Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jelani Woods / CJ Uzomah
(04-03-2022, 04:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: Most experts don't even have Woods as a Top 5 TE in what is a pretty weak class. His average prospect rating is 117 overall per NFLMDD's Consensus Big Board, which is only 8th best among TE's.  It would be a shock to see him go in the 2nd.  I personally think he's getting pumped up too high based on his traits and the Bengals need for a TE.  I would be fine taking him, but not before day 3 and certainly not in the 2nd.  

Keep in mind that while his numbers last year were good, he was 5th on the Cavaliers in receiving yards.  Are we really going to spend a 2nd round pick on the #5 receiving option for a 6-6 ACC school?  

I'd have more faith in Jelani Woods than the likes of Jeremy Ruckert and Cade Otton, who never put up more than 350 yards in a single collegiate season. I also like Woods more than Greg Dulcich and think he has more potential than Jake Ferguson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Woods as the third TE taken, behind McBride and Likely.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 04:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: Most experts don't even have Woods as a Top 5 TE in what is a pretty weak class. His average prospect rating is 117 overall per NFLMDD's Consensus Big Board, which is only 8th best among TE's.  It would be a shock to see him go in the 2nd.  I personally think he's getting pumped up too high based on his traits and the Bengals need for a TE.  I would be fine taking him, but not before day 3 and certainly not in the 2nd.  

Keep in mind that while his numbers last year were good, he was 5th on the Cavaliers in receiving yards.  Are we really going to spend a 2nd round pick on the #5 receiving option for a 6-6 ACC school?  

This is a solid TE class. The top isn't Kyle Pitts but the middle of it has alot of guys I have graded late day 2 early day 3 where I didnt in 2021. Overall this is a better class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 09:55 PM)Synric Wrote: This is a solid TE class. The top isn't Kyle Pitts but the middle of it has alot of guys I have graded late day 2 early day 3 where I didnt in 2021. Overall this is a better class.

There are currently no TE's in the Top 50(at least the consensus Top 50).  Last year, there were two(Pitts and Freiermuth).   What typically happens when there's that big of a void at the top is prospects start getting slid up the board a round or two higher than where they should normally go based on need.  I mean, the fact that Cade Otton(aka Drew Sample 2.0) is a Top 5 TE in this class really says it all.  There are some interesting Day 3 project players like Woods, but there's no way I'm taking him in the 3rd.  With the cluster of guys graded in the 90-130 range, you can probably get a decent value in round 5.  
Reply/Quote
I'm late to the Jelani Woods bandwagon. But I'm on board. So far my favorite TE I've looked at.
Reply/Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-0nn4Pel0  Might wanna watch this video from a guy whose one of the best evaluators out there. 3rd rated TE in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 09:55 PM)Synric Wrote: This is a solid TE class. The top isn't Kyle Pitts but the middle of it has alot of guys I have graded late day 2 early day 3 where I didnt in 2021. Overall this is a better class.

Probably 1 TE maybe 2 in round 2. And then about 5 in round 3 and 4.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 08:05 PM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: Jelani Woods
6’7” 259lbs
4.61 40 yd
24 bench

CJ Uzomah
6’5” 262 lbs
4.63 40 yd
19 bench

Scouting reports pointed out that both are long striders and are quick in small space. As well as both being natural catchers. Like CJ, Jelani will need to develop as a blocker. Like his highlights though didn’t get to watch much of his games this year. Jelani had much more production his last year of college and will probably go higher. Could be a mid round target to develop as was done with CJ.

Possibly a lazy comparison. What are your guys thoughts on Jelani?

Woods has a RAS (relative athletic score) of 10.0, I believe, which makes him the most athletic TE in the draft since something like 1975.  He will likely be way overdrafted because of this.  His vertical and short shuttle are insane for a guy his size, and  he didn't have the greatest QB getting him the ball. 

My thoughts, no matter how enticing a red zone threat he may be, is that he is not a very natural catcher of the football and has a LOT of double-clutch catches that might be breakups in the NFL, or worse. 

He doesn't look fluid in his moves, either.  That being said he is EXTREMELY raw in terms of number of routes run in actual games, and targets.  

His athleticism will get him drafted early...like maybe even the 2nd round, but I wouldn't touch him before the 4th or maybe even 5th round.  Just my two cents.  
Reply/Quote
I thought Vernon Davis was the most athletic TE prospect ever, in terms of measurables. He wasn't/isn't tall for a TE, but he ran a sub 4.4 40 and had a ridiculous vertical for someone roughly 250 pounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 02:18 AM)pulses Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-0nn4Pel0  Might wanna watch this video from a guy whose one of the best evaluators out there. 3rd rated TE in the draft.

How can argue with a guy who's You Tube video has 14k views?  Seriously, what's with all the Madden rating content on his 5 year old channel.  Looks like an amateur draftnik following his passion, which is cool and all, but his word isn't something I'd be throwing up here as expert or anything.
Reply/Quote
Mike Gundy had him 3 years and didn’t utilize him? To me that’s a question mark. Gundy has had plenty of solid tight ends. Now the reverse is that players do transfer in the portal and realize this is it. You have to get it right. Truthfully I like Charlie Kolar of ISU better. The kid was a great high school basketball player. He’s athletic in a different way than Woods. I also think Campbell develops talent well. I like Woods too though.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 04:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: How can argue with a guy who's You Tube video has 14k views?  Seriously, what's with all the Madden rating content on his 5 year old channel.  Looks like an amateur draftnik following his passion, which is cool and all, but his word isn't something I'd be throwing up here as expert or anything.

I can't help it you haven't heard of him....MANY others on this board will tell you he knows what he's talking about.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 08:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mike Gundy had him 3 years and didn’t utilize him? To me that’s a question mark. Gundy has had plenty of solid tight ends. Now the reverse is that players do transfer in the portal and realize this is it. You have to get it right. Truthfully I like Charlie Kolar of ISU better. The kid was a great high school basketball player. He’s athletic in a different way than Woods. I also think Campbell develops talent well. I like Woods too though.

He came to Oklahoma St as a QB and sat behind Mason Rudolph and others and changed positions...after they didnt use him at TE he transferred and once he got to play you saw what he did.....might be nice if you know the whole story before coming to conclusions you have no idea about. Kolar is prob my favorite TE in the draft and has been for a while....but Woods upside is higher than any other TE in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 04:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: How can argue with a guy who's You Tube video has 14k views?  Seriously, what's with all the Madden rating content on his 5 year old channel.  Looks like an amateur draftnik following his passion, which is cool and all, but his word isn't something I'd be throwing up here as expert or anything.

14K views in less than 2 days yeah that sucks Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 08:56 PM)pulses Wrote: I can't help it you haven't heard of him....MANY others on this board will tell you he knows what he's talking about.

Sorry, I've never seen anyone on these boards cite him before now. Doesn't mean they haven't, just I've never seen it.  Seriously, this is a guy who included rookie Madden ratings in his position ratings for the draft in previous years.  His channel is mostly Madden, fantasy, and NFL power rankings content.  

That aside, he's one guy.  The source I cited is the average of 67 different Big Boards.  You can always find outliers when it comes to draft evaluation.  I hold Lance Zierlein in pretty high regard, but he has Bryan Cook as the #3 S in this class, ahead of Hill, Pitre, Cine, Cross, Joseph, etc.  
Reply/Quote
Could he be a little of a "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type? The 10% drop rate is concerning.

https://underdognetwork.com/football/can-the-most-athletic-prospects-in-the-2022-nfl-draft-actually-play-football

The buzz is built on highlights. The barreling over multiple Pittsburgh defenders. Seam shot against Illinois and bouncing off defensive backs. Slant versus Wake Forest where he runs over the Wake Forest safety. Woods is a massive human rumbling when trying to get vertical. Size is a skill in this case as defenders do have a tough time wrapping up on him.

The question I come back to is if Woods can create space on his own, or will it need to be created for him via spacing, delayed routes or alignments. There is no suddenness. Runs a whip route and the grass turns into quicksand. When the defense is instructed to be physical with him near the line of scrimmage, Woods struggles to work around that wall, choosing to go through it instead) and that pacing slows the entire progression down.

Maybe a Mike Gesicki linear style could be in Jelani Woods’ future? I would never call Gesicki agile or sudden, but he looks like Hunter Renfrow compared to Woods. Or is a Donald Parham redzone, seam or sideline role a possibility for the soon-to-be Cavalier?

But Can He Play? I’m Dubious. The reason Jelani Woods did not receiver more opportunities is because he did not create them. A 10% drop rate does not help. There is not a comparable player with this style that sustained success. It would be different if his size was an asset in the running game.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 09:00 PM)pulses Wrote: He came to Oklahoma St as a QB and sat behind Mason Rudolph and others and changed positions...after they didnt use him at TE he transferred and once he got to play you saw what he did.....might be nice if you know the whole story before coming to conclusions you have no idea about. Kolar is prob my favorite TE in the draft and has been for a while....but Woods upside is higher than any other TE in the draft.

I called a player from OSU. Jelani was under utilized by Gundy but he played as a receiver his redshirt freshman year. I stand by my comments. Jelani was a late bloomer. I said I liked him. I said I liked Tolar better.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 10:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I called a player from OSU. Jelani was under utilized by Gundy but he played as a receiver his redshirt freshman year. I stand by my comments. Jelani was a late bloomer. I said I liked him. I said I liked Tolar better.

Kolar is more polished indeed and he's my fav TE in this draft. I just think Woods has more upside. But I wouldn't be mad with either. I also Like Bellinger. San Diego St. used a 3 TE rotation which is why his numbers were low( he didn't drop a pass last year) Bellinger was the best of the 3 and should have played him more.
Reply/Quote
To me, everything Woods does seems incredibly stiff and mechanical. The athletic testing numbers just don't seem to translate to his actual play...at least to this point.

Just my opinion, but if I were going to draft a tall, rangy TE that didn't offer much in terms of blocking...just give me Cole Turner on day 3. His highpoint and catch radius are absolutely insane, with a high contested catch win rate. He also had only 3 drops in 93 targets last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 10:12 PM)stripedwarrior Wrote: Could he be a little of a "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type?  The 10% drop rate is concerning.

https://underdognetwork.com/football/can-the-most-athletic-prospects-in-the-2022-nfl-draft-actually-play-football

The buzz is built on highlights. The barreling over multiple Pittsburgh defenders. Seam shot against Illinois and bouncing off defensive backs. Slant versus Wake Forest where he runs over the Wake Forest safety. Woods is a massive human rumbling when trying to get vertical. Size is a skill in this case as defenders do have a tough time wrapping up on him.

The question I come back to is if Woods can create space on his own, or will it need to be created for him via spacing, delayed routes or alignments. There is no suddenness. Runs a whip route and the grass turns into quicksand. When the defense is instructed to be physical with him near the line of scrimmage, Woods struggles to work around that wall, choosing to go through it instead) and that pacing slows the entire progression down.

Maybe a Mike Gesicki linear style could be in Jelani Woods’ future? I would never call Gesicki agile or sudden, but he looks like Hunter Renfrow compared to Woods. Or is a Donald Parham redzone, seam or sideline role a possibility for the soon-to-be Cavalier?

But Can He Play? I’m Dubious. The reason Jelani Woods did not receiver more opportunities is because he did not create them. A 10% drop rate does not help. There is not a comparable player with this style that sustained success. It would be different if his size was an asset in the running game.

Probably because he played hurt the last 8 games of the season.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 07:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: To me, everything Woods does seems incredibly stiff and mechanical. The athletic testing numbers just don't seem to translate to his actual play...at least to this point.

Just my opinion, but if I were going to draft a tall, rangy TE that didn't offer much in terms of blocking...just give me Cole Turner on day 3. His highpoint and catch radius are absolutely insane, with a high contested catch win rate. He also had only 3 drops in 93 targets last year.

Best pass catching TE in this draft is Charlie Kolar hands down.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/02/02/5-sure-handed-te-prospects-ny-jets-2022-nfl-draft/
Reply/Quote