Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(07-29-2021, 10:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Penei Sewell had been drafted, there's a decent chance he'd be behind Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff on the depth chart too.

Sewell would be used just like Carman. He’d be played at guard and then take over tackle when Reiff leaves.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yet here you are crying about not using a top 5 pick on one. By your logic wouldn’t Sewell have sucked if we took him?

Smh, Sewell was the first offensive lineman taken for a reason. I don’t tip my cap to the scouts in Detroit by choosing Sewell. He’s a blue chip lock imo like chase to be a stud in this league when u get late into the first second rounds of the draft then the bengals have to do their job and when it comes to scouting offensive lineman they can’t hit water from a boat. And the way the bengals did it to by trading back cuz they had “their” guy and it ends up being Jackson Carman lmao. I knew this was coming the guy is not what this team desperately needed help with.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 12:19 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Smh, Sewell was the first offensive lineman taken for a reason. I don’t tip my cap to the scouts in Detroit by choosing Sewell. He’s a blue chip lock imo like chase to be a stud in this league when u get late into the first second rounds of the draft then the bengals have to do their job and when it comes to scouting offensive lineman they can’t hit water from a boat. And the way the bengals did it to by trading back cuz they had “their” guy and it ends up being Jackson Carman lmao. I knew this was coming the guy is not what this team desperately needed help with.

Jonah Williams was the first lineman taken in his draft class, and was highly touted coming out of Alabama. Nick Saban called Jonah his best player. I guess despite some bad luck with a couple injuries you’re a big Jonah, guy. You know…since he was the first lineman taken and all. I probably just missed all your posts hyping him up between all your head shaking…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 04:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hey Elizabeth, if you are reading this board it would be really nice to have some mikes in the back of the room so we could hear the questions as well as the answers. Who was he talking about that needed to put on some size, anyone catch that?

Emily Parker, communications director, said they are doing the press conferences outside and don’t have the built in mics like they do in their press room

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would think every Bengal fan would be "pro Carman".

I really cannot believe how many grown men are still mad about Sewell. I wanted Sewell over Chase, but we didn't go that direction; however,l'm not a child.  

I will also never understand that. Especially with it being so early in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
The problem with this is that there is no team depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 09:52 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Y’all desperate to make sense of this but it’s pretty easy.  Bengals can’t draft oline man to save their lives

Andrew Whitworth and Willie Anderson are HOF players.  They were both drafted by the Bengals, and Whit was a 2nd rounder.   

Let's not forget Carman wasn't even able to participate in his college Pro Day because he put off having surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back until after the season at Clemson.  I have to admit that I did not scout the guy as much as many others because I saw him as a tackle and after signing Reiff, I was looking more at Guard in Rd 2.  The fact that the guy that protected Lawrence's blind side was there and his PFF rankings in college as well as just looking at the film should have fans very excited.  Instead, many of you want to run on about the Chase and Sewell debate.  The guy gave up 3 sacks in 3 seasons before the herniated disc and he gave up 3 down the stretch after the injury.  He is a really strong player, and I think he skill set could make him an elite guard. 

I have a lot of confidence in Carman, but if he doesn't start week 1, and they go with XSF and Spain at the guard positions, I feel a LOT better with the depth behind those guys being Carman and Mike Jordan than the guys that were being thrown in last season after Jordan had problems and XSF was injured.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 08:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Andrew Whitworth and Willie Anderson are HOF players.  They were both drafted by the Bengals, and Whit was a 2nd rounder.   

Let's not forget Carman wasn't even able to participate in his college Pro Day because he put off having surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back until after the season at Clemson.  I have to admit that I did not scout the guy as much as many others because I saw him as a tackle and after signing Reiff, I was looking more at Guard in Rd 2.  The fact that the guy that protected Lawrence's blind side was there and his PFF rankings in college as well as just looking at the film should have fans very excited.  Instead, many of you want to run on about the Chase and Sewell debate.  The guy gave up 3 sacks in 3 seasons before the herniated disc and he gave up 3 down the stretch after the injury.  He is a really strong player, and I think he skill set could make him an elite guard. 

I have a lot of confidence in Carman, but if he doesn't start week 1, and they go with XSF and Spain at the guard positions, I feel a LOT better with the depth behind those guys being Carman and Mike Jordan than the guys that were being thrown in last season after Jordan had problems and XSF was injured.

Good post!!

What is wrong with having a potential OL stud learning in year 1 (I ask others)? Most rookie OL are not ready (just because they start does not mean they were ready) to be good or great immediately. I wanted Sewell too, but the reality is no rookie is a lock to be a stud out of the gate. Teams that rely on rookies as saviors normally fail, look closely at teams that draft a lot in top 5 getting supposed studs. Most are back to drafting top 10 the following year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Wow. People really over reacting to Carman not just being handed a starting job and having to earn it.The fact is he has two guys in front of him who are mature, experienced players who have started a lot of games in the NFL. A rookie is going to have to earn the trust of the coaching staff and learn what it means to be a pro, and be more consistent. That's not a surprise. People acting like that makes him a bust or that he was a second round reach is just stupid.

Comparing him to Chase is silly. Chase was selected top five overall to come in and fill a huge hole and to start and be an impact player day 1. He had nothing in front of him. AJ Green is gone. There is no established experienced starter in from of him for him to beat out. Was Tee Higgins a second round bust last year because he wasn't given a starting position right away? Dude was behind Mike Thomas to start the year
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 10:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good post!!

What is wrong with having a potential OL stud learning in year 1 (I ask others)? Most rookie OL are not ready (just because they start does not mean they were ready) to be good or great immediately. I wanted Sewell too, but the reality is no rookie is a lock to be a stud out of the gate. Teams that rely on rookies as saviors normally fail, look closely at teams that draft a lot in top 5 getting supposed studs. Most are back to drafting top 10 the following year.

Not to mention, I would probably take Sewell over Carman at Tackle, but would probably take Carman over Sewell at Guard. Dude is a flat our mauler.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 10:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is wrong with having a potential OL stud learning in year 1 (I ask others)? 

I will answer that easily, because what we had last year was garbage and couldn't protect Joe Burrow to begin with. If we had a good established line your point would be valid.

The point this offseason was to fix this horrendous offensive line not put a potential player behind the existing line. 

Where the F'k is the common sense in that? This isnt rocket science here..
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 11:04 AM)GodFather Wrote: I will answer that easily, because what we had last year was garbage and couldn't protect Joe Burrow to begin with. If we had a good established line your point would be valid.

The point this offseason was to fix this horrendous offensive line not put a potential player behind the existing line. 

Did you read what Pollack said. He has to earn the spot. He didn't say it was his, he didn't say it wasn't. If he takes it from Spain or XFS, then it's his. If they hold their spots, then it's theirs. Competition. It's a good thing, relax already.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 11:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Did you read what Pollack said. He has to earn the spot. He didn't say it was his, he didn't say it wasn't. If he takes it from Spain or XFS, then it's his. If they hold their spots, then it's theirs. Competition. It's a good thing, relax already.

Did you read and understand what I responded too? 

"What is wrong with having a potential OL stud learning in year 1 I ask?"  Your response is irrelevant to the original question asked.

And you are telling me to relax? I posted a quote from article and podcast and go back to page 1 with your reply to me? You're telling me to relax? I would tell you not to get your panties in a bunch, cause your the one who needs to take a step back and count to 10..
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 11:04 AM)GodFather Wrote: I will answer that easily, because what we had last year was garbage and couldn't protect Joe Burrow to begin with. If we had a good established line your point would be valid.

So you believe Sewell pick would have made our OL great in 2021? Do you think Sewell will be an all pro and void of rookie mistakes?

The addition of Reiff in my opinion was the better choice for 2021 shoring up the OL. I don't think Sewell would have beaten out Williams or Reiff to start in 2021 unless one got hurt. 

So please let's debate this after 2021 and we see if Sewell was a great OT in year one, if not he could have been the one to get Burrow killed. No one knows for sure the outcome of the Bengal's 2021 draft yet, we may not know for years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
So let me get this straight:
1) People will piss and moan if rookie starts and struggles
2) Same people will piss and moan if they make him earn the starting spot......
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Guess you missed the part where I said "it's way too soon to panic".

I'm just saying that if those on the "we addressed the line just fine" / Carman train wind up being wrong, don't turd out by saying stuff like "you're thrilled with failure". That's just deflecting.

Yes it's way too soon, but pro-Carman people have to admit this isn't what you want to hear...even in training camp. Dehnar paints a pretty bad picture. Hopefully the vets step up their game under Pollack, or Carman turns it around. We need a lot of things to go right if we want the most out of this awesome WR group.

Good god, what does Carman have to turn around? He's changing positions, he's a rookie. 
Reply/Quote
If you would've told me in back in April that Spain and XSF were going to be the 2021 starters, I probably would've cringed a bit.
I think what some of us are saying is that if Carman doesn't start this season, it will be viewed as a disappointment, not because it's a knock on the rookie, but because he gives us our best chance at an upgrade at this point.  However, I don't think it's a realistic expectation for Carman to start at either guard spot Week 1.

Most other options at G have dried up now so it's too late barring a trade or a DeCastro miracle.  I wish they would've played it safer and been more proactive in FA.

What worries me is that Mike Brown has emerged from his crypt saying, "Our offensive line is going to surprise people."  
Naturally, anything that comes out of that man's mouth I tend to resist. Nervous
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 11:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you believe Sewell pick would have made our OL great in 2021? Do you think Sewell will be an all pro and void of rookie mistakes?

The addition of Reiff in my opinion was the better choice for 2021 shoring up the OL. I don't think Sewell would have beaten out Williams or Reiff to start in 2021 unless one got hurt. 

So please let's debate this after 2021 and we see if Sewell was a great OT in year one, if not he could have been the one to get Burrow killed. No one knows for sure the outcome of the Bengal's 2021 draft yet, we may not know for years.

Sewell has NOTHING to do with this discussion. I think Reiff was a good pickup. I also think trading down in the second because we passed on Sewell for Chase(which Im fine with) meant address this issue in second round with best available lineman. There were plenty and we chose to trade down and eventually take Jackson. I think it was a mistake for an offensive line that performed so badly in 2020 to do. We should've been more aggressive in FA with the line too, but again another topic. 

I don't think what Im saying is anything but common sense.

If your car engine has a ton of serious work that needs to be done are you going to get new tires instead? Even though the tires need replacing the car engine has more issues that need your addressing? Thats the front office in a nutshell...

Pollock is so much better than Turner but he cant polish a turd and thats what the OL was in 2020, pure shit.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 12:15 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Sewell would be used just like Carman.  He’d be played at guard and then take over tackle when Reiff leaves.

Very likely, yes.
And therefore he would have to transition from OT to OG too, thus also not likely being handed a starting role at the beginning of TC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 10:35 AM)Mobster Wrote: Wow. People really over reacting to Carman not just being handed a starting job and having to earn it.The fact is he has two guys in front of him who are mature, experienced players who have started a lot of games in the NFL. A rookie is going to have to earn the trust of the coaching staff and learn what it means to be a pro, and be more consistent. That's not a surprise. People acting like that makes him a bust or that he was a second round reach is just stupid.

Comparing him to Chase is silly. Chase was selected top five overall to come in and fill a huge hole and to start and be an impact player day 1. He had nothing in front of him. AJ Green is gone. There is no established experienced starter in from of him for him to beat out. Was Tee Higgins a second round bust last year because he wasn't given a starting position right away? Dude was behind Mike Thomas to start the year

This. Carman has to earn it. Great move by the coaches at this time of year and the obvious one.

Takes nothing from Carman.
Reply/Quote