Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake says he's proven he's a starter and top 32 in the world at his position
But he "just happens to be on a team with a top 5 in the world, and doesn't know what that means for the future."

He mentions this in today's postgame:

I think it's good our backup thinks that and he's simultaneously right about probably being a starter elsewhere, but what are we going to do with this guy in a couple years when he's not an ERFA and we need a good backup behind Burrow?

Browning could definitely come in and win a playoff game if needed. I like to think backups are a huge part of winning super bowls because most teams are injured by the time they make it.
Reply/Quote
I think they have control over his contract for at least next year. After he leaves I wouldn’t mind them signing a decent vet who has had some success in the past depending on whoever is available then.
Reply/Quote
I agree w Jake.

He's no JB....but ...he is better than at least 25% of the starters in the league.

I also think if we didn't have a Mickey Mouse D...he could have gotten us in playoffs and maybe even won a game.
Reply/Quote
Nah. Don't think any QB needy team is thinking him as a #1 over what they have/available. Good backup, though. If he can have the alarm clock go off faster, it would be even better.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Best he can hope for is a Minshew career.

The issue with back up QB's that blossom late is well it's too late. QB needy teams are going to take their shot at the young guy more times than not.

It's why it always cracks me up when some player says they are better than a rookie and the vet wants the PT. It's not about you being better it's about the development of the young player.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I've been a big critic but I mean his fundamentals are really good. Going forward its vision processing and anticipation for Browning which means reps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:10 PM)Destro Wrote: Nah. Don't think any QB needy team is thinking him as a #1 over what they have/available. Good backup, though. If he can have the alarm clock go off faster, it would be even better.

I think you for sure can argue NE, Washington, and ATL would pick him over their current starters, and you could argue probably a couple more.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 10:57 PM)Whacked Wrote: I agree w Jake.

He's no JB....but ...he is better than at least 25% of the starters in the league.

I also think if we didn't have a Mickey Mouse D...he could have gotten us in playoffs and maybe even won a game.

The dude can't read safeties. Maybe this year he's better than 25% of the starters because they are guys with the last name Stick and Mullins. He does do somethings well and we had better offensive coaches he might have got us to the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:17 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think you for sure can argue NE, Washington, and ATL would pick him over their current starters, and you could argue probably a couple more.

NE and Washington will be doing a full reset with new, especially Washington, even though Howell was lighting it up for a portion of the year. Atlanta is a very outside possibility, but thinking they have their hands full with mediocre and it's not like Browning took over the league for the time he was in. Serviceable, yes, but at the completion of the year, not a franchise QB. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:29 PM)Destro Wrote: NE and Washington will be doing a full reset with new, especially Washington, even though Howell was lighting it up for a portion of the year. Atlanta is a very outside possibility, but thinking they have their hands full with mediocre and it's not like Browning took over the league for the time he was in. Serviceable, yes, but at the completion of the year, not a franchise QB. 

How many franchise guys would you say are in the league. I honestly believe you’re looking at no more than 12-14 “franchise guys.” I don’t think I’m arguing he’s a franchise guy. I think he’s a top 32, lower half, 25-32. However I do agree, no one is going to hand him the starting job after next year he’s going to have to earn it, but he now has a much better chance at that now, then before this year.
Reply/Quote
I had this same debate a few weeks back and then I said folks will "come calling" if we make the Playoffs under Jake. Now, IDK. At a minimum, we have one of the best backups in the league; at maximum, someone throws us a pick in the 3rd.

I do know Jake's performance proved a lot of folks wrong.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I had this same debate a few weeks back and then I said folks will "come calling" if we make the Playoffs under Jake. Now, IDK. At a minimum, we have one of the best backups in the league; at maximum, someone throws us a pick in the 3rd.

I do know Jake's performance proved a lot of folks wrong.

Sure proved me wrong; I thought he'd be a tire fire.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:33 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: How many franchise guys would you say are in the league. I honestly believe you’re looking at no more than 12-14 “franchise guys.” I don’t think I’m arguing he’s a franchise guy. I think he’s a top 32, lower half, 25-32. However I do agree, no one is going to hand him the starting job after next year he’s going to have to earn it, but he now has a much better chance at that now, then before this year.

He misses a lot of open receivers and cannot make all the throws.  His fastball is an 85 on a good day IMO.

25-32 is 7 squads, what team would he be QB1 on in 2024?  I really do not know any.

Washington has the #2 pick
NE has the #3 pick
ATL is at 8.

Who would be the other 4?
If the Broncos do move on from Russ they might be an outside chance...?

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He misses a lot of open receivers and cannot make all the throws.  His fastball is an 85 on a good day IMO.

25-32 is 7 squads, what team would he be QB1 on in 2024?  I really do not know any.

Washington has the #2 pick
NE has the #3 pick
ATL is at 8.

Who would be the other 4?
If the Broncos do move on from Russ they might be an outside chance...?

We haven’t had a strong armed QB since Palmer. He can make enough of the throws to be a starter. He threw some dimes in his starts. He was 4-3 this year after our top 5 QB was 5-4 before being injured. Yes Burrow was hurt, but his record is his record. (Burrow is still a million times better than Browning so don’t twist my words around)

Mac Jones doesn’t do that for us,
Aiden O’Connell doesn’t
Sam Howell probably doesn’t
Des doesn’t
Whoever the Jets trotted out doesn’t
Minshew probably doesn’t either

Browning was also paired with a bottom 2 defense in his 7 starts.

Raiders would be an option. Vikings if they don’t resign Cousins. I’m sure there are others. Anyway, hypotheticals aren’t going to do any good. I believe he is a top 32 QB, whether he gets a chance or not is a completely different scenario.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:18 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We haven’t had a strong armed QB since Palmer. He can make enough of the throws to be a starter. He threw some dimes in his starts. He was 4-3 this year after our top 5 QB was 5-4 before being injured. Yes Burrow was hurt, but his record is his record. (Burrow is still a million times better than Browning so don’t twist my words around)

Mac Jones doesn’t do that for us,
Aiden O’Connell doesn’t
Sam Howell probably doesn’t
Des doesn’t
Whoever the Jets trotted out doesn’t
Minshew probably doesn’t either

Browning was also paired with a bottom 2 defense in his 7 starts.

Raiders would be an option. Vikings if they don’t resign Cousins. I’m sure there are others. Anyway, hypotheticals aren’t going to do any good. I believe he is a top 32 QB, whether he gets a chance or not is a completely different scenario.

I disagree on the throws, his jumpballs to Tee were tough to watch, he throws a slow ball and doesnt have great placement nor does he see the field all that well, in my personal opinion.  

But as to potential teams...

Surely NE is taking a QB at #2?

If Washington isnt then they are all in on Howell.

Garroppolo is not going anywhere but Vegas, he is their guy and O'Connell did well.

Falcons really not taking a QB at #8?  Are they a potential Justin Fields destination?  I would think they have higher visions than Jake Browning.

Jets are counting on ARod.

Colts have Anthony Richardson.

Cousins wants to retire a Viking.

It would seem Jake is playing for the vet minimum in Cincy in 2024, unless a QB is injured in the preseason, and then we could probably get much more in an emergency situation than we could this offseason.  

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:33 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I disagree on the throws, his jumpballs to Tee were tough to watch, he throws a slow ball and doesnt have great placement nor does he see the field all that well, in my personal opinion.  

But as to potential teams...

Surely NE is taking a QB at #2?

If Washington isnt then they are all in on Howell.

Garroppolo is not going anywhere but Vegas, he is their guy and O'Connell did well.

Falcons really not taking a QB at #8?  Are they a potential Justin Fields destination?  I would think they have higher visions than Jake Browning.

Jets are counting on ARod.

Colts have Anthony Richardson.

Cousins wants to retire a Viking.

It would seem Jake is playing for the vet minimum in Cincy in 2024, unless a QB is injured in the preseason, and then we could probably get much more in an emergency situation than we could this offseason.  

He’s not going anywhere next year, so all this hypothetical is stupid, but like I said, what teams do with their QBs is irrelevant to if JB6 is a top 32 Qb. This year, he showed he is. You don’t agree? Cool.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He’s not going anywhere next year, so all this hypothetical is stupid, but like I said, what teams do with their QBs is irrelevant to if JB6 is a top 32 Qb. This year, he showed he is. You don’t agree? Cool.

If Jake were a Top 32 QB we would likely be getting offers starting tomorrow.  We will see if there is interest.  If a team thinks he is a Top 32 guy then I tip my hat to you.

Another scenario which I might be able to agree with you is if NE or someone does take a QB early and they want Jake to be their bridge to the new guy or maybe insurance...?

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:43 AM)casear2727 Wrote: If Jake were a Top 32 QB we would likely be getting offers starting tomorrow.  We will see if there is interest.  If a team thinks he is a Top 32 guy then I tip my hat to you.

Another scenario which I might be able to agree with you is if NE or someone does take a QB early and they want Jake to be their bridge to the new guy or maybe insurance...?

Tell me when a 25-32 QB received substantial trade capital. You’re really consuming top 32 with franchise guy and it’s really clouding your judgement.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:48 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Tell me when a 25-32 QB received substantial trade capital. You’re really consuming top 32 with franchise guy and it’s really clouding your judgement.

Please reference the part where I said, "substantial trade capital".   

"Consuming" seems to be an odd word to use in this context...

You really are not very good at this message board thingy.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:55 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Please reference the part where I said, "substantial trade capital".   

"Consuming" seems to be an odd word to use in this context...

You really are not very good at this message board thingy.

*confusing.

Well I’d rather be bad at a message board than terrible with people which seems to be what you’re bad at. Getting really upset and hateful over different opinions. For someone who knows so many players, you sure don’t seem to know much about football.
Reply/Quote