Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jan 6 Hearings
(06-10-2022, 11:34 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Or, and hear me out, not all conservatives are flag waving raving Q-Anon lunatics, closeted or not.

I don't think anybody is saying that. I'd say there's a large subgroup that are quite extreme though, devout Trump supporters at least, it's the most powerful group in fact. If they weren't, Trump would be long gone and GOP candidates would not mercilessly beg for his endorsement. Many others are diminishing the vast influence of these extremes, possibly including you.

And what is the dangerous part of all that, almost the entire GOP is unwilling to denounce various open coup attempts, like in the end also the Capitol storm was. They call it a legitimate political protest and censore those that don't agree. Things those raving Q-Anon lunatics like, but all the other conservatives that also believe in democracy should detest with a passion. I for one greatly miss this sentiment in conservatives, and that's what I would hold against most.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 11:34 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Or, and hear me out, not all conservatives are flag waving raving Q-Anon lunatics, closeted or not.

Right but this thread is about the incident caused by the cult of personality nuts spurred on by a guy who went from NYC Democrat playboy to face of the most cult-hungry sects of the GOP.

Also, as others have pointed out there are actual establishment Republicans on the committee.  Liberals having to root for a Cheney while the moral majority likens Trump to Jesus. 

Reality....i can't. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right but this thread is about the incident caused by the cult of personality nuts spurred on by a guy who went from NYC Democrat playboy to face of the most cult-hungry sects of the GOP.

Also, as others have pointed out there are actual establishment Republicans on the committee.  Liberals having to root for a Cheney while the moral majority likens Trump to Jesus. 

Reality....i can't. 

My hope is that these hearings do enough damage to Trump that he can't run in '24.  Let DeSantis/Haley mop the floor with whoever the Dems put up.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Also, as others have pointed out there are actual establishment Republicans on the committee.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nancy-pelosi-vetoes-republicans-january-6-committee-11626904913
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:48 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nancy-pelosi-vetoes-republicans-january-6-committee-11626904913

I guess im thinking about Liz Cheney reading those text messages about Trump and Fox and what not.  The "Rinos" joining the witch hunt and all that.  
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right but this thread is about the incident caused by the cult of personality nuts spurred on by a guy who went from NYC Democrat playboy to face of the most cult-hungry sects of the GOP.

Reality....i can't. 

Yeah I get that. My reply was specific to the insinuation that if you live in a mostly conservative area you don’t have to feel the need to foam at the mouth and fly your Let’s Go Brandon (the lamest shit, maybe ever BTW) flag since there are no libs to own. I guess I mean the people I’m talking about wouldn’t do that regardless and are no fans of the Capital lunatics or Trump himself while somehow, some way, also managing to be conservative.

Reality, right? lol libs pulling for a Cheney and Rudy Giuliani, formerly America’s Mayor standing in front of Four Seasons Landscaping with shoe polish running down his face. What, thee hell, are we doing here?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:59 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Yeah I get that. My reply was specific to the insinuation that if you live in a mostly conservative area you don’t have to feel the need to foam at the mouth and fly your Let’s Go Brandon (the lamest shit, maybe ever BTW) flag since there are no libs to own. I guess I mean the people I’m talking about wouldn’t do that regardless and are no fans of the Capital lunatics or Trump himself while somehow, some way, also managing to be conservative.

Reality, right? lol libs pulling for a Cheney and Rudy Giuliani, formerly America’s Mayor standing in front of Four Seasons Landscaping with shoe polish running down his face. What, thee hell, are we doing here?

Im saying there are few liberals here to own and the flags still fly to signal affiliation I'd assume. 

My buddy wears a Pittsburgh pirates hat because that's his team. He doesn't just put in on and drive to st Louis so he can cheese off cardinals fans. 

Also I think Trump fans have a sense that they are defying and fighting a universal "them" sort of enemy.  You need to constantly wear your affiliation to the right side constantly. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im saying there are few liberals here to own and the flags still fly to signal affiliation I'd assume. 

My buddy wears a Pittsburgh pirates hat because that's his team. He doesn't just put in on and drive to st Louis so he can cheese off cardinals fans. 

That’s why I was asking you all about it yesterday. I just don’t see it where I’m at really at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My hope is that these hearings do enough damage to Trump that he can't run in '24.  Let DeSantis/Haley mop the floor with whoever the Dems put up.

You still hold that hope... well, I hope so too. I see no reason for any optimism though. Imho it seems once you stay loyal and overlook that many bad Trump deeds, one more or less doesn't really matter. People are dug in way too deep in that hole.

Also, I hold these things against DeSantis. Especially the "Days after the election, in an appearance on Fox News, he suggested that the Republican-controlled Legislatures in Pennsylvania and Michigan should overturn results in those states" part. You willing to look past that?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 01:10 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: That’s why I was asking you all about it yesterday. I just don’t see it where I’m at really at all.

Seems like a real hit with the small town folks, particularly the lower economic areas.  You don't see the flags and signs up in the nicer neighborhoods, generally. 

That probably goes for lots of stuff, but yea guy down the road has has his Trump signs in his yard for I guess nearly 3 years by this point. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 01:21 PM)hollodero Wrote: You still hold that hope... well, I hope so too. I see no reason for any optimism though. Imho it seems once you stay loyal and overlook that many bad Trump deeds, one more or less doesn't really matter. People are dug in way too deep in that hole.

Also, I hold these things against DeSantis. Especially the "Days after the election, in an appearance on Fox News, he suggested that the Republican-controlled Legislatures in Pennsylvania and Michigan should overturn results in those states" part. You willing to look past that?

I think he'd do a good job as POTUS, personally.  I'm not a fan of everything he's said or done, but I'm sure a huge percentage of Biden voters will say the same thing.  I'd prefer Haley being the head of the ticket, I think she'd be even better.  But that's not likely to happen.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 01:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think he'd do a good job as POTUS, personally.  I'm not a fan of everything he's said or done, but I'm sure a huge percentage of Biden voters will say the same thing.  I'd prefer Haley being the head of the ticket, I think she'd be even better.  But that's not likely to happen.

I think Paul Ryan is actively courting the moderates and his being out of the spotlight during these unpleasant years will benefit his position. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 01:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think he'd do a good job as POTUS, personally.  I'm not a fan of everything he's said or done, but I'm sure a huge percentage of Biden voters will say the same thing.  I'd prefer Haley being the head of the ticket, I think she'd be even better.  But that's not likely to happen.

No it is not likely. But for sure, I understand that most candidates come with a history one doesn't exactly appreciate as a whole.

It's just, when it comes to endorsing coup attempts (and that's what overturning duly certified election results is, a coup, nothing less), I reach a breaking point. I couldn't look past such a thing and have to assume this guy does not believe in democracy.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: No it is not likely. But for sure, I understand that most candidates come with a history one doesn't exactly appreciate as a whole.

It's just, when it comes to endorsing coup attempts (and that's what overturning duly certified election results is, a coup, nothing less), I reach a breaking point. I couldn't look past such a thing and have to assume this guy does not believe in democracy.

I guess that will be one of the tests in 2022/2024: Is supporting the usurpation of our historically peaceful transfer of power a non-starter for voters? 

Some have already cast their stone. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: No it is not likely. But for sure, I understand that most candidates come with a history one doesn't exactly appreciate as a whole.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe he supported the "stolen election" in the very early days and then really never commented on it again.  So, and I am, of course, speculating here, he could have thought it had some merit originally and then exited stage right once it became apparent it did not.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:22 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I guess that will be one of the tests in 2022/2024: Is supporting the usurpation of our historically peaceful transfer of power a non-starter for voters? 

Some have already cast their stone. 

Dude, when gas is approaching $8 a gallon in some areas of the country and inflation is running rampant no one but hard core Dems are going to give two shits about 01/06 on election day.  Have whatever opinion on that you like, but don't think it's not going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dude, when gas is approaching $8 a gallon in some areas of the country and inflation is running rampant no one but hard core Dems are going to give two shits about 01/06 on election day.  Have whatever opinion on that you like, but don't think it's not going to happen.

I believe that humans have the mental capacity to care about multiple things simultaneously.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:32 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I believe that humans have the mental capacity to care about multiple things simultaneously.

I completely agree.  That doesn't refute my point though.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I completely agree.  That doesn't refute my point though.

Well you mentioned inflation and gas prices as if they are a reason to not care about these hearings and I'm just saying it isn't an either/or choice. You can care about inflation and also care about an assault on our democracy and how deep that rabbit hole goes. Both can be very relevant when deciding who to vote for. 

You also seem to be implying if you care about inflation then you would most likely vote republican and I'm not really convinced that's true either. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 02:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well you mentioned inflation and gas prices as if they are a reason to not care about these hearings and I'm just saying it isn't an either/or choice. You can care about inflation and also care about an assault on our democracy and how deep that rabbit hole goes. Both can be very relevant when deciding who to vote for.

No, I did not.  I responded to the assertion that this issue would be a determinizing factor in the '22 and '24 elections.  I pointed out why I disagreed with that assertion. 

Quote:You also seem to be implying if you care about inflation then you would most likely vote republican and I'm not really convinced that's true either. 

Really?  Whichever party is in charge at the time will be blamed by the vast, vast majority of voters.  Honestly, you really sound like you're indulging in some wishful thinking here.
Reply/Quote