would be great to see how Smith holds up against Payne, Allen, Young , Sweat and Co. 
Reply/Quote
Was MJ given reps at C in camp? They have the most bodies that will be hard cuts at guard, drafted two tackles and moved them to guard. MJ played C at OSU, and if he were to beat out Price it justifies keeping him as the backup C over cutting a XSF (if he gets leaped by Carman or MJ).
Reply/Quote
I will say the OT many folks wanted to sign in RD 2 before we traded back has not played a snap all PS and his team just signed 46 year old Jason Peters..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 07:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: This 100%

We could've retained Bill Callahan but he went to the Browns last year and their offensive line flourished as a result and we kept Turner for another year and blew it once again.

I would've loved to have Bill Callahan the most. Pollock learned under him.
How do you retain someone that you never had? Was Callahan even interested in coming to Cincy?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:32 AM)sandwedge Wrote: How do you retain someone that you never had? Was Callahan even interested in coming to Cincy?

He was in 2019.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Smith plays anything like he did Saturday, in the next two weeks, he's a staring G on opening day. 

And this is probably a great thing for Carman. I'm not sure if this kid thought he was going to just get to start because he was drafted in the 2nd and was told he was drafted to start at guard, but if he did, his eyes just got opened by a 4th rounder who is trying his best to take that job. I may be seeing shades of early Andre Smith here, before he realized he had to put in the work in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 07:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agreed; I'm merely talking about the actual hire.

More-than likely, they stuck with Turner to keep continuity, but we all know that was a MASSIVE mistake and we should've had someone new for last year.

Then again, if Pollack does super-well, this may have been a fortuitous move (keeping him a second year), in hindsight.

What would've been even better than this would've been if Zac would've kept Frank Pollack like the Front Office suggested in the beginning, but no Zac wanted his own guys and his own staff.  

That Jim Turner hire was such a winning hire.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:21 AM)TJ528 Wrote: What would've been even better than this would've been if Zac would've kept Frank Pollack like the Front Office suggested in the beginning, but no Zac wanted his own guys and his own staff.  

That Jim Turner hire was such a winning hire.  

revisionist history.....

Bengals Rumors: OL coach Frank Pollack leaves team - Cincy Jungle

Quote:We’re getting some clarity on the Frank Pollack situation.

Apparently, it was not the Bengals who didn’t want Pollack back. Instead, it was Pollack who didn’t want to remain in Cincinnati.

He wanted to go to New York.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: revisionist history.....

Bengals Rumors: OL coach Frank Pollack leaves team - Cincy Jungle

He wanted to go to New York.

According to the Athletic beat writer he was given the chance to retain Pollack but wanted to bring in Turner. 

So maybe there's differing information out there. 
Reply/Quote

Carman could be pouting and causing issues. Let's face it we live in an entitled society and these star college players have been treated extremely well at college for years.

The man is trying to learn a new position in the NFL which is never easy. I commend him for embracing doing it and then working extra to get better faster.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And this is probably a great thing for Carman. I'm not sure if this kid thought he was going to just get to start because he was drafted in the 2nd and was told he was drafted to start at guard, but if he did, his eyes just got opened by a 4th rounder who is trying his best to take that job. I may be seeing shades of early Andre Smith here, before he realized he had to put in the work in the NFL. 

There are a lot of people making assumptions based on his weight entering camp. I get it, but also know he was recovering from a surgery. Big guys gain weight quickly when then can't work out so maybe the cause, but I also have no idea, just another assumption.

I don't recall Zac or Pollack saying bad things about Jackson's work ethic. Maybe just maybe, they understand huge change switching from guard from OT. Has he ever played guard at any level? If not, all new to him.

Love to see any player putting in extra work, shows me they want to get better sooner than later.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote