Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT
(02-06-2019, 07:55 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I will at least admit it's a better hire than Paul Alexander. Maybe this guy can get our line to be nasty.

Here is Jim Turner's bio from Texas A&M's website:

"Known for his unwavering attention to detail, Jim Turner will serve as the offensive line coach on head coach Jimbo Fisher’s first staff at Texas A&M. 

It will be Turner’s third stint of service at Texas A&M, having served as offensive line coach for Mike Sherman from 2008-11 and then returning for two more seasons under Kevin Sumlin from 2016-17.
A veteran of more than 20 seasons of coaching experience at all levels of football, Turner has developed multiple NFL offensive linemen at Texas A&M including NFL first-round selections Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi

The past two seasons, the Aggies’ O-line crew cleared the way for balanced offenses that gained more than 2,000 rushing yards while also passing for 3,000-plus yards, which was accomplished by only a handful of teams in the FBS. Two members of the 2016 offensive front have earned roster spots in the NFL – Jermaine Eluemenor (Baltimore Ravens) and Avery Gennesy (Jacksonville Jaguars).

Among the highlights in Turner’s first stint with the Aggies were the 2011 offensive unit ranking in the Top 25 in total offense (No. 7), scoring offense (No. 11), passing offense (No. 18) and rushing offense (No. 24). The 2011 offensive line allowed just nine quarterback sacks in 13 games (on 537 pass attempts). From 2009-11, the Aggies ranked among the nation’s top 25 teams in total offense while averaging more than 440 total yards each season. The 2009 unit ranked fifth nationally with 465.8 yards per game and seventh in 2011 with an average of 490.2 total yards.

Among the offensive linemen signed and developed by Turner during his first stay at Texas A&M included Patrick Lewis (Seattle Seahawks), Joeckel (No. 2 overall pick in 2013 NFL Draft), Matthews (No. 9 overall pick in 2014), Ogbuehi (No. 21 overall pick in 2015) and Jarvis Harrison (New York Jets).

When Turner left Texas A&M after the 2011 Meinecke Car Care Bowl of Texas victory, he served as offensive line coach in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins (2012-13).

The 2013 Dolphins improved their win total for the second-straight season and got off to a 3-0 start, the first time since 2002. In 2012, Turner guided an offensive line that paved the way for Miami to finish eighth in the AFC in rushing yards per game (112.6) and seventh in rushing yards per play (4.10). Prior to coming to Aggieland the first time, Turner coached offensive line at his alma mater of Boston College in 2007. Before serving in Chestnut Hill, Turner worked two seasons (2005-06) as offensive line coach at the University of Delaware. In 2006, Turner was assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator for the Fightin’ Blue Hens.

Turner’s background includes stops at Temple in 2003-04 as the offensive line coach as well as three years (2000-02) as the offensive line and run game coordinator for Harvard.

Turner spent one season as the offensive line coach for Louisiana Tech in 1999.
From 1994 through 1998, Turner coached at Northeastern University working with the offensive line and tight ends in 1994-95, before switching to running backs and special teams in 1996, and ending his tenure there as the defensive line and special teams in 1997 and 1998.

A native of Braintree, Massachusetts, Turner was a four-year letterman for Coach Jack Bicknell at Boston College as a fullback. He played in two bowl games, the Cotton and Hall of Fame. His senior season he was named a team captain.
After earning his degree in sociology in 1988 from Boston College, Turner began his coaching career at his high school alma mater of Braintree. He spent the 1989 season in London, England, as the offensive coordinator of the Kent Rams before serving in the United States Marine Corps as an infantry officer in Europe, the Middle East and Japan from 1990-94.

Turner is married and his wife’s name is Patricia. They have one son, Michael."

And here's a list of his work history:

Education

College             Boston College, bachelor’s degree in sociology, 1988

Military Experience

1990-94        U.S. Marine Corps / Infantry Officer

Coaching Experience

1988              Braintree (Mass.) HS (Offense)
1989              Kent (London) Rams (Offensive Coor. / Player-Coach)
1994-95        Northeastern (OL / TE)
1996              Northeastern (RB)
1997-98        Northeastern (DL)
1999              Louisiana Tech (OL)
2000-02        Harvard (OL / Run Game Coor.)
2003-04        Temple (OL)
2005-06        Delaware (OL)
2006              Delaware (Asst. HC / RC)
2007              Boston College (OL)
2008-11        Texas A&M (OL)
2012-13        Miami Dolphins (OL)
2016-18        Texas A&M (OL)
2019-            Cincinnati Bengals (OL)

Things I like after reading all of his history here. I like a OL coach with a military background. I also like that he has had steady work at the Offensive Line position for 20 years and at multiple levels of competition.

(02-06-2019, 10:52 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: ZTaylor said players want to be coached HARD at his introduction presser with MBrown. So we got a OLine coach who coaches.... hard?  That is the complete opposite of PA.

Also if he got Ced started to becoming a 1st rd draft pick. Maybe he can fix him?  Maybe some Power Points and hazing is all our line needed.

But at the end of the day, he came out and said he will be a hard coach (that is opposite to Marv and Tomlin*)... so I'm behind this pick.

*man the Steelers situation... WTH man.

(02-06-2019, 11:07 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: He was a Marine Infantry Officer. I seriously doubt he is a bad leader as a NFL coach. Maybe I'm biased, but I like this guy. The line of scrimmage is the most violent area of the football field. The meaner the better.  SJWs and PC bs has drastically changed over the course of our lives.  I doubt many of us couldn't be called out for some of the stuff now-a-days.  Some of the words I find myself using I don't even mean, but I grew up using certain words... just saying.

Why is there punishment if there is no redemption? Times change, people change...

Thanks guys, warming up to the hire, think he will definately be better than PA.

Lets just get him a FA and an early pick to work with...
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:08 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is this official?

According to Jimbo Fisher, it is.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/6/18213696/bengals-hiring-jim-turner-as-ol-coach-per-jimbo-fisher

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So Turner was a Marine. I think I figured out what happened in Miami!

Colonel Jessup ordered a code red on Martin. He had Turner sign a phony transfer order and when it all went bad he set up Icognito to take the fall.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 11:59 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks guys, warming up to the hire, think he will definately be better than PA.

Lets just get him a FA and an early pick to work with...

Likewise. The Oline (and the entire team for that matter) has definitely needed some nastiness. Way too much lackadaisical crap happened under Marvin’s watch. Let’s hope Turner can bring the fire and intensity this team needs
Reply/Quote
Here is a video interview you may want to watch on Turner.  Also, Martin was NOT the recipient of the male blowup doll, it was given to Andrew McDonald, who was apparently the butt end of a running joke....he was the "Player A" listed in the report.  This is what "offended" Martin.....who we now know is a bit of a whack job himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8NdxFjJts

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBaFwqfnQTM

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well, there is no doubt Icognito has mental issues, but I wonder how much this episode and being labeled a racist bully by a man he considered a close friend contributed to his meltdown.
Reply/Quote
After reading and watching his interviews I just don't see him as being a terrible person. He was raised in Military/football culture and is the style of coach I always liked having. Jon Martin is a nutjob who sees the world in a different light than everyone around him and I feel like Jim Turner got scaped goat on an issue that the Dolphins didn't know how to handle. It's his job to make him the best lineman possible not be his psychologist. Like seriously are we gonna blame the tight ends coach that Aaron Hernandez was a serial killer?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
From the first time i read the text message between Martin and Incognito, a few years back, it seemed to me that Martin was being guided by outsiders in how it all turned out. No doubt he had/has some mental issues and there's no doubt that Incognito has some as well as him being a stereotypical locker room douche. That said, there's no denying that in the couple of instances where Incognito found out Martin was having some issues, he reached out in the manner that a friend would and offered to help in any way he could. 

It seems that any time there is one of these reports, someone is made out to be a scapegoat. Like Incognito, Turner is an old school locker room type guy. 

At this point, i don't care so much anymore if the Bengals players or coaches are alter boys or douche bags. Go win some damn playoff games and get to a SB. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just give Jim Turner a chance if he turns out a bum then so be it.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 06:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Just give Jim Turner a chance if he turns out a bum then so be it.

When Zac says he's willing to defend this choice to anyone, that tells me everything I need to know.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I But, in the world of aggressive contact sport, some would consider those to be endorsements of an Alpha personality. 

I don't think so.  I knew a few guys who made it to the NFL and the guys they considered Alpha Males were grown men who took care of their business like adults.  They were not very impressed with ******** cavemen who acted like middle school boys.
Reply/Quote
As a retired officer of the USN, I find this guy nothing more than scum of the earth. It's not how we are taught to act. I won't say anymore about him.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I realize that in today's social/political climate, those things sound terrible.  But, in the world of aggressive contact sport, some would consider those to be endorsements of an Alpha personality.  I am only concerned about how well he can motivate large men to defeat other large men in the trenches of a football field.  I could care less how he scores in the Man of the Year balloting.

I agree. After watching those videos he came off as a good coach. What am I missing?
Reply/Quote
God he has a thick accent.

(Mind you this is coming from a Southeasterner)
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 07:57 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I agree. After watching those videos he came off as a good coach. What am I missing?

Without drifting into matter for another forum, I'll just say that we live in a hypersensitive society.  Being a professional, we can only hope that Coach Turner has learned some valuable lessons about what sort of actions are unacceptable and what types of humor are unsavory in modern society.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:06 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: God he has a thick accent.

(Mind you this is coming from a Southeasterner)

New Yorker, right?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 07:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: As a retired officer of the USN, I find this guy nothing more than scum of the earth. It's not how we are taught to act. I won't say anymore about him.

Lol as a former NCO in the US Army (Hooah). I can say with all honesty that off color jokes and practical jokes such as funny gifts were quite common.

Edit: I'll never forget in basic training the drill sergeants having guys walk around flapping their arms saying "I'm a f***ing fairy I cant pull back the charging handle" when we were training on the 50 cal. It was hilarious lolol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: New Yorker, right?

That my friend, is a "Baastan" accent lol! He was born in Boston, raised in a small town in Massachusettes, and went to Boston College. Whatever you do, don't confuse them to their face. It gets ugly fast!
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 01:25 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Likewise. The Oline (and the entire team for that matter) has definitely needed some nastiness. Way too much lackadaisical crap happened under Marvin’s watch. Let’s hope Turner can bring the fire and intensity this team needs

No doubt, i don't want my O-line coach to be a fuzz ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 11:48 PM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: That my friend, is a "Baastan" accent lol! He was born in Boston, raised in a small town in Massachusettes, and went to Boston College. Whatever you do, don't confuse them to their face. It gets ugly fast!

No doubt. Turner isn’t the type of guy who drinks “cawfee” and “wuhter”. He’s the kind of guy who “pahks his cah down by Bahston Hahbah”.
Reply/Quote