Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
Smith is playing well. Carman came in a touch heavy but is putting in the work to get to speed. Spain and XSF are the presumptive starters and even MJ looks better. This Guard room is worlds ahead of where we were going into last season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:32 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Carman could be pouting and causing issues. Let's face it we live in an entitled society and these star college players have been treated extremely well at college for years.

The man is trying to learn a new position in the NFL which is never easy. I commend him for embracing doing it and then working extra to get better faster.

Same. I like Carman and he played solid against Tampa's DL front. I like him as a human being and I like his work ethic.

Think he will be at the very least a solid Guard for us.
Reply/Quote
Before TC started we were hoping a team would cut a starting quality interior oline vet. We might be the team that cuts 2.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He looked pretty good against Tampa. We will see how he looks against WFT. 

Yeah it was just D'Ante had that amazing play where he just had to own that LB.

He also had a bad play where he gave up a TFL which resulted in a fumble but he made up for it with the recovery and he was PO'ed
at himself. The effort is just fantastic from D'Ante but Carman also played solid as a rookie and so did Trey Hill at Center.

All good news.

(08-17-2021, 08:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: Smith is playing well. Carman came in a touch heavy but is putting in the work to get to speed. Spain and XSF are the presumptive starters and even MJ looks better. This Guard room is worlds ahead of where we were going into last season.

All just good to great news if this continues. Didn't expect the rookies and MJ to be this good this early on this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All good news.

All just good to great news if this continues. Didn't expect the rookies and MJ to be this good this early on this year.

All the talk of the "team did not address the o line" because we didn't pay huge money for a guard like Thuney (who got ridiculous money), seems like maybe they did......  Cool
Reply/Quote
Well everyone’s favorite to be our 2nd round OL, Tevin Jenkins, is likely out at least 3/4ths season or possibly whole season due to ongoing back issues that require surgery. So there’s that.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 11:00 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Well everyone’s favorite to be our 2nd round OL, Tevin Jenkins, is likely out at least 3/4ths season or possibly whole season due to ongoing back issues that require surgery. So there’s that.

Yep…

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/18/teven-jenkins-having-back-surgery/
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 08:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All the talk of the "team did not address the o line" because we didn't pay huge money for a guard like Thuney (who got ridiculous money), seems like maybe they did......  Cool

I would love to eat crow, with or without BBQ sauce, regarding this. But if Smith is starting instead of Carman, you have to admit it feels a bit like drawing a great texas hold 'em hand out of nothing on the last card...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 01:23 PM)SladeX Wrote: I would love to eat crow, with or without BBQ sauce, regarding this. But if Smith is starting instead of Carman, you have to admit it feels a bit like drawing a great texas hold 'em hand out of nothing on the last card...

Draft position really means nothing to me. I don't care if they got him in the 7th, they saw something in him and grabbed him.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 02:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Draft position really means nothing to me. I don't care if they got him in the 7th, they saw something in him and grabbed him.

Same here, you have to look at the Draft as a whole. Not where everyone is slotted.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say the OT many folks wanted to sign in RD 2 before we traded back has not played a snap all PS and his team just signed 46 year old Jason Peters..

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnEo-SwrdlbRx9smKVkFf...Q&usqp=CAU]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 03:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnEo-SwrdlbRx9smKVkFf...Q&usqp=CAU]

Good job Bfine!!
Reply/Quote
Yes, give Bfine a pat on the back everyone. Cool
Reply/Quote
I thought he looked good tonight.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 12:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought he looked good tonight.

He was mauling guys left and right and WFT has just as good a front (even backups) as TB.

Don't forget, Carman had a few reps against the 1s.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He's earned elevation to the 2nd team at the very least after last night.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I thought he played pretty well last night. I watched him maul a few guys, one run in particular he was on a LB right off the snap. Another where he had a decision to make in pass pro, shot up both arms, then made his decision. I liked the decisiveness on that particular play as we saw last year we had guys who looked lost, didn’t know who to block, couldn’t handle stunts, etc. I think this kid will be a keeper, we just need to be patient with him. Switching positions and sides takes some time. (don’t know why they didn’t switch him to LEFT guard to at least take the switching sides outta the learning curve. Is LG that much different than RG? Does he project better as RG than a LG? )
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Kid has a lot of nastiness to his game. Can’t teach that. D’Ante Smith is the same. I know it’s WAY too early (I’m talking down the road) but imagine getting two starters for the OL from a single draft class.

Reply/Quote
Carman is progressing and its exactly what you want to see. Still, no need to panic or worry if he's not the week 1 starter. The OLine as a whole is looking better than I expected. Maybe I underestimated Pollack a bit. I really liked him and was happy when it was announced he came back, but I have to say that I was concerned about the talent.

I understand it's only preseason, but Price and Jordan actually look good. Carman is progressing, Smith (though he didn't play last night) appears way ahead of schedule, Hill looks decent. If this continues, great for Burrow. If the OLine is this good throughout the season, I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong this offseason.
Reply/Quote