Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
I think I'll trust the coaching staff with their sign of displeasure by making him a 3rd string guard. Not that he can't move up, I thought he played better than feared Saturday, but this staff isn't Marvin's staff. They will start a rookie if they show anything. So I think they've earned the trust to realize some disappointment in a player if they are a high pick and stuck on the 3rd string.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:39 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are a lot of people making assumptions based on his weight entering camp. I get it, but also know he was recovering from a surgery. Big guys gain weight quickly when then can't work out so maybe the cause, but I also have no idea, just another assumption.

I don't recall Zac or Pollack saying bad things about Jackson's work ethic. Maybe just maybe, they understand huge change switching from guard from OT. Has he ever played guard at any level? If not, all new to him.

Love to see any player putting in extra work, shows me they want to get better sooner than later.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure, but whatever it is, or was, he is surely putting in the work now and that's a good thing. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 05:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pollack left before Taylor got here. He wanted to go to New York.

(08-16-2021, 06:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Pollack left in January, Zac was hired after the SB and interviewed a week or two before the SB.

His choice was Callahan, but Washington blocked the move, thus the only person (in his mind, I guess) left available was Turner.

Let's not shit on Zac or management for this; it was a timing/other-team-being-pricks sitch and nothing more.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/01/18/bx-pollack-departure-illustrates-ownership-investing-taylor-cincinnati-bengals/2603273002/

This article, written before Zac was hired (but widely known by then to be the HC pick), seems to state things differently.  It seems to make more sense as well.  I would think FP would rather stay with the Bengals if he could, than take a lateral job in NY just for the sake of doing so, unless of course, FP had absolutely no faith in ZT, which I suppose could also be true.

Was ZT solely responsible for bringing Jim Turner here?  I believe that to be the case, but we will never know what exactly the discussion was between FP and management.  I'm not sure what he saw in ZT to make him want to come back here other than management and/or the players really got in his ear.  It is a bit of a strange story.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:39 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are a lot of people making assumptions based on his weight entering camp. I get it, but also know he was recovering from a surgery. Big guys gain weight quickly when then can't work out so maybe the cause, but I also have no idea, just another assumption.

I don't recall Zac or Pollack saying bad things about Jackson's work ethic. Maybe just maybe, they understand huge change switching from guard from OT. Has he ever played guard at any level? If not, all new to him.

Love to see any player putting in extra work, shows me they want to get better sooner than later.

not direct comments by Zac or Pollack but there have been hints about not being in shape and a bit behind in preparation coming into preseason, i remember Tobin and Lap discussing it.  Like I stated before, will be a disappointment if he does not start but even more if he is unable to grab a starting position through the year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:23 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/01/18/bx-pollack-departure-illustrates-ownership-investing-taylor-cincinnati-bengals/2603273002/

This article, written before Zac was hired (but widely known by then to be the HC pick), seems to state things differently.  It seems to make more sense as well.  I would think FP would rather stay with the Bengals if he could, than take a lateral job in NY just for the sake of doing so, unless of course, FP had absolutely no faith in ZT, which I suppose could also be true.

Was ZT solely responsible for bringing Jim Turner here?  I believe that to be the case, but we will never know what exactly the discussion was between FP and management.  I'm not sure what he saw in ZT to make him want to come back here other than management and/or the players really got in his ear.  It is a bit of a strange story.

I just remember Pollack telling someone in an interview he wanted to take other opportunities in NY. Maybe he had no faith in Taylor. Who knows. I don't think anyone knows for sure except Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:21 AM)TJ528 Wrote: What would've been even better than this would've been if Zac would've kept Frank Pollack like the Front Office suggested in the beginning, but no Zac wanted his own guys and his own staff.  

That Jim Turner hire was such a winning hire.  

(08-17-2021, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: revisionist history.....

Bengals Rumors: OL coach Frank Pollack leaves team - Cincy Jungle

He wanted to go to New York.

(08-17-2021, 09:39 AM)TJ528 Wrote: According to the Athletic beat writer he was given the chance to retain Pollack but wanted to bring in Turner. 

So maybe there's differing information out there. 

He left the team in the first week of January. HE LEFT. On his own accord.

Zac wasn't even interviewed yet, so how he could have had any input, is beyond me; must be telepathic.

(08-17-2021, 11:23 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/01/18/bx-pollack-departure-illustrates-ownership-investing-taylor-cincinnati-bengals/2603273002/

This article, written before Zac was hired (but widely known by then to be the HC pick), seems to state things differently. It seems to make more sense as well. I would think FP would rather stay with the Bengals if he could, than take a lateral job in NY just for the sake of doing so, unless of course, FP had absolutely no faith in ZT, which I suppose could also be true.

Was ZT solely responsible for bringing Jim Turner here? I believe that to be the case, but we will never know what exactly the discussion was between FP and management. I'm not sure what he saw in ZT to make him want to come back here other than management and/or the players really got in his ear. It is a bit of a strange story.

Typical, disgruntled Dehner. It really is water under the bridge, but I still don't know why he blocked me on Twitter for asking an honest question. Just a thin-skinned guy, I guess...

Anyways, as you mentioned, the article is indeed written with perhaps prior knowledge. But contained in those words, is a ton of speculation and, not hearsay, but, "going off of rumours."

As for hiring Tuner, I have no doubt in my mind that he was 100% the choice of Zac, but again, that's only because Washington blocked us from Callahan; also have no doubt in my mind that he was Zac's first choice.

Sherman as well, may have been in play for Zac, but given that he's been off the football radar for 3 years now, he probably didn't want the job.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It's worth noting that neither Sample nor Higgins started Game 1 of their rookie year, both of which were 2nd round picks under Taylor. Higgins was 33rd pick, so much higher than either Sample or Carman.

The WRs ahead of Higgins through the preseason and into Game 1 were Green, Boyd, and Ross.
Eifert and Uzomah were ahead of Sample in 2019, and then Uzomah was ahead of Sample last year before going down.

My point is that we shouldn't necessarily expect that Carman has to start Week 1 as a rookie.
As long as he can work his way into the starting lineup sometime this year, that's considered good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Typical, disgruntled Dehner. It really is water under the bridge, but I still don't know why he blocked me on Twitter for asking an honest question. Just a thin-skinned guy, I guess...

He blocked me too, and was so bent out of shape talked about me on his podcast for a couple of minutes the next week he was so worked up. Jay was just laughing and going with the flow like he always does.

So yes hes thin skinned...Probably a member on this board LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My point is that we shouldn't necessarily expect that Carman has to start Week 1 as a rookie.
As long as he can work his way into the starting lineup sometime this year, that's considered good.

Correct me if Im wrong, But wasnt the NUMBER one priority this to fix the offensive line? So by fixing it we draft a second rounder that we shouldn't necessarily expect to start week one or anytime soon?

Brain cells are falling out by the second thinking about what happened to Burrow and it would've been only a matter of time because how bad the OL was all year and then in the offseason draft a player that will "eventually" replace the shit players from last year that couldn't block their own shadows.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:02 PM)GodFather Wrote: He blocked me too, and was so bent out of shape talked about me on his podcast for a couple of minutes the next week he was so worked up. Jay was just laughing and going with the flow like he always does.

So yes hes thin skinned...Probably a member on this board LOL

Wow, for real?

Yeah, definitely thin-skinned.

I mean, he flat-out tweeted that, "going to this building (he was talking about PBS) is just so depressing." I literally asked, "then why don't you find a new job that isn't so depressing?" Wasn't being condescending, trollish or snarky.

Stopped seeing his tweets, clicked on his profile here on the side banner of the boards and I get the, "you've been blocked," page, by Twitter. LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wow, for real?

Yeah, definitely thin-skinned.

I mean, he flat-out tweeted that, "going to this building (he was talking about PBS) is just so depressing." I literally asked, "then why don't you find a new job that isn't so depressing?" Wasn't being condescending, trollish or snarky.

Stopped seeing his tweets, clicked on his profile here on the side banner of the boards and I get the, "you've been blocked," page, by Twitter. LOL

Honest question.  And I see complaints about getting to go into the building and cover elite athletes in a constantly changing league, and I just think, how awesome would it be to have a degree in journalism and get picked by an NFL team to get up close to them, be privy to what's going on and unravel the unseen aspects of this complex puzzle on a daily basis, speculate as to what's happening and postulate what you think?

And get paid for it?

Dude, I'd kill for that job.  Even in the worst years it would have been fascinating and fun.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:08 PM)GodFather Wrote: Correct me if Im wrong, But wasnt the NUMBER one priority this to fix the offensive line? So by fixing it we draft a second rounder that we shouldn't necessarily expect to start week one or anytime soon?

Brain cells are falling out by the second thinking about what happened to Burrow and it would've been only a matter of time because how bad the OL was all year and then in the offseason draft a player that will "eventually" replace the shit players from last year that couldn't block their own shadows.

Apparently, in the organization's mind, they just needed to bring in a replacement for Hart at RT (Reiff) and then could get by with Spain and XSF at OG while a Day 2 OL was groomed.

Honestly, even if Sewell was drafted, he might not even be starting right now. He might be backing up Reiff instead of trying to play OG.

I would have gone after an OG in FA along with getting Reiff, but not my decision.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Apparently, in the organization's mind, they just needed to bring in a replacement for Hart at RT (Reiff) and then could get by with Spain and XSF at OG while a Day 2 OL was groomed.

Honestly, even if Sewell was drafted, he might not even be starting right now. He might be backing up Reiff instead of trying to play OG.

I would have gone after an OG in FA along with getting Reiff, but not my decision.

I agree, we should've been more aggressive in FA. We needed a Reiff type vet to come in and play one of the guard spots, those two would've been something along with drafting OL to build a solid foundation on.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 04:23 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree, we should've been more aggressive in FA. We needed a Reiff type vet to come in and play one of the guard spots, those two would've been something along with drafting OL to build a solid foundation on.

This.  We just needed one more good, solid piece.  Not that Spain or Hopkins were that great, but when you average all 5 together, I think it makes for a much more comfortable Joe Burrow.  Heck, even if you have to overpay just a bit on a 1-2 year deal, I think it would've been worth it just to let JB's knee heal for an extra year.

What we've got now is a little spooky.  Can't even think about playing JB until they figure out who the starters are.  It feels alot like last year but not as bad.  I was totally fine with the Chase pick as he's ready to play, but I thought they nearly failed in FA except for Reiff (thank God).
Carman is looking like a multi-year project pick, but it's early yet.

Who knows?  Maybe Billy comes to save us at RG. Ninja
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's worth noting that neither Sample nor Higgins started Game 1 of their rookie year, both of which were 2nd round picks under Taylor. Higgins was 33rd pick, so much higher than either Sample or Carman.

The WRs ahead of Higgins through the preseason and into Game 1 were Green, Boyd, and Ross.
Eifert and Uzomah were ahead of Sample in 2019, and then Uzomah was ahead of Sample last year before going down.

My point is that we shouldn't necessarily expect that Carman has to start Week 1 as a rookie.

I see it a bit different since we all know after last season the Oline was priority #1 and many on here said that plenty of Oline in 2nd round that we can plug in day 1 if we pass on Sewell plus Oline coming is much weaker position than WR in 2020 coming in and Tight End the year before so yes the expectation was Carman will earn the job by 1st game and yes it will be a disappointment if he does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 05:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see it a bit different since we all know after last season the Oline was priority #1 and many on here said that plenty of Oline in 2nd round that we can plug in day 1 if we pass on Sewell plus Oline coming is much weaker position than WR in 2020 coming in and Tight End the year before so yes the expectation was Carman will earn the job by 1st game and yes it will be a disappointment if he does not.

We might think OL in 2nd round would be plug in Day 1, but that doesn't mean the Bengals would.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Nearly 500 replies on a Jackson Carman thread....
Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:32 PM)Destro Wrote: Nearly 500 replies on a Jackson Carman thread....
Facepalm

and counting. The real question is what happens first,  thread hits 1000 replies or Jackson Carman is named starter?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:36 PM)GodFather Wrote: and counting. The real question is what happens first,  thread hits 1000 replies or Jackson Carman is named starter?

The real money is on weather 4th round selection D'Ante Smith is named starter before 2nd round pick Jackson Carman.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:37 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Is Smith really playing that well or are  Carmen , Jordan and all the others just not playing that great? 
Been hearing great thigs about Smith but he was  a 4th round , under weight rookie tackle, with alot of "upside"  is how he was described. 
Playing the WFT next week...it would be great to see how Smith holds up against Payne, Allen, Young , Sweat and Co. 

He looked pretty good against Tampa. We will see how he looks against WFT. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote