Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT
(02-05-2019, 10:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He was there from 08-11, so I'm afraid that he was part of Ogbuehi's development..

https://12thman.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934&path=football

I personally do not want any part of this guy,it will just bring ugly press here constantly and be a huge downer.Please can you just find a hungry guy in the college ranks,this guy will not be welcomed here and it will be a huge negative to ZT. Whats up with this crap????? Cool Cool Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 04:13 PM)Goncrazzy Wrote: I totally get what your saying.  Everyone is allowed to have an opinion,  no you aint gotta like each person he brings in.  But you gotta at least give him a chance to work and see what happens.  

I get what your saying about the coaches too,  hell I would love to see some better names brought in,  but at this point in time its slim pickings to be honest.  Give em a chance to see what happens this next season,  if we gotta replace some people at the end of next season we'll have more opportunity to grab some.  For now it ain't gonna do much good to get all riled up over something we can't do shit about,  and they don't have a whole lotta top candidates to choose from.   

and the other argument is this Better names have been in the league bouncing around...  so are they getting hired cause of their names? cause they seem to be getting let go due to their results...
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 03:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Which I found odd considering Pollack worked as an assistant to Callahan in Dallas...

Maybe Pollack needed more time but then again, Dallas let him go for a reason.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 08:41 AM)Trademark Wrote: And my excitement for Taylor is falling off a cliff

Give it 30 seconds. You're like a tissue in the middle of a hurricane. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
From what I have seen this guy has got into trouble for giving out a homophobic gift and making sexist jokes. Both are in bad taste but not the worse thing I have ever heard.
Has he ever been in trouble with the law?
My biggest question is can he coach, I'm not surprised that Taylor would pick coaches he knows most of use would.
Personally I will wait till I see how the team plays before I judge his staff.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:15 PM)mon4078 Wrote: From what I have seen this guy has got into trouble for giving out a homophobic gift and making sexist jokes. Both are in bad taste but not the worse thing I have ever heard.
Has he ever been in trouble with the law?
My biggest question is can he coach, I'm not surprised that Taylor would pick coaches he knows most of use would.
Personally I will wait till I see how the team plays before I judge his staff.

I realize that in today's social/political climate, those things sound terrible.  But, in the world of aggressive contact sport, some would consider those to be endorsements of an Alpha personality.  I am only concerned about how well he can motivate large men to defeat other large men in the trenches of a football field.  I could care less how he scores in the Man of the Year balloting.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I realize that in today's social/political climate, those things sound terrible.  But, in the world of aggressive contact sport, some would consider those to be endorsements of an Alpha personality.  I am only concerned about how well he can motivate large men to defeat other large men in the trenches of a football field.  I could care less how he scores in the Man of the Year balloting.

Very true.
Reply/Quote
I won't lie I was really hoping for Bill Callahan or Mike Sherman for OL Coach. Preferably both with Sherman in an advisory role.
Reply/Quote
Bad leader and bad coach.

However, this is honestly the only move the Bengals have made this offseason that I don't like
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I will at least admit it's a better hire than Paul Alexander. Maybe this guy can get our line to be nasty.

Here is Jim Turner's bio from Texas A&M's website:

"Known for his unwavering attention to detail, Jim Turner will serve as the offensive line coach on head coach Jimbo Fisher’s first staff at Texas A&M. 

It will be Turner’s third stint of service at Texas A&M, having served as offensive line coach for Mike Sherman from 2008-11 and then returning for two more seasons under Kevin Sumlin from 2016-17.
A veteran of more than 20 seasons of coaching experience at all levels of football, Turner has developed multiple NFL offensive linemen at Texas A&M including NFL first-round selections Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi

The past two seasons, the Aggies’ O-line crew cleared the way for balanced offenses that gained more than 2,000 rushing yards while also passing for 3,000-plus yards, which was accomplished by only a handful of teams in the FBS. Two members of the 2016 offensive front have earned roster spots in the NFL – Jermaine Eluemenor (Baltimore Ravens) and Avery Gennesy (Jacksonville Jaguars).

Among the highlights in Turner’s first stint with the Aggies were the 2011 offensive unit ranking in the Top 25 in total offense (No. 7), scoring offense (No. 11), passing offense (No. 18) and rushing offense (No. 24). The 2011 offensive line allowed just nine quarterback sacks in 13 games (on 537 pass attempts). From 2009-11, the Aggies ranked among the nation’s top 25 teams in total offense while averaging more than 440 total yards each season. The 2009 unit ranked fifth nationally with 465.8 yards per game and seventh in 2011 with an average of 490.2 total yards.

Among the offensive linemen signed and developed by Turner during his first stay at Texas A&M included Patrick Lewis (Seattle Seahawks), Joeckel (No. 2 overall pick in 2013 NFL Draft), Matthews (No. 9 overall pick in 2014), Ogbuehi (No. 21 overall pick in 2015) and Jarvis Harrison (New York Jets).

When Turner left Texas A&M after the 2011 Meinecke Car Care Bowl of Texas victory, he served as offensive line coach in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins (2012-13).

The 2013 Dolphins improved their win total for the second-straight season and got off to a 3-0 start, the first time since 2002. In 2012, Turner guided an offensive line that paved the way for Miami to finish eighth in the AFC in rushing yards per game (112.6) and seventh in rushing yards per play (4.10). Prior to coming to Aggieland the first time, Turner coached offensive line at his alma mater of Boston College in 2007. Before serving in Chestnut Hill, Turner worked two seasons (2005-06) as offensive line coach at the University of Delaware. In 2006, Turner was assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator for the Fightin’ Blue Hens.

Turner’s background includes stops at Temple in 2003-04 as the offensive line coach as well as three years (2000-02) as the offensive line and run game coordinator for Harvard.

Turner spent one season as the offensive line coach for Louisiana Tech in 1999.
From 1994 through 1998, Turner coached at Northeastern University working with the offensive line and tight ends in 1994-95, before switching to running backs and special teams in 1996, and ending his tenure there as the defensive line and special teams in 1997 and 1998.

A native of Braintree, Massachusetts, Turner was a four-year letterman for Coach Jack Bicknell at Boston College as a fullback. He played in two bowl games, the Cotton and Hall of Fame. His senior season he was named a team captain.
After earning his degree in sociology in 1988 from Boston College, Turner began his coaching career at his high school alma mater of Braintree. He spent the 1989 season in London, England, as the offensive coordinator of the Kent Rams before serving in the United States Marine Corps as an infantry officer in Europe, the Middle East and Japan from 1990-94.

Turner is married and his wife’s name is Patricia. They have one son, Michael."

And here's a list of his work history:

Education

College             Boston College, bachelor’s degree in sociology, 1988

Military Experience

1990-94        U.S. Marine Corps / Infantry Officer

Coaching Experience

1988              Braintree (Mass.) HS (Offense)
1989              Kent (London) Rams (Offensive Coor. / Player-Coach)
1994-95        Northeastern (OL / TE)
1996              Northeastern (RB)
1997-98        Northeastern (DL)
1999              Louisiana Tech (OL)
2000-02        Harvard (OL / Run Game Coor.)
2003-04        Temple (OL)
2005-06        Delaware (OL)
2006              Delaware (Asst. HC / RC)
2007              Boston College (OL)
2008-11        Texas A&M (OL)
2012-13        Miami Dolphins (OL)
2016-18        Texas A&M (OL)
2019-            Cincinnati Bengals (OL)

Things I like after reading all of his history here. I like a OL coach with a military background. I also like that he has had steady work at the Offensive Line position for 20 years and at multiple levels of competition.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:39 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I would rather have piano man than this guy. Hopefully just another smoke screen.

ZTaylor said players want to be coached HARD at his introduction presser with MBrown. So we got a OLine coach who coaches.... hard?  That is the complete opposite of PA.

Also if he got Ced started to becoming a 1st rd draft pick. Maybe he can fix him?  Maybe some Power Points and hazing is all our line needed.

But at the end of the day, he came out and said he will be a hard coach (that is opposite to Marv and Tomlin*)... so I'm behind this pick.

*man the Steelers situation... WTH man.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:43 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Bad leader and bad coach.

However, this is honestly the only move the Bengals have made this offseason that I don't like

He was a Marine Infantry Officer. I seriously doubt he is a bad leader as a NFL coach. Maybe I'm biased, but I like this guy. The line of scrimmage is the most violent area of the football field. The meaner the better.  SJWs and PC bs has drastically changed over the course of our lives.  I doubt many of us couldn't be called out for some of the stuff now-a-days.  Some of the words I find myself using I don't even mean, but I grew up using certain words... just saying.

Why is there punishment if there is no redemption? Times change, people change...
Reply/Quote
This is an abymal hire. Seriously could not have been worse. Paul Alexander would have been a draw.

I’m not going to let this temper my excitement, but damn. Strike One, Zac.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Is this official?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Does anyone on the board have connections with someone that could ask Coach Taylor or Coach Turner about the issues in Miami and Texas A&M and what he has done to improve in those areas since then?
Reply/Quote
Just catching up with the news but i'm a bit concerened!!
My concern is that there has been NO announcement that this guy has actually been hired and most people on the board are already losing faith and complaining that we are turning into the '13 Dolphins.
The only person that has been officially hired is Zac, let him build his team and then we can see who is in the building and can we not at least wait until he has his players on the practice field before we start complaining about who we think we might be turning into.
Just because he might hire someone he worked with at the Dolphins doesn't mean we will turn into them, Zac has worked with one of the best Offensive teams over the last 2 years, I personally think he will take more from that.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 02:41 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Does anyone on the board have connections with someone that could ask Coach Taylor or Coach Turner about the issues in Miami and Texas A&M and what he has done to improve in those areas since then?

Not me, but if I did that is not the question that would even be in the top 100. My questions would be, how are you going to improve this line and protect Andy.... I personally don't care if he makes innuendos on power point presentations in his spare time as long as he fixes this line. How much you want to bet after Redmond gets his ass completely chewed out in he quits false starting?
Reply/Quote
I started to write about this last night. Personally i don't have a problem with off color humor. If he was a stand up comedian, i would have laughed at his jokes. Time and place for everything, maybe that was not it. Saying this i feel like Costanza in the office: "was that wrong?"OTOH: Jeez, it's not like he punched out a girl at a bar, shattering her jaw, yet almost to a man you have forgiven the guy b/c he's talented (mixon). This coach makes a few jokes that might be considered in poor taste given the context of the situation, and you're ready to throw him and our new HC off a cliff? Really?

The incognito/martin situation sounds like a difficult situation that was handled poorly. Both men in question were troubled to say the least, though.

All of you who are willing to give Mixon, pacman, et al, second chances need to step back and take a breath or something.

If in fact this guy is hired.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 09:46 AM) pid=\677929' Wrote:Don't care about the off color jokes at all. I care about the fact that he's a poor OL coach and he has Ooogeyboogie stank. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Ah, c'mon... the Pass Protection sign that said "Don't let him inside you" was funny.....
Reply/Quote