Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(08-13-2021, 03:35 PM)tms Wrote: Sure hope so. I'll be pulling hard for him. But he must provide more than depth. That's just the reality of it. And that's not his fault. He has no control over where he's picked or by whom. The team put him in this position and now he has to live up to the(-ir) billing. Same was true with... I won't even mention the poor kids' names. It sucks but it's the nature of sports.

Good thing is that games start tomorrow. He's earned an opportunity to play pro football and show what he's worth. It's a beautiful moment for his family that the rest of us can only dream of. Proud of him.

Well if XSF and him both play well and XSF edges him out at the start of the regular season I won't mind him not starting early on.

That is all I am saying. Both are 2nd round picks, shit XSF was a 33rd overall pick and he is a grizzled veteran.

I just want the best 5 to start and it could take a little time for Carman to transition to Guard from Tackle.

I like how he has been staying after practice and working by himself in the heat. Liking this work ethic from Jackson.

(08-13-2021, 04:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if they all show well we might be able to trade one before cut downs

That would be sweet instead of just cutting one of them for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 06:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He wasn't considered that much of a reach, if at all.

Most experts/sites had him as a late 2nd to early 3rd in their rankings.

TheDraftNetwork - 69th overall (early 3rd)
Walter Football - Rd 1-2
ProFootballNetwork - 80th overall (early 3rd)
NFL.com - 3rd Round
CBS Sports - 51st overall (late 2nd)

Many considered Joseph Ossai to be an absolute steal in the 3rd, as he was projected to be an early 2nd, possibly late 1st.

Would it have made a difference if Ossai was picked at 46 and Carman was picked in the 3rd?
I rarely found sites that had him high 2nd round and even you referenced late 2nd I to 3rd so few had him where he ended in my research and opinion and again if he does not start very few on here predicted that, I'm more disappointed on what I've read about his lack of shape an preparation hope that changes asap...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 06:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He wasn't considered that much of a reach, if at all.

Walter Football - Rd 1-2
NFL.com - 3rd Round

Many considered Joseph Ossai to be an absolute steal in the 3rd, as he was projected to be an early 2nd, possibly late 1st.

Would it have made a difference if Ossai was picked at 46 and Carman was picked in the 3rd?

He went early 2nd round. Only one of your sources had him going that high. Everyone else had him going later.

You didn’t really prove that the pick wasn’t a reach
Reply/Quote
Well looks like Sewell is a bust (sarscasm). But he did just completely whiffed on a run block and got shoved back into Goff causing a sack. The way people talked was he was a walking GOD.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 08:12 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Well looks like Sewell is a bust (sarscasm). But he did just completely whiffed on a run block and got shoved back into Goff causing a sack. The way people talked was he was a walking GOD.

That's the way it goes.  Sewell was the "next Munoz" until it was clear we were leaning towards Chase and the Lions have Frank Ragnow who was the guy we wanted until they took him and we immediately picked Billy "probably better than Ragnow, anyways" Price.

I feel like Devin Bush was expected to be our big LB pick in the 2019 draft that was going to finally save our LB corps and make up for a huge weakness until the Steelers jumped us and got him and we realized we needed a LT in Jonah "still technically a rookie" Williams.  

Side note, who did we want before we got surprised with the John Ross pick?  .

This also makes me think about Jets fans who wanted Dan Marino and then had to attempt to convince themselves that Ken O'Brien was actually the better pick after they watched the Jets pick him instead of Dan Marino.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 08:12 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Well looks like Sewell is a bust (sarscasm). But he did just completely whiffed on a run block and got shoved back into Goff causing a sack. The way people talked was he was a walking GOD.

Are some posters here going to constantly update us on every snap of sewell’s career?

This is pathetic
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 08:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Are some posters here going to constantly update us on every snap of sewell’s career?

This is pathetic

I wonder if there is someone on the Falcons board who is keeping tabs on Chase because he wanted him over Pitts.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 08:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Are some posters here going to constantly update us on every snap of sewell’s career?

This is pathetic

He’s angry!! I’m just messing around. I’m sure you’ll be searching for great plays made by him and use those to try and justify him over Chase. I mean there’s a whole thread about regretting the pick and he hasn’t even played an NFL snap. That’s what is pathetic.
Reply/Quote

Hmm

So true and I liked Sewell and wanted him to be the pick unless Pitts made it past the Falcons.

(08-13-2021, 08:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Are some posters here going to constantly update us on every snap of sewell’s career?

This is pathetic

You asked for it man, you Sewell only guys asked for it. We will remind you as you will never give up your bashing of the OL
until it is eventually the best in football. Hope we get to be the best, in the meantime we have to still have the Sewell vs Chase
debate until we see who was correct. Lets see how Chase performs tomorrow now shall we, not a good start for Sewell.

(08-13-2021, 08:49 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He’s angry!! I’m just messing around. I’m sure you’ll be searching for great plays made by him and use those to try and justify him over Chase.  I mean there’s a whole thread about regretting the pick and he hasn’t even played an NFL snap. That’s what is pathetic.

No shit.
Reply/Quote

This is pathetic

I am sure they will stop as soon as "some people" stop brining up the argument that we should have drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 07:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He went early 2nd round. Only one of your sources had him going that high. Everyone else had him going later.

He went 46th.
That's the 14th selection in the 2nd round.
That's not early, that's middle.

Was it a bit higher than I would have taken him?
Yes.
I would have taken Cosmi instead.
With that said, I still liked Carman.
Maybe I'm a poor evaluator though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He went 46th.
That's the 14th selection in the 2nd round.
That's not early, that's middle.

Was it a bit higher than I would have taken him?
Yes.
I would have taken Cosmi instead.
With that said, I still liked Carman.
Maybe I'm a poor evaluator though.

No you're not.
Reply/Quote
Still quite early on in all three, Chase, Carman and Sewell's development. We saw Carman play against the super bowl winning team and didn't look like a world beater, but to hear some already tell it he wiffed on the scrubs from the worst defense in the past 30 years.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Walter Football - Rd 1-2
NFL.com - 3rd Round

Not at all. And that’s the way I choose to look at it
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hmm

So true and I liked Sewell and wanted him to be the pick unless Pitts made it past the Falcons.

You asked for it man, you Sewell only guys asked for it. We will remind you as you will never give up your bashing of the OL
until it is eventually the best in football. Hope we get to be the best, in the meantime we have to still have the Sewell vs Chase
debate until we see who was correct. Lets see how Chase performs tomorrow now shall we, not a good start for Sewell.

No shit.

You go Nate!!! Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 07:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He went early 2nd round. Only one of your sources had him going that high. Everyone else had him going later.

Except he didn't go early 2nd round. 

You seem to have forgotten that the Bengals traded back.
Reply/Quote
The thread that won't quit

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 01:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You go Nate!!! Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Rock On

(08-16-2021, 09:34 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Except he didn't go early 2nd round. 

You seem to have forgotten that the Bengals traded back.

And got D'Ante Smith and Tyler "gonna eat your cornbread" Shelvin...

(08-16-2021, 09:42 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: The thread that won't quit

I will never quit. Wink
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Carman has a way to go and that's fine. He's a rookie and changing positions at the highest level. Expecting him to come in and start seemed a little high expectations, but there are plenty that know more about him than me. If he doesn't start, that's okay. Maybe he starts next year.

On the flip side, I must say after 1 preseason game I am impressed with Smith. Everything I read on the guy said he was a project that was 1-2 years away from being ready to contribute. Maybe I don't remember correctly, but projects haven't seemed to often benefit us. Not saying none have, but our track record seems to be low on projects. He looked good though and posted a 84-something pass pro grade. If he contributes earlier, even better.

Still way to early to tell, but overall the OLine didn't look bad. Jordan played okay*, Price played okay, the rookies played okay. Vogel was the only one that stood out to me as bad. As with everyone, there was hit and miss, but most of the OLine seemed at least okay to me except him.

As for Sewell. I wanted us to draft him. As soon as we took Chase, that ship sailed. There's no sense to argue the pick and I honestly don't care what Sewell does. My focus and hope is on the players we actually drafted. I want them all to turn out to be positive contributors. I am much more concerned with how the players we actually drafted perform than those we didn't.

Edit to add: * = I'm not saying okay as in "just okay", I mean it positively.
Reply/Quote