Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Laurinaitis
(03-01-2016, 01:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know your overall point is to prove the tackle stat is overrated, but you did use PFF to prove your point. I don't disagree that maybe Laurinaitis is a bit overrated, but we're comparing him to who he'd be replacing. Maualuga. I'm not sure why you think he'd definitely be a SLB here, outside of the fact our coaches seem to love Rey M. 

He's been a MLB in a 4-3 for his entire career and he's the same size as Rey M (255 lbs).

As for the tackle stats and JL needing every snap, I'd be curious to see a numbers comparison for Rey M and JL if you took their 2015 numbers and rounded them up to 1000 snaps. I do know that JL has made far more plays in his career (INTs, sacks, recoveries) and has more tackles, so I'm struggling to see where he wouldn't be at least a slight upgrade.

Again, I'm not a big Laurinaitis fan and I'd much rather we sign Trevathan or even Chris Long in FA. Heck, I could probably compile a list of players I'd rather sign than JL, but I do think he's a solid player. Probably better than Rey M.

a lot of who gets the tackles is dictated by the scheme the defense runs for instance our defense seems to force things to the will backer to finish the most often as for the past 4 years i think that position has lead the team in tackles even with a backup there.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 05:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: a lot of who gets the tackles is dictated by the scheme the defense runs

[Image: 60275424.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:17 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Recently released by Rams and had a decent season, I've seen him play and he is quite decent, would provide a immediate impact if we don't draft a LB or can't get Danny Trevathan..

He is a bit older so that is a disclaimer, he is 29.

Thoughts? (Sorry for all these threads lol)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637315/article/rams-cut-chris-long-james-laurinaitis-jared-cook

2015-2016 Stats: 109 Tackles, 1.0 Sack, 1 INT.

All for this guy. I think he still has some left in the tank and he is a very selfless player and an upgrade
over all but 2 of our Linebackers right now. Burfict is definately much better but it is almost a push
between him and Maualuga and he is better than Hawk and Vinny for sure.

Dawson and Flowers might be good, especially Dawson but we do not know this for sure.

Yeah, bring in James is my vote here.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 03:20 AM)phil413 Wrote: You make a great case for an upgrade.  Funny enough it would have to be the Ohio/cut/OSU/close to 30's type vet everyone mentions to target and the resume you mention to unseat the plan of Rey in the Maualuga in the middle.  We debate Vinny's worth in how many hats he wears, but Laurinaitis logging all that time means they trust him in coverage and as the heart of that defense.  Though Cincy rotates defenders, Denver drew blood when they went no huddle at the end of the year.  First time all year I remember feeling the defense looked helpless out there.  That wasn't just Geno's trait issue, guys were gassed out there.  Give me a seasoned warrior with a prime season or two left for the right price and it would make a difference if someone tries it next year.  I really like the rotation you menion.  Heck, upgrading to a solid 3 down MLB means for the short term I'm not crying if they don't draft a LB early, and I've been clamoring for one all offseason.  I'd be fine with Burfict/Laurinaitis/Vinny/Dawson/mid round rookie/Flowers and others competing.  

This is a great observation about the Denver game last year.  I realize the Cardinal game had them looking like a MASH unit, but I felt the same way.  They had gotten away from the rotation that made them successful early in the season.  I really hope Hardison shows this year, and they acquire an improved option at RDE to pressure the QB.  Noah Spence at #24?  Probably won't be there, but he'd certainly be an upgrade.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote