Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Jay Glazer on Zac Taylor
(01-22-2019, 12:44 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd be very curious to see why a position coach would turn down the opportunity to jump straight to being a head coach in the NFL.

People can bag on the Bengals FO all they want, but Marvin managed to get to the playoffs seven times during his tenure. So despite whatever restrictions or pitfalls the Bengals may impose, Marvin proved that you can win here despite that.

Exactly. And that was under Mike for the most part. I think it’s clear things are a lot different recently, which to me suggests Katie’s time has come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 12:44 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd be very curious to see why a position coach would turn down the opportunity to jump straight to being a head coach in the NFL.

People can bag on the Bengals FO all they want, but Marvin managed to get to the playoffs seven times during his tenure.  So despite whatever restrictions or pitfalls the Bengals may impose, Marvin proved that you can win here despite that.

depends on the situation and team...  I for instance wouldn't have taken the browns job as a first time head coach when they were firing coaches every year.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 12:44 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd be very curious to see why a position coach would turn down the opportunity to jump straight to being a head coach in the NFL.

People can bag on the Bengals FO all they want, but Marvin managed to get to the playoffs seven times during his tenure. So despite whatever restrictions or pitfalls the Bengals may impose, Marvin proved that you can win here despite that.

Hey there BB, some common sense.

No way Taylor turns down this job, no way.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: depends on the situation and team...  I for instance wouldn't have taken the browns job as a first time head coach when they were firing coaches every year.

Get paid millions of dollars in a year, i know it is the Stains, but you would take that...
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Does anyone else find it ironic that it was the Rams that fired Jeff Fisher (white Marvin Lewis) and took off after he was gone?  The guy that had Goff as a borderline 3rd starter, inactive on game day?  

Now we are taking one of their coaches to hopefully inject some creativity and enthusiasm in this boring team.

You DO remember how brilliant a player Goff was his rookie year, right?

The oline was fixed and that horridly inept offense with a bunch of studs, became phenomenal overnight.

Goff needed a year to get better.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 12:30 PM)McC Wrote: The teams that played yesterday were definitely the four best teams--the coaching, the level of play, the QBs...........

......the offensive lines.......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 01:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Get paid millions of dollars in a year, i know it is the Stains, but you would take that...

yeah maybe but if your goal is to be a HC a long time sometimes you gotta wait for the right opportunity and not just take the first thing.

if you pick the wrong team have a horrible season do to what was left over for you.   Get fired you might never get a shot again.

if your goal is fast money sure grab the first deal you can
Reply/Quote
It is so nice gaining respect and knowing others respect what the bengals are doing. I’m tired of being laughed at for continuing to have merv at the helm. I think Taylor will draft character guys, and who knows, maybe we get a good free agent or two. I’m sure he wants to have a say in everything done like the clap did. We have the pieces, once we add via draft and maybe 1 or 2 free agents we could be very good next year. I don’t consider this to be a rebuilding year yet
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: fisher was there to help move the franchise.

He was also there too long and the game had long past him by...just like Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: I get the sentiment, but we can't really say that.  Fisher won a NFCCG, and coached in a SB.  Mediocre Merv never even sniffed that.  Jim Mora is closer to being the white Merv, but even he won titles in the USFL.  Merv is pretty much in uncharted territory.

Well, Fisher may have gone farther but never won it all.  He was around way too long and the game had passed him by.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 01:39 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You DO remember how brilliant a player Goff was his rookie year, right?

The oline was fixed and that horridly inept offense with a bunch of studs, became phenomenal overnight.

Goff needed a year to get better.

I know he was given 3rd string snaps early on and their offense had about as much creativity as, well, Marv.  

And I give a lot more credit to the coaches than the line being "fixed".  Not exactly sure what moves they did in one season, but my point is that Fisher was around way too long and the game had passed him by, just like Marv. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know he was given 3rd string snaps early on and their offense had about as much creativity as, well, Marv.  

And I give a lot more credit to the coaches than the line being "fixed".  Not exactly sure what moves they did in one season, but my point is that Fisher was around way too long and the game had passed him by, just like Marv. 

Yep !

At some point in every HC's career, with the exception of Darth Hoodie, their message becomes stale, players aren't buying what they're selling, the game passes them by, however you want to put it.

Fisher was essentially in the same boat as Marvin Lewis. Lewis should have been gone several years ago.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know he was given 3rd string snaps early on and their offense had about as much creativity as, well, Marv.  

Fisher was clearly the problem there, on the whole, but him not playing Goff was actually a good decision, as he was putrid that rookie year; people even said he'd need a year of S&C and experience, before he could start.

Literally, they added Sullivan and Whitworth et voila; the EXACT same team is exponentially better.

They further improved this year and that further improved their offensive numbers.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 11:52 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Fisher was clearly the problem there, on the whole, but him not playing Goff was actually a good decision, as he was putrid that rookie year; people even said he'd need a year of S&C and experience, before he could start.

Literally, they added Sullivan and Whitworth et voila; the EXACT same team is exponentially better.

They further improved this year and that further improved their offensive numbers.

I remember the Training Camp episode they asked Goff a question, and he said something really stupid. Can't remember the question, but I couldn't believe how naive he sounded or not very bright. Sometimes people just have to grow up, apparently he did.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 11:52 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Fisher was clearly the problem there, on the whole, but him not playing Goff was actually a good decision, as he was putrid that rookie year; people even said he'd need a year of S&C and experience, before he could start.

I hear ya, but a lot of people thought the same thing about Mayfield not starting for the Browns, and if he had from Day 1, there is a very good chance they make the playoffs.  

I just think the scheme they ran was boring and conservative, while McVeigh has a very creative scheme and he made the QB play easier in year 1 and gave him a lot more in year 2.  They were talking about Goff on Sirius XM NFL Radio and someone mentioned how they felt where Goff had the greatest improvement this year was when he had to go off script and improvise.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear ya, but a lot of people thought the same thing about Mayfield not starting for the Browns, and if he had from Day 1, there is a very good chance they make the playoffs.  

I just think the scheme they ran was boring and conservative, while McVeigh has a very creative scheme and he made the QB play easier in year 1 and gave him a lot more in year 2.  They were talking about Goff on Sirius XM NFL Radio and someone mentioned how they felt where Goff had the greatest improvement this year was when he had to go off script and improvise.  

Which is definitely coaching as well; train the guy to be put in the best situation so when he DOES go off script, he knows what to do.

Mayfield starts, they definitely still don't make playoffs, I feel.

He's not a major QB and never will be; got very lucky at times and his attitude may be a downfall.
Reply/Quote
My hope is that the Browns become just good enough to beat the Steelers and bad enough to lose to everyone else!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 03:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Which is definitely coaching as well; train the guy to be put in the best situation so when he DOES go off script, he knows what to do.

He's not a major QB and never will be; got very lucky at times and his attitude may be a downfall.

But, but how can you say that, Truck?  He's got the entire city of Cleveland energized and believing in them, for the 1st time in two generations.  You just wait and see, he'll be hoisting the Lombardi next season, and likely dedicate it to Hue Jackson...    Ninja Hilarious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 04:56 PM)Earendil Wrote: My hope is that the Browns become just good enough to beat the Steelers and bad enough to lose to everyone else!

:andy:
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 03:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Which is definitely coaching as well; train the guy to be put in the best situation so when he DOES go off script, he knows what to do.

Mayfield makes all the throws.  He is legit.
Reply/Quote