Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Jackson Carmen hahahahaha
(04-30-2021, 09:50 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Exactly.  The Bengals tried to get cute with the trade down and got burned because of it.  All the decent OT's were swallowed up in front of them.  Mike Brown picked both John Ross and Chase.  He never valued the OL much before and still doesn't to this day.

This wasn't an OT pick.  They weren't looking for an OT.  

And, I hate to tell you, Mike Brown also drafted Willie Anderson, Levi Jones (and got mocked for it), Eric Steinbach, Whitworth etc,
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He wasn't a guy I paid any attention too. But I wanted a guard that could play tackle if needed so he checks those boxes. Im glad we picked up a couple picks along the way. Maybe use them to get back up in the 3rd.

I looked into him quite a bit.
I really liked him as a 3rd round pick.
He has shorter than 33" arms and struggled with speed on the edge at times, but he's considered to be a good shift to OG, as it will fit better with his skillset and measurables. He can also play OT if needed.

The Bengals really have to get a swing OT in Rd 3 or 4, but they might be able to make this work.
If not, they can always look to re-sign Reiff and/or sign a true OT next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Are you guys being sarcastic I can't tell lol

Carman is a badass mauling Guard that can play Tackle and is athletic enough to play in an outside zone. Great pick. Rock On

Nate, he's a fatass that struggled to keep his weight under control in college.  How do you think he will do once he has money in his hands, and is left to his own portion control?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:56 PM)Cicero Wrote: Cool story.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I'll keep them coming. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This wasn't an OT pick.  They weren't looking for an OT.  

And, I hate to tell you, Mike Brown also drafted Willie Anderson, Levi Jones (and got mocked for it), Eric Steinbach, Whitworth etc,

Bingo.

They drafted for their two biggest needs (WR and OG), and they got an OL who should be versatile (OG and OT).
People should be happy to get the guy who blocked Trevor Lawrence's blindside for the past 2+ seasons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hes not going to play tackle - i hope 

Right. Still, 18th percentile in the second round? They just whiffed on Billy Price who objectively has very short arms for an NFL lineman. 

They just made the excuse last year of having "injuries at key positions" and they go and take a guy who is coming off of back surgery. And is he mobile enough to play wide zone? I hope that he proves me wrong, but this pick makes no sense. It seems really dumb. 
Reply/Quote
Jonathan Cooper says about Carman:

For the hardest lineman he faced, Cooper said Clemson Tackle, Jackson Carman. “He’s a great tackle, he’s big, physical, light on his feet, good use of hands and he’s strong too, so definitely got to shut him down before you can beat him on the edge or hit him with a counter, he’s a pretty patient offensive tackle,” Cooper explained.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bingo.

They drafted for their two biggest needs (WR and OG), and they got an OL who should be versatile (OG and OT).
People should be happy to get the guy who blocked Trevor Lawrence's blindside for the past 2+ seasons.

I can't think of any positive about drafting him other than he is an offensive lineman.  He looks more like a 5th round prospect to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nate, he's a fatass that struggled to keep his weight under control in college.  How do you think he will do once he has money in his hands, and is left to his own portion control?

Thrown off guard by I hope Sunset sarcasm...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:00 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Jonathan Cooper says about Carman:

For the hardest lineman he faced, Cooper said Clemson Tackle, Jackson Carman. “He’s a great tackle, he’s big, physical, light on his feet, good use of hands and he’s strong too, so definitely got to shut him down before you can beat him on the edge or hit him with a counter, he’s a pretty patient offensive tackle,” Cooper explained.

Thank you. Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:35 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jackson-carman?position=OL

Carman is in the 5th percentile for arm length for an OT prospect; 18th percentile for an offensive lineman. 

He didn't have a workout I guess? Down to 317 lbs from 345 at some point. Not sure what to make of him yet. 
What to make of him is a comp of Cedric Ob..... What ever his name was.. He was a 4 or 5. Not an immediate starter imo. Only the Bengals!! This is Not a good draft so far.
Reply/Quote
The was a horrible pick. If you want to convince yourself it’s a good pick with what was on the board that’s fine, but people who hate this pick have a case. I can’t believe Tobin basically told the fans F you, a WR and 2 4th round picks are worth passing on two possible pro bowl Tackles. So pissed at this organization and Burrow too. I don’t care if he’s on his ass the whole season, shouldn't have pounded the table for Chase. Still had a chance to make it right with Jenkins but of course shit the bed again. **** this team.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:45 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate, I'm willing to give the kid a chance but I'm just skeptical of the pick.  I guess by the end of 2021 we'll know how good the pick was. Was it a Drew Sample pick or Higgins pick.

Yes we will. He needs to start being taken this early. But if not the better player should win out.

All I know is this is an immense upgrade in depth over MJ.

(04-30-2021, 09:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Had this been a Mike Brown pick, I'd be pissed because it would make no sense, but our coaches had to have had this scenario in their heads and they know more than us, especially Frank.

We also got more picks and there's going to be a run on tackles and we'd miss out if we waited longer.

Nice pick ThumbsUp

Things are different now and hopefully it leads to wins. Agreed Brad, nice move trading back and getting Carman.

Dude can pick up a car man.

(04-30-2021, 09:54 PM)kevin Wrote: You and some others don't get it.  Bengals traded back a few spots and DID take an O Lineman in Round 2.  Plus they added 2 fourth round picks so now 3 picks in round 4.   That is how you work the draft.  That is how 49ers use to draft to build their Super Bowl dynasty, trade back a little for more picks..  So Bengals added LSU Burrow to Chase combo, drafted an O Lineman in round 2, and added 2 more picks in round 4.   I love it. 

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:06 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The was a horrible pick. If you want to convince yourself it’s a good pick with what was on the board that’s fine, but people who hate this pick have a case. I can’t believe Tobin basically told the fans F you, a WR and 2 4th round picks are worth passing on two possible pro bowl Tackles. So pissed at this organization and Burrow too. I don’t care if he’s on his ass the whole season, shouldn't have pounded the table for Chase. Still had a chance to make it right with Jenkins but of course shit the bed again. **** this team.

Bye
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thrown off guard by I hope Sunset sarcasm...

I'm all about optimism, most of the time.  But, I really cannot understand the trade back and selection of Carmen.  Seems like the Bengals underestimated just how many OL were going to be taken in those 8 spots moved back, and panicked when they saw what was happening and grabbed Carmen.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but I see little about Jackson Carmen to get excited about.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We drafted him because he worked out with both Paul Alexander and Willie Anderson. Both gave the Bengals high grades on him. Tee Higgins also loved him.

He's a Cincinnati kid. So the Bengals probably knew more about him than anyone.

The Bengals felt very comfortable with him and that's why they selected him.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm all about optimism, most of the time.  But, I really cannot understand the trade back and selection of Carmen.  Seems like the Bengals underestimated just how many OL were going to be taken in those 8 spots moved back, and panicked when they saw what was happening and grabbed Carmen.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but I see little about Jackson Carmen to get excited about.

Dude, usually you know your Lineman. His name is Carman and this guy is a perfect road grading Guard for us.

Wanted this guy in the 3rd but adding a couple 4th rounders is even better. Jackson Carman played at OT for Clemson and held
his own against Chase Young and many top pass rushers. He doesn't get bullied, he is a bully and he is athletic enough to play in
the outside zone Pollack is implementing.

This guy isn't Carmen San Diego lol
Reply/Quote
Can we delete this thread please, I don't like our first thread welcoming a new team member to be such a mocking and hateful one.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dude, usually you know your Lineman. His name is Carman and this guy is a perfect road grading Guard for us.

Wanted this guy in the 3rd but adding a couple 4th rounders is even better. Jackson Carman played at OT for Clemson and held
his own against Chase Young and many top pass rushers. He doesn't get bullied, he is a bully and he is athletic enough to play in
the outside zone Pollack is implementing.

This guy isn't Carmen San Diego lol

I LOVE THE MOVE.   Trade back a little and add 2 picks in 4.  That is how 49ers use to work the draft to build Super Bowl years, Trade Backs.....So Bengals added LSU Burrow to Chase combo, took an O Lineman in 2, and have a round 3 and now have 3 picks in round 4.   That is 6 picks in first 4 rounds.   I LOVE IT......and many of you will love it also when we get to round 4.  Bengals own Round 4. 

I have no problem with The Clemson O Lineman. If this guy is a road grader and protected top pick Clemson QBs rear end, sounds like a solid Pick 2 O Lineman to me....Some are still crying over Chase over Sewell. Burrow has the timing to Chase, and now also Boyd and Higgins. The timing to all 3 is going be be the thing. People aren't seeing that Burrow will have the timing to all 3, and that is huge.....Plus we got a blocker and added extra picks in 4. GO BENGALS.

Since Clemson is a Power House team, I see no problem with a bulldozer O Lineman from Clemson. Bengals don't either.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/news/cincinnati-bengals-interested-in-clemson-offensive-lineman-jackson-carman

Also Sports Illustrated reported that this was going to be the Bengals pick 3 hours before they made it.

Paul Alexander and Willie Anderson were so glowing that they had him rated as their number one guard, so those saying we traded back and then lost our guy are wrong.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote