Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Laurinaitis
Recently released by Rams and had a decent season, I've seen him play and he is quite decent, would provide a immediate impact if we don't draft a LB or can't get Danny Trevathan..

He is a bit older so that is a disclaimer, he is 29.

Thoughts? (Sorry for all these threads lol)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637315/article/rams-cut-chris-long-james-laurinaitis-jared-cook

2015-2016 Stats: 109 Tackles, 1.0 Sack, 1 INT.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
He's a slightly better Vincent Rey/AJ Hawk.

Still technically an upgrade though.
Probably concerned a guy with that much experience leading a defense couldn't learn ours... /sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Cut? Yes.

Former OSU player? Yes.

I'm sure he's on our radar.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Cut? Yes.

Former OSU player? Yes.

Apparently his father is a wrestler too. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:36 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Apparently his father is a wrestler too. Big Grin

LOD member Animal
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd definitely be on board adding James at the right price.

Anybody know what's been going on with Chris long lately? Is he worth a look? Doesn't seem like it was that long ago he was putting up about 10 sacks a year
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Cut? Yes.

Former OSU player? Yes.

You forgot the somewhat old requirement.... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:39 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'd definitely be on board adding James at the right price.

Anybody know what's been going on with Chris long lately? Is he worth a look? Doesn't seem like it was that long ago he was putting up about 10 sacks a year

Couple of down seasons and pricey.. Was getting paid nearly $8mil a year and had 3 sacks and 1 sack in 2015-2016 and 2014-2015. I'd be up for taking him but not for much tho.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:41 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Couple of down seasons and pricey.. Was getting paid nearly $8mil a year and had 3 sacks and 1 sack in 2015-2016 and 2014-2015. I'd be up for taking him but not for much tho.

Has it been injuries or has his play just fallen off that much?

Either way at the right price he could be a worthwhile reclaimation project. Can't be worse than Hunt right?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:48 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Has it been injuries or has his play just fallen off that much?

Either way at the right price he could be a worthwhile reclaimation project. Can't be worse than Hunt right?

Hell, if sees the field at all, he's better than Hunt.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:41 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Couple of down seasons and pricey.. Was getting paid nearly $8mil a year and had 3 sacks and 1 sack in 2015-2016 and 2014-2015. I'd be up for taking him but not for much tho.

(02-19-2016, 05:48 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Has it been injuries or has his play just fallen off that much?

I don't think he ever fit in real well with Fisher and some injuries yes. 
Only six games in 2014 and 12 in 2015.
Before that had never missed a game. 
Reply/Quote
Consider it like this. If you cut Maualuga, you save roughly $7.8m.

So if you give Laurinaitis 3yr/$21m, it's essentially giving yourself a big upgrade at LB for $13.2m more over three years. James has never missed a single game (played 99.7%, 99.0%, 99.0%, and 100% of the snaps the last four years), never had less than 100 tackles, never been blanked in the sack stat, is generally good for 1-2 INT.

While I would prefer Travathan, this seems like a more likely option that the Bengals would actually do since it's less money AND he's been cut rather than being a FA, so it doesn't mess with their love of 5th round compensatory picks.

Early Draft Pick/Laurinaitis/Burfict could be a pretty good group. (Though if the Rams are in this big shedding mode for moving, I would see if they have any interest in trading Ogletree.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can we also pick up Chris Long as a Dingleberry upgrade?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 08:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Consider it like this. If you cut Maualuga, you save roughly $7.8m.

So if you give Laurinaitis 3yr/$21m, it's essentially giving yourself a big upgrade at LB for $13.2m more over three years. James has never missed a single game (played 99.7%, 99.0%, 99.0%, and 100% of the snaps the last four years), never had less than 100 tackles, never been blanked in the sack stat, is generally good for 1-2 INT.

While I would prefer Travathan, this seems like a more likely option that the Bengals would actually do since it's less money AND he's been cut rather than being a FA, so it doesn't mess with their love of 5th round compensatory picks.

Early Draft Pick/Laurinaitis/Burfict could be a pretty good group. (Though if the Rams are in this big shedding mode for moving, I would see if they have any interest in trading Ogletree.)

For what they ask Maualuga to do, he isn't better. In our system, he'd be another SLB/WLB replacing Hawk and/or VRey. 
It's not a big upgrade, Rams fans are not even sort of mad about this. 

(02-19-2016, 09:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Can we also pick up Chris Long as a Dingleberry upgrade?

3rd down DE kick MJ inside now. I'd be down for that
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 08:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Consider it like this. If you cut Maualuga, you save roughly $7.8m.

3yr/21M??  Seems a bit high, for a man that played 18 out of 32 games the past two years..

I like what he brings, but he needs to prove that he can stay healthy.  How about 2yr/9M?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 10:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 3yr/21M??  Seems a bit high, for a man that played 18 out of 32 games the past two years..

I like what he brings, but he needs to prove that he can stay healthy.  How about 2yr/9M?

Pretty positive you're talking about someone entirely different, Sunset.

James Laurinaitis has started every single game of his career. So I am not sure who you're talking about at all here, Sunset. I even posted his defensive snap counts for the last 4 years. 99.7%, 99.0%, 99.0%, and 100%... you pretty much can't get any healthier or realistically play much more than that.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 11:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty positive you're talking about someone entirely different, Sunset.

James Laurinaitis has started every single game of his career. So I am not sure who you're talking about at all here, Sunset. I even posted his defensive snap counts for the last 4 years. 99.7%, 99.0%, 99.0%, and 100%... you pretty much can't get any healthier or realistically play much more than that.

Sunset must be thinking of the other Ram that got released (Chris Long). 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 02:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sunset must be thinking of the other Ram that got released (Chris Long). 

Must be. I was just confused enough by his reply that I had to double check my post to make sure *I* wasn't the one getting things mixed up. Lol

Reply/Quote

You make a great case for an upgrade.  Funny enough it would have to be the Ohio/cut/OSU/close to 30's type vet everyone mentions to target and the resume you mention to unseat the plan of Rey in the Maualuga in the middle.  We debate Vinny's worth in how many hats he wears, but Laurinaitis logging all that time means they trust him in coverage and as the heart of that defense.  Though Cincy rotates defenders, Denver drew blood when they went no huddle at the end of the year.  First time all year I remember feeling the defense looked helpless out there.  That wasn't just Geno's trait issue, guys were gassed out there.  Give me a seasoned warrior with a prime season or two left for the right price and it would make a difference if someone tries it next year.  I really like the rotation you menion.  Heck, upgrading to a solid 3 down MLB means for the short term I'm not crying if they don't draft a LB early, and I've been clamoring for one all offseason.  I'd be fine with Burfict/Laurinaitis/Vinny/Dawson/mid round rookie/Flowers and others competing.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:19 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's a slightly better Vincent Rey/AJ Hawk.

Still technically an upgrade though.
Probably concerned a guy with that much experience leading a defense couldn't learn ours... /sarcasm

Hum, he's had more than 100 tackles every year in the league and was drafted the same year as Rey Maualuga. Maualuga has only had 100 tackles once.

In 7 years, Maualuga has had 557 tackles, 4 total sacks, 6 INTs and 19 passes defended.

In 7 years, Laurinaitis has had 852 tackles, 16.5 sacks, 10 INTs and 34 passes defended.

Depending on health he could be an upgrade at the MLB spot.

Neither Laurinaitis or Maualuga are going to play for that many more years. But, from NFL games logs, Laurinaitis has started all 16 games in every one of his 7 years.

Reply/Quote